Rank the best Maison Francis Kurkdjian fragrances

williemored

Sep 23, 2017
The entire line up is very interesting. I look at MFK differently as a whole. If Creed is what you would wear to impress the ladies, Tom Ford to impress the lobby, and Chanel/Dior to impress your mommy, then MFK is what you could wear to impress your soul on a lonesome evening at a jazz club, or while listening to a pianist/violinist live, to keep all your senses engaged. May be that's saying too much or may be just me...

In order of preference,
1) Lumiere Noir pour homme
2) APOM pour homme (growing on me every day)
3) Grand Soir
4) Baccarat 540 extrait (gets cloying on multiple sprays, still good fusion)
5) Aqua Vitae Forte

Still to sample the pour le soir and le matin extracts...

Edit: Sampled Absolute pour le soir through a vial purchase on ebay. Assuming it is genuine, this is mediocre incense based perfume. Reminds me of something from the 80s but cannot narrow it yet. If you ever roam the streets of south Mumbai in the incense and attar market, this is all over the place.

Last edited:

Finnster

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
1 - Oud (extrait or parfum)
2 - Lumiere Noire
3 - Absolue pour le Soir (and Cologne pour le Soir)
4 - Cashmere Oud
5 - Pluriel (masculine)

APOM, Aqua Celestia, Grand Soir, Petit Matin, Velvet Oud are also great.

Mustafa911

Apr 6, 2015
Aqua universal Extrait selling for €1300 that’s crazy price. I am shaking my head why this so much money.

My fav:
Satin mood Extrait
Oud
Oud Extrait
Absolute pour le Soir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArnaudBoson

May 29, 2015
Aqua Celestia, Grand Soir, Oud Satin Mood and Aqua Vitae Forte. MFK is a very nice brand with a stunning line up and I find that the overall quality of its fragrances is brilliant.

Robin Matt

Aug 17, 2018
I wish to buy a perfume from the house MFK Those who are expert on this fragrance and the house, can anyone suggest me, which one will be the best (in terms of projection and longevity both) Oud Satin or Oud ? The price will be 195 Pound Sterling. I want to have just one from this house, which will be the best. I won't mind about Oud type fragrances..I do have Oud Immortel (Byredo), Oud Ispahan (Dior) and Amouage (interlude Man, this I didn't like it first, but later discovered has amazing trail and drydown, also projects nucler). So which one will be the best from MFK? Oud or Oud Satin Mood? Kindly help.

Maxtesti

Feb 18, 2018
I wish to buy a perfume from the house MFK Those who are expert on this fragrance and the house, can anyone suggest me, which one will be the best (in terms of projection and longevity both) Oud Satin or Oud ? The price will be 195 Pound Sterling. I want to have just one from this house, which will be the best. I won't mind about Oud type fragrances..I do have Oud Immortel (Byredo), Oud Ispahan (Dior) and Amouage (interlude Man, this I didn't like it first, but later discovered has amazing trail and drydown, also projects nucler). So which one will be the best from MFK? Oud or Oud Satin Mood? Kindly help.

MFK sells samples on his website in sets of four for €14 incl. shipping.

https://www.franciskurkdjian.com/samples-en.html

FCM415

Jan 25, 2018
Big fan. From what I own, In order:
Grand Soir
Petit Matin
BR 540 XRT and EDP
Aqua Celestia
Aqua Universalis
Aqua Vitae
Oud

I got the Oud for a good price but it is waaay too saffron heavy. Saffron done right is great but this is more of a saffron bomb. I tried adding a few drops of Ensar Oud to a decant I made and its a little better...
- It's pretty well loved, can MFK Oud owners tell me wha they like? To me, it's kind of sickenly dry.

I'm a Oud oil and wood user btw.

flmmkrz

Jun 6, 2018
I haven't tried them all but of the ones I tried in order...

Aqua Universalis Forte...love it

Oud Satin....it's okay but couldn't say I loved it

and dead last by a big big margin BR 540...yuck, so sweet, multiple tries, multiple wash offs.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
From this house (wearable by a man) I like

APOM homme (beautiful take on the neroli and cedar theme)
Amyris homme (great amyris and iris fragrances, with a sweet tonka/chocolate backbone)
Aqua Universalis Forte ( a better version of the original AU, a little too shy imo)
Aqua Celestia (good but not great)
Lumiere Noire homme (a "black" masculine rose, probably the best rose for men I have ever smelt)
Oud (not so strong in oud, but nicely blended, warm, saffrony, easy to wear)
Oud Extrait (a more formal version of the previous, my preferred between the 2)
Grand Soir (one of the best amber frags I had the chance to smell)

I'm not a fan of the Oud xx Mood series, nor of Masculin Pluriel and Aqua Celestia forte (that I both find unbalanced and too harsh), Baccarat Rouge 540 (that is a sweet mess on my skin) and Aqua Universalis (not unique enough for the price).
Aqua Vitae and Aqua Vitae Forte are too feminine for my tastes.

