Pineward Perfumes

solvovir

Aug 22, 2019
a new indie house has launched today. Pineward Perfumes

Pineward Perfume shop
looks like only 2 perfumes released so far. info from the website:

Fanghorn - Notes: silver fir, moss, lichen, wet soil, and damp vegetation.
A dark and sticky fir perfume with fresh dew and earthen root qualities, reminiscent of new and old forest growth in harmony.
Parfum extrait+ compounded at 38%

Steading - Notes: tobacco, hay, beeswax, barley, dried needles, poplar, hops, maple, and wisps of peat smoke.
A dense wheaty tobacco perfume with dried fir needles and honeyed maple sweetness.
Parfum extrait compounded at 33%

I am trying both but steading looks to be more my style. Once I receive and sample them I will share my thoughts.

Bis100

Aug 7, 2019
I am looking forward to putting my nose on the Pineward creations, particularly the ones featuring my favorite note: Tobacco

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
Hey thanks for the support everyone! It's been a labor of love and a long time in coming. I'm really proud of these first perfumes and am excited for everyone to be able to try what I've been working on, with many more to come.

j.zheyii

Nov 13, 2014
I like the concept of this house. Both Fanghorn and Steading looks very interesting. Hopefully I'll be able to at least sample them.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I've been wearing Steading today and enjoying it immensely!
I'll start out by saying that both Fanghorn and Steading are nuclear in strength and obviously made of high quality ingredients. As JS said above, theses fragrances are a labor of love and it shows!

In the opening of Steading I'm picking up maple syrup, confer needle, a bright, bitter sparkle, perhaps from the hops, and a slight tobacco note. It smells so good! There is also a resinous woodiness from the overall composition that has a slight licorice vibe like Vikt by Slumberhouse, but Steading doesn't smell like Vikt overall. The licorice vibe is very slight and I only smell it when I hold my wrist up to my nose for several seconds.

At 45 minutes in it still smells similar to the opening which is amazing! At an hour in the tobacco note has ramped up on my skin just a bit and it smells great!

At the 4.5 hour to 5 hour mark, Steading started to shift to more of the maple syrup vibe. I prefer the opening and heart notes to the far dry down, but it still smells excellent. Steading also lasts very well on my skin as it's over 12.5 hours since application and is still going strong. :)

I can't recommend both Steading and Fanghorn enough...they are both exactly the kind of fragrances I love and as I said, Junior Surgeon has obvious talent, which is very exciting as he's a conifer nut like me!:thumbsup:

Next up is the Mighty Fanghorn...which is a conifer lovers dream fragrance!!!

Last edited:

bl00drunzcold

Apr 24, 2018
Just put in my order for 17ml of Steading and Fanghorn. Have to support Junior_Surgeon since he’s the one that got me in to coniferous fragrances with his excellent coniferous fragrances guide on Reddit.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
Okay...today has been spectacular and the main reason it has is because I've been wearing Fanghorn all day and it has made me feel amazing.

Fanghorn is my new favorite coniferous fragrance, which is saying a lot because I'm very picky and opinionated about my conifer fragrances and I own quite a few that I've spent a number of years procuring and I'm so excited about the smell, the sillage, and the longevity of Fanghorn. It has just blown me away all day. As much as I love Norne and Fille en Aiguilles, Good Fir 11, Blood Cedar, El Cosmico, Jacaranda, etc., Fanghorn has just bumped them all down the mountain just a bit to take the top spot in my little Alpine world.

Today was our annual trip to the forest to cut down our Christmas tree and I couldn't have asked for a better fragrance than Fanghorn to accompany me today. This fragrance will be a lifelong friend.

Thank you SOOOOOOOO MUCH Junior Surgeon for creating this amazing coniferous dream of a fragrance. It's my new jam!:thumbsup:

psawjack

Nov 14, 2017
If anybody knows conifer scents it's this person. I'm looking forward to the restock of those 37ml bottles. I love the bottle design too!

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
Hi all, just an update to those who have placed orders:

I decided to expand the sample set to six perfumes (with these samples also being added to bottle orders), and ran out of vials to fulfil all these orders. The additional shipment of sample vials was supposed to be here last Thursday but has yet to arrive (or move at all from it's "in transit" status according to tracking), so today I went to the University chemistry stockroom and purchased several hundred half-dram vials to use in place of the other samples. I'm in the process of filling and labeling them tonight, and every non-international order will be shipped tomorrow. Apologies for the delay, and thanks for your understanding and support!

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006

I decided to expand the sample set to six perfumes (with these samples also being added to bottle orders), and ran out of vials to fulfil all these orders. The additional shipment of sample vials was supposed to be here last Thursday but has yet to arrive (or move at all from it's "in transit" status according to tracking), so today I went to the University chemistry stockroom and purchased several hundred half-dram vials to use in place of the other samples. I'm in the process of filling and labeling them tonight, and every non-international order will be shipped tomorrow. Apologies for the delay, and thanks for your understanding and support!

Thanks for the update!

ultravisitor

Nov 4, 2014

Looking forward to receiving my set!

