Quorum by Antonio Puig: A Guide to Versions

Dec 28, 2020
My main fragrances through high school (82-86) were Z-14, Quorom and Polo. The vintage of Quorom you smelled would be the bottle in the first pic of the 125ml with the big button sprayer. A seller on eBay called sells 125ml tester bottles without a cap big button sprayer(like the one in the pic).

The vintage Halston Z-14 you are looking for is sold on eBay. Anything without the EA on it you are safe.

Thanks to BN, ZC and other commenters here, from the information compiled in both the Halston Z-14 and Quorom threads I would not have found and been re-aquainted with the fragrances I grew up with and how I remember them smelling. Their info enabled me to track down the right bottles, and to me is priceless. These threads and my comment have saved you a bunch of footwork, and maybe money. You're welcome:smiley:
I'm just now seeing this response, which is not a bad thing. Since the original post I have acquired a series of Halston Z14 bottles with different labels and countries of manufacture. These products combined with my own experience and nose from the era of the original Halston formulation, allow me to agree that anything pre EA is a good product. Early EA versions are also good. None of the EA vintages is the original fragrance. Neither is the French Fragrances (FFI) version, although it is close. To get the real scent from the 70s and early 80s, you need the Parfums Halston Paris France or Halston Perfumes NY, NY. I have all three. The later bottles in my hands are made both in New York and in, curiously, Germany. These old bottles are marked as cologne, not EDT, and they are splashes. The caps are the original hemisphere caps without the elongated neck as you see in later spray versions. The cap color is CHOCOLATE BROWN, not black. All of this is consistent with my experience back in the day. But the nose is what is really important, the nose and the brain connection. Only the versions I mention above as originals transport me back in time to when I was wearing this fragrance daily. It's like magic or a time machine in a bottle. The memories flood back. It's a fascinating experience. I use this stuff only occasionally, so as not to get stuck in the past. That said, if you want to experience -- in my opinion -- the best men's fragrance ever formulated, you need one of those early bottles.

Professor Value

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
I'm just now seeing this response, which is not a bad thing. Since the original post I have acquired a series of Halston Z14 bottles with different labels and countries of manufacture. These products combined with my own experience and nose from the era of the original Halston formulation, allow me to agree that anything pre EA is a good product. Early EA versions are also good. None of the EA vintages is the original fragrance. Neither is the French Fragrances (FFI) version, although it is close. To get the real scent from the 70s and early 80s, you need the Parfums Halston Paris France or Halston Perfumes NY, NY. I have all three. The later bottles in my hands are made both in New York and in, curiously, Germany. These old bottles are marked as cologne, not EDT, and they are splashes. The caps are the original hemisphere caps without the elongated neck as you see in later spray versions. The cap color is CHOCOLATE BROWN, not black. All of this is consistent with my experience back in the day. But the nose is what is really important, the nose and the brain connection. Only the versions I mention above as originals transport me back in time to when I was wearing this fragrance daily. It's like magic or a time machine in a bottle. The memories flood back. It's a fascinating experience. I use this stuff only occasionally, so as not to get stuck in the past. That said, if you want to experience -- in my opinion -- the best men's fragrance ever formulated, you need one of those early bottles.
The EA Jeff Gordon version is good. I also like the French Fragrances version, and, of course, original.

IMG_20220203_080029335.jpg

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
I recently bought a vintage 10 ml (thick line, "PUIG" on the front) and I was pleasantly surprised by how much better it smells compared to the comparatively harsh and somehow too perfumey formulation from 2019.

The difference reminds me of Aramis in the sense that I find the current almost unwearable, whereas the vintage is very enjoyable. (Mind you, quite often I've found reformulations to be better than their reputation, so it's not just my snobbery.)

Professor Value

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
I recently bought a vintage 10 ml (thick line, "PUIG" on the front) and I was pleasantly surprised by how much better it smells compared to the comparatively harsh and somehow too perfumey formulation from 2019.

