Perceptions of Boss Bottled Night

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
Hi Everyone,
Late last year my niece got married in Italy, so I hunted around Amazon Italia, and bought her a gift set of YSL Mon Paris and also saw a bottle of Boss Bottled Night going at a good price. I had smelled it many years earlier at an airport, but couldn't remember much about it - which is a sign I wasn't that impressed. So before buying it I checked reviews at Fragrantica which were very positive, and thus bought it for my new nephew. My niece messaged me that he had really liked it.

A couple of weeks back, I was wandering around the local chemist and saw a tester of Boss Bottled Night, and sprayed some on to see what I'd bought him. I was very unimpressed and thought "God - I bought him that! Is he just saying he liked it?"

Then, a week ago I caught up with my 22 year old nephew with whom I often discuss scents - he wears Spicebomb and Le Male - and he enthusiastically told me that he just had tried a really fantastic scent .......... called Boss Bottled Night.
I said, "What.....you like it?"
He said, "What.....you don't?"

All of which left me wondering whether I was getting hopelessly out of touch with what younger guys like.

What are your perceptions of Boss Bottled Night?
Regards,
Renato

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
From a the personal viewpoint of a long term fan and wearer of the regular non-flanker Boss Bottled but also into most of the flankers of this fragrance, perceived this among the better takes/variations on the BB main theme.
Sure, with no complexity one might expect from a Frederic Malle, Lutens or even vintage Chanel, Dior, Givenchy designer male fragrance, but still highlighting some nice, while not spectacular "darker" yet all in all inoffensive sweet notes.

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
From a the personal viewpoint of a long term fan and wearer of the regular non-flanker Boss Bottled but also into most of the flankers of this fragrance, perceived this among the better takes/variations on the BB main theme.
Sure, with no complexity one might expect from a Frederic Malle, Lutens or even vintage Chanel, Dior, Givenchy designer male fragrance, but still highlighting some nice, while not spectacular "darker" yet all in all inoffensive sweet notes.
Interesting thanks. You obviously perceive what my two nephews perceive in it.
I've quite liked the flankers I've tested apart from this one and Boss Infinite - because I can't smell ambroxan much. Maybe, I can't detect something in Boss Night that others can?
Cheers,
Renato

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
It's horrible.
Its release baffled me too, because it has nothing in common with the original. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Thanks. True - I can't smell much in common between them either.

Though I don't hold that against Bottled Night, as it's not uncommon for Night flankers to smell nothing like the original e.g Obsession and Obsession Night - but I like both those two.
Cheers,
Renato

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Interesting thanks. You obviously perceive what my two nephews perceive in it.
I've quite liked the flankers I've tested apart from this one and Boss Infinite - because I can't smell ambroxan much. Maybe, I can't detect something in Boss Night that others can?
Cheers,
Renato
Thank your for the reply.

Never tested (nor fully remembering) to have extensively tested Boss Infinite so far.

Also apart from this, most if not all of the nieces and nephews within family and my friends circle did like many-if not all of the nuances in the Boss Bottled range, both within the (feminine, male and/or unisex alike) within the Boss Bottled ones.
As well as within the both current and vintage, more mass market, as well as the more of the ones in (slightly) more elitist Hugo Boss designer, but also near niche/alternative ones.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
I have it-and like it. Its a stingy musk no other way to describe it. If you don't like gourmands you will like it most probably. I just wished it performed a bit better..

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
Thank your for the reply.

Never tested (nor fully remembering) to have extensively tested Boss Infinite so far.

Also apart from this, most if not all of the nieces and nephews within family and my friends circle did like many-if not all of the nuances in the Boss Bottled range, both within the (feminine, male and/or unisex alike) within the Boss Bottled ones.
As well as within the both current and vintage, more mass market, as well as the more of the ones in (slightly) more elitist Hugo Boss designer, but also near niche/alternative ones.
Thanks, very interesting.
I'll be finding out what my family thinks soon enough, as my Italian nephew is coming over for Christmas and I've bought bottles of Boss Bottled EDP, Infinite and Unlimited to distribute for my three nephews' birthdays.
Cheers,
Renato

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
I have it-and like it. Its a stingy musk no other way to describe it. If you don't like gourmands you will like it most probably. I just wished it performed a bit better..
Interesting description, thanks.
I like gourmands, so that's consisitent with my perception, and I didn't think it had a lot endurance from my wrist testing of it either.
Cheers,
Renato

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
Hi Everyone,
Late last year my niece got married in Italy, so I hunted around Amazon Italia, and bought her a gift set of YSL Mon Paris and also saw a bottle of Boss Bottled Night going at a good price. I had smelled it many years earlier at an airport, but couldn't remember much about it - which is a sign I wasn't that impressed. So before buying it I checked reviews at Fragrantica which were very positive, and thus bought it for my new nephew. My niece messaged me that he had really liked it.

