Penhaligon are discontinuing English Fern & Douro

alfapet

Jan 3, 2018
I didn't see English Fern and Douro listed on Penhaligon's website so I emailed them and asked - this is the response I got:

"Unfortunately yes, this fragrance has been discontinued from our range. We do apologize for any inconvenience and upset caused by this.

These decisions are made by members from our sales, operations, marketing, finance and procurement team, so we can assure you that this was not a decision that was taken lightly. We cannot guarantee that this will be produced again, as there are a number of factors to be considered, but your feedback will be taken into consideration.

We hope this information helps. Please do let us know if you have any further queries.

Kind regards,"

Kind of devastating really, so much history now gone....There are not much left that resembles the original Penhaligon and one would hope that they get stripped of their royal appointments, but that probably won't happen. I encourage everyone that appreciate these colognes to email them as well!

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
Yes -- Penhaligons seems to exist solely for the lucrative tourist trade now who want something 'British' -- preferably including a bottle with giant antlers attached.

Douro, of course was originally called Lords and was a lovely masculine and English Fern has been reformulated very badly imo so that was a certainty to go.

At least they were civil enough to send you a reply, but it is pretty sad.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
As a fan of Douro (aka Lords previously), I’m sorry to hear the news. But I’d rather have a fragrance discontinued than having it in the lineup albeit in a badly butchered or reformulated state.

Mayberry2

Nov 18, 2018
Those are 2 good and unique fragrances or at least they used to be years ago.In fact I'm surprised no outfit has tried to copy those two. Penhaligons are really a shadow of what they used to be.They are so far away now from that somewhat charming small to midsize fragrance house they used to be.Now for the most part they are just another fragrance company,just trying to be trendy.Trendy and expensive.I used to like them, now I have almost no interest in them.

Last edited:

Mayberry2

Nov 18, 2018
Yes -- Penhaligons seems to exist solely for the lucrative tourist trade now who want something 'British' -- preferably including a bottle with giant antlers attached.

Douro, of course was originally called Lords and was a lovely masculine and English Fern has been reformulated very badly imo so that was a certainty to go.

At least they were civil enough to send you a reply, but it is pretty sad.

They don't even seem English anymore. I wonder if they even still make their fragrances in the UK.

AceyMan

wearing dad's aftershave™
Basenotes Plus
Mar 3, 2007
Penhaligon's is cranking out *waaay* to many varieties the past couple of years.

As I see it, many of the new once are just small twists on a baseline composition, differing only in strength and one or two accent notes. I'd say their ouds are the clearest example of that tactic.

Admittedl, sseveral of the new bottles I quite enjoy, but now they've hiked pricing almost across the board, where $250USD puts them in competition with the industries best houses. I don't know if they have much jus that can prove their value at that price.

Back to the news at hand: I have one bottle of Douro I picked up about two years back and now may need a spare based on this news.

/Acey

And +1 to Jack Hunter's mention of Racquets Formula. What a barbershop gem; I'm so glad I have most of a bottle left as it's really quite special.

Kitty2Shoes

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 17, 2016
Yes -- Penhaligons seems to exist solely for the lucrative tourist trade now who want something 'British' -- preferably including a bottle with giant antlers

I had a sensible chuckle at the antlers part. The only perfume from the Portraits line I liked was the Bewitching Yasmine. I got a free sample and was surprised how much I loved it....but not for that price!

I enjoyed Luna and Juniper Sling.

When I was living in Yorkshire and number of department stores were scaling back or stopped selling Penhaligons. I heard they were mainly non-movers on the shelf or the clientele that bought them were not the young, hip, and moneyed shoppers.

alfapet

Jan 3, 2018
I agree as well, she was very kind and helpful and I'd made sure to let her know that I didn't blame her for what the company had decided.
Regarding the the latest incarnation (now discontinued) of English Fern -- I find that it still holds up and is a fine cologne, although not as "deep" and long lived as my bottle from the 90s and the oakmoss isn't quite there either of course. I do however still think that the modern version was a fine fragrance. Lucky for me though, I just bought a big 200ml bottle of the 90s version on Ebay!

I can't comment on Douro though as I only own its predecessor -- "Lords", which I adore.

Skickat från min SM-A105FN via Tapatalk

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Sad to hear this, hoping to still see these (re) included in their regular selection-even if having no indication nor info about reversing this discontinuation-or also as limited editions, but hopefully with better pricing and/or availability than with Ebay style (vintage/discontinued scents) retailers.

bokaba

Sep 13, 2007
Very sad. English Fern was great green fougere along with Wild Fern and Crown Fougere related to the original Fougere Royale. Pens is definitely headed toward (of not already in) the waste bin of history.

cornishlee

Jul 27, 2015
Terrible news. English Fern was one of my favorite fragrances of all time. Time to stock up.

