pls help: diesel plus plus: was it reformulated?

F

fountain

the reviewer Andyjreid here mentioned that, seemingly, there were three reformulations of the sadly discontinued diesel plus plus for men.
now that i'm considering a blind purchase, pls tell me, has the original formula been altered? or,is it still the great milky sweet fragrance i remember from 1998? i remember its longevity was excellent, too. do you think i can safely order it pls?
i'm looking forward to hear as many comments from d plus plus enthusiasts as possible.
thank you.

Last edited:
F

fountain

thank you, Zgb, but your reply does not at all answer my question.

F

fountain

fountain, this is exactly the DPP i bought several months ago. I hadn't used it before i bought it, but it is exactly as described.

thank you very much, Perfaddict :thumbsup: could you pls comment on its longevity and projection?

The_Cologneist

Feb 27, 2010
I got a bottle in/around 2006 or 2007, I ended up selling it. It was a very synthetic sweet and spicy smell, strongly reminded me of Dunhill Desire mixed with a little bit of B*Men. I have been contemplating buying it again, because I tend to think I wasn't really unattracted to the smell as much as the way I was wearing it. Wrong time, wrong place, wrong season, wrong application.. I'm willing to give it another chance, but I'll probably only buy it if I come across it in person at a discount store. It isn't a must have, but it sure as hell is better than Only the Brave!

Also, I don't recall any milky or creamy sweetness.. I remember a spicy and sweet oriental.. Smells somewhat like body odor.

So with that said, it seems like we're talking about 2 different fragrances all together, or an obvious reformulation.

Last edited:

Riley

Sep 19, 2010
My bottle is that beautiful green milky scent (I made sure to purchase 2 back ups ) It reminds me of a light Boss bottled.

I find the longevity average at best & projection is moderate. You get subtle wiffs of it everynow & then.
Nothing that will get you noticed though. Its a perfect jeans & T-shirt kinda frag. Good for around the house or running errands.

Its good to see there are still fans of this still out there :thumbsup:

perfaddict

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 3, 2008
I really doubt that Diesel would reformulate ++ to such an extent that any change would be noticeable. It was never costly in the first place, just unique-smelling.

I get very good (8+ hours) longevity and appreciable sillage from ++. I guess the various assessments vary as applications vary. I tend not to hold back that much with sprays ;o)

F

fountain

I really doubt that Diesel would reformulate ++ to such an extent that any change would be noticeable. It was never costly in the first place, just unique-smelling.

I get very good (8+ hours) longevity and appreciable sillage from ++. I guess the various assessments vary as applications vary. I tend not to hold back that much with sprays ;o)

thank you, perfaddict. you rule. so, how many sprays would be sufficient, you think?

F

fountain

bumping the thread only to tell you that i just got the DPP, and it's excellent.
it's sweet, it's milky, it's tremendously comfortable to wear. just like the original 1997 formulation.
about five hours after application it becomes a light skin scent, and a very pleasant one at that. i applied it yesterday at about 6 p.m., and i can still smell this lovely 'sensitive lad' sort of aroma on my wrists. pls bear in mind people tend to confuse it with diesel zero plus which comes in an entirely different packaging, and smells (very nicely) like coca-cola mixed with powder, well, sort of.

Andyjreid

Oct 27, 2008
As I said in my review, the 3 bottles I owned (one from about 99/2000, another from about 2003 and another from about 2005 I can't remember exactly) all smelt different. The price dropped over the years too. The original was a nice smell however I don't think it was ever intended as more than a cheap "spray as much as you like to smell nice" scent.

I dont have any concrete info on reformulations, just me and my nose.

xaml

May 17, 2018
I resurrect this thread because I have recently purchased a specimen after having owned or I would have to say received this fragrance around the time that it launched. This recently purchased specimen has a batch code of "3401" printed onto the bottom of the bottle manufactured and or distributed by Marbert Cosmetics. It did not provide any information on two websites that I tried today. I would say that the scent is the same or at least rather comparable and not as faint as described above. At the same time though I somehow believe to remember it as stronger as in more dense. This could mean that something was changed, it could mean that this has been stored for a long time or it could mean that I wanted to remember it this way. In addition, this is an assesment after one first spray only and not a full wearing. Interestingly though, I remember the cap back then to have been made of a softer and almost rubbery kind of plastic compared to the harder kind of plastic present here. I remember this clearly because I sometimes liked to squish said softer cap. This means, well except if this is the same cap which has hardened over time, which I believe is unlikely as it then probably also would crumble or otherwise deteriorate, that there has been a revision to the bottle, which, for better or worse, also seems to present an opportunity for manufacturers to make changes to the fragrance itself.

nightcutter

Sep 26, 2007
I love Plus Plus. The soft caps are from late batches. In the early 2000s the caps were hard. Its not been manufactured since about 2008 so it is good that your bottle still smells alright. It was definitely reformulated towards the end becoming a bit sharper and greener than previous. I have lots of backups as it's my favourite fragrance!

Latest News