Pineward Perfumes

mrmorel

Aug 2, 2018
I've been absolutely pouring Incense and Fir aka Murkwood over myself since receiving it. It treads a careful line between some other fir-forward scents that I love.

I love Norne, but I don't always crave it. Sometimes that spicy clove opening can be a lot for me. Murkwood has the clarity of that fir balsam that I love, but is slightly more subdued. As the incense warms up and creeps in, Murkwood starts to veer more toward Fille en Aiguilles, a fragrance I love but have always questioned—but this avoids the musky softness that makes FeA skew a bit femme.

BUT... Murkwood wears SO closely to my skin. It's partly that I like it so much that i just want to be engulfed in it.
It might change a lot with spraying, too—I know that when I first got my sample of Norne I felt the same way.

Anyway, I sure hope it does get released soon! I've really been enjoying it, as well as the others. But I just keep coming back to this one.

ausphil

Nov 4, 2014
I receieved my international tracking yesterday. Cant wait to try everything, such awesome feedback above. What a great project JS.

psawjack

Nov 14, 2017
Will I have received my order including samples from the house and have given each frag a day's worth of wearing. Without a doubt Fanghorn is my favorite. It matches its description to a tee. Thick dark and powerful juice.

Now for Murkwood. That one is close to the top spot. I haven't tried many frags that combine incense and fir. Both notes present themselves harmoniously. I wish I had more to do a better sampling but the frag sits high for me.

Today was apple tabac and that's exactly what I detected. It is one of the best apple frags that I've ever tried, so realistic. After a bit the apple morphs into a blond tobacco and apple combo. So natural and quality. No secrets here, you get exactly what you think you will.

Christmas wine- I think will be vary popular. Wintery Christmas spices and a red wine base. The whole family loves it. A small bottle would work for me because I wouldn't have major usage throughout the year, only the month of Dec for me.

Boreal- wow this is right up my alley! I'm a huge fan of mint and I think he has blended it with the other notes masterfully. The only thing I can ask for is more longevity and some more projection but as is I can see it being used all year long along with office use. I might call it the safe one of the bunch.

Lastly is Steading. I get the hay and wheat notes hardcore. I wish I could smell more maple and the needles but the nose smells what it does. Maybe I'll try to score a 5ml and resample but at this time my least favorite and I wouldn't have alot of usage cases for it.

In summary I think that this house is an instant winner for me. I love all conifer frags and this house is right up my alley. I can't say enough high praise for a first release. I look forward to picking up as many bottles as I can. Oh yeah I love the apothecary type stopper bottles with etching. Very pleasing to the eye. They give the house a unique identity right off the bat.

Anyways I can keep going but lastly will say that I hope that this house has much success!

-A huge fan!

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

psawjack

Nov 14, 2017
I used the last bit of my Steading sample today. It's really growing in me. Lasts forever and I like the morph to the tobacco.

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
Crossposting this from Instagram:

All six perfumes will be available to order this Friday, the 18th.

For each perfume, 20 x 17ml bottles and 10 x 37ml bottles will be available to order. Additionally there are 4 x 70ml bottles each of Fanghorn and Christmas Wine ($220). None of these perfumes are limited editions and will be returning once sold out, though Christmas Wine will likely return next holiday season when sold out.

The website is currently down as I am implementing an actual cart/checkout system and will return on the 18th. Orders open 12/18/20 and ship 12/21-23, unfortunately most orders will not be received before Christmas as the perfumes need the time to age.

International shipping is available by default now, with an added $20 surcharge.

Orders of samples sets may be placed in the meantime by sending an email to pinewardperfume@gmail.com with your order, following which an invoice will be sent to you.

There is actually a lot more perfume made up than I currently have bottles engraved for, that's my limiting factor for now. Don't worry if anything sells out, as I already have more perfume in store and will get a new batch of bottles engraved around the beginning of the year (including Christmas Wine)

Anti-Fomo

psawjack

Nov 14, 2017
Crossposting this from Instagram:

There is actually a lot more perfume made up than I currently have bottles engraved for, that's my limiting factor for now. Don't worry if anything sells out, as I already have more perfume in store and will get a new batch of bottles engraved around the beginning of the year (including Christmas Wine)

Anti-Fomo
Great to hear. A bunch of other indies have a lot to learn from you!

psawjack

Nov 14, 2017
Looking forward to Boreal and Murkwood releases as well as Apple Tabac!