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
All domestic orders placed before 4:00pm today were shipped, thanks for your patience. With the order volume leveled out and sample vials in transit processing times should be much lower for future orders.

Still working on filling out forms for international orders, I should have them sent off between Saturday and early next week.

Thanks everyone!

bl00drunzcold

Apr 24, 2018
Got this little package in the mail this morning. The little baggie of pine needles is a nice touch. Unfortunately I’m congested from a head cold so I can’t smell that well.

B5CB79A5-EC33-4C5D-BEDD-04BE13D09269.jpg

Last edited:

lukebunny

Mar 22, 2020
Got mine on Saturday, and I am quite happy. Fanghorn and Christmas Wine are instant loves. Fanghorn sits somewhere between Norne and Fume to me. Familiar, but with a totally unique identity. Steading I thought was good, but didn't blow me away initially. The longer I wore it, the better it got though. Very dry and sexy.

Very skilled perfumer, super excited to see what comes next.

Pineward.jpg

bl00drunzcold

Apr 24, 2018
Are you all decanting into atomizers? Or dabbing on from the splash samples?

They big bottles come in spray bottles which you can transfer over to the prettier splash bottles. I’m keeping mine in the spray bottles. One thing I’ll say about the atomizer though, it comes out heavy. I did one spray and it was a lot of liquid. The samples I’ll just dab on.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
Got my samples...wearing Boreal today. I dabbed it on and mixed it with unscented body lotion to try to get more application on skin. I like it. Woody. Resinous. I have no idea what the notes are for this, but I really like it a lot. There might be synthetics in this, but to my nose they smell very 'natural' (which, for a perfumer, is very difficult).

Fragrant Vagrant

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 11, 2017
My thoughts so far on what I have tried.

Boreal - Bracing, a strong mentholated and piney opening, the menthol quiets down but is present and noticeable until the end. Overall a bit more linear than the other offerings I have sampled so far, it is pleasant and unique, plus I think the name Boreal (North or North Wind) is quite clever and apt.

Apple Tabac - Incredibly realistic apple opening. I'm not talking about the artificial apple smell that you get in all the stores around Fall time, it smell like I'm sitting next to a bucket of apples while making cider (something I did just a few weeks ago, so the olfactive memory is still quite fresh). The transition from the opening (which has a very fair duration) to the heart/drydown is really interesting, one second you're chomping apples and next second, without warning, you're in a boozy, tobacco drydown. The drydown is where Slumberhouse fans will really get their kicks, it pays homage to Slumberhouse with a Kiste-Baque melange while still maintaining a distinct character. I will return to this one again.

Fanghorn - This one is really interesting, junior_surgeon's description on the Pineward website is "Notes: silver fir, moss, lichen, wet soil, and damp vegetation. A dark and sticky fir perfume with fresh dew and earthen root qualities, reminiscent of new and old forest growth in harmony.".
For me, the opening starts off with a really robust boozy note with some woods, it feels like sticking your head into a recently drained new oak barrel of whisk(e)y, I am reminded of Malt by Akro. As the the scent progresses to the drydown the aforementioned booze is dialed down to 2 and the woodsy note is turned up. What is really interesting is that I can really begin to notice an earthy scent filling the void left behind by the booze, this becomes more noticeable as time passes. I think this one will really please cone-heads looking for something new and interesting in the coniferous realm of fragrance.

Incense & Fir - A wonderful balance of the two notes, this has been done before but it is executed perfectly here and I am really enjoying the scent right now.

Bis100

Aug 7, 2019
So thankful that he decided to add all the samples to the pack.

I have not been this stoked for a sample pack in some time. Received today. Really appreciate the presentation of the small bag.

Unfortunately, outdoor time in the cold this past weekend has resulted in nasal congestion.....a bit more patience until I open into these, and plan to continue to enjoy the incoming reviews on this new house

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
...Boreal - Bracing, a strong mentholated and piney opening, the menthol quiets down but is present and noticeable until the end. Overall a bit more linear than the other offerings I have sampled so far, it is pleasant and unique, plus I think the name Boreal (North or North Wind) is quite clever and apt...

Ah menthol...that's what I smelled when I put this on.

I might wear it again after a shower.

Bis100

Aug 7, 2019
First wearing of Christmas Wine .

I expect this to move to first place in my Christmas season options.

Impressive creation Nick.

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
Really fun to read everyone's comments and feedback so far, the generous outpouring of support as well as funds generated from the first launch have given me the means to keep going with this little venture, which is all that I asked for.

My plans at this point are to have all six perfumes ready for sale a few days before Christmas, though I'm still deciding if Murkwood will be releasd this year. Bottles are currently being engraved, and I'm just waiting on casks to age a bit longer.

I posted this on Instagram, but I just wanted to note that all outstanding international orders were shipped Monday and yesterday. I am now allowing international shipping as a default option, I actually didn't know until this week that you could purchase international shipping labels online, which makes the process much easier than filling out customs forms by hand and having USPS workers read them into the computer. I'm still new to this and figuring everything out, but I really appreciate all you who have supported Pineward so far!

Staff online

Latest News