Quality of Naturals from IFF and Firmenich

polysom

Apr 4, 2021
I have a lot of Absolues, Resins and essential oils. Mostly from hermitageoils, De Hekserij or others. There are also some naturals available from Firmenich and IFF. And I was wondering what the quality might be, will it be better than the ones I already own? Especially for naturals like Benzoin Siam, Peru balsam, Tolu balsam, Myrrh Resinoid, Olibanum. Is it worth buying this stuff as well from Firmenich and IFF or will there be not much difference?

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
Dunno about IFF, but I've got some naturals from Firmenich and they smell BIZONKERZ AWESOME & work really really well for blending into perfumes. These particularly include their CO2 SFEs, such as olibanum, Haiti vetiver, and cinnamon bark. Robertet also has some gorgeous natural materials, particularly their "heart" fractionations of stuff like cedrat, geranium, and cedar atlas. Robertet patchouli absolute is IMO by far the most elegant & easy to blend complete patchouli material out there.

apolo085

Feb 18, 2019
While I am dealing with sardines, you guys are buying your stuff from big sharks... Kudos!!
For resinoids you can't go wrong with Firmenich and IFF, without considering their process, they buy only top incense grade resins.
Resins of poor quality are usually processed by small distillers, I've seen the difference between multiple grades of benzoin and myrrh resin chunks, tested them on charcoal and post extraction... The difference is huge.
Agreed on the "coeur" extractions made by Robertet, great stuffs, I love also their reconstructions, their rose petals reco is sublime.

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Wow the IFF and Firmenich stuff sounds awesome.

How do you guys usually go about sampling or purchasing through them? Would they sell to small fish like us amateur perfumers?
For IFF naturals, you can try buying by the kilogram from John D Walsh.
For Firmenich Naturals, you can buy through Vigon, by the kilogram.
Unless one of our resellers has bought that material, and can offer it in smaller sizes.

John D Walsh and Vigon do not have a minimum order, except for buying the whole Kg.
If buying from Robertet, or Biolandes, they have a MOQ for the whole order, or each line item, that still needs to get over their minimum spend amount. Almost anybody can buy from all of these companies, if you have the money to spend. They don't seem to care if they send the package to a home address. Other suppliers will not send to your home address.

Buying directly from Firmenich or IFF is another matter entirely, though. Or Symrise or Givaudan, for that matter...
Some other suppliers can be purchased from though, in 1kg MOQ, or a line item or total order MOQ..

GallupPerfume

Nov 8, 2021
I have a lot of Absolues, Resins and essential oils. Mostly from hermitageoils, De Hekserij or others. There are also some naturals available from Firmenich and IFF. And I was wondering what the quality might be, will it be better than the ones I already own? Especially for naturals like Benzoin Siam, Peru balsam, Tolu balsam, Myrrh Resinoid, Olibanum. Is it worth buying this stuff as well from Firmenich and IFF or will there be not much difference?
IFF & Firmenich are top of the line, high quality materials. I use them and prefer them over other choices. You can't' go wrong with them. Really.

HermitageOils

Aug 13, 2013
Reading this I agree with Paul, most of the corporates are easy to work directly with if you have a business in this field. But to work with Firmenich or IFF that really is a different ballgame entirely and a status that is far from easy to achieve. Therefore, for most it will make sense to buy such branded products via their official distributors.

At the same time, aware many resellers read base notes, it’s worth noting that it is illegal to state xyz is from Firmenich or IFF on a vendors online website, unless you are an official distributor. I know this for a fact as I buy directly from both and have had conversations with both on this very topic.

I appreciate many online resellers may not be aware or are simply under the radar of both, but if you get found out, it will end up in the hands of their legal departments.

The same goes for the official paperwork, as providing official IFF or Firmenich paperwork is interpreted by both corporates as being suggestive of selling their products.

polysom

Apr 4, 2021
Reading this I agree with Paul, most of the corporates are easy to work directly with if you have a business in this field. But to work with Firmenich or IFF that really is a different ballgame entirely and a status that is far from easy to achieve. Therefore, for most it will make sense to buy such branded products via their official distributors.