This is what happens when you take your eye off the ball. English Fern has been a regular in my wardrobe for years. Hopefully I can still find some to stock up on and I haven't left it too late (I kind of took for granted the fact that I could always get another bottle as I ran out).

Penhaligon's used to be one of my favourite houses but I can't even bring myself to try anything in one of their vulgar new bottles. One look is enough to know it isn't for me.

Andrei Bolkonsky

Feb 20, 2020
This is what happens when you take your eye off the ball. English Fern has been a regular in my wardrobe for years. Hopefully I can still find some to stock up on and I haven't left it too late (I kind of took for granted the fact that I could always get another bottle as I ran out).

You should buy Trumper's Wild Fern. It is even better that the one by Penhaligon's. Trust me on this.

cornishlee

Jul 27, 2015
You should buy Trumper's Wild Fern. It is even better that the one by Penhaligon's. Trust me on this.
I have a sample of that and I plan to revisit it in the coming days/weeks but I can see I originally rated it 3/5. I remember it being more herbal and less sharp/green than English Fern, which to my nose had a fresh lavender (as opposed to powder lavender) top, moving through a lavender and clover mid, drying down to a mossy base for the rest of the day with faint memories of that original lavender kick still lingering.

Thanks for the suggestion, though - I think I probably am now on the look out for a classic English fougere to fill a big gap in my wardrobe. One I've never managed to try is Trumper's Lavender Water. I wonder if that may be close?

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
This is too bad but glad I already have both of these.

Am a bit surprised at the levels of negativity Penhaligons are getting. Not aware of much that is like English Fern so bad news they dropped it, but it seems like that is the norm where many of the beloved houses drop their best classics or reformulate them to mediocrity. So nothing different there. Is it the new Portraits that have turned people off? (Haven't tried any of those yet.) Or that prices are going up? Don't keep up with that either as go the discount/gray market route and don't keep much track of full retail.

Granted there's vintage Blenheim, Hammam, Opus 1870, all of which am glad to have. But the current Opus 1870 is still good, as is Sartorial, Castile is excellent, Endymion and Bayolea look interesting in early sampling stage. Seems like they still have a good number of semi-traditional English scents. Ones that don't smell like the new designer norm of everything smelling about the same. Oh well, maybe fewer fans will make it easier to pick up more of the classics at a good price!!

cornishlee

Jul 27, 2015
Tjere's undoubtedly a change of direction under the current ownership - as you say, the Portaits line appears to be aimed at a different audience to their traditional offerings and prices have gone up across the board.

Penhaligon's have been my favourite house for years, with Endymion and English Fern being my two most worn fragrances.

With little interest in ouds and none in gourmands, I feel like a man out of the times.

Andrei Bolkonsky

Feb 20, 2020
Tjere's undoubtedly a change of direction under the current ownership - as you say, the Portaits line appears to be aimed at a different audience to their traditional offerings and prices have gone up across the board.

Penhaligon's have been my favourite house for years, with Endymion and English Fern being my two most worn fragrances.

With little interest in ouds and none in gourmands, I feel like a man out of the times.

I like you.

My signature scent is Hammam Bouquet. I like ouds but hate gourmands.

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
But is Pure Havane truly a gourmand? I don't smell the cacao in it. I only smell tobacco (first cigar, then pipe tobacco) and something sweet lurking underneath....the vanilla.

Imo it is for the greatest part a gourmand for sure as honey, cacao and vanilla are very prominent notes next to the tobacco but very well blended.
Just (for fun so do not take it all too seriously) checked how often the word gourmand was used in the Fragrantica reviews and it counted 85 times, almost all stating it's a gourmand as well.

Andrei Bolkonsky

Feb 20, 2020
Imo it is for the greatest part a gourmand for sure as honey, cacao and vanilla are very prominent notes next to the tobacco but very well blended.
Just (for fun so do not take it all too seriously) checked how often the word gourmand was used in the Fragrantica reviews and it counted 85 times, almost all stating it's a gourmand as well.

OK, so now I state: I hate all gourmands, except for Pure Havane.

Would that be all right? Look at my wardrobe if you don't believe it!

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
OK, so now I state: I hate all gourmands, except for Pure Havane.

Would that be all right? Look at my wardrobe if you don't believe it!

Remarkable you always use the word 'hate'' when you don't like something and seem to take my comment way too seriously! I even warned you not too!:lolk:
I believe you right away, don't worry but that was not my purpose.....

Andrei Bolkonsky

Feb 20, 2020
I have strong opinions about everything: Literature, movies, perfumes, paintings, politics, creeds, books, etc. It is in my nature!

Latest News