Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur in pictures

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
I was gifted a bottle of Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur last year when I was not into fragrances (had a wardrobe of 2 or 3 if you count Pierre Cardin). I did not think much of it and kept it aside in my bathroom shelf (I know. I know).
Over the past year I did reach for it often as a deodorant since it was the only frag in the bathroom shelf (everything else stays in cool dark place). I have started liking it and so got a couple of vintages. As expected, vintage shines brighter than current formulation but current version has the same soul and all is not lost. Vintage has Oakmoss and SW that is missing in current formulation but otherwise current is a good approximation.

Anyways here are some pictures.
Note that vintage have Pierre Cardin Cologne (or edt) written (in white) on the rim of the bottle and the sprayer tube is wider

The first 2 on left are vintages and smell very similar if not exact
IMG_20161127_220123.jpg

This one is the one on the left. I think this may be the oldest
IMG_20161127_220356.jpg

This one is the one in the center. I think this may be the newer (second vintage) than the left one.
Made in France.

IMG_20161127_220527.jpg

Bottom of the center (second vintage) one
IMG_20161127_220809.jpg

Latest formulation by Five Star Fragrance
IMG_20161127_220745.jpg

Last edited:

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
Iconic shape bottle. I seem to remember the box being coloured like the up to date bottle. I don't think I ever wore it as I was an Eau Sauvage and GG fiend. It was the signature of a friend and it smelled great. Good dosing of Oakmoss and Sandalwood as you say! Brings back great memories of Led Zeppelin and Early Disco!!

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
Iconic shape bottle. I seem to remember the box being coloured like the up to date bottle. I don't think I ever wore it as I was an Eau Sauvage and GG fiend. It was the signature of a friend and it smelled great. Good dosing of Oakmoss and Sandalwood as you say! Brings back great memories of Led Zeppelin and Early Disco!!

Guess in those days it must be hard to get a fragrance wrong. Just add real Mysore, oakmoss, nitro nusk and some citrus and wham you have a masterpiece.
Like food, good ingredients will get you there 90% (still have to do the rest 10%)

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
Great scent--haven't tried the latest, but the one on the left looks like the bottles I had back in the day.
Latest can be had for less than $10 and acts like a niche. Also has great longevity. But vintage is definitely better.
Surprised this does not get much love here. I mean it is not groundbreaking but is a well made fragrance that has been reformulated well, is cheap ,projects well and lasts a whole day.

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
Bumping cause this needs more love here on BN. Cheap, available and reformulated well

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Bumping cause this needs more love here on BN. Cheap, available and reformulated well

I agree. I have several vintages spanning US J Cochran and Aladdin production, French Parfums Pierre Cardin, and latest Five Star versions in Man's Cologne, Cologne Spray, Eau de Toilette, and Cologne Spray (again) respectively. The French one doesn't have the PC logo on the cap, but all the American ones do.

I also get quite a bit of patchouli in the deep vintage, do you?

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
I think the problem may lie with his name being synonymous with 'naffness' and mediocre quality -- as far as men's clothing goes anyway.

He actually tried selling out in 2011 but couldn't get a buyer

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
I think the problem may lie with his name being synonymous with 'naffness' and mediocre quality -- as far as men's clothing goes anyway.

Really no one bought it?
It has some brand equity and recognition.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
PC is comfy and cuddly. Soft and dependable, kind of like an old Buick. Not a single note out of place. It would not seem right in a bottle with sharp edges..

Agreed. I love the stuff in winter.

The one I use is the 2015 or so version. That one goes not have patchouli (or if it does I don't detect it).

I will fish out my vintage and let you know.

Cool beans, I don't get any patchouli out of the newer stuff either, just more orange and spice.

From what I remember, Pierre Cardin was an early adopter of brand licensing (a lot of houses do it now). He was making car interiors for AMC "before it was cool", furniture, you name it. This worked to make him a household name in the beginning, and his profits ballooned, but after a while, he let it get out of hand because he didn't know to have any sort of brand management at his company to review/reject requests to license his name, allowing his PC logo to be put on products he only barely oversaw design for if at all.

By the end of it all, there was Pierre Cardin stationery, baseball hats, and even a specific airline flight you could book with the Pierre Cardin experience onboard. It was pretty nuts. He became ubiquitous by accident by not having any level of quality control or brand management, and although he got royalties for all of it and became quite rich, his desirability went down the crapper and he eventually stopped designing clothes altogether and sold that off too, then tried putting the whole brand up for sale to cash out.

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
I tried the vintage version today.
Mossy. I think this and Chanel PM are the two, IMO, where Moss is a bad thing :).
I prefer less mossy version of these two. Small mercies of reformulatuons.
As for patchouli, I did not get any. But the Moss and spices do bring out sweet herbalness that can be construed as patchouli. That and my nose is not as good as most folks on this board.

This is the version I am wearing. Is this the original?
ea5ee6ae092881ca353ef8d32985ca52.jpg

Last edited:

coldmountain

Mar 25, 2017
Always thought PCPM was one of the more underrated vintage fragrances out there and it is rarely discussed here on basenotes. Here is the bottle I have and I'm not sure what vintage it might be but it is made in France and does not have any distributor on box. Haven't tried current version but from what I read there is quite a difference between the two. One of the better cheapies of it's day.

img005 (2).jpg
IMG_0926.jpg
img007 (2).jpg

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Mossy. I think this and Chanel PM are the two, IMO, where Moss is a bad thing :).
As for patchouli, I did not get any. But the Moss and spices do bring out sweet herbalness that can be construed as patchouli. That and my nose is not as good as most folks on this board.

