Question about Givenchy Gentleman

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
Hello all ! Thanks to Marand, I could test a sample of deep vintage of this one, and I love the woody pissy scent it reminds me of.

I've seen this one for sale (pictures following), and I'd like to know whether it's worth buying it, in terms of comparison with "deep" vintage. The box has estimated sign and recycle sign, so I guess it's from the 90 or 2000; correct me if I'm wrong ? (But short list of ingredients)

Thanks again to all for your as always kind and wise advices !

Jean-Sté

Giv1.jpg

Giv2.jpg

Giv3.jpg

Giv4.jpg

Giv5.jpg

Giv6.jpg

Last edited:

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I like this version. I think it’s just as good as the older version. It’s a little different, but not much.

nosey74

Aug 30, 2014
Hello all ! Thanks to Marand, I could test a sample of deep vintage of this one, and I love the woody pissy scent it reminds me of.

I've seen this one for sale (pictures following), and I'd like to know whether it's worth buying it, in terms of comparison with "deep" vintage. The box has estimated sign and recycle sign, so I guess it's from the 90 or 2000; correct me if I'm wrong ? (But short list of ingredients)

Thanks again to all for your as always kind and wise advices !

Jean-Sté

I also have the very same box/batch code and it's great - don't hesitate to get it!

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

RCavs

Sep 13, 2004
It's a 4 digit batch code. These came in 2002 so that would make this a 2009 bottle. If it was from 1999 it would've had a 6 digit batch code.

Personally I would look for something earlier, preferably before the barcode came around.

I don't think It's from 2009. I would guess It's from 1999 or early 2000s because I bought my first GG bottle in 2004-2005 and It was already this one below (I still have it):
o.5380.jpg

RCavs

Sep 13, 2004
It's a 4 digit batch code. These came in 2002 so that would make this a 2009 bottle. If it was from 1999 it would've had a 6 digit batch code.

Personally I would look for something earlier, preferably before the barcode came around.

I don't think It's from 2009. I would guess It's from 1999 or early 2000s because I bought my first GG bottle in 2004-2005 and It was already this one below (I still have it):
o.5380.jpg

Avecesar

Nov 16, 2011
Ok! Could you tell me which article? I can't find it... :sad:

" Regarding traditional "made in France" bottles, batches from 1980 until 2001 sport 4, 5 or 6 numbers and, in some cases, one letter.
Since 1979-1980 all Givenchy boxes sport the EMB code, and since 1990 the traditional barcode.
Since 2002 you will find the traditional 4-digits LVMH code : from 2002 to 2008 , using the first half of alphabet (letters A-M); then since 2008, using the second half (letters N-Z).
However, especially for older, vintage bottles, you should check other clues. I strongly suggest to check tutorial pictures for better understanding."

My understanding when reading that (Raiders of The Lost Scent memo) is that until 2001, batch numbers could be composed of 4, 5 or 6 digits

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Following all the clues, I'd agree with 1999. A decade earlier, there'd be no barcode; a decade later, there'd be a completely different box/bottle design and a long ingredients list.

RCavs

Sep 13, 2004
" Regarding traditional "made in France" bottles, batches from 1980 until 2001 sport 4, 5 or 6 numbers and, in some cases, one letter.
Since 1979-1980 all Givenchy boxes sport the EMB code, and since 1990 the traditional barcode.
Since 2002 you will find the traditional 4-digits LVMH code : from 2002 to 2008 , using the first half of alphabet (letters A-M); then since 2008, using the second half (letters N-Z).
However, especially for older, vintage bottles, you should check other clues. I strongly suggest to check tutorial pictures for better understanding."

My understanding when reading that (Raiders of The Lost Scent memo) is that until 2001, batch numbers could be composed of 4, 5 or 6 digits

Thank you, Avecesar! Very informative! :thumbsup:

Latest News