Raspberry Ketone

mnitabach

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 13, 2020
Just got this material, diluted to 10% in ethanol. I can barely smell it, on a test strip its so so faint, any tips on working with this stuff?

It's not super strong smelling on its own & takes practice. BUT, it is mega powerful in blends. Take a a simple citrus floral musky composition & compare with & without raspberry ketone at 1% of formula.

D

Deleted member 26328009

Speaking strictly out of own evalutation/assessment of raspberry ketone @ 10% in DPG: in my experience, this material needs to be evaluated deliberately and not in a hurry. RK on its own appears to me quite powerful and diffusive (it's able to fill a room* during the first days on strip at 10%). After more than 3 weeks on the scent strip, I can still smell it from a distance of at least 30 cm/1 ft.

Maybe, RK could be regarded in a similar way like other diffusive but not utterly voluminous/high-impact materials like Hedione, IES, Lyral etc. - Although my opinion about RK's power/impact on its own may differ a bit to Mike, I definetely agree with him about prudent dosage. - This material's power (and tenacity) really shouldn't be underestimated.

*) Of course you need a neutral room, free of other aromachemicals/materials. Evaluation for this material definetely should be done separately, i.e. don't try to evaluate other materials at the same time in the same room. (Well, this applies in my opinion to every evaluation.)

AJ Dave

Aug 5, 2020
Raspberry ketone is weird. I used to not be able to smell at all at any dilution. I thought it was the wrong thing. Then months later I would get hints a very faint smell. More than a year later, I could clearly smell it without even opening the bottle, and I can also smell it straight from the bottle.

Jolieo

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 18, 2018
Raspberry ketone is weird. I used to not be able to smell at all at any dilution. I thought it was the wrong thing. Then months later I would get hints a very faint smell. More than a year later, I could clearly smell it without even opening the bottle, and I can also smell it straight from the bottle.
Exactly the same for me-

birdie

Dec 11, 2016
You're probably like me. I get anosmic to it in half a second. When I use it in high dilution in a blend I can smell it clearly though. I think maybe it's a sensitivity thing.

fashionapple

Nov 16, 2021
Same, i just got that thinking as soon ill test it it will fill the room with raspberries but to my utter disspointment I didnt didnt smell anything. But the replies above have given me hope.

parker25mv

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 12, 2016
Same, i just got that thinking as soon ill test it it will fill the room with raspberries but to my utter disspointment I didnt didnt smell anything.
I think it is only a part of the smell of raspberries, but is the most important critical part.

I think you will find if you add a just a tiny hint of beta-damascone it will really start bringing the raspberry ketone to life. It will immediately start smelling much more reminiscent of raspberries (though perhaps still in an ethereal transparent non-substantive sort of way). Other fruity materials and ACs will be needed if you want to flesh it out. But raspberry ketone is the "backbone".

You will probably need to use much larger amounts of raspberry ketone than other things.

fashionapple

Nov 16, 2021
I think it is only a part of the smell of raspberries, but is the most important critical part.

I think you will find if you add a just a tiny hint of beta-damascone it will really start bringing the raspberry ketone to life. It will immediately start smelling much more reminiscent of raspberries (though perhaps still in an ethereal transparent non-substantive sort of way). Other fruity materials and ACs will be needed if you want to flesh it out. But raspberry ketone is the "backbone".

You will probably need to use much larger amounts of raspberry ketone than other things.
Thanks, I have seen that pellwall has a formula of thr raspberry accord which mean that the smell of raspberries like you said is much more complex that just that of raspberry ketones. Ill try to get my hand on thr formula to explore more

AJ Dave

Aug 5, 2020
I never used raspberry ketone. How can you describe its smell?

By itself? Some say raspberry jam. To me, raspberries smell more like ionones. So for me, raspberry ketone smells like something in-between strawberry glycidate and makeup like lipstick or face powder. It makes me think of generic red fruits, but not raspberry in particular.