A couple of weeks back, I was wandering around the local chemist and saw a tester of Boss Bottled Night, and sprayed some on to see what I'd bought him. I was very unimpressed and thought "God - I bought him that! Is he just saying he liked it?"

Then, a week ago I caught up with my 22 year old nephew with whom I often discuss scents - he wears Spicebomb and Le Male - and he enthusiastically told me that he just had tried a really fantastic scent .......... called Boss Bottled Night.
I said, "What.....you like it?"
He said, "What.....you don't?"

All of which left me wondering whether I was getting hopelessly out of touch with what younger guys like.

What are your perceptions of Boss Bottled Night?
Regards,
Renato
Yes Renato, you are getting out of touch with the current mass market crowd pleasers :)
No seriously, this is a scent that is hard to take serious sometimes because of how much of a cliche it is.
It takes a couple of wears in the right environments in order to appreciate it - if it garners compliments, then it must be good right?

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
Yes Renato, you are getting out of touch with the current mass market crowd pleasers :)
No seriously, this is a scent that is hard to take serious sometimes because of how much of a cliche it is.
It takes a couple of wears in the right environments in order to appreciate it - if it garners compliments, then it must be good right?
Thanks. If a scent garners compliments.......it's even worth a young fellow paying full retail price for it.
Though I'd have to see it going dirt cheap before buying a bottle and testing it out the way you suggest.

My getting out of touch started when 1 Million came out. It first showed up in the world in Australia......in discount chemists, going for A$60 a bottle. I smelled it, said "Ho Hum - don't think much of it"
and I passed.
Then I watched the price soar as it became a world wide best seller.

Same thing happened to me with Bleu De Chanel when it was A$120 a bottle.
Cheers,
Renato

Last edited:

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
Hi Renato!
I remember I tried it once on the strip card a long time ago and It didn't impress me either. So, I passed.
But I guess I'm a fundamentalist fan of old school fragrances... ;)

Cheers,
Renato
Hi Renato,
Yes - that's because we like out fragrances to hit us hard.
I'm a fan of Boss Bottles Oud EDP (the EDT didn't last long enough on me) - though it's more a cold weather scent - something you don't have.
Cheers,
Renato

Zgb

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 20, 2009
I didn't like it, not having anything against Boss fragrances. That being said, some of the people I know thought it smells very good back in the day when I had a sample. I think I should at least try it again to remind myself. It was made to be a mass pleaser and could easily be one today, regardless of being launched in 2010.

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
I didn't like it, not having anything against Boss fragrances. That being said, some of the people I know thought it smells very good back in the day when I had a sample. I think I should at least try it again to remind myself. It was made to be a mass pleaser and could easily be one today, regardless of being launched in 2010.
Thanks. Well, it will be interesting to see what you think when you resample it.
I suspect that with it being 12 years later, your initial thoughts will be reinforced.
Cheers,
Renato

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
To me, it was too much like Nautica Blue. I sort of like the regular Boss Bottled, so I was disappointed.

Later, I kind of got back into Nautica Blue, but I had already gotten rid of Boss Bottled Night.

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
To me, it was too much like Nautica Blue. I sort of like the regular Boss Bottled, so I was disappointed.

Later, I kind of got back into Nautica Blue, but I had already gotten rid of Boss Bottled Night.
Interesting thanks.
I've got a bottle of one of the Nauticas that I never liked much = I'll have to dig around the cupboards to see if I can find it, and see if it's Nautica Blue. If not, I'll try smell in shops if I can find it.
Cheers,
Renato

NickZee

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2014
Boss Bottled Night has a chemical hiss in the background that would have most of us running in the opposite direction, but that combination of triple-distilled candied lavender and violet does have a Saturday night-out vibe about it. If someone took the formula and replaced the base with with something high quality they would be onto a winner.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...