Fanghorn's still my fave so far, but Boreal and Murkwood are right there too! Love them all!!!
Those two are my favorites. I think Murkwood is even better than Fanghorn. Steading is growing on me. What a beast it is!

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
This house is a serious gift to those who love conifer fragrances as much as I do. I'm very excited to have all of the fragrances in this line. Anyone who loves fir, spruce, and pine as much as I do had better keep an eye on Pineward Perfumes as these fragrances are down right amazing! Thanks so much to Junior Surgeon for his impeccable skill in creating these gems!

I'm actually wearing Boreal today...it's excellante!

Last edited:

psawjack

Nov 14, 2017
The website is back up and running.

Question: Are the engraved glass bottles just splash bottles (non atomizer)? If they are shipped in glass decant bottles (non engraved) are *these* decant bottles atomizers?
The package I received contained an empty glass engraved splash bottle with flacon type cap along side a cheap spray bottle that contained the juice. I poured the juice into the engraved bottle and have been using it as a dabber applicator.

Ozymandias

Dec 8, 2019
Pineward Perfumes is an endeavor by our fellow Basenoter, junior_surgeon.
Wishing you much success junior_surgeon!

Ahhh, I was immediately drawn to this topic by 1) the name, and 2) the evocative and naturalistic sound of the notes. Now I know why! Really cool stuff and likewise wishing you all the best JS! Hope to try these out!

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
I ordered a bottle of the Christmas Wine. I wore it 2 times today and since this is a holiday-exclusive I decided to spring for it before it gets pulled off the site for and then I’ll continue to sample the other 5 to see how FBW (or decant worthy) they are.

There is def a pine vibe from CW. I kept mentally comparing it to Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens but then tonight I headed out to do some Xmas shopping and I wore some FeA and realized how different these two really are. The Pineward is definitely more complex and thicker (probably because it’s an Extrait - FeA is an EdP).

Bis100

Aug 7, 2019
Smelling, and re-smelling the offerings from Pineward....Amazing blending and compositions from such a young house. If Nick can produce these with his limited time in the game, I can only imagine what he can do with more experience.

psawjack

Nov 14, 2017
Smelling, and re-smelling the offerings from Pineward....Amazing blending and compositions from such a young house. If Nick can produce these with his limited time in the game, I can only imagine what he can do with more experience.
I totally agree and it is exciting to be here at the ground level.

So after much consideration I decided to go with a big bottle of Boreal. I really wanted Murkwood to be the first but I was trying to be practical in picking Boreal. I believe that its applications are more numerous compared to Murkwood.

SubUmbra

Jul 9, 2018
My girlfriend really enjoyed Christmas Wine, and I adored Boreal, so I got both.

I love the way cedar just envelops the pine in Boreal; the soft treatment of the former reminds me a tad of Burvuvu from January Scent Project. The pine and minty notes completely avoid anything floor-cleaner-like and instead retains a natural bitterness which is almost mouthwatering. I've never had my mouth water for a coniferous thing before, but here we are!

Tonyprince

Jan 1, 2007
I just got a chance to give the line a first sniff last night and thought I'd share my initial thoughts. Like everybody else, I think Nick is off to an excellent start with these initial offerings. I would especially encourage fans of Slumberhouse to give these a try. They don't smell like copies of them but there is a similar aesthetic.

Fanghorn is my favorite at this point. It has a lovely autumnal burning maple leaves smell and like most of the line, it has a slightly mentholated pine note at the outset that is very appealing. I definitely look forward to spending some more time with this one.

Murkwood is currently my second favorite. It's extremely woody and although it's not listed, it has a strong anise quality to me. Is anybody else getting that? It could be some other combination of notes creating that effect. It reminds me a bit of Vikt as a point of comparison.

Boreal is very green and initially I get a huge hit of peppermint which eventually tames down a bit to become more generally minty. It's the most linear of the group. It doesn't develop much, but stays pleasantly green and minty throughout.

Christmas Wine is very good and aptly named. It smells of spiced mulled wine and pine. Just sweet enough and extremely Christmasy. I think people would literally comment that I smelled like Christmas if I wore this, so for most people, this would definitely be a seasonal perfume. You'd be a walking Christmas party wearing this one!

Apple Tabac: I can see this one as having broad appeal. The initial smell is clearly apples. No doubt. You can't possibly miss the apples. The tobacco part is there and becomes more apparent as the scent develops, but to me the apple note is the star of the show here and fans of that note should absolutely check this one out.

