Patchouli - the best of the best

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
All the best are already mentioned above. Only way to know is to test them. My favorites are:

Santa Maria Novella Patchouli
Zegna Javanese Patchouli
TF Patchouli Absolu
Frederic Malle Monsieur
PG Coze 02 (later formulations have drifted more patchouli dominant)
Classic Patchouli, Von Euserdorff New York
Incident Diplomatique, Jovoy
Boadicea the Victorious Imperiale

Last edited:

DanHD

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 15, 2013
+1 Patchouli Antique / Precieux - I have the Precieux and love it
HDP Patchouli Noir
Patchouli Leaves
Patchouli Nobile 1942 - This is a creeper and has been growing on me.

Last edited:

checkmate

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 8, 2013
For more straightforward patchouli, Nobile 1942 is hard to beat.

This is my absolute favorite patchouli centered fragrance in my collection. I hate to use the term "Holy Grail," but this is my reference patchouli that others are compared to. If you're a patchouli lover, this is one that is worth sampling.

Diddy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 14, 2015
Nobile 1942 is indeed a great one.

OP, for a different but excellent experience, consider obtaining some high quality patchouli essential oil. When I want a true patchouli fix, oil seems to get it done. It may be a bit intense or earthy a flavor for you. Idk. At minimum, it's a good experience and helps bring perspective to the various perfumers interpretations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FSOCI3TY

Jul 1, 2016
Does anyone have recommendations for an earthy, watery, and green patchouli dominant fragrance? Just something soil-like and not sweetened with notes like cocoa or labdanum. I liked the drydown of Patchouli EDP by Molinard for its simplicity. I tried Diptyque's Tempo a while ago but I'm going to test it again. I think Tempo is what I'm looking for but I wasn't sure if there were any other alternatives.

I've heard Baie 19 offered a realistic petrichor note so I might have to test that one as well.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
Well, since this thread rose from the dead after 5+ years, I'll go ahead and cite my favorite patchouli. My all-time fav is one that isn't very well known and can be rather hard to find at times, called Sole Patchouli, by Vertus.

There are no reviews of it here, but several have left comments about it on Fragrantica and I don't think I've seen a single negative. It's likely Vertus' best (and most popular) fragrance.

Jul 7, 2012
I picked up the Murdock London travel set this summer, which comes with 10ml of Avalon, Black Tea, Patchouli, and Vetiver. If you have any interest in Murdock scents, I highly recommend this travel set. It's fantastic!

The Patchouli, in particular, is quite good. It has a bit of a mainstream appeal without being a mainstream scent. Actually, I'd say that for all four scents in the set. None of them smell like what most guys wear these days (in terms of best sellers) but they're all easy to wear and easy to enjoy. If you're in the U.S., you should check to see if your local Nordstrom carries Murdock. Oh, and keep an eye out for when Nordstrom runs big sale events. I got the Murdock travel set on sale there.

So many valuable suggestions on here and surely Patchouli Noir by il Profvmo is one of the best, a great (underrated) fragrance

I suspect Patchouli Noir gets overshadowed by 1740, but you're right. It's excellent and extremely underrated (I realize I'm replying to a really old comment, but Patchouli Noir deserves some props!)

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
Does anyone have recommendations for an earthy, watery, and green patchouli dominant fragrance? Just something soil-like and not sweetened with notes like cocoa or labdanum. I liked the drydown of Patchouli EDP by Molinard for its simplicity. I tried Diptyque's Tempo a while ago but I'm going to test it again. I think Tempo is what I'm looking for but I wasn't sure if there were any other alternatives.

I've heard Baie 19 offered a realistic petrichor note so I might have to test that one as well.
Give Radiant Mirage by Estee Lauder a try. I recently got a bottle and it's a lovely, transparent patchouli with some jasmine & woods.

My other fav abstract patch is Nombril Immense by ELDO. It's very subtle and beautiful.

Edit - I just realized I'm the one who started this thread, and here I am giving advice lol. I wish I could go back in time and get a vat of Coromandel EDT.

