Quorum by Antonio Puig: A Guide to Versions

Midoh

Apr 15, 2020
I agree with Monsieur Montana that it looks like vintage Quorum. In my experience, a short list of ingredients like that means vintage / pre-ingredient restrictions.

from which year to which year was produced ? can i know the batch code is 9J01 from which year ?

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
from which year to which year was produced ? can i know the batch code is 9J01 from which year ?

That I don't know.

Ultimately it's just trivia, though, right? Like the name of the foreman on shift when it was made?

Midoh

Apr 15, 2020
ok thanks

due to http://www.checkfresh.com and batch code 9J01 it can made in 2019 or 2009 or 1999 or 1989 because the code repeat every 10 years and it can not be 1979 becaue it was produced 1981.
I think it is from 1989 because 1999 shoukd be other version.
What you mean?

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
ok thanks

due to http://www.checkfresh.com and batch code 9J01 it can made in 2019 or 2009 or 1999 or 1989 because the code repeat every 10 years and it can not be 1979 becaue it was produced 1981.
I think it is from 1989 because 1999 shoukd be other version.
What you mean?

Assuming checkfresh is correct, it sounds like a 1989.

Based on what's upthread, 1993 or earlier is a safe guess - it looks like they added "copyright 1993" during that year, including the radar icon thingy - the new logo that was apparently rolled out in 1993.

The caution about flammability could also be part of the 1993 packaging change.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
As with many cosmetics companies, Puig batch codes recycle every ten years. The 9 indicates the last digit of the year, and the box and bottle designs indicate the first edition, so your batch is from 1989.

Midoh

Apr 15, 2020
@PStoller
thanks a lot for your help. Do you know if this version was used synthetic or natural ingrediants?
I like you cat a lot but what kind of cats ?

Midoh

Apr 15, 2020
thanks a lot for your help. Do you know if this version was used synthetic or natural ingrediants?

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012

Synthetics have been used to some degree in mainstream perfumes since Fougère Royale introduced coumarin in 1882, so I wouldn't go down that rabbithole unless you're interested in artisinal makers.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
As ZC points out, virtually all perfumery involves synthetics, barring a handful of all-natural artisanal perfumers. Quorum was never all-natural; I doubt anything ever produced by Puig was.

My cat is a chinchilla silver Persian of the Dearheart line. His full name is Ginger Baker, but we usually just call him Gin or Gin-gin. Right now, he’s pestering my wife for food.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015

It's a mix of natural and synthetic ingredients, I believe. The key, I think, is that it's before ingredient restrictions came into effect from people complaining that oak moss, etc. could cause skin irritation.

dandadda19

Basenotes Member
Jan 24, 2015
ZC , thank you for this fabulous invaluable thread. This is one of my favourite Fragrances of all time. Until now my only guidelines were the PUIG , on bottle with the Mk1 sprayer and Brown paper label on the bottom of the bottle As so many of these are sold on eBay without the boxes ( which are great for dating. This thread is so helpful. 3 years ago inUK You could but 1st vintage edt for £10- £20 for v1 f1 125ml - prices have started to rocket and very little avail.
I find the Symmetrical Aztec, and the second non symmetrical formulas to be so rich and herby in a very natural way. I smelt a modern tester in retailer and it was headache inducing and horrible like the notes were fighting to get away from each other. I really fuzzy muddle, with no real transition and no pleasant citrus opening nor mossy comfort in latter stages . Does everyone else feel the same?

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
ZC , thank you for this fabulous invaluable thread. This is one of my favourite Fragrances of all time. Until now my only guidelines were the PUIG , on bottle with the Mk1 sprayer and Brown paper label on the bottom of the bottle As so many of these are sold on eBay without the boxes ( which are great for dating. This thread is so helpful. 3 years ago inUK You could but 1st vintage edt for £10- £20 for v1 f1 125ml - prices have started to rocket and very little avail.
I find the Symmetrical Aztec, and the second non symmetrical formulas to be so rich and herby in a very natural way. I smelt a modern tester in retailer and it was headache inducing and horrible like the notes were fighting to get away from each other. I really fuzzy muddle, with no real transition and no pleasant citrus opening nor mossy comfort in latter stages . Does everyone else feel the same?

The newest one is oddly soapy. Quorum was never soapy, so for me it is now fundamentally a different scent.