I'm not convinced by Cologne pour le Soir, and would like to try Absolue pour le Soir.

avo1811

Dec 6, 2018
Oud and BR540 are my favorites. Like both the extraits and parfums but for whatever reason seem to give the edge to the parfums.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
1. Absolue Pour le Soir
2. One of the Oud ones or perhaps a tie between Satin or Silk (EdP or Extrait).
3. Grand Soir or Aqua Universalis forte

Don't have enough time with a lot of others, and haven't delved into the house as much as I could have. Used to own Aqua Universalis forte which is a pretty good clean frag.
Either I lacked interest in general or they weren't that enchanting with however many sniffs I've given them over the years at stores. Owned Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait as well - just don't really understand the hype.

So Absolue Pour le Soir is the winner for me. That said, I'd like to try/re-try stuff from the house, and I have at least one sample here right now.

Mistertaz

Dec 15, 2010
Absolue Pour Le Soir is just too dirty and culinary spiced on my skin. I can’t imagine enjoying it on myself or someone else unless it was used with a very light touch.

I *love* Cologne Pour Le Soir though! Not much love for this fragrance around here... but it’s a delicious deep sweet benzoin amber with honey and a touch of animatics.

Jul 7, 2012
I *love* Cologne Pour Le Soir though! Not much love for this fragrance around here... but it’s a delicious deep sweet benzoin amber with honey and a touch of animatics.

I agree. Cologne Pour Le Soir deserves more attention. It's excellent. I also like Absolu Pour Le Soir, but whoaaaa... it's a beast, and it's not something I can pull off.

yuncherrypops

Sep 7, 2018
From what I've smelt:

1. Grand Soir
2. Aqua Universalis Forte
3. Masculin Pluriel
4. Oud Satin Mood Extrait
5. Aqua Celestia Forte
6. Lumiere Noire Homme
7. Gentle Fluidity Silver
8. Gentle Fluidity Gold
9. Amyris Homme
10. Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait
11. Oud Extrait

Really want to smell Absolue Pour Le Soir but of course it's not available at the MFK counter. Sampling Aqua Vitae, Petit Matin, APOM Homme, and Ciel de Gum next time.

rodamon

Jun 12, 2014
Just a curiosity...Not from the Maison (brand), but the creator was Francis Kurkdijan. Le Male and Narciso Rodríguez for him. Both masterpieces in my opinion. The first one, despite to be too popular (massified), has probably been sold more than all perfumes of the brand together . And Narciso Rodriguez for him is more niche than most niches (as creation/innovation). Both for a fraction of the price of any fragrance of the brand.

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
I like the smell of Grand Soir a lot, but I find it so hard to wear which those scratchy resin notes. It's even slightly headache inducing to me.
Oud Satin Mood is very nice, too - but a bit on the feminine side.

My least favorite of the MFK male fragrances are probably APOM (weird muffled and rotten orange smell) and Masculin Pluriel (ultra-sterile cyber-lavender - instant headache).

debussychopin

Aug 9, 2018
Not too amazed by any of the MFKs. I have a decant of grand soir but it isnt something I go for a lot. It does smell very resin y and oily.

GazRef

Jun 11, 2019
Have only tried 4, recently too, and I have to say I'm disappointed in the house I expected to love.

1. Masculin Pluriel - Throw back scent with a modern twist. Its the only one I've wore publicly but could never make this a full bottle at this price point. Nor find myself reaching for it often. Sig worthy for anyone who likes this vibe. Its classy and well blended though. Like not love.

2. Petit Matin - This is fruity and pleasant. Strong performance for a freshie. I think its too fem though. Better on a woman or an upmarket Hotel lobby. Like
3. Amyris homme - expected to love this one. Just too floral and leaned too unisex/fem. Was challenging so maybe another take is required. Unsure.
4. Grand Soir - Maybe Im not an amber benzoin guy but big pass. Not enjoyable.

Sandy

Jan 15, 2005
I had and wore APOM Homme for about 2 years almost exclusively. However, no other of the Maison scents have grabbed my attention - to say the least.

NiceSmell

Mar 26, 2016
I have tried a few and have been blown away by Oud EDP and the extraict; Aqua Universalis Forte, Lumiere Noir and Baccarat Rouge 540.
One of them reminds me of Diaghilev- I think it’s Aqua UF or one of the Ouds. Does any get this similarity as well?

Th

Latest News