Last edited:

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015

Maybe not enough dirt for you, but when you said watery green patchouli I thought of LV Orage. Also worth trying Molecule 1 + Patchouli which I found had a very similary vibe as Orage at a fraction of the price -- an airy wet green patchouli.

Melbourne Man

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 23, 2016

I wonder is Patchouli Noir by Histoires de Parfums might be worth trying.

Jul 7, 2012
I wonder is Patchouli Noir by Histoires de Parfums might be worth trying.
A few of us goofed above. It's actually named Noir Patchouli, and I do think it's worth trying, especially if you tried 1740 and thought it was too strong, or too beastly, or just too much.

To me, Noir Patchouli smells like a more wearable version of 1740, especially if you ever felt like you're not badass enough to pull off 1740.

1740 is a work of art, but it announces itself by saying to the world "I want you to know I am big bold and brash." The name Noir Patchouli might imply that it's darker, but it is not. It's more unisex, and it's lighter, but not light. In fact, I easily get 24 hours from Noir Patchouli, it's just not as loud as 1740... and not as in your face.

If you do sample Noir Patchouli, my advice is to be careful not to judge it before at least an hour. The opening felt a bit "perfumey" to me, though I can't quite explain why. But once it settled in... wow. It's excellent, and very long lasting.

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
A few of us goofed above. It's actually named Noir Patchouli, and I do think it's worth trying, especially if you tried 1740 and thought it was too strong, or too beastly, or just too much.

To me, Noir Patchouli smells like a more wearable version of 1740, especially if you ever felt like you're not badass enough to pull off 1740.

1740 is a work of art, but it announces itself by saying to the world "I want you to know I am big bold and brash." The name Noir Patchouli might imply that it's darker, but it is not. It's more unisex, and it's lighter, but not light. In fact, I easily get 24 hours from Noir Patchouli, it's just not as loud as 1740... and not as in your face.

If you do sample Noir Patchouli, my advice is to be careful not to judge it before at least an hour. The opening felt a bit "perfumey" to me, though I can't quite explain why. But once it settled in... wow. It's excellent, and very long lasting.
I couldn't smell any patchouli - more of someone's impression of patchouli. I didn't care for it (but I tried it ages ago when I started this thread).

Does 1740 still smell like leather and prune juice? I shouldve bought a bottle ages ago.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
I couldn't smell any patchouli - more of someone's impression of patchouli. I didn't care for it (but I tried it ages ago when I started this thread).

Does 1740 still smell like leather and prune juice? I shouldve bought a bottle ages ago.
1740 has a heavy duty immortelle note to me. Some really love it, but all I get is maple syrup and no pancakes.

freewheelingvagabond

Basenotes Institution
Jun 10, 2012

I'd suggest Coze 02. It does have a chocolate note, but not sweet - no sweeter than Tempo.

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
The vintage Etro - Patchouly is my favorite.
In cold weather, when is way darker, brooding.
It's good even in warm weather, but much sweeter and the old basement is gone.

vintage-etro-patchouly.jpg

Since this thread was resurrected I've worn Dior - Patchouli Imperial a few times and I have to say I love it.

Frederic Malle - Portrait of a Lady
Histoires de Parfums - 1740
Il Profvmo - Patchouli Noir
Reminiscence - Patchouli
(bargain)
Profumum Roma - Patchouly
Farmacia SS. Annunziata - Patchouly Indonesiano
Etro - Patchouly
Chanel - Coromandel
EDT/EDP

I bought yesterday a vintage bottle of Honore Payan - Patchouli.
Hope it's dark.
Love the color, it's promising.

honore-payan-patchouli.jpg

Last edited:

Opiate

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2010
Santa Maria Novella Patchouli or Profumum Patchouly are probably the best Patchouli fragrances I’ve come across.
But when I want hardcore patchouli, I usually just reach for pure Patchouli oil. I’ve got a number of different bottles: Indonesian, Haitian, Tunisian, vintage, aged, etc. They’re all wonderful, powerful, unadulterated Patchoul.

