Pineward Perfumes

psawjack

Nov 14, 2017
Excellent additions to a nice collection.

The aesthetic appeal of Nick’s bottle design, as well as the quality of the scents...these belong right beside the other great brands you have represented there
Those apothecary glass bottles are so awesome! I'm really bummed they won't be around forever but I totally understand the reasoning. I just need to get all the ones I want before the 37ml bottles are all gone.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
Yeah the glass bottle is even more beautiful in person. The etching is what makes it - Penhaligon's has the same shape but has those fussy ribbons and labels.

I wore Christmas Wine again today. One has to be easy on the trigger with this - it's powerful. I wore 1 too many sprays yesterday when I went to go pick up my dry cleaning and the two employees at the front had a visible reaction to my sillage (they propped open the front door and let the shop ventilate lmao...no lie). Today, was much more manageable with one spray.

Bis100

Aug 7, 2019
I wore Christmas Wine again today. One has to be easy on the trigger with this - it's powerful. I wore 1 too many sprays yesterday when I went to go pick up my dry cleaning and the two employees at the front had a visible reaction to my sillage (they propped open the front door and let the shop ventilate lmao...no lie). Today, was much more manageable with one spray.

Ive had similar experience. One spray of Christmas Wine is ideal, which makes me admire the scent even more.

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
Great Fragrantica article indeed. Hopefully this will lead some more enthusiasts your way Nicholas.
Just out of curiosity. Considering your surname, are you of Swedish descent?

I thought Adam did an amazing job making my rambling interview responses coherent haha! The article was really well done.

My great-grandfather was from Sweden, and my family has been in the states since then. He emigrated later than many other Swedish immigrants, so his surname wasn't americanized to Nelson or something similar like many others.

I'm Nic

Apr 4, 2014
I thought Adam did an amazing job making my rambling interview responses coherent haha! The article was really well done.

My great-grandfather was from Sweden, and my family has been in the states since then. He emigrated later than many other Swedish immigrants, so his surname wasn't americanized to Nelson or something similar like many others.

I thought that might be the case. Thank you for sharing.
I bear the Swedish variant of your first name by the way, Niclas. :smiley:

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
Yes, I just finished enjoying the article on Pineward Perfumes and Nick on Fragrantica. It was a lot of fun to read and I really enjoyed it. It was also nice to see that Fragrantica had added Pineward to their directory as well. I wish Basenotes would get them added to their directory as quickly.

Robin oud

Jan 20, 2019
fanghorn sounds very interesting.
wonder if I should wait for the new bottles or go with the stop bottles , does this fragrance act different when you apply it like an attar?

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
20210102_111442.jpg

Ideally, I'd love to do something like this with the stopper bottles. I cut a groove into the stopper and added a silicon gasket, and it does well with sealing tightly. I'm searching for a manufacturer or even machine shop to do something like that, but to be honest I'm new to this field and have no idea where to start with finding leads. It's probably not feasible for me to do this myself as the first one took 45 minutes or so, but I could probably also refine the process.

thebeck

Mar 25, 2007
I like the idea of supporting one of our members.
Really like apple notes, so I blind bought a bottle of Apple Tabac.

Bis100

Aug 7, 2019
I like the idea of supporting one of our members.
Really like apple notes, so I blind bought a bottle of Apple Tabac.

Apple Tabac is one of the most realistic apple smells I’ve experienced in my fragrance journey (soaps and candles included).

Tonyprince

Jan 1, 2007
View attachment 143077

Ideally, I'd love to do something like this with the stopper bottles. I cut a groove into the stopper and added a silicon gasket, and it does well with sealing tightly. I'm searching for a manufacturer or even machine shop to do something like that, but to be honest I'm new to this field and have no idea where to start with finding leads. It's probably not feasible for me to do this myself as the first one took 45 minutes or so, but I could probably also refine the process.

I think your potential new bottles you posted are cool, too. Everybody likes your etched logo and your apothecary style. As long as you keep that basic idea, I think you're in good shape. You're off to a really great start.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
attachment.php

So this bottle - but with the dual choice of an atomizer or cap? ^

rynegne

Jul 25, 2012
Bottles/Decants...atomizers...all are such a total PITA. I applaud your efforts; the apothecary bottles and etchings look really nice.

rynegne

Jul 25, 2012
I'm wearing Apple Tabac this evening.

Up front it's as if you've bitten into an apple in the middle of the orchard. Hyper-realistic apple note with a slight cidery tang. Drying down I still get hints of apple intertwined with pipe tobacco (think the flavored stuff), brandy and a syrup-like undercurrent. Very persistent from a performance perspective as it's a beast that wears very much like a Tom Ford Private Blend in terms of both projection and performance. Definitely something you'd want to wear in the fall or winter months.