The difference reminds me of Aramis in the sense that I find the current almost unwearable, whereas the vintage is very enjoyable. (Mind you, quite often I've found reformulations to be better than their reputation, so it's not just my snobbery.)
IMO the current version of Quorum is on the "harsh" side; still not terrible, just different it a way. The thick line on the front of the bottle is a good indicator of a better Quorum experience.

Last edited:

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
This is a great thread. I bought the reformulated Quorum a few years back. Fantastic top notes, but the end result in the dry down just isn't something I want to smell like the rest of the day. That said, I appreciate the smoothness of its reformulation, compared to the crudeness of current Azzaro PH. I've bought reformed Quorum twice, and giving it away twice. I like the bottle, and I like how unique and peculiar a scent it is. It's intriguing. I'd like to come across the vintage version just to see if it would click with me as opposed to the current juice.

Even though current Quorum isn't something I'd wear, I still kind of dig it, and find it to be a better scent than One Man Show. I might even say it could be preferable to current Polo (2015 and up). The "skinny Polo" is staring to make sense to me.

IMO the current version of Quorum is on the "harsh" side; still not terrible, just different it a way. The thick line on the front of the bottle is a good indicator of a better Quorum experience.

Would you say vintage Quorum might be more pleasant smelling to people who grew up in the "freshie" ear? Or are both versions equally challenging?

Professor Value

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
This is a great thread. I bought the reformulated Quorum a few years back. Fantastic top notes, but the end result in the dry down just isn't something I want to smell like the rest of the day. That said, I appreciate the smoothness of its reformulation, compared to the crudeness of current Azzaro PH. I've bought reformed Quorum twice, and giving it away twice. I like the bottle, and I like how unique and peculiar a scent it is. It's intriguing. I'd like to come across the vintage version just to see if it would click with me as opposed to the current juice.

Even though current Quorum isn't something I'd wear, I still kind of dig it, and find it to be a better scent than One Man Show. I might even say it could be preferable to current Polo (2015 and up). The "skinny Polo" is staring to make sense to me.

Would you say vintage Quorum might be more pleasant smelling to people who grew up in the "freshie" ear? Or are both versions equally challenging?
No versions of Quorum stray into the "freshie" neighborhood; lots of Castoreum and oakmoss pretty much take care of that. All are wonderfully challenging.

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
I agree with what @Professor Value wrote above. As for smelling pleasant, I personally find the vintage more nuanced (although I haven't done any side by side comparisons and it's been a while since I last wore the current version). I guess there's a high likelihood that any version will conjure up images of an "80's cologne guy" in people's minds today. But I don't care and I spray moderately anyway, only under the shirt (and prefer to wear nothing on the rare occasions I need to go to the office).

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
I agree with what @Professor Value wrote above. As for smelling pleasant, I personally find the vintage more nuanced (although I haven't done any side by side comparisons and it's been a while since I last wore the current version). I guess there's a high likelihood that any version will conjure up images of an "80's cologne guy" in people's minds today. But I don't care and I spray moderately anyway, only under the shirt (and prefer to wear nothing on the rare occasions I need to go to the office).
I'm thinking that it's likely that the same general scent, but with more depth and nuance, might make some degree of difference in personal enjoyment. I've only experienced Aramis in its reformulated form, and yet, despite it's extremely harsh and challenging aspect for contemporary times, the quality and smoothness of its execution make it something that I want to wear, if only around the house. What I like about modern Quorum is that it doesn't wear heavy despite being very distinctive.

The moderate spray, under the shirt is good advice for older or potentially challenging fragrances.