For something more modern- Frederic Malle Monsieur.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
Santa Maria Novella Patchouli or Profumum Patchouly are probably the best Patchouli fragrances I’ve come across.
But when I want hardcore patchouli, I usually just reach for pure Patchouli oil. I’ve got a number of different bottles: Indonesian, Haitian, Tunisian, vintage, aged, etc. They’re all wonderful, powerful, unadulterated Patchoul.

For something more modern- Frederic Malle Monsieur.
Monsieur is a very lean, thinned out high tech patch. I am getting to know it better. Very different from full throated patch.

FSOCI3TY

Jul 1, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried Diptyque's Tempo today and I think the mate note was trying to steal the show. The patchouli didn't feel too earthy and soil-y enough for me. It was almost too fresh and tea-like. I wish it didn't have that mate tea note so it could focus more on the patchouli.

Has anyone tried Horizon by Oriza L. Legrand? How does it compare to scents like Tempo? So far, I've tried Chypre Mousse and Vetiver Royal Bourbon from the line.

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
Has anyone tried Horizon by Oriza L. Legrand? How does it compare to scents like Tempo? So far, I've tried Chypre Mousse and Vetiver Royal Bourbon from the line.
I really loved the olfactory pyramid (Fragrantica). I liked the reviews, many of them, except for Colin Maillard's review.

horizon-olfactory-pyramid.jpg

Colin Maillard
Horizon opens with a nice, earthy and sweet patchouli note, on the Borneo 1834 genre but just more conventional and deprived of charme and complexity, with a dusty cocoa sweetness, rounded by a plain and elegant Iso E note of smoky woods, plus a warm and slightly humid accord of amber and tobacco. Initially pleasant, although not that original and a bit "pale", and from the very first sniff already "losing the battle" against some other more deep, raw or anyway interesting patchouli scents, without anything special to offer as added value. The worst part is however yet to come, far earlier than expected it basically collapses onto a salty, rubbery (leather? Oh...), nondescript sweaty drydown (that beloved synthetic taste of "aromachemicals overdose") with basically almost nothing left of the initial and still decent accords. Dull and clumsily rushed.

4,5-5/10
Of course, Colin is one of my favorite reviewers. But other favorite reviewers had very positive reviews for Horizon. Superimposed on the fact that Colin is not much of a patchouli fan, I thought at least one sample was worth buying.
He was absolutely right. Horizon is initially pleasant. I liked it a little more than he seems to like it. I hadn't detected Iso E Super at all. It's not original indeed, but I'm not looking for originality, but for the best execution. I really don't care at all who chronologically was the first to use a certain combination, or how many have made something similar.
Unfortunately, it quickly moves towards a wall of synthetic odor, which by the minute becomes more and more unbearable.

Colin Maillard
The worst part is however yet to come, far earlier than expected it basically collapses onto a salty, rubbery (leather? Oh...), nondescript sweaty drydown (that beloved synthetic taste of "aromachemicals overdose") with basically almost nothing left of the initial and still decent accords.
I get a drone accord of leather aromachemichals and something that tries to mimic the damp and moldy (old basement) side of patchouli in a very flat, highly tenacious synthetic way (fenchyl alcohol?).

Colin Maillard
4,5-5/10
Even here he was very accurate (from my perspective).
Between 5 (in my book it means that I don't like it at all, but I didn't wash it down) and 4 (I didn't like it at all, I washed it down).
I've made great efforts not to wash it down.

I don't have anything in particular against synthetics. I have something against very poorly executed synthetic accords.
I praised Patchouli Imperial above. Yes, it has a synthetic woody-ambery accord that lingers on wrist for days. But it's very pleasant and well done.
Reminiscence - Patchouli is enhanced with white musk, suede synthetics and resins made to mimic some of the patchouli facets and it does it pretty well. Yeah, indeed, I would have liked a bit more thickness, not so fluffy. And also I'm not a big fan of suede aromachemicals. But there is nothing there that I cannot easily get over it.

33450_b3e60d1cc048e4e2f6fd8193d3438253_horizon.jpg

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...