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011
Own the version with brown cap from 2011 but I am almost sure I bought it in 2010 (or even 2009) so must be one of the first then?
Smells good and lasts quite a while! Never smelled an older version though.....

Benz3ne

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 14, 2017
Own the version with brown cap from 2011 but I am almost sure I bought it in 2010 (or even 2009) so must be one of the first then?
Smells good and lasts quite a while! Never smelled an older version though.....

When my bottle arrives I'll happily try and throw a sample across the water to you, if you like? It'll be the 'Mk2' 1992-2002 type.
No guarantees it'd actually reach you but worth a go, right?

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011
Is your sprayer gold?

The cap is brown with golden rim in the middle but my sprayer (nozzle) is made of dark brown plastic and not gold colored which should be from 2011 while I bought it for sure earlier.

Like this:
Antonio-Puig-Quorum-100ml-EDT.jpg

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
View attachment 113378
Version 1 formula MK II 3.4oz/100ml bottles

. . . Earliest bottles read "PUIG" in front, later ones read "Antonio Puig" . . . Box has short ingredients list . . . without "for men" in the labeling, using a gold sprayer head and exposed crimping. . . Castoreum and full oakmoss base are present.

This is closest description from the original post to the 50-ml bottle I have, which has "for men" on the box, but not on the bottle. The box does not mention the 1993 copyright - I believe it's from before that. It does have the flammability warning.

It is fully animalic in the base in a way that grabs my attention. I start having memories of sampling vintage Aramis JHL, which opens with the kind of animalic that Quorum reaches in the base.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
This is closest description from the original post to the 50-ml bottle I have, which has "for men" on the box, but not on the bottle. The box does not mention the 1993 copyright - I believe it's from before that. It does have the flammability warning.

It is fully animalic in the base in a way that grabs my attention. I start having memories of sampling vintage Aramis JHL, which opens with the kind of animalic that Quorum reaches in the base.

Sadly I never covered anything smaller than 100mls in my original post, so that's information which could be added in later. Looks like you got the good stuff though. Call it blasphemy but I enjoy this one better than Antaeus or One Man Show, but these days wear it less because I've already worn it to death before I delved deeper into this genre. Glad you're really digging it though! Needs more outspoken fans. Kouros has too many! XD

dandadda19

Basenotes Member
Jan 24, 2015
@ Midoh ..
hi what a great find. Yours is defo first vintage . The symmetrical Aztec box and “ PUIG “in capital letters , plus the better quality sprayer and neck as ZC pointed out are the key signs. You will also have a brown paper sticker on the bottom of the bottle most likely. I am thinking probably 1989.

maddym

Dec 10, 2020
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had info on this Quorum deodorant natural spray. It is 2.5 oz. I cannot seem to locate any info on it.
Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 229

maddym

Dec 10, 2020
I forgot to show (strange ?) ingredients. Also note, no barcode on box.
I feel this is one of the earliest versions.
Thanks again !

Attachments

• IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 229

dandadda19

Basenotes Member
Jan 24, 2015
Hello , This is definitely first vintage. Symmetrical as tick box. Brown sticker on the bottom. And in capital letters on the box. All indicates first vintage -Especially with the quality crimping and spray mechanism

manicboy

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 12, 2005
Own versions 1 & 2 and love them both! Looking to back-up vers 2. Is Oak Moss on the box an identifier?

Dec 28, 2020
Is the opinion regarding the relative dates of Quorum reformulations based on knowledge of some proprietary information? I have read over the different box, bottle, crimp, and sprayer details. Other than qualities of the box that make an appearance industry-wide in a specific year -- such as a bar code -- the other benchmarks of age seem far less reliable, particularly given the number posts indicating packaging information that is inconsistent with the suggested chronology. Also, there seems to be an assumption that what is in the bottle changes as the packaging changes. How has that been established? Many products have packaging that has undergone a redesign with the product, itself, remaining unchanged. I have similar thoughts about other threads attempting to age bottles of Halston Z-14. The latter is the scent of my youth, having received a bottle as a gift in 1981 and another '83. A few years later in 1986 I had a roommate who wore Quorum. I'd like to find that vintage. It was heady stuff. I contacted EA Fragrances regarding the age of a bottle of Z-14. They won't divulge anything.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Is the opinion regarding the relative dates of Quorum reformulations based on knowledge of some proprietary information? I have read over the different box, bottle, crimp, and sprayer details. Other than qualities of the box that make an appearance industry-wide in a specific year -- such as a bar code -- the other benchmarks of age seem far less reliable, particularly given the number posts indicating packaging information that is inconsistent with the suggested chronology. Also, there seems to be an assumption that what is in the bottle changes as the packaging changes. How has that been established? Many products have packaging that has undergone a redesign with the product, itself, remaining unchanged. I have similar thoughts about other threads attempting to age bottles of Halston Z-14. The latter is the scent of my youth, having received a bottle as a gift in 1981 and another '83. A few years later in 1986 I had a roommate who wore Quorum. I'd like to find that vintage. It was heady stuff. I contacted EA Fragrances regarding the age of a bottle of Z-14. They won't divulge anything.

