Pineward Perfumes

LaDomna

Oct 6, 2015
I don't feel that Velvetine is full on gourmand, but it definitely has edible components, if that makes sense. As a fellow Slumberhouse fan, what do you think of the comparison to Fjerne in that particular aspect? Fjerne is a bit more pronounced gourmand, but there is still something about it that makes you think that you might die if you ate it. Kind of like the feeling I get with Velvetine. I agree with you, it is excellent. Can't wait to try Chandlery, the descriptions on here have me intrigued!

I got into perfume through full on gourmands, so I think my perception may be a bit skewed. Fjerne is another one that I'd just never think of as edible. It has a creamy cereal vibe, but even that bit of it doesn't feel gourmand to me. I do love perfumes that smell both deliciously edible and a bit poisonous, but neither Fjerne or Velvetine are like that for me.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I received bottles of Revelries and Velvetine today! I find it interesting that most of you find Velvetine to be a gourmand scent. For me it's vanillic sure, but not a gourmand type vanilla... rather a vanillic ambergris amber. It reminds me of Tauer Au Coeur du Desert or SHL777 O Hira. I'm not much of an amber fan generally, but this is the type of amber that I love.

I also got samples of Cotswold, Autumn Dusk, Chandlery and Snowfish.

Cotswold is really nice, but doesn't enchant me. A smooth high-quality woody vanilla.

Autumn Dusk has a rather epic opening. A kind of syrupy resinous peppermint. After the first blast fades it isn't as epic to me, but it does have a nice boozy spice type vibe that has potential to grow on me. I like Revelries better for that vibe though.

Kinda falling in love with Chandlery. I don't know quite what I'm smelling, but I find it floral (orange blossom??) and a bit sweet, but not gorumand... beeswax maybe? Idk.

Snowfish is not my thing. It does have a similar vibe as Grev to me, and I'm not much of a Grev fan either.

I agree with your assessment of Velvetine from the ambergris standpoint. I also feel like it’s ambergris heavy and I absolutely love that about it! It’s also so very smooth…just excellent!

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
I got into perfume through full on gourmands, so I think my perception may be a bit skewed. Fjerne is another one that I'd just never think of as edible. It has a creamy cereal vibe, but even that bit of it doesn't feel gourmand to me. I do love perfumes that smell both deliciously edible and a bit poisonous, but neither Fjerne or Velvetine are like that for me.

Yeah, I'm at the other end of the gourmand spectrum (I don't think I've ever had a full on gourmand in my collection), so it wouldn't be surprising if my threshold for what's edible is lower than yours. Just out of curiosity, could you give examples of the perfumes you feel have that delicious/poisonous duality? Ore might be the most clear cut example for me, but I have a feeling you might not agree :)

LaDomna

Oct 6, 2015
Yeah, I'm at the other end of the gourmand spectrum (I don't think I've ever had a full on gourmand in my collection), so it wouldn't be surprising if my threshold for what's edible is lower than yours. Just out of curiosity, could you give examples of the perfumes you feel have that delicious/poisonous duality? Ore might be the most clear cut example for me, but I have a feeling you might not agree :)

Yeah... Ore is a bit more gourmand-leaning than Velvetine and Fjerne, but not by much. The ones that come to mind for me as straddling the delicious/poisonous line are Rume, Vikt, Zahd, Hiram Green Slowdive, Dior Eau Noire, Carner El Born... Treacle and Revelries come closest from Pineward.

Bangkok Hound

User of Toilet Water
Basenotes Plus
Nov 4, 2015
A few weeks ago, I got some raw materials for reference and the coniferous ones really stood out to me, so I took out my Pineward samples and immediately ordered bottles of Steading and Murkwood. In with my order, which miraculously arrived in 8 days, was a sample of Genever. Has anyone tried this one? I don't think I saw it mentioned in this thread. It might be one of the others re-named, I don't know. Anyway, it's bright green (and doesn't seem completely natural to me) and maybe a little salty and very un-Pineward to me. I couldn't stop smelling the strip. I'll definitely get a full bottle of it, if it's released.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
A few weeks ago, I got some raw materials for reference and the coniferous ones really stood out to me, so I took out my Pineward samples and immediately ordered bottles of Steading and Murkwood. In with my order, which miraculously arrived in 8 days, was a sample of Genever. Has anyone tried this one? I don't think I saw it mentioned in this thread. It might be one of the others re-named, I don't know. Anyway, it's bright green (and doesn't seem completely natural to me) and maybe a little salty and very un-Pineward to me. I couldn't stop smelling the strip. I'll definitely get a full bottle of it, if it's released.

