Rate Parfums de Nicolai Fragrances In Order That Are FB Worthy IYO!

slickadam

Feb 10, 2016
New York Intense
Patchouli Intense (dry, sour and soapy, old-school smelling. but great. and it's NUCLEAR. one spray is more than enough...)
Odalisque (bit femme, but the oakmoss and dirty musk balance it out)
Vanille Tonka (dry, warm and almost bitter, non-gourmand vanille with incense (EO, not the smoke accord), basil and lemon / lime)

Bangkok Hound

User of Toilet Water
Basenotes Plus
Nov 4, 2015
I own three, which are the only ones I've tried:

1. Patchouli Intense
2. Cuir Cuba Intense
3. New York Intense

I love all three, so while I ranked them, they're very close. I'm trying to convince myself to go for the 30ml bottles so I can increase my Nicolai herd faster, but the 100ml bottle is a hard habit to break.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
In my experience, Nicolai is one of the best niche houses. I like these:

Odalisque (1989)
Maharanih Intense (2008)
Patchouli Intense / Patchouli Homme (2009)
Musc Intense (2012)

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Many of them are bottle worthy (plus the brand sells also smaller bottles, which is great). But anyway:

Odalisque (floral chypre)
New York (citrus woods)
Cologne sologne (in large quantities as a freshener for skin and gym stuff)

But I also own and enjoy Patchouli intense, vie de chateau, Temps d'un fete (not sure these two exist anymore), Baladin, Maharanih.

cacio

slickadam

Feb 10, 2016
Many of them are bottle worthy (plus the brand sells also smaller bottles, which is great). But anyway:

Odalisque (floral chypre)
New York (citrus woods)
Cologne sologne (in large quantities as a freshener for skin and gym stuff)

But I also own and enjoy Patchouli intense, vie de chateau, Temps d'un fete (not sure these two exist anymore), Baladin, Maharanih.

cacio

how does Maharanih compare to Patchouli Intense? some say these are similar scents. or maybe just their strength or "texture"... don't know. thinking about blind buying it (i own the patch)

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Maharainih is a classic oriental (ambers, vanilla), of the vanillic type (ie more Shalimar than Opium), but lighter. There is some patch but is not prominent. Patch intense is an acidic, light patch. So they are different. But it's true that they both feel lighter and cleaner than the usual members of their respective categories (orientals and patchoulis respectively).

If you like vanillic orientals, you should be ok with Maharanih.

cacio

slickadam

Feb 10, 2016
Maharainih is a classic oriental (ambers, vanilla), of the vanillic type (ie more Shalimar than Opium), but lighter. There is some patch but is not prominent. Patch intense is an acidic, light patch. So they are different. But it's true that they both feel lighter and cleaner than the usual members of their respective categories (orientals and patchoulis respectively).

If you like vanillic orientals, you should be ok with Maharanih.

cacio

thanx! :)

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
In my experience, Nicolai is one of the best niche houses. I like these:

Odalisque (1989)
Maharanih Intense (2008)
Patchouli Intense / Patchouli Homme (2009)
Musc Intense (2012)

Thinking about an answer tonight, three years later, the only one that has stuck in the memory is Patchouli Intense.

Bangkok Hound

User of Toilet Water
Basenotes Plus
Nov 4, 2015
I own three, which are the only ones I've tried:

1. Patchouli Intense
2. Cuir Cuba Intense
3. New York Intense

I love all three, so while I ranked them, they're very close. I'm trying to convince myself to go for the 30ml bottles so I can increase my Nicolai herd faster, but the 100ml bottle is a hard habit to break.

Since this post, I've added 30ml bottles of Amber Oud (huge dissapointment), Cedrat Intense (smells great, but not intense), Neroli Intense (I appreciate this one, but 30ml is enough), and Cologne Sologne (excellent cologne, especially for the price.) So, I'd add Cologne Sologne to my list above list.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I've only tried three, so here is my ranking so far:

1. Fig Tea
2. Cap Neroli
3. Ambre Cashmere

Although I do have a sample of New York Intense which I'll be reaching for soon. I've heard good things about that one.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I'm loving New York these days more than the Intense version... and I am talking current versions for both.

Another one that is very underrated in my opinion is Bois Belize Intense - absolutely intoxicating, powerful with only a few sprays and never overpowering or cloying. It lasts ages on both skin and clothes.

vitaman

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 14, 2008
So wanted to like New York and the Intense version. Was in NYC when I first tried. Just seemed like nothing special. Not bad by any means, just would become one of those half dozen bottles that you reach for........ and then realize you have better choices.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I've only tried three, so here is my ranking so far:

1. Fig Tea
2. Cap Neroli
3. Ambre Cashmere

Although I do have a sample of New York Intense which I'll be reaching for soon. I've heard good things about that one.
New York Intense takes the cake.

sables

Jun 3, 2005
New York / New York Intense
Vie de Chateau/ Vie de Chateau Intense
Pour Homme - unfortunately discontinued
Patchouli Homme / Patchouli Intense
Odalisque
Baladin - unfortunately discontinued

Latest News