You're never gonna get any industry-certified authentication on any fragrance because they not only recycle batch codes (unless you're Creed and it's part of the gimmick), but generally don't want you buying vintage specimens of still-produced fragrances anyway due to potential liability on their end (allergens, fakes, all that), which is why they try so hard to get old stock banned from resale and why so much independent third-party research exists from hobbyists to try and answer the question of "how old is my bottle". Guerlain is one of the few houses open about production history, but some of their vintage bottles are museum pieces that cost a fortune, so they have reason to be.

You only have "best guestimates" to work with, being threads such as this one, or blogs like Raiders of the Lost Scent that have a little more resources at their disposal, unless you can analyze the formula yourself with equipment like mass spectrometers, gas chromatographs, steal production information with the help of an industry insider (if it still exists) to cross-reference, or have a living perfumer break NDA (or family of a deceased one) in order to produce formula or production verification paperwork for you.

The Osmothèque does much of what I just mentioned, but speaking of museums, it is one actually run by perfumers dedicated to preserving formula and fragrance history, plus the world's largest archive of fragrances in their original form. It's an institute with millions of dollars at its disposal plus industry resources no hobbyist collector could dream of having, just to do what you're asking my thread to do.

Maybe someday The Osmothèque will cover both Quorum and Halston Z-14 in minute batch-to-batch changes, with painstakingly cataloged variations of every single bottling run and box/bottle version to exist, so you can know exactly how old your bottle is with absolutely zero uncertainty. Until that day comes, there's my thread. Take it or leave it pal, but don't storm in here and break my balls.

Last edited:

JJ The Terrible

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 2, 2020

My main fragrances through high school (82-86) were Z-14, Quorom and Polo. The vintage of Quorom you smelled would be the bottle in the first pic of the 125ml with the big button sprayer. A seller on eBay called sells 125ml tester bottles without a cap big button sprayer(like the one in the pic).

The vintage Halston Z-14 you are looking for is sold on eBay. Anything without the EA on it you are safe.

Thanks to BN, ZC and other commenters here, from the information compiled in both the Halston Z-14 and Quorom threads I would not have found and been re-aquainted with the fragrances I grew up with and how I remember them smelling. Their info enabled me to track down the right bottles, and to me is priceless. These threads and my comment have saved you a bunch of footwork, and maybe money. You're welcome:smiley:

Last edited:

Professor Value

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
#SOTD After reading this thread, I've added a few bottles and now have a Quorum collection. First one is a newer tester while the others are vintage. Is there really a detectable, worthwhile difference? In this case a definite yes. Newer has Tree Moss (harsher) and not Oak Moss like in vintage (smoother, richer). The newer may have slightly better performance but the vintage really is more satisfying.
IMG_20210206_171313582.jpg

dandadda19

Basenotes Member
Jan 24, 2015
Totally agree , bottle 2 Is the King of kings, I sadly sold mine and have regretted ever since . So rich and smooth with an extra dollop of Castoreum.
Version 2 is still awesome ( now 100 ml and without the thick Quality brown and gold collar) I’ve noticed Slight variations in the notes between splash and spray bottles , I’ll add some photos later

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Any idea which version this one is? I can't decipher it from your previous pictures.
View attachment 146173

I think that's Version 1 formula MK II from the OP listing.

The layout of the graphics at the top, the thickness of the line, gold sprayer/black nozzle, and the lack of "For Men" are my markers. That would take it from the early 90s to early 2000s.

I have a bottle that is identical to your bottle #3 in the lineup earlier, which I believe is also Version 1 MK II...maybe MKI. Note that brown sprayer/white nozzle, which seems unique to MK I. My batch code is 9L02, FWIW.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...