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
hi all! i'va found these bottle, the seller is telling me it's a first version, do you agree?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (8).jpg
    s-l1600 (8).jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 7
  • s-l1600 (7).jpg
    s-l1600 (7).jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 7
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 6
  • s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 6
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    350 KB · Views: 6
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 6
  • s-l1600 (11).jpg
    s-l1600 (11).jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 6
  • s-l1600 (10).jpg
    s-l1600 (10).jpg
    169 KB · Views: 6
  • s-l1600 (9).jpg
    s-l1600 (9).jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 7

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
bought!
just a question, how are longevity and projection on these first batches? i konow the recent one are weak, but also the older one?
Oh performance is so good you'll probably need to scrub it off at the end of the day.

This is from back when everyone smoked indoors everywhere and tons of older cars without catalytic converters were still on the road.

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
1666114110903.png 1666114122858.png
hi guys! today i received my vintage bottle!
first toughts... i like it, but...
but...
honestly? i thought it was stronger. i mean, it's so intense in the opening, but it's non a "powerhouse" or a "beastmode" scent...
i would expect something like Kouros, but i find it to be more similar to Antaeus in terms of performance..
it sist so fast on the skin and began a skinscent after a while...

Professor Value

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
View attachment 305667 View attachment 305668
but...
honestly? i thought it was stronger. i mean, it's so intense in the opening, but it's non a "powerhouse" or a "beastmode" scent...
i would expect something like Kouros, but i find it to be more similar to Antaeus in terms of performance..

I tend to agree; that's why I ALWAYS bring along a decant to work for refreshes, on all fragrances. ;)

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
View attachment 305667 View attachment 305668
but...
Primarily a tobacco and leather scent so yeah, it won't be a barnstormer. More or less a classy gentleman style thing like Polo

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
i primarly smell the oakmoss instead, and a touch of something of balsamic like pine needles, than also leather, all in a delicate and not offensive mode of projection and sillage
The tobacco is represented by coumarin, which is drier more like cigar tobacco (similar to Havana), not sweet like pipe tobacco (e.g. Burberry London)

RCavs

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 13, 2004
ohh thanks for your opinion! in order to be sure i have also bought a mini bottle of same versione, just for comparison
It's interesting, I did the same thing! The only difference is that I could only find a 30ml bottle and 2 minis (1 is gone by now). All vintage as yours.
Just for curiosity: have you ever tried Puig Agua Brava? I remember it being a nice mossy green fougere when my dad used to wear it, so I nostalgically bought it and the new reformulated version reminded me of bitter/sour bug spray... :(

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
It's interesting, I did the same thing! The only difference is that I could only find a 30ml bottle and 2 minis (1 is gone by now). All vintage as yours.
Just for curiosity: have you ever tried Puig Agua Brava? I remember it being a nice mossy green fougere when my dad used to wear it, so I nostalgically bought it and the new reformulated version reminded me of bitter/sour bug spray... :(
nope unfortunately, never tryed Aqua Brava but it's in my wishlist! iìll buy it in vintage batch soon or later for sure!

Dec 28, 2020
Primarily a tobacco and leather scent so yeah, it won't be a barnstormer. More or less a classy gentleman style thing like Polo
Tobacco and leather as the primary notes in Quorum? Hmm. . . it's more aromatic herbs and woods both buoyed and anchored by a hefty dose of oak moss, don't you think? I have both the modern and the vintage, and I find them the same in those qualities.
In fact, I find that the heavy scent of oak moss is more easily discernible in Quorum than in any other fragrance containing moss.

Another thing -- Polo as a classy gentleman style scent? No, no. I think you are falling prey to advertising. Back in the day -- I hate to say that, because I am old enough to have been there -- Original Polo was the quintessential college frat boy fragrance. Older brothers went off to college and came home at Christmas reeking of Polo. If you add Polo to some cigarette smoke and the scent of hops from cheap lager beer, you essentially recreate the odor of early 1980s frat parties. There was nothing gentlemanly about it.