Always thought PCPM was one of the more underrated vintage fragrances out there and it is rarely discussed here on basenotes. Here is the bottle I have and I'm not sure what vintage it might be but it is made in France and does not have any distributor on box. Haven't tried current version but from what I read there is quite a difference between the two. One of the better cheapies of it's day.

View attachment 95583
View attachment 95584
View attachment 95585

Both of these are original or at least in the same import packaging design before PC began making the stuff for US market in the US (Cochran and Aladdin) You'll notice no red plastic PC logo on French Pierre Cardin, as that was an embellishment only for the US market. Maybe you're right about the moss + herbs being patchouli-like. I'll sniff mine again and jog the memory.

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018

I see the dist. is Tsumura Intl. Inc. which is def not at bad thing. They took over from Swank with Royal Copenhagen. My pre-barcode RC Musk Oil cologne is by Tsumura and smells so amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
I see the dist. is Tsumura Intl. Inc. which is def not at bad thing. They took over from Swank with Royal Copenhagen. My pre-barcode RC Musk Oil cologne is by Tsumura and smells so amazing.

Give me Tsumura that Pierre Cardin Please.
Thanks folks.
Any more info on Tsumara ? I know nothing.
Oh and tried the Cochran version yesterday. No Moss. Very similar to 5 star version I have.

allkindsofwatches1

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 8, 2016

My exact thoughts when it comes to PC. It has been around foreverrr!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh -- I have Pierre Cardin clothing pop-up adverts everywhere now -- serves me right, I suppose :evil:

Marand75

Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
Thanks folks.
Any more info on Tsumara ? I know nothing.
Oh and tried the Cochran version yesterday. No Moss. Very similar to 5 star version I have.

Well, info is scarse but I do know they still exist making consumer products. They are a division of Tsumura & Co. which is a pharmaceutical company, and they are actually still based in Secaucus, NJ.
Don't know if they still make perfumes, but I know that the frags they made, for other houses as well as their own, were for sure top quality.

MonkeyBars

Basenotes Dependent
May 18, 2011
I have brought this up several times, but imo Cardin A Man's Cologne is a totally different fragrance from Pour Monsieur, which makes sense since neither the box nor bottle say "Pour Monsieur" anywhere.

I don't like PCPM as I don't like birch tar "leather". A Man's Cologne has no smoky "leather" and nicely restrained patchouli, with gorgeous lemony citrus up top. In between? A nearly identical accord to Old Spice deodorant, a clean vanilla with very little powderiness.

A Man's Cologne is a real masterpiece of classic men's colognes! I came upon it totally by chance in a vintage sale and have bought more. Unfortunately, some of my collection suffers from degraded citrus. The ravages of time are sometimes unavoidable! But still very wearable.

HankHarvey

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 15, 2014
My guess would be the fragrance started under Pierre Cardin, then moved to Swank, then J Cochran, then Tsumura, then Aladdin, and finally Five Star. My ten yr-old Five Star smells very good and pretty much as I remember it from when I was 12. (It was the first fragrance I ever had, gifted to me by my parents for xmas.)

masonjarjar

Basenotes Junkie
Dec 27, 2007
I was gifted a bottle of Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur last year when I was not into fragrances (had a wardrobe of 2 or 3 if you count Pierre Cardin). I did not think much of it and kept it aside in my bathroom shelf (I know. I know).
Over the past year I did reach for it often as a deodorant since it was the only frag in the bathroom shelf (everything else stays in cool dark place). I have started liking it and so got a couple of vintages. As expected, vintage shines brighter than current formulation but current version has the same soul and all is not lost. Vintage has Oakmoss and SW that is missing in current formulation but otherwise current is a good approximation.

I just posted this on the Male forum that I have a Five Star bottle that was part of a gift set that does list oakmoss as an ingredient on the back of the box.. Now I want to compare it to vintage to see how far off it is. Looks like there might be more than one Five Star version, unless they all are actually the same and the oakmoss is not listed..

PCEDC.JPG

Marand75

Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
My guess would be the fragrance started under Pierre Cardin, then moved to Swank, then J Cochran, then Tsumura, then Aladdin, and finally Five Star. My ten yr-old Five Star smells very good and pretty much as I remember it from when I was 12. (It was the first fragrance I ever had, gifted to me by my parents for xmas.)

Cool parents[emoji6][emoji106]
In Europe it was Pierre Cardin, then Coty and now, as of last year, InterParfums.

Marand75

Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
Hello Gents.
I just purchased the bottle pictured. Clear see-through box, pre-barcode and 80 "degrees" (not %), made and distr by Pierre Cardin Parfums, paris. Don't know of any batch#.
Do any of you have an idea as to how old this would be?
4b95303c265e8d66c1a1aa9bd5985c61.jpg

masonjarjar

Basenotes Junkie
Dec 27, 2007
my recent purchase in pictures.. this one is an Aladdin Fragrances 1.5 oz, raised plastic lettering on the cap. Smell is just fine, probably a little bit stronger
than my 5 Star bottle, but basically the same scent. The sprayer is interesting. Looks like something from an old can of hairspray. Any thoughts on the year? Looks like
the same era bottle as the previous poster. I don't have the box with this one.

IMG_9344.jpg IMG_9345.jpg IMG_9346.jpg IMG_9347.jpg

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
my recent purchase in pictures.. this one is an Aladdin Fragrances 1.5 oz, raised plastic lettering on the cap. Smell is just fine, probably a little bit stronger
than my 5 Star bottle, but basically the same scent. The sprayer is interesting. Looks like something from an old can of hairspray. Any thoughts on the year? Looks like
the same era bottle as the previous poster. I don't have the box with this one.

View attachment 115380 View attachment 115381 View attachment 115382 View attachment 115383

I used to have this bottle!

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...