Perfume on watch straps

samsmells

Jun 4, 2014
Hello BN,

My watch with leather straps reek of the heavy vanilla-gormound based perfume i was wearing throughout winter. It is getting hotter now and the strong gormound on my watch is clashing with my fresher scents that i am using now... Anyone know how to get perfume off watch straps? I've tried soap and water and for some reason it smells stronger.. :/

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
Hello BN,

My watch with leather straps reek of the heavy vanilla-gormound based perfume i was wearing throughout winter. It is getting hotter now and the strong gormound on my watch is clashing with my fresher scents that i am using now... Anyone know how to get perfume off watch straps? I've tried soap and water and for some reason it smells stronger.. :/
Perhaps try a cream leather cleaner. That might work, but just a guess. Worth a try I suppose. :smiley:

Last edited:

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Leather keeps perfume extremely well. So that will be very tough. try to aerate your watch as much as possible (ie put it over vents or the like), but it won't be easy.

cacio

Nj guy

Jul 24, 2014
Great thread. I thought I was crazy. Couldn't figure out why my two wrists smelled different. Luckily my watch band soaked up Cuir Pleine Fluer. I have the best smelling watch around. Will need to air it out. I guess wrist application was not a good idea.

samsmells

Jun 4, 2014
No sorry. That's why you shouldn't wear fragrance on your wrists (among other reasons).
Took forever to get the Issey PH off a metal band, and the Tuscan Leather I got on a rubber watch band hung around for nearly 2 months, so I can only imagine the situation with a leather band where it can really absorb deep into the material.

Never spraying on wrists again!!

Akahina

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 9, 2011
Yeah, leather holds on to scents for a long time. I went to a local shop that had the new Pear + Olive, sprayed a strip aand put it in my wallet to share with a co-worker later. That was weeks ago and my wallet smells amazing to this day. No complaints here, but a leather watch band? Go metal...

But this had me thinking that for scents with longevity issues, why not spray or soak a leather cord in a scent and wear a pendant? Longevity problems solved.

Last edited:

cc1987

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 25, 2014
Same happened with me and my leather bracelet, ive put mine through the wash and thats helped but yours is a watch so alot more difficult to do!!

rollzst

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 12, 2012
Don't worry about it and it time the smell will go. In future do not spray near your watch.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Simply replacing sounds like the best solution, but waiting until the fragrance simply fades may also work. Happened to me too once, completely unwillingly, while spraying too close to the strap. While it seemed interesting and exciting at first, having only one fragrance stuck for a longer time to the strap became kind of boring after a while, luckily it almost completely (or at least perceptibly) disappeared in a matter of weeks or months.

saminlondon

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 25, 2011
Oh, I love the mix of the different fragrances I wear left on my watches. They sort of blend together into something gorgeous and the leather adds to it all.

Me too! My watch strap is a compendium of classic Guerlains at the moment and smells absolutely delicious.

samsmells

Jun 4, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try washing the straps with laundry powder and see what happens.. Otherwise it's a matter or airing it out, waiting till it fades, or getting new watch straps.

samsmells

Jun 4, 2014
Oh, I love the mix of the different fragrances I wear left on my watches. They sort of blend together into something gorgeous and the leather adds to it all.

I am glad you are enjoying the smell! I tried to enjoy it too but it is getting increasingly difficult for me, there's just too much of everything i wore the past few months, combining into some strange mess lol.

sunny82

Basenotes Junkie
May 17, 2014
I work in a jewelry store and this is a common problem for customers. I have to work on watches that are impregnated with fragrances that I hate. We have a customer that reeks of White Diamonds. Kills me.

Mar 7, 2009
Darjeeling;3274 you shouldn't wear fragrance on your wrists (among other reasons).[/QUOTE said:
I concur that leather is quite happy to absorb scent and that if you wear an absorbent band (of any kind), the wrist is an ill-advised location. Here are two other reasons against using the wrist: (a) The absorbency of fabric, whether shirt, blouse, or jacket. Inadvertently I recently scented a jacket I regularly wear. (b) Soap and water. Lots of high-quality scents are virtually unaffected by water; some by soap and water! But not all.

So there's three reasons for avoiding the wrist. Now here are two reasons in favor using the wrist (or back of the hand): (a) The location avoids olfactory overload because the nose is not bombarded with the scent. You can smell the scent without moving your hands, but hand movement creates a gently scented air around the nose. (b) You can compare scents on the skin over time--one on each wrist!

zfx

Basenotes Plus
Aug 31, 2020
Apple Watch silicone bands also seem to become accidental scent bracelets. I might even steep mine with a touch of MFK Oud Silk Mood.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
It would be much easier (and the only guaranteed solution) to buy a new strap, than to go through days of soaking, laundering and airing out.

Latest News