Yuri-G

Basenotes Junkie
Sep 13, 2020
By itself? Some say raspberry jam. To me, raspberries smell more like ionones. So for me, raspberry ketone smells like something in-between strawberry glycidate and makeup like lipstick or face powder. It makes me think of generic red fruits, but not raspberry in particular.
I agree with this 100%. Very much like makeup, but with a red fruit background.

Sam Macer

Feb 26, 2020
thinking as soon ill test it it will fill the room with raspberries but to my utter disspointment I didnt didnt smell anything. But the replies above have given me hope.
Same for me - I haven't touched it in a year but am now inspired to re-visit it. Thank you for everyone's expertise in this thread.

I noticed a beautiful but fleeting raspberry smell a couple of times from the lids of bottles which had contained it in a trial after being double washed and dried - not sure what happened to those now. I tried diluting it to 10%, 1%, 0.1%, 0.01% and even 0.001% when I first got it and smelled nothing from either. A good raspberry accord has for sure been the most elusive thing I've tried in perfumery so far.

fashionapple

Nov 16, 2021
Same for me - I haven't touched it in a year but am now inspired to re-visit it. Thank you for everyone's expertise in this thread.

I noticed a beautiful but fleeting raspberry smell a couple of times from the lids of bottles which had contained it in a trial after being double washed and dried - not sure what happened to those now. I tried diluting it to 10%, 1%, 0.1%, 0.01% and even 0.001% when I first got it and smelled nothing from either. A good raspberry accord has for sure been the most elusive thing I've tried in perfumery so far.
Hey Sam good to see you here. I was about to comment on one of your videos if you could do a raspberry accord. I know uve done strawberry so it would be awesome if you try raspberry too.

Yuri-G

Basenotes Junkie
Sep 13, 2020
What would people say is a good percentage range at which to use RK in a formula? For me it doesn't seem to stand out, so not sure if I'm using it at too low a percentage but, on the other hand, I don't want to weigh the formula down.

Sam Macer

Feb 26, 2020
Hey Sam good to see you here. I was about to comment on one of your videos if you could do a raspberry accord. I know uve done strawberry so it would be awesome if you try raspberry too.
Haha nice - yeah maybe if I can find the time in the next few months I could do a vlog on it and you can see what I come up with regardless of if it's successful. Remind me if I forget ;)

GallupPerfume

Basenotes Member
Nov 8, 2021
Just got this material, diluted to 10% in ethanol. I can barely smell it, on a test strip its so so faint, any tips on working with this stuff?
I dilute mine 10% in DPG, (which holds crystals in suspension better) and agree with those that have said 'don't under estimate it'. It is strong, especially in combination with other materials. It may be that you need to train your nose more, or in time that will come about. as you anchor them in your memory. If its new to you, maybe the alcohol is making it to fleeting. Test a small amount in another medium, see what happens.

GallupPerfume

Basenotes Member
Nov 8, 2021
I never used raspberry ketone. How can you describe its smell?
I love raspberry ketone, like others have said its not an in your face kind of raspberry, its definitely more on the red berry side, or jammy, I can't say its a feel the texture sort of scent either, its very subtle but you just know the raspberry is in there. It does come out more with other materials, damasenone, damascone, or even prunella. Picture the raspberry filling in a chocolate cake, that's raspberry ketone (for me at least).

Nov 27, 2013
What would people say is a good percentage range at which to use RK in a formula? For me it doesn't seem to stand out, so not sure if I'm using it at too low a percentage but, on the other hand, I don't want to weigh the formula down.
Typical dosage from what I know:
- 0.001 % up to 0.01% in the formula (i.e. traces) for a sweetener effect
- 0.01 % uo to 0.5 % for its fruity effect
The material is a very substantive powder and can last months (probably years) on a smelling strip, so dosages over 0.5 % (or even 0.1%) might unbalance the perfume.

Yuri-G

Basenotes Junkie
Sep 13, 2020
The material is a very substantive powder and can last months (probably years) on a smelling strip, so dosages over 0.5 % (or even 0.1%) might unbalance the perfume.
Thanks!

Aug 19, 2021
Great info thank you!

Latest News