Steading: Okay, I know this one is several people's favorite of the line but I found some of the early stages of it downright unpleasant. It's got some sort of accord that smells like whiskey and rotting leaves. It's some sort of fermented smell. Am I the only one who gets this aspect of it? I live in Kentucky and enjoy the smell of distilleries but I'm not crazy about this. I can see some of the appeal others see as the scent evolves but I don't think I'd ever wear this one.

I'm really glad I purchased the sample set and will certainly keep up with Pineward as Nick moves forward with his company! As others have said, he's off to a really impressive start. I may have to spring for a bottle of Fanghorn after the holidays.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I just got a chance to give the line a first sniff last night and thought I'd share my initial thoughts. Like everybody else, I think Nick is off to an excellent start with these initial offerings. I would especially encourage fans of Slumberhouse to give these a try. They don't smell like copies of them but there is a similar aesthetic.

Fanghorn is my favorite at this point. It has a lovely autumnal burning maple leaves smell and like most of the line, it has a slightly mentholated pine note at the outset that is very appealing. I definitely look forward to spending some more time with this one.

Murkwood is currently my second favorite. It's extremely woody and although it's not listed, it has a strong anise quality to me. Is anybody else getting that? It could be some other combination of notes creating that effect. It reminds me a bit of Vikt as a point of comparison.

Boreal is very green and initially I get a huge hit of peppermint which eventually tames down a bit to become more generally minty. It's the most linear of the group. It doesn't develop much, but stays pleasantly green and minty throughout.

Christmas Wine is very good and aptly named. It smells of spiced mulled wine and pine. Just sweet enough and extremely Christmasy. I think people would literally comment that I smelled like Christmas if I wore this, so for most people, this would definitely be a seasonal perfume. You'd be a walking Christmas party wearing this one!

Apple Tabac: I can see this one as having broad appeal. The initial smell is clearly apples. No doubt. You can't possibly miss the apples. The tobacco part is there and becomes more apparent as the scent develops, but to me the apple note is the star of the show here and fans of that note should absolutely check this one out.

Steading: Okay, I know this one is several people's favorite of the line but I found some of the early stages of it downright unpleasant. It's got some sort of accord that smells like whiskey and rotting leaves. It's some sort of fermented smell. Am I the only one who gets this aspect of it? I live in Kentucky and enjoy the smell of distilleries but I'm not crazy about this. I can see some of the appeal others see as the scent evolves but I don't think I'd ever wear this one.

I'm really glad I purchased the sample set and will certainly keep up with Pineward as Nick moves forward with his company! As others have said, he's off to a really impressive start. I may have to spring for a bottle of Fanghorn after the holidays.

The final version of Boreal has a lot more pine needle resin in it, TP. It balances wonderfully with the mint note and smells fantastic! I really love it.:smiley:

It's more like a Conifer lovers eau d' cologne as the longevity isn't as persistent as the extrait strength of say Fanghorn, Murkwood, or Steading, but it fits for Boreal and I'm so happy to have it in my collection. It's more of what I expected Winter Green from Dasein to be but Winter Green was strange with it's pomelo mixed with mint and not anywhere near enough pine. Boreal fixes all of that and is quite brilliant really.

Anyway, I've now got bottles of the whole line from Pineward Perfumes and Nick really has done an amazing job with each one! Here are my favorites:

1. Fanghorn: My new favorite coniferous fragrance!
2. Murkwood & Boreal: Tie. Murkwood smells like Norne without the clove note to me. Boreal is a fresh, coniferous eau d' cologne.
3. Christmas Wine: Fresh pine resins with natural fruit smells that become "tangy" for lack of a better word. Smells very festive.
4. Apple Tabac: Fresh apples followed by a light tobacco note. Smells wonderful.
5. Steading: I prefer the opening to the base notes. Starts out with some sparkle from the fir needle, honey and hops. Finishes with maple syrup. This is one to wear out of doors on a cold winter day.

I wasn't that fond of Christmas Wine at first, but it's really grown on me! I guess I was expecting some sweetness as there is in both Fille en Aiguilles and Sacre Noir, but I'm glad Nick chose to go in a different direction from both those fragrances with CW. It smells excellent.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020
Pineward is an exciting house! I could not wait to receive my custom sample pack in the mail. I was thrilled to place my first order of Fanghorn, my latest #1! I wasted no time in placing my second order of the second batches of Murkwood, Boreal, Christmas Wine, and Apple Tabac. (I am listing them in order of preference.)
I cannot wait to post pics!:eek:

psawjack

Nov 14, 2017
Pineward is an exciting house! I could not wait to receive my custom sample pack in the mail. I was thrilled to place my first order of Fanghorn, my latest #1! I wasted no time in placing my second order of the second batches of Murkwood, Boreal, Christmas Wine, and Apple Tabac. (I am listing them in order of preference.)
I cannot wait to post pics!:eek:
I'm starting to see a trend of top 3 liked:

Fanghorn
Murkwood
Boreal

I agree as well.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
It's been a while since I smelled the Pineward scents and compared them to the Slumberhouse scents that I have (a FB of Sova and a decant of Norne) and while the approach is very similar they really do not smell alike. One could easily own scents from both houses.