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
Bottles/Decants...atomizers...all are such a total PITA. I applaud your efforts; the apothecary bottles and etchings look really nice.

Thanks Ryan! My least favorite thing to do by far is anything dealing with the bottles. It's incredibly tedious to match up caps/sprayers/bottles/engravings and that's where I feel like way too much of my time goes. I'd like to have some custom apothecary bottles done up in the near future but the minimum order is quite high and I'd like to see how things go this year first.

The top notes of Steading are very immortelle-forward...very curry-ish, with that signature celery seed note that I recognize from Yatagan.

It's always interesting to hear how everyone interprets these, and you're not alone in noticing an immortelle accord Mike. There isn't any immortelle or celery seed in Steading per se, but I definitely understand what you mean. My covid parosmia effects things too, and I still wonder exactly how the perfumes smell to other people (my direct smell is mostly fine, buy I have very little ambient smell still).

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
...It's always interesting to hear how everyone interprets these, and you're not alone in noticing an immortelle accord Mike. There isn't any immortelle or celery seed in Steading per se, but I definitely understand what you mean. My covid parosmia effects things too, and I still wonder exactly how the perfumes smell to other people (my direct smell is mostly fine, buy I have very little ambient smell still).

I am not surprised that it doesn't have immortelle. I mean Steading is not like...say...Eau Noire by Christian Dior...or Sables by Annick Goutal. It is not quite as 'maple syrup'. But the curry-ish note...maybe I'm very sensitive to it. And I smell it in a handful of your fragrances. I also smell it, coincidentally in Madhat's Fields of Provence - every time I wear it my partner says "That's the one that smells like curry" even though when I wear it I smell a WHOLE BUNCH of lavender.

I wasn't aware that you had Covid and that your smell was affected. How scary (as a person it's scary, as a Basenoter it's even more scary - but jeez...as a Perfumer!?). Good for you in not letting that stop your progress with these wonderful fragrances.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I am not surprised that it doesn't have immortelle. I mean Steading is not like...say...Eau Noire by Christian Dior...or Sables by Annick Goutal. It is not quite as 'maple syrup'. But the curry-ish note...maybe I'm very sensitive to it. And I smell it in a handful of your fragrances. I also smell it, coincidentally in Madhat's Fields of Provence - every time I wear it my partner says "That's the one that smells like curry" even though when I wear it I smell a WHOLE BUNCH of lavender.

I wasn't aware that you had Covid and that your smell was affected. How scary (as a person it's scary, as a Basenoter it's even more scary - but jeez...as a Perfumer!?). Good for you in not letting that stop your progress with these wonderful fragrances.

I was also thinking about that as well. It's miraculous how good Nick's fragrances are...they are simply brilliant!

If my nose was being affected by COVID-19 anything I tried to make would probably smell like the inside of a garbage can...LOL...

thebeck

Mar 25, 2007
Got my bottle of Apple Tabac yesterday. Wearing and enjoying today. Very nice and different.
My Wife got out of bed this morning and said "what is that you're wearing today, it smells really good"

The plastic bottle the juice comes in has the best sprayer I've had the pleasure to use. A fine even generous mist. Love it.

Last edited:

SubUmbra

Jul 9, 2018
I don't think I know what that smells like isolated. The only thing I ever remember smelling that I (think) had carrot seed in it is this After-Sun Spray that Burts Bees used to sell (I never see it on shelves anymore). It had such a unique smell. Let me see if I can find a pic of it...

Carrot seed is an odd smell. It’s a spice, but not a sweet one. It’s oily (as in natural oils, thick and rich, not motor oil), texturally-similar to deer musk.

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
Murkwood is out of stock, but it'll be back in mid February or so. I also just purchased my own laser engraver to do the engraving myself, so we'll see how that turns out.

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
My bottles (Fanghorn & Steading) and samples finally reached me here in Sweden! So happy to get to get to know these over the coming weeks. Judging from my first sniffs, there will be more bottles to purchase!

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
Something that etches glass bottles will definitely etch fingers and hands too...so don't do this at the end of a long day of work or school, eh?:smiley:

Great to hear but watch those fingers!

Haha no need to worry there! The engraver I went with is a Beamo 30w Flux engraver, it's a closed-system engraver that can't engrave unless the panel is closed.

Now that I have my own engraver that is capable of very fine engraving (1000dpi) I may also experiment with some additional designs such as these:

Forest_Whiskey_Glasses_grande.jpg

il_794xN.2692545884_chug.jpg

Latest News