Funny you should mention Genever as I was literally just speaking with Nick about Genever yesterday. I was wondering if it would ever see the light of day as well. Maybe Nick can chime in and share his plans for that? I hate to share something he might want to explain better than I could. I like Genever the sample with it’s citrus and pine profile.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006

Is the fragrance based on the spirit Genever? I never liked the taste of Genever but it's very aromatic (like gin)

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018

Funny you should mention Genever as I was literally just speaking with Nick about Genever yesterday. I was wondering if it would ever see the light of day as well. Maybe Nick can chime in and share his plans for that? I hate to share something he might want to explain better than I could. I like Genever the sample with it’s citrus and pine profile.

Is the fragrance based on the spirit Genever? I never liked the taste of Genever but it's very aromatic (like gin)

Genever is a project I've been working on since last year but haven't been able to hone in. Originally (as per the sample Scent Detective is talking about) it was primarily an orange/fir perfume, and it went through 50-something iterations before I shelved it sometime in March. The accords didn't fit together how I had hoped, though I still would like to perfect this version for release at some point. Last month on a whim I put together a perfume that was more of a sparkling gin perfume with notes of juniper, juniper berry, white grapefruit, ginger, vetiver, eucalyptus, sandalwood, and pine which seemed much more appropriate for the name Genever. As Mike mentioned, this is indeed named after after the spirit which I'll admit I've never tasted and only smelled. It follows a parallel theme to the older Genever, but while the old Genever was more heavy and sticky, the new version is fresh and bright.

If you received sample of Genever in the past few weeks it was the new version which is still not finalized, but I feel it's getting close to being finished. I don't have any definite release plans for it as of now but I'd hope to have it ready before the end of the year.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Last month on a whim I put together a perfume that was more of a sparkling gin perfume with notes of juniper, juniper berry, white grapefruit, ginger, vetiver, eucalyptus, sandalwood, and pine which seemed much more appropriate for the name Genever.

Sounds interesting!

LaDomna

Oct 6, 2015
Thanks for the nice comments about my pic!

Just blind bought a bottle of Revelries hoping that it fills the void of my long lost bottle of Rume :-/

It does have a similar background vibe as Rume, but it lacks both the cola and the incense smoke. Hopefully it will fill somewhat the same niche for you anyway.

rynegne

Jul 25, 2012
I always got mulled wine, myrrh (cola) and bay...lots of bay! Beautiful photo btw.

It does have a similar background vibe as Rume, but it lacks both the cola and the incense smoke. Hopefully it will fill somewhat the same niche for you anyway.

rynegne

Jul 25, 2012
I've been spending less and less time on basenotes and more time on my instagram lately but I wanted to come back to report on Revelries.

Revelries came in today, packaging and the bottle etching are great...but who cares...on to the juice!

Upon first spritz I get loads of spiced rum and hazelnut. I'm reminded of Christmas when I was a kid...the smell of candles and potpourri from small shop displays in Hallmark. The little ceramic Christmas towns and ornaments, pure nostalgia. Many mentions of similarities to Slumberhouse Rume, however, I'm more inclined to say it smells more similar to Zahd up front and Rume a few hours into the dry down...but that's just my take. It is a scent that really stands out as it's own unique fragrance rather than a carbon copy of something else.

My wife asked what I was wearing today...and I said "Why?" I was expecting some kind of negative comment as she likes the usual suspects (Aventus, Elysium, Legend, etc)...but she just said, "You smell good." It smells like a candle but it smells nice. I get what she's saying and tend to agree it's definitely got a fall candle vibe probably from the syrup coated hazelnut note and spices.

Revelries wears like a warm holiday sweater and it's one I'll definitely consider on cooler days and definitely on Thanksgiving and Christmas simply for the aesthetic which tugs at memories that I hold close to my heart.

Nice work!

Last edited:

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I've been spending less and less time on basenotes and more time on my instagram lately but I wanted to come back to report on Revelries.

Revelries came in today, packaging and the bottle etching are great...but who cares...on to the juice!

Upon first spritz I get loads of spiced rum and hazelnut. I'm reminded of Christmas when I was a kid...the smell of candles and potpourri from small shop displays in Hallmark. The little ceramic Christmas towns and ornaments, pure nostalgia. Many mentions of similarities to Slumberhouse Rume, however, I'm more inclined to say it smells more similar to Zahd up front and Rume a few hours into the dry down...but that's just my take. It a scent that really stands out as it's own unique fragrance rather than a carbon copy of something else.

My wife asked what I was wearing today...and I said "Why?" I was epecting some kind of negative comment as she likes the usual suspects (Aventus, Elysium, Legend, etc)...but she just said, "You smell good." It smells like a candle but it smells nice. I get what she's saying and tend to agree it's definitely got a fall candle vibe probably from the syrup coated hazelnut note and spices.

Revelries wears like a warm holiday sweater and it's one I'll definitely consider on cooler days and definitely on Thanksgiving and Christmas simply for the aesthetic which tugs at memories that I hold close to my heart.

Nice work!

