Perfume for «time-travelling» | Basenotes

Perfume for «time-travelling»

Rock72

Apr 30, 2019
Reading @ChuckW making a comment in the Dior Elixir thread about being taken back in time by the smell, it reminded me of the same effect that the `Tommy` by TH has on me. Spraying it on (yes, I still use it occasionally for that exact reason), it triggers really vivid memories and takes me back to a Summer in the mid-1990s when I was livimg in Germany. Happy times.

What is your time-traveller?

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Room 1015's Electric Wood makes me go back to a phantom memory. I feel like I'm back in the 90s and in the universe of The Craft:

craftthe2019-04-03-22h11m35s149.jpg

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
My SO says Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche reminds her of the early part of our relationship.

I wore Coty Aspen for a semester abroad in Sweden and the scent memory is strong. I never wore it before or since. Pulling off the cap takes me back.

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
Rogue Mousse Illuminee takes me back to early 90s scents I had owned. That sort of oakmoss is something I had not smelled in a long long time.

subhuman85

Jan 21, 2010
Fahrenheit reminds me of the country house my grandparents had during my childhood. Wildflowers, grass, and a lawnmower somewhere. I second the Tommy Hilfiger memories, as well - I remember smelling that one a lot in middle school, and I got a dupe of it myself for Christmas one year, before I knew anything about fragrances.

How about "imagined" time travel? Using scent to take yourself to a time and place you've never been. I like to keep some old Guerlains around for that, specifically Mitsouko, because it just reeks of the past to me (in a good way). I like to imagine the people who wore it when it came out, what their lives were like, how the air of the times felt.

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
Givenchy Pi, takes me back to the year of 1999 - that was a very good year to be in.
Ooooohh '99 was maybe my best year too - my senior year of university :happy::beer:

although the frag wouldn't be Pi for me it would be this:
Armani Eau Pour Homme takes me back to my first romance…and a long distance relationship. :smiley:
and whats amusing to me is, Armani Homme also reminds ME of a long distance relationship, as it was still my "signature scent" a year or two post college, when I was also pursuing a LDR!

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I may be quirky when it comes to this. The fragrances I wore heavily in the 70s, 80s and early 90s, I want little do with.

It isn't that any remind of particularly good or bad times in my life, I just had my time with those scents and let them go. In mid 90s, I started building a bit of what we call a wardrobe, and was alternating what I wore...so haven't really burned my nose out on any.

I guess Issey Miyake Pour Homme is one that I wore a lot that I still kind of like and takes me back a little.

mrcologneguy

Jan 2, 2009
Aqua Velva. My dad’s favorite. Still one of my favorites, too.

Also get the time warp effect with Halston 1-12 and Z-14. 1-12 was my signature scent for years.

Cevenol

Dec 22, 2015
Fahrenheit reminds me of the country house my grandparents had during my childhood. Wildflowers, grass, and a lawnmower somewhere. I second the Tommy Hilfiger memories, as well - I remember smelling that one a lot in middle school, and I got a dupe of it myself for Christmas one year, before I knew anything about fragrances.

How about "imagined" time travel? Using scent to take yourself to a time and place you've never been. I like to keep some old Guerlains around for that, specifically Mitsouko, because it just reeks of the past to me (in a good way). I like to imagine the people who wore it when it came out, what their lives were like, how the air of the times felt.

Jicky takes me to the 1890's Paris.
Strangely Monsieur Rochas always makes me think of my father , who's never worn any perfume at all...

LL Cool Spray

Aug 24, 2008
Fahrenheit is the closest thing that I've ever had to a signature. Back when it was the original full throttle juice. It brings me to a place of excitement of being a newly independent young man.

cpp214

Jan 20, 2011
Out of the ones I have that get worn frequently, probably Nicolai New York brings back the best memories.

One that I keep in the collection for nostalgic reasons but rarely wear, is Burberry London. Every time I smell it, it takes me back to the time in my life when I was just beginning to explore fragrances. Sort of a bittersweet nostalgia and for that reason I rarely wear it, but like to have it on hand.

Johnny_Ludlow

Nov 2, 2004
Tiffany for Men brings me back to the darkest days of my life. I think it's one of the best composed fragrances ever, but unfortunately I cannot wear it.

My father has worn Kouros exclusively since 1981. I was born two years later. He still wears it, but it brings me back to my childhood, late 80's and early 90's especially.

Carnal Flower now has a very strong association to one very special moment and it will always take me there. For the rest of my life.

Last edited:

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Armani Eau Pour Homme takes me back to my first romance…and a long distance relationship. :smiley:

Congratulations and happy to hear that such great scent was and ideally still is a choice linked to (again, hopefully) so many great memories.
This one happening to also be both a personal favorite as much as a time travel choice even if no (or less) happy personal memories were linked to it, would have still quite discovered APH in that ideal and idealized realm between both a time machine and a downright amazing scent on its own.

Jack Hunter

Jul 29, 2009
Vintage Colors by Benetton the one in the black bottle. Every one at college back in the day was raving about this one. I purchased a bottle and the sprayed deodorant and wore it a lot. I did later buy the reformulation about a decade ago which came in a blue bottle. Not a patch on the original!

Last edited:

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
One that I keep in the collection for nostalgic reasons but rarely wear, is Burberry London. Every time I smell it, it takes me back to the time in my life when I was just beginning to explore fragrances. Sort of a bittersweet nostalgia and for that reason I rarely wear it, but like to have it on hand.

I like to sniff many caps/sprayers for that reason. But I agree, the bittersweet part can be a bit too powerful. So I move on.

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
Vintage Colors by Benetton the one in the black bottle. Every one at college back in the day was raving about this one.

I distinctly remember wearing this during my Master's program days in college. Nice scent, and very different back then. Those two years I associate with Colors, Fendi Uomo and to a lesser extent, Fahrenheit.

Latest News