At the same time, aware many resellers read base notes, it’s worth noting that it is illegal to state xyz is from Firmenich or IFF on a vendors online website, unless you are an official distributor. I know this for a fact as I buy directly from both and have had conversations with both on this very topic.

I appreciate many online resellers may not be aware or are simply under the radar of both, but if you get found out, it will end up in the hands of their legal departments.

The same goes for the official paperwork, as providing official IFF or Firmenich paperwork is interpreted by both corporates as being suggestive of selling their products.

Thats an interesting thing I was not aware of. But this would mean, I possibly already do have naturals from IFF or Firmenich without knowing. Which of course makes it harder to decide if I should order IFF or Firmenich naturals, when in the end what I order is the same as what I already have.

Big L

Nov 23, 2019
Thats an interesting thing I was not aware of. But this would mean, I possibly already do have naturals from IFF or Firmenich without knowing. Which of course makes it harder to decide if I should order IFF or Firmenich naturals, when in the end what I order is the same as what I already have.
I Believe you might be misreading this. What it means is that by buying from some vendors, you could be led to believe that you have a Firmenich, or IFF product, while in fact, you have some generic alternative. Not likely that someone will sell you the premium product without letting you know about it.

HermitageOils

Aug 13, 2013
No, for as counterintuitive as it might seem at first sight, Polysom got it right.
Not likely that someone will sell you the premium product without letting you know about it.
Yes the temptation clearly is strong for many, so much that many online vendors advertise they sell xyz from these corporates. However, doing so is a clear breach of their terms and conditions, and if found out, it can lead to legal consequences. We personally double checked this with both corporates as mentioned, on more than one occasion.

But of course the best course of action is checking for yourself: get in touch with either, ask to buy x, ask if it’s ok to resell it as their branded product and see for yourself what they reply.

Yes, this causes issues for the vendor, as it prevents using the corporate’s name, which would enable greater sales.

Yes, this is an issue for end users as well, as many would like to know where a material comes from.

This being said, however, anybody could declare that the products sold on their website are from famous manufacturer x or y. As you will be aware, that won’t be necessarily true, just because it’s written on a website, and it is our understanding that this is one of the big reasons why these corporates do not allow anybody to use their names, apart from their official partners and distributors. Anybody else using their name does so either not knowing the rules or ignoring the rules hoping they won’t be found out.

Thus, the only way around all of this and to be 100% sure you are buying the official product is to buy directly from the official distributor or directly from the corporate itself.

Jolieo

Feb 18, 2018
If hermitage sells it- it isn’t listed as such- because they aren’t an authorized dealer- I have a great deal of hermitage’s products - so it is likely that I have some of iff or firmenich‘s products w/o realizing it
I don’t know if the big companies- have great distillations like Steele, or Eden botanicals ( which aren’t necessarily great- but always in range) - or if they doctor their batches one way or the other-be consistency could be key-
Naturals are always price/quality thing
I have paid high prices for what’ve hoped would be very high quality-and in the tiny amounts I buy , it’s fine. If I had to buy large amounts to make a good amount of perfume , I would seriously try to source from big sellers like that because it would end up being good quality for price.
But from where I stand now I wouldn’t source it, but if I could buy small amounts from resellers- I would buy it just to see, like I always do
Hermitage and Eden are my favorites for naturals- although psh is giving them a run for the money- just not a big inventory-and I love John Steele from pa- but that’s as a treat , because really the prices are nuts on most.
Robertet is also very happy for me- but the inventory is small at both pa and psh

what would be nice is if the catalogues were open at say psh, and we could all put in our pledge orders over say 6 months and power buy like that- if we didn’t meet the minimum on a product, then the order wouldn’t go through- but that would be hell to organize and track

HermitageOils

Aug 13, 2013
Yes, you are correct, in the past we did provide manufacturers’ information, as we were not aware of the rules ourselves, and possibly neither were the middle people we were purchasing these materials from.

Now that we work directly with the manufacturers in question we are very clear on this point.

Latest News