Feb 9, 2018

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Yes, because I double post by mistake; I'm sorry. Here are the pictures:

View attachment 161622

View attachment 161623

Should be same juice. This fragrance only had a single bottling run because it was a commercial failure. It was released right on the cusp of fresh fragrances taking over (1988), and like many "too late" powerhouses from about 1988-1992, it was quickly discontinued and replaced with someone more in line with the emergent styles of the 90's. In this case, that scent was Paco Rabanne XS pour Homme (1993).

I do love Ténéré though, a total blast of floral potpourri and sandalwood over fougère tones, with petitgrain, rose, and lavender hanging out big time in the composition. Had it been released in 1983 or 1984, it would have had a warmer reception and probably survived long enough to get flankers. Crazy how fast things changed from animalics and macho tropes to aquatics and clean white shirt fragrances in just 5 years.

Changes don't even happen that fast nowadays. Everything is in very gradual steps these days. Brands are still copying things from 15 years ago and putting them on the market!

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
Should be same juice. This fragrance only had a single bottling run because it was a commercial failure. It was released right on the cusp of fresh fragrances taking over (1988), and like many "too late" powerhouses from about 1988-1992, it was quickly discontinued and replaced with someone more in line with the emergent styles of the 90's. In this case, that scent was Paco Rabanne XS pour Homme (1993).

I do love Ténéré though, a total blast of floral potpourri and sandalwood over fougère tones, with petitgrain, rose, and lavender hanging out big time in the composition. Had it been released in 1983 or 1984, it would have had a warmer reception and probably survived long enough to get flankers. Crazy how fast things changed from animalics and macho tropes to aquatics and clean white shirt fragrances in just 5 years.

Changes don't even happen that fast nowadays. Everything is in very gradual steps these days. Brands are still copying things from 15 years ago and putting them on the market!

Thank you very much, Varanis ! I've read very carefully and from my best your review of Ténéré, and as always, I've learned a lot. Thank you again.

I do love Ténéré, in which I can smell some animalic. Could you tell me which ingredient(s) could be the source of this animalic smell ? Thank you again for your accurate reviews and the time you use for writing them.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
Two different bottle designs, same juice. All the 30 ml's I've seen for sale have shown quite a bit of evaporation, as per your picture. I'd steer clear of those. It hurt to pay extra for my 50 ml's but I don't want a bottle with what appears to be a leaky seal and exposure to oxygen.

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
Two different bottle designs, same juice. All the 30 ml's I've seen for sale have shown quite a bit of evaporation, as per your picture. I'd steer clear of those. It hurt to pay extra for my 50 ml's but I don't want a bottle with what appears to be a leaky seal and exposure to oxygen.

Well said, Motorcade. I'll reach out for 50 ml bottles. Furthermore, I prefer those bottles' design !

Latest News