Question about Aramis

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
Hello, dear friends !

I'm wondering if it's worth buying vintage Aramis. I own this one, which I bought last year :

AramisBottleBox.jpg

And I stumble upon this one, which I believe is older. What do you think ? Thank you very much !

Aramis2.jpg

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
Great! To me, there's not a huge difference between new and old Aramis. Current is still very good. Vintage is more animalic and a bit richer. I'm going for a current bottle myself, as I'm out of Aramis. Vintage bottles are way overpriced, IMO. I'd like the Cologne version, though, but mostly for historical purpose. The current smells absolutely fine, to me.
But hey, if it's a really good deal then go for it, mon ami [emoji106]

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Great! To me, there's not a huge difference between new and old Aramis. Current is still very good. Vintage is more animalic and a bit richer. I'm going for a current bottle myself, as I'm out of Aramis. Vintage bottles are way overpriced, IMO. I'd like the Cologne version, though, but mostly for historical purpose. The current smells absolutely fine, to me.
But hey, if it's a really good deal then go for it, mon ami [emoji106]

Seconded, so far noticed that this is a fragrance where the difference between this in its vintage and current version is hardly changed and/or barely detectable.
Yet first and foremost congratulations for the purchase of this, even more so in the version just bought.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
[...]
I'm wondering if it's worth buying vintage Aramis.

I'm not a fan of Aramis, but if you'd like to 'discover' something new is the same vein (but way better to my nose) than Aramis (1966), I'd suggest you go for Cabochard by Gres (1959), also blended by Bernard Chant. Cabochard is the fragrance that Estee Lauder (probably) asked Chant to copy for the house of Aramis (with a much inferior result, imho). That wouldn't be the first attempt of Aramis to blend fragrances 'highly inspired' by previous fragrances (clones, as we call them today). There is a nice THREAD ongoing on that matter, btw.
Note that Cabochard smells masculine, as per today's standards. Also, I'd suggest to go for the EDP, but the EDT is very close (according to reviews).

If own the tall bottle with black cap and bow engraved on the bottle (that is: the edition prior to the current 2019 gold cap with black bow). I am no reform panicker, and I have no clue if the current one is 'worse', but since you can easily find the previous one for ~$20 on ebay, why not getting that one?

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
Again, thanks to all for your always very useful advices !

I'm not a fan of Aramis, but if you'd like to 'discover' something new is the same vein (but way better to my nose) than Aramis (1966), I'd suggest you go for Cabochard by Gres (1959)
If own the tall bottle with black cap and bow engraved on the bottle (that is: the edition prior to the current 2019 gold cap with black bow). I am no reform panicker, and I have no clue if the current one is 'worse', but since you can easily find the previous one for ~$20 on ebay, why not getting that one?

Hello Andy ! I was told the same by other BNers, but since there are many versions, I'm a bit confused. I post several pictures; could you tell me which is the best, for your taste ? Thank you ! PS by "bow" engraved on the bottle, you mean "butterfly" ? I've seen such a bottle, too.

Capture de 2021-09-03 09:35:03.jpg

Capture de 2021-09-03 09:34:37.jpg

Capture de 2021-09-03 09:34:08.jpg

Capture de 2021-09-03 09:33:47.jpg

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

Hello Andy ! I was told the same by other BNers, but since there are many versions, I'm a bit confused. I post several pictures; could you tell me which is the best, for your taste ? Thank you ! PS by "bow" engraved on the bottle, you mean "butterfly" ? I've seen such a bottle, too.

I think Andy's talking about this bottle, EDP on far right, EDT second from right:

Cabochards_mine_03_June2018.jpg

(and it's a bow, not a butterfly).

This version is viewed by many as the most dismal of the reforms, and much inferior to the previous one in the black & white "twiggy" box and cap. I'm not one of those haters, I found this version to be "lesser" but still acceptable, as you can tell by the low fill in my bottles. However, I bought the new one, squatty bottle with gold cap and black fabric bow, in the 3rd and 4th of Jean-Ste's photos, and I like it quite a bit. It's less harsh, has less of the "ashtray" accord than the prior one, but still has the power of Cabochard's leather. All versions of parfum are smoother and milder, but I prefer the snap & crackle of the EDT or EDP.

Very much recommended for any Aramis fan to try.

Last edited:

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
I'm reading the Cabochard is quite feminine? Not that it's necessarily a problem (I sometimes wear K de Krizia EdP for example), just asking.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I'm reading the Cabochard is quite feminine? Not that it's necessarily a problem (I sometimes wear K de Krizia EdP for example), just asking.

No, it's not. It's almost a twin of Aramis, except it's a bit greener from galbanum.

For what I've understood, Cabochard was marketed feminine at the time of its launch. Nowadays, it could be unisex. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. But more than just unisex, it leans distinctly masculine these days.

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
For what I've understood, Cabochard was marketed feminine at the time of its launch. Nowadays, it could be unisex. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, it's not. It's almost a twin of Aramis, except it's a bit greener from galbanum.

You are correct. But more than just unisex, it leans distinctly masculine these days.

Just recieved Cabochard EdT. A quick spritz on the wrist, not full wear yet. The opening, to me, is a bit more floral/feminine, but after that it definately is very similar to Aramis. I certainly get why it's often considered the female counterpart. The base is a little bit shampoo'y but very nice. Of course a full wearing will show many more facets.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
I think Andy's talking about this bottle, EDP on far right, EDT second from right:

Correct! I have the EDP. I only have experience with that version, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Very much recommended for any Aramis fan to try.

And also to Aramis haters (like me). In the same style, but without Aramis's flaws (in my very humble opinion).

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018

Moss, galbanum and leather used to be seen as feminine note a century ago, but I would even state that as of today's standards, it's quite masculine. Only a bit of greenery might bringing it back a bit towards unisex, but honestly, only an woman artist or a woman with a strong personality/presence could pull that one nowadays.

Tristan45

Jun 30, 2017
It's worth getting the Cabochard EDP and the EDT in the new 2019 versions, the squat bottles with the black bow - it's a bit of a rescue reformulation that Miguel Matos worked on with the new owners of the Grès brand, Lalique. Seem to be available at a lot of discounters. Without the real oakmoss it's slightly different to the vintage, but a great improvement on earlier reformulations.

I'd avoid the tall frosted bottles at all costs - the quality of the ingredients in those is quite low. The new EDT in particular is totally unisex, and you will quickly smell just how close it is to Aramis. The real beauty in Cabochard is in the vintage EDT and particularly the Parfum. The oldest boxes have the black and white design all over them. If you want to get another one very close to Aramis/ then Estee Lauder's Azurée is really worth tracking down. Aramis, Cabochard and Azurée are all composed by Bernard Chant and share a lot of similarities.

Quite by accident I picked up an old bottle of Aramis with the same box as the OP (70's or early 80s) and it reawakened my appreciation of this classic.

Latest News