Preservatives! Advice and to please

LaFou

Sep 18, 2022
Hello BaseNoterz,
so as the title suggests, I’m asking on deck all who can help and advise me on the preservatives I should use and where to buy them! And at which ratios I should be using it?
with example that I made a formula and followed the irfa % and all! Now how and what kinda of preservatives I should use before bottling up for gifts or sale!

and should I write this as a label before handing out?

Allergens
  • cinnamic alcohol
  • hexyl cinnamal
  • citral
  • eugenol
  • geraniol
  • hydroxycitronellal
  • isoeugenol
  • anisic alcohol
  • benzilbenzoate
  • benzyl cinnamate
  • citronellol
  • d- limonene
  • cinnamaldehyde
  • farnesol
  • linalool
  • Evernia prunastri extract
Appreciate any advise on that!
thank you 🙏😘🌹

LaFou

Sep 18, 2022
Hello BaseNoterz,
so as the title suggests, I’m asking on deck all who can help and advise me on the preservatives I should use and where to buy them! And at which ratios I should be using it?
with example that I made a formula and followed the irfa % and all! Now how and what kinda of preservatives I should use before bottling up for gifts or sale!

and should I write this as a label before handing out?

Allergens
  • cinnamic alcohol
  • hexyl cinnamal
  • citral
  • eugenol
  • geraniol
  • hydroxycitronellal
  • isoeugenol
  • anisic alcohol
  • benzilbenzoate
  • benzyl cinnamate
  • citronellol
  • d- limonene
  • cinnamaldehyde
  • farnesol
  • linalool
  • Evernia prunastri extract
Appreciate any advise on that!
thank you 🙏😘🌹
Or maybe those as more detailed

Substance
  1. Amyl cinnamal (CAS No 122-40-7)
  2. Benzyl alcohol (CAS No 100-51-6)
  3. Cinnamyl alcohol (CAS No 104-54-1)
  4. Citral (CAS No 5392-40-5)
  5. Eugenol (CAS No 97-53-0)
  6. Hydroxy-citronellal (CAS No 107-75-5)
  7. Isoeugenol (CAS No 97-54-1)
  8. Amylcin-namyl alcohol (CAS No 101-85-9)
  9. Benzyl salicylate (CAS No 118-58-1)
  10. Cinnamal (CAS No 104-55-2)
  11. Coumarin (CAS No 91-64-5)
  12. Geraniol (CAS No 106-24-1)
  13. Hydroxy-methylpentylcyclohexenecarboxaldehyd (CAS No 31906-04-4)
  14. Anisyl alcohol (CAS No 105-13-5)
  15. Benzyl cinnamate (CAS No 103-41-3)
  16. Farnesol (CAS No 4602-84-0)
  17. 2-(4-tert-Butylbenzyl) propionald-hyd (CAS No 80-54-6)
  18. Linalool (CAS No 78-70-6)
  19. Benzyl benzoate (CAS No 120-51-4)
  20. Citronellol (CAS No 106-22-9)
  21. Hexyl cinnam-aldehyd (CAS No 101-86-0)
  22. d-Limonene (CAS No 5989-27-5)
  23. Methyl heptin carbonate (CAS No 111-12-6)
  24. 3-Methyl-4-(2,6,6-tri-methyl-2-cyclohexen-1-yl)-3-buten-2-one (CAS No 127-51-5)
  25. Oak moss and treemoss extract (CAS No 90028-68-55)
  26. Treemoss extract (CAS No 90028-67-4)

David Ruskin

Basenotes Institution
May 28, 2009
It depends on the final concentration in your end product. The potential allergens must be labeled if they are present in the final product at over 0.1% in wash off products, such as shower gels or soaps; and over 0.001% in leave on products, such as EdT. I think you may have asked this before.

What do you mean by preservative? Common anti-oxidents used are BHT and Tocopherol. As you have not mentioned either end product or dosage, little else can be said.

LaFou

Sep 18, 2022
It depends on the final concentration in your end product. The potential allergens must be labeled if they are present in the final product at over 0.1% in wash off products, such as shower gels or soaps; and over 0.001% in leave on products, such as EdT. I think you may have asked this before.

What do you mean by preservative? Common anti-oxidents used are BHT and Tocopherol. As you have not mentioned either end product or dosage, little else can be said.
Before I asked what are the listing on perfumes and it was allergens and I learned that and I save the list as you saw 😊 and I read some articles for eu and us regulations! And I found out how and where I can Make the compliance forms and applications and registrations and approvals! it’s a nice practice

now I want to know how Do I use preservatives let’s say in 100 ml eau de parfum at concentrate of 25% from 100ml?

LaFou

Sep 18, 2022
Before I asked what are the listing on perfumes and it was allergens and I learned that and I save the list as you saw 😊 and I read some articles for eu and us regulations! And I found out how and where I can Make the compliance forms and applications and registrations and approvals! it’s a nice practice

now I want to know how Do I use preservatives let’s say in 100 ml eau de parfum at concentrate of 25% from 100ml?
You have to bare with me 🤣😅 If ask many questions

ourmess

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 25, 2018
Alcohol is a preservative.

If you're not working with alcohol as your carrier, then decisions on whether or not you need a preservative, and which preservative to use, and how much to use, etc. will have to be determined on a project-by-project basis. There is no universal answer for anyone to give you.

LaFou

Sep 18, 2022
Alcohol is a preservative.

If you're not working with alcohol as your carrier, then decisions on whether or not you need a preservative, and which preservative to use, and how much to use, etc. will have to be determined on a project-by-project basis. There is no universal answer for anyone to give you.
So to be sure of what your saying, if I make a concentrate mix as per the irfa guidelines and percentages, and I add the P-alcohol, that’s all I need to be in safe side to give or sell commercially! Niiiiiiiice that’s awesome 😎 i mean sure I will mention the allergens too! but that’s easy enough! I believed it might have more to it! thats great! 💪😎 thank you

LaFou

Sep 18, 2022

Is patchouli ethanone same as iso e supper!? Im on the materials use website https://www.unguentarius.com/ingredient-statistics/patchouli-ethanone/54464-57-2?q=54464-57-2
and when I search for iso e supper it gives me this! I even searched In cas number and it still gave me the same! perhaps you can advice my dear!

LaFou

Sep 18, 2022

you Said bht, I found it on PA and I’ll order some! I’m assuming it can be diluted with ethyl 99% correct? And I’ll read all the safety data on it
the other one Tocopherol I couldn’t find! Where do you suggest I search to buy?
and I have one more question please
I bought some benzyl alcohol (500ml) , what is the use of it exactly? Do I need to consider using it at my final product with P-alcoho?
as always thank you 🙏 I wish i can answer some of your questions in return! 🤣🤦‍♂️

LaFou

Sep 18, 2022
you Said bht, I found it on PA and I’ll order some! I’m assuming it can be diluted with ethyl 99% correct? And I’ll read all the safety data on it
the other one Tocopherol I couldn’t find! Where do you suggest I search to buy?
and I have one more question please
I bought some benzyl alcohol (500ml) , what is the use of it exactly? Do I need to consider using it at my final product with P-alcoho?
as always thank you 🙏 I wish i can answer some of your questions in return! 🤣🤦‍♂️
Never mind, i found the answers for it all, thx 🙏

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...