Poll: Current formulations of Fahrenheit vs Polo (Green) vs D&G Pour Homme

Which of these would you choose in their current formulation?

• Fahrenheit

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Polo (Green)

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Save your money, they're all heinous.

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
I know there's an unending amount of discussion about reformulations of these three fragrances. I have a chance to get one (and only one, sadly) at a heavy discount, and I'm curious which of these would you choose in 2021, assuming it will be the current formulation. Gracias!

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
I know there's an unending amount of discussion about reformulations of these three fragrances. I have a chance to get one (and only one, sadly) at a heavy discount, and I'm curious which of these would you choose in 2021, assuming it will be the current formulation. Gracias!

I pay little attention to small reform talks (like modifications pre/post ifra for example), because the small difference are not worth the big price differences, in the very vast majority of the time. Only when the fragrance totally changes (like Moustache EDP vs EDT for example), but that is not a reforumlation in my book, but a totally different fragrance.

My answer, based on personal preferences, is Fahrenheit, and that would have been it independently of formulation. That said, it's a like comparing apples and oranges, because Polo Green is nothing alike, and not redundant at all.
The only one I would exclude - again: based only on personal tastes - is D&G PH, which felt flat for me, and I doubt that any vintage formulation would have been so different to go from a 'just ok' to 'love', for me.

NettyYeti

Jan 28, 2016
For what it’s worth, I own modern bottles of all three, and I’ve not smelled any vintages. I honestly think all three would be excellent for any collection. It’s really a matter of your personal taste.

I voted Polo because there is nothing else like. It is arguable the most “mature” scent of the three and perhaps the most difficult to pull off, but I think autumn is the perfect time of year to enjoy it.

Fahrenheit is no less unique and classy, but surprisingly “modern” for a fragrance launched in 1988.

For more versatility (and perhaps more subtlety), D&G Pour Homme is also nice, but my least favorite of the three. It would be an excellent daily driver for the office.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
Yeah, I recognize it's an odd comparison. They're each iconic in their own right (D&G probably less so, but still ubiquitous once upon a time) but from totally different eras and with no obvious uniting thread. Anyway, I'm passingly familiar with all three from frequent exposure over the years, but I just haven't kept up with the modern versions or the concerns around reformulations. (I do get that these concerns are often overblown, but in some cases not, like the Halston reissues).

On basic scent alone, these are all frags I'd like to own, but probably Fahrenheit most of all. It's good to hear the modern version is in good shape, if less pedal-to-the-medal on the gasoline note. Still curious to see how people vote but I appreciate all the insight thus far.

EDIT: for context, this is what happens when you luck upon a 40% off coupon at CVS (for up to $99). Have to put it to good use somehow!

Alex

Jan 27, 2005
I voted Fahrenheit, by mile. My January 2018 bottle is great.
Never liked Polo, after I used a 50ml bottle the re-purchase has never crossed my mind.
D&G even in original form wasn't exciting to keep.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
Safe to say we know how this poll will shake out.

Kind of funny: not a single vote for D&G PH thus far! I suppose that's expected when going up against a couple of legends.

subhuman85

Jan 21, 2010
Polo relied too much on oakmoss and retro musks to survive reformulation unscathed. The new stuff smells cold and ashy, without any human warmth. Fahrenheit was always a little drier and more remote than Polo's hairy-chested bear hug, and I think it's fared better.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
I pay little attention to small reform talks (like modifications pre/post ifra for example), because the small difference are not worth the big price differences, in the very vast majority of the time.

I have to agree. Sure, I can smell differences in direct side by side comparison and when sniffing up close, but it's not representative of a normal wearing scenario.

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
I haven't smelled the current iteration but this thread inspired me to wear the vintage (Place de Vendôme release) as my SotD. Smells lush and POTENT, it's very nice!

Polo is a prime example of why reformulation discussion is often justified. It’s not a straightforward subject and many factors usually get conflated into one.

Fahrenheit has had ups and downs through it’s life and although it’s lost some of it’s nuance over the years the core of its scent profile has survived relatively unscathed.

D&G Pour Homme has lost body and scent complexity with reformulations and what is left of the scent now feels like a thinner clone.

It seemed that years ago more companies took a ‘if it aint broke don’t fix it’ approach and so reformulations were only done when absolutely necessary. Nowadays it doesn’t seem unusual for 2 or 3 reformulations to take place within a decade of first release.

IFRA has obviously had a hand in making many of our favourite scents worse over the years, but without IFRA companies would have no one to blame for the loss of quality due to cost cutting.

Yes I get that certain musks aren’t biodegradable and certain materials should be protected as they have been overharvested but I don’t doubt that in most cases if companies really wanted to, they could make limited runs of fragrances using original formulas that would allow people to get a bottle or two of their favourite scent.

eriqesque

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 29, 2020
The newer stubby strayer get shit on quite a bit here. While not being as great as the old tall sprayers, it's still excellent stuff and unmistakably POLO.
Yea I’ve read a lot hate on here for it. I’ve found over the years of lurking and such here, the more people here like something chances are I won’t and vice versa.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
Update: shortly after the poll closed, while the site was offline for the big makeover, I picked up a 50ml bottle of Fahrenheit at a healthy discount. I can confirm this smells fantastic. Haven't worn Fahrenheit in ages, but this instantly reminded me of the original late '80s bottle my stepdad had when I was growing up. He rarely wore it, but I used to sneak sprays all the time.

My new bottle is a 2020 batch and has a solid diesel note without being overwhelming. No clue how it holds up to other formulations, but it smells fantastic and performs well. I find if I spray too close to my neck, it's pretty easy to go anosmic, but I know it's still performing as I'll get wafts of fragrance all day and my shirt smells pretty potent the next day. (Avoiding my neck has led to better results.) Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone.

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
No clue how it holds up to other formulations, but it smells fantastic and performs well.

Have you seen my thread about the 2019 formulation of Fahrenheit?

I love it!

Enjoy your bottle! :)

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
Have you seen my thread about the 2019 formulation of Fahrenheit?

I love it!

Enjoy your bottle! :)
I did, thanks for running down the details! I assume my bottle is the same or very similar to yours. Besides the fact it's still a very recognizable scent, I'm struck by how modern this smells in 2021. Odd florals + leather = timeless. Who knew?

trucupey20

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2014
I just got a bottle from Walmart and it is just water with the reminiscence of how Fahrenheit smells, I might try to buy another and see.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
I just got a bottle from Walmart and it is just water with the reminiscence of how Fahrenheit smells, I might try to buy another and see.
Maybe check the batch code and figure out when it was made? I gather recent reformulations post 2018 are supposed to be better than some, but I can't personally attest. All I know is my new bottle is plenty strong (despite the tendency to cause near instant nose blindness if I spray near my face).

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
The late 2018 ones were also really good, but more "rough" and leathery, less zesty and floral.
Biggest surprise to me is they took out the Lyral within the 2019 formulation (you can look it up in the linked thread, when that formulation started - January 2019 is still the former one) - and the newer ones smell even more floral.
I also like layering 2019 Fahrenheit with some Hedione from time to time, which also has somewhat of a floral smell.

yourthemannowdog

Jan 22, 2021
thats what i got when tried at macys cheap & thinned out . i do own bora bora exotic and enjoy that one.i looked for something that smells like Fahrenheit so i tried some imitations and they fell flat but bora lasted longer.

Latest News