Perfume: Light ,Airy, Transparent

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
E0WwyriD_400x400.jpg

(picture not relevant)

I feel these scents escape me I can never find one that can grab me, one that avoids the common clichés of the profile.
What is the Slumber house of the Light
What is the Odriu of the Airy
What is the Areej Le Dore of the Transparent

Help me Find them as I am lost in my mind trying to find them.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Seconding what the others said. The words are usually used to describe the style of Ellena (or Buxton if you want to go towards incensy). The reference is his Eau parfumee au the vert. Perhaps cliche by now, but it was very innovative back then.

cacio

zerofox

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 31, 2020
+1 JCE also some Keiko Mecheri. I rely on many ’negative’ reviews of poor projection and sillage to whittle down the pool of potentials. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz’ work has many a gossamer scent as well. I like her Japan moonlight series. Di Ser may be worth a try although they are not as whispy the naturals are crisp and unintrusive.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Also adding to certain (albeit perhaps much diminished extent) Wild Wind by Gabriela Sabatini.
While unaware about the actual perfumer behind this and also just marginally influenced by its name, this late 90s-early 2000s fresh scent is certainly one of the few that might effortlessly live up to a certain airy quality, impression and evolution once applied, tested, used etc.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
Since I'm thinking about it, a lot of the scents I enjoy most I would call transparent renditions of concepts usually used heavy handed. Another I'd suggest is Eau d'Hermes. I don't get so much of the body odor thing out of it, and it never was a civet heavy fragrance imo, but there is this transparent animalic essence underlying a fresh citrus and spice opening. Really good stuff, especially with most animalic fragrances being so heavy. Senyoko's La Tsarine is this concept taken to an extreme, and it feels so weighty like an oriental, whereas the Hermes is light & comfortable.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Glad people didn't stick to the brief.

There's so much great perfumery to explore outside the ''HYPEbeast'' artisanal brands dude!

Just because something is rare and expensive, it does not always equate to being the best smelling!
It wasn't meant to be a guide to be followed based on unicorn status more so the style they follow but the inverse, all that matters is if it smells good then perceived rarity

Sultan al Hindi

Feb 5, 2020
It wasn't meant to be a guide to be followed based on unicorn status more so the style they follow but the inverse, all that matters is if it smells good then perceived rarity
Jean Claude Ellena's work would be a great place to start then.

I'm not particularly a fan of his style (minus a few exceptions), but if you're after perfume that evokes the image of watercolour sketches, then he'll be right up your street. A true master of his craft!

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
These brands sell an idea along with their fragrances. If you're looking for that, you're going to struggle, as these are very modern marketing techniques that rarely translate in to light/traditional/wearable fragrances.

However, the answer is to be found in traditional European perfumery. Light, white musks, fresh citruses, delicate florals, soft woods. There are designer houses, like Chanel's use of aldehydes, to older niche houses like Annick Goutal and its citrus and woods, to newer niche companies like Heeley and his base of soft linen and musk. If you get stuck in to the perfume, rahter than the brand position, you'll discover this soon enough.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
However, the answer is to be found in traditional European perfumery. Light, white musks, fresh citruses, delicate florals, soft woods. There are designer houses, like Chanel's use of aldehydes, to older niche houses like Annick Goutal and its citrus and woods, to newer niche companies like Heeley and his base of soft linen and musk. If you get stuck in to the perfume, rahter than the brand position, you'll discover this soon enough.
I will look into this I've tried a few channels id more than happily own and will look into Annick Goutal and the mentioned Hermes(jce) mentions though I've tried Heely note de yuzu ( got 100 ml tester for 5 quid a while back from a store offloading there testers) and sel marin and one of biggest issues was the dry down I found it frankly put boring.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
any in particular u would recommend trying first?
It feels like the line's concept is taking classic ideas and modernizing them to fit into the brand's narrative and the modern luxury fragrance consumer's palate:

Parade: modern Eau de Cologne
Saint-Germain-des-Prés: modern fragrance Ophelia loosely similar to Après l'Ondée and l'Eau d'Hiver
Cologne Française
: a trompe l'oeil that subverts the idea of a traditional Eau de Cologne
Dans Paris: modern vanilla gourmand-like fragrance that some say reminds them of facets of Angélique Noire
La Peau Nue
: great grand daughter/son of someone who wears Chanel perfumes, minus the aldehydes, more modern and androgynous
Eau de Californie: tribute to California and built in the structure of a modern Eau de Cologne without using traditional ingredients in an Eau de Cologne
Reptile: most masculine and a statement piece in the collection, olfactory equivalent of a black and glittering kaleidoscope, dries down similarly to facets of Poivre Samarcande
Black Tie
: molecule-based fragrance like Baccarat Rouge 540, without smelling like it, captures facets of Eau Noire without all the polarizing bits
Nightclubbing: cigarette smoke paired with facets of Dior Homme's drydown
Rimbaud: only @hednic has smelled this one so far

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
E0WwyriD_400x400.jpg

(picture not relevant)

I feel these scents escape me I can never find one that can grab me, one that avoids the common clichés of the profile.

Help me Find them as I am lost in my mind trying to find them.
From your list of houses,
Slumberhouse: Pear & Olive is probably the closest I've smelled, but it does have a slight thickness as well since it is a Slumberhouse.

Odrui: I've not ventured into Odrui yet.

Areej Le Dore: To me there is an transparent quality to Chinese Oud, not that it doesn't have heft as well, because it does, but I also love the fact that it has a tranparent quality to it as well. Such an amazing dry down! Atlantic Ambergris II also has a slight airiness, but is also a dichotomy, because it's not airy at the same time, but I feel there is a quality of airiness to it. Lastly, I would say that if Plumeria de Orris didn't have such a sharp orris note, the fragipani is very transparent to my nose...ah, but I forget the powdery nature of Plumeia de Orris. It is also quite powdery which is not transparent to me at all. Sorry, perhaps PDO is not a very helpful suggestion.

Latest News