Patchouli absolute

tensor9

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 18, 2014
What in interesting material.

A little quieter, but quite similar to the steam distilled stuff, but without the dry, earthy bite. Slightly sweeter, possibly with an ever so distant almost fruity nuance.

I've found that patchouli gives the fragrance I have in development the darkness that I was looking for, so I've been exploring different types.

IMO, the absolute is a must have if you're interested in patchouli. Between light patchouli (steam distilled in stainless steel or copper pots), molecular (vacuum) distilled, and the absolute (in order from most to least earthy), it seems that you can dial your patchouli in anyway you like. Not sure who would use dark patchouli, as the iron picked up in the iron stills gives it an unpalatable bite to my taste.

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
What particular absolute material(s) are you talking about? They can be as different from one another as any one of them can be to any particular essential oil...

tensor9

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 18, 2014
What particular absolute material(s) are you talking about? They can be as different from one another as any one of them can be to any particular essential oil...
The absolute and vacuum distillate from Robertet, light patchouli from Eden.

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
The absolute and vacuum distillate from Robertet, light patchouli from Eden.

Yes, Robertet patchouli absolute is my absolute #1 favorite patchouli material for introducing a transparent shimmering woody patchouli effect in a secondary role in compositions. The fraction B, tbh I have had some trouble working with, but I think that is more that I just lack extensive experience putting patchouli in a more prominent compositional role. I should work on that tho! 😹 😹 😹

Latest News