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
I really appreciate all the feedback and reviews from everyone, there's a lot more in store for 2021. First up, I'm looking to shift the bottles to a more practical design, I love the look of the apothecary bottles but the logistics and price of them isn't really sustainable long term. Secondly there are a few perfumes near completion that I am aiming to release around around late February or March, and third I am looking for some nicer dram-sized bottles to offer as a smaller size. Thanks for all the support!

Good observation Tony, there is a small amount of Spanish Anise in Murkwood.

Dec 25, 2020
Whatever you choose to do with the bottle design is entirely up to you, of course! Aesthetics aside, all I ask for is a good and sturdy sprayer nozzle with a tightly fitted cap, kind of like what you’ve got going now, if that’s possible. I LOVE the Pineward logo!

While I haven’t tried the rest of the second scent batch (I own THE ALMIGHTY FANGHORN from the first batch!), I want to say that Murkwood turned out for the better, much better than it had in the first batch sample set. (I told you my skin eats up everything!) Murkwood is a second / close first fave for me!! The dark tea note doesn’t come off like your typical boring tea in perfume, and the bed of cedar is delicious to my nose!

Tonyprince

Jan 1, 2007
I really appreciate all the feedback and reviews from everyone, there's a lot more in store for 2021. First up, I'm looking to shift the bottles to a more practical design, I love the look of the apothecary bottles but the logistics and price of them isn't really sustainable long term. Secondly there are a few perfumes near completion that I am aiming to release around around late February or March, and third I am looking for some nicer dram-sized bottles to offer as a smaller size. Thanks for all the support!

Woo hoo! Nice to know my nose wasn't going wonky and smelling something that wasn't there! :)

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
It's been a while since I smelled the Pineward scents and compared them to the Slumberhouse scents that I have (a FB of Sova and a decant of Norne) and while the approach is very similar they really do not smell alike. One could easily own scents from both houses.

Absolutely! I own a lot of Slumberhouse and all of Pineward so far and they are not repeats of each other. Both houses have excellent fragrances that stand on their own. I'm in heaven having so many amazing confer fragrances to choose from!!!! WHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL...

God

Dec 24, 2014
Holidays winding down a bit and was finally able to start trying the first of my samples. Had to start with CW since it’s the season:

Christmas Wine immediately made me think of Zahd, which was pleasant but expected given the subject matter of the perfume. Nice fruity cranberry opening same as Zahd, it goes on slightly less “sticky” but doesn’t seem any less powerful.

As it develops you get a lot of great spices, apple cider or cinnamon mulled cranberry wine. I moved on my bottle of Zahd so am going from memory here, but I feel like CW tends to turn more sweet and pine-y than what I remember of Zahd. Zahd has something weird going on underneath (in a good way) where CW settles down into pretty much a more subdued version of the mulled spices above, a nice sour fruity base. Maybe a bit seasonal as others have said but comfortable and pleasant. Good.

MWP

Oct 20, 2019

I understand your reasons for switching bottles but I just ordered my sample pack and really want those apothecary bottles in whichever scents I can’t live without. I was planning on spreading out the pain/purchases through the year but if you are stopping the apothecary line soon I guess I will just need to order now. When will you switch bottles? Really looking forward to these.

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
I understand your reasons for switching bottles but I just ordered my sample pack and really want those apothecary bottles in whichever scents I can’t live without. I was planning on spreading out the pain/purchases through the year but if you are stopping the apothecary line soon I guess I will just need to order now. When will you switch bottles? Really looking forward to these.

I still have a hundred or so engraved apothecary bottles left and will continue to use them while supplies last. The bottles I was tentatively looking to switch to are still backordered for now, so we'll see what happens there, but here are some of the bottles I have in mind. I'm looking to include both sprayer and splash tops with these type of bottles, similar to what Serge Lutens does with some of their bottles.

Not concrete plans mind you, but what I'm looking into.

20201229_085715.jpg

Latest News