I liked your review. I had a similar impression as you to Revelries when I first tried it. Glad you enjoy it - I'm sure it will be getting plenty of wear as we transition into the cooler seasons. :thumbsup:

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
Cross-posting this from the Pineward Instagram:

I'm happy to announce that the entire Pineward line will shortly be carried by @perfumerialulua in Poland. While the shipment has not yet been sent, the arrangements have been formalized and the line will be available at Lulua soon. This should result in shorter transit times and lower shipping costs for European fans. Lulua will be first to receive batches of 3 new perfumes with this shipment as well, more information soon to come.

Also I should note that I've caught up on all outstanding orders that were delayed as a result of my moving, processing times should be back down to 1-4 days.

Moving the lab has been quite the ordeal and I have to push back the sales of Pineward extracts likely to next month, I just want to be able to offer the finest products and accumulate a decent stock in the meantime.

Thank you for your support in allowing the line to grow!

Dr B1414

Oct 21, 2019

I'm happy to announce that the entire Pineward line will shortly be carried by @perfumerialulua in Poland. While the shipment has not yet been sent, the arrangements have been formalized and the line will be available at Lulua soon. This should result in shorter transit times and lower shipping costs for European fans. Lulua will be first to receive batches of 3 new perfumes with this shipment as well, more information soon to come.

Also I should note that I've caught up on all outstanding orders that were delayed as a result of my moving, processing times should be back down to 1-4 days.

Moving the lab has been quite the ordeal and I have to push back the sales of Pineward extracts likely to next month, I just want to be able to offer the finest products and accumulate a decent stock in the meantime.

Great news for those of us in Europe:)

iveta

Jan 14, 2017
This is the best news of the day! Lulua is a very reliable e-shop, I'm already looking forward to shopping for new Pineward fragrances!

Paddington

Jun 17, 2021

congrats

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015

This sounds exciting!:thumbsup:

And, congrats on getting your wonderful Pineward line set-up through Lulua!:coolold:

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018

I always got mulled wine, myrrh (cola) and bay...lots of bay! Beautiful photo btw.

I think it really depended on the batch of Rume. The last one in the flask was BIG bay and hardly any incense. Earlier iterations were quite different I believe.

LaDomna

Oct 6, 2015
I think it really depended on the batch of Rume. The last one in the flask was BIG bay and hardly any incense. Earlier iterations were quite different I believe.

It's the last one in the flask that is full on incense for me. Rather similar to Kamali Incense, but sweeter and more complex.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
It's the last one in the flask that is full on incense for me. Rather similar to Kamali Incense, but sweeter and more complex.

Wha??? Really? So interesting. I had the flask and got NO incense. Furthermore there was a complete absence of any sweetness whatsoever in mine! Your bottle sounds like what I wanted mine to smell like :laugh:

But I don't want to hijack this thread. Those Pineward bottles look absolutely incredible. I was able to sample most of them earlier this year and am planning a big buy in a couple months. Maybe in time for Christmas Wine to make a reappearance?

LaDomna

Oct 6, 2015
Wha??? Really? So interesting. I had the flask and got NO incense. Furthermore there was a complete absence of any sweetness whatsoever in mine! Your bottle sounds like what I wanted mine to smell like :laugh:

But I don't want to hijack this thread. Those Pineward bottles look absolutely incredible. I was able to sample most of them earlier this year and am planning a big buy in a couple months. Maybe in time for Christmas Wine to make a reappearance?

I have two bottles of the summer 2015 cask. Fell head over heels and bought another bottle a few minutes after trying the first one lol! I once described it as caramelized incense smoke, though there are other notes in there as well.

I should definitely sample Christmas Wine again, might need a bottle. Also need a big bottle of Steading!

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
I went back to try Revelries today now that temperatures have dropped here, and it works much better for me now. I'm wondering if there are other spices not listed, along with the cloves and cinnamon? Fenugreek, or something like it? I'm also picking up on something distinctly herbal, almost hay-like in the opening hour, that I can't really place and that doesn't correspond to anything in the notes list. Anyway, this is very comforting and well executed. While they are very different perfumes, there is something in the warm spicy feeling this gives off that reminds me of POAL, which is never a bad thing!

I'd like to add that I absolutely can't wait to see what the three new Lulua releases will be. Please Nick, let one of them be the fragrance formerly known as Snow Fish!

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
I have two bottles of the summer 2015 cask. Fell head over heels and bought another bottle a few minutes after trying the first one lol! I once described it as caramelized incense smoke, though there are other notes in there as well.

I should definitely sample Christmas Wine again, might need a bottle. Also need a big bottle of Steading!

The only FB from Pineward that I own is Christmas Wine - I adore it but it's still WAY TOO warm here in FL for me to wear it.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
The only FB from Pineward that I own is Christmas Wine - I adore it but it's still WAY TOO warm here in FL for me to wear it.
Haven't had the chance to try this one yet but would love to if anyone has a samply laying around. So far, most from this house have been a hit. Murkwood and Apple Tabac in particular.

Latest News