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
Tabacco e cuoio come le note primarie di Quorum? Hmm. . . sono più erbe aromatiche e legni entrambi sostenuti e ancorati da una buona dose di muschio di quercia, non credi? Ho sia il moderno che il vintage e li trovo uguali in queste qualità.
In effetti, trovo che il profumo intenso del muschio di quercia sia più facilmente distinguibile in Quorum che in qualsiasi altra fragranza contenente muschio.

Un'altra cosa: Polo come profumo di classe in stile gentiluomo? No, no. Penso che tu stia cadendo preda della pubblicità. All'epoca - odio dirlo, perché sono abbastanza grande per esserci stato - Original Polo era la quintessenza del profumo dei confratelli del college. I fratelli maggiori andarono al college e tornarono a casa a Natale puzzando di Polo. Se aggiungi Polo al fumo di sigaretta e al profumo di luppolo di una birra chiara a buon mercato, essenzialmente ricrei l'odore delle feste delle confraternite dei primi anni '80. Non c'era niente da gentiluomo.
i agree with you that Quorum is (form me also) an aromativa with a good dose of oakmoss and i smell these oakmoss in Quorum more than in others perfume with it in...
do you find Quorum to be a strong or a "weak" perfume? in terms of sillage and persistence

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Polo as a classy gentleman style scent? No, no. I think you are falling prey to advertising.

That Polo was adopted by frat boys doesn’t mean it isn’t gentlemanly. Anything over-applied and mixed with the stench of cigs and cheap beer will end up smelling dour. (The frats would have ruined Vintage Tabarôme if they could have.)

Separate the scent from those associations, if you can. Polo did for men’s fragrance what Lauren did for fashion in general: made an upscale fantasy accessible and easy to wear. It’s no less “classy” than, say, vintage Dunhills.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Tobacco and leather as the primary notes in Quorum? Hmm. . . it's more aromatic herbs and woods both buoyed and anchored by a hefty dose of oak moss, don't you think? I have both the modern and the vintage, and I find them the same in those qualities.
In fact, I find that the heavy scent of oak moss is more easily discernible in Quorum than in any other fragrance containing moss.

Another thing -- Polo as a classy gentleman style scent? No, no. I think you are falling prey to advertising. Back in the day -- I hate to say that, because I am old enough to have been there -- Original Polo was the quintessential college frat boy fragrance. Older brothers went off to college and came home at Christmas reeking of Polo. If you add Polo to some cigarette smoke and the scent of hops from cheap lager beer, you essentially recreate the odor of early 1980s frat parties. There was nothing gentlemanly about it.

It's the whole "tree falling and nobody around to hear it so did it make a sound" argument.

If you don't smell the arrangement of materials that comprise the tobacco accord, then it isn't there for you. Some folks smell the eggshell note in Acqua di Giò Essenza, and some don't, neither is wrong.

I'd have left it at that if you had said -for you- it isn't there, but you're trying to argue that it isn't there for me either and I'm somehow mistaken. That's gaslighting.

Likewise with your Polo statement, you're also conflating your personal experience as a universal one that applies unilaterally, and anyone who's experience doesn't match yours is wrong. That's solipcism.

Steamrolling into a thread to reject one's reality and replace it with your own isn't a great first impression, but we all make mistakes and can still be friends after the fact. 😉
That Polo was adopted by frat boys doesn’t mean it isn’t gentlemanly. Anything over-applied and mixed with the stench of cigs and cheap beer will end up smelling dour. (The frats would have ruined Vintage Tabarôme if they could have.)

Separate the scent from those associations, if you can. Polo did for men’s fragrance what Lauren did for fashion in general: made an upscale fantasy accessible and easy to wear. It’s no less “classy” than, say, vintage Dunhills.
This is the macro view of the situation for sure. In my specific neck of the woods, Polo (of any variety) was a scent for preps due to the association. Green or Crest for the older guys, Sport or Blue for their sons, etc.

By the time Polo Black was out here, it was "just another designer" brand and imitators like U.S. Polo Assn. and Beverly Hills Polo Club were already out, but I digress.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...