Parts VS Percentages

LaFou

Focus your thoughts, & wonders will appear
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2022
After Greetings,
I hope you are all doing well and staying healthy,

A question, might sound silly, but better to check,

When Working with hard materials which are thick and needs heating to use, if i dilute it to 50% and used double the quantity would be the same?
I can’t keep heating and cooling.. pain

example:
I need 10 parts of material X

if I dilute it 50% and used 20 parts, is it the same of using it normal at 10 parts? Or would there be a difference due to the fact of dilution medium like Etho or IPM or DPG

I feel from what I experienced , that yes there is a difference! But it might be inaccurate because of the predictive idea I built in mind first when I assessed! and actually there might be no difference,

appreciate your advice 🙏
thank you

darkwitch

Basenotes Member
Dec 2, 2021
The amount of material will remain the same, but you now added just as much of the dilutant., so there is of course a difference and it's "not the same", whatever that means.

What you are probably asking is if it will behave in exactly the same way as before (perceived strength, longevity, etc). That is very depending on the material itself, the context you use it in, and the type of dilutant. All the way from no noticable change at all to wow this is rather different now.

LaFou

Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2022
The amount of material will remain the same, but you now added just as much of the dilutant., so there is of course a difference and it's "not the same", whatever that means.

What you are probably asking is if it will behave in exactly the same way as before (perceived strength, longevity, etc). That is very depending on the material itself, the context you use it in, and the type of dilutant. All the way from no noticable change at all to wow this is rather different now.
Yes, exactly as you explained.. was poor writing from my side! But you answered my question!
hence, it will be with my preference of work and how I choose or when I choose to dilute or not based on the scent effect or ease of usability!
logical, thank you 🙏
(Virtual) 🍬 for your help : )

julian35

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 28, 2009
One way of dealing with this is to dilute into another EO that you know you will use. For instance Bergamot. EO is a great dilutant if you don't want to use IPM, ethanol, DPG, etc. The trick is, of course, if you dilute 50/50 for instance in Bergamot, then be sure you are using Berg in your formula to at least that amount...LOL

LaFou

Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2022
One way of dealing with this is to dilute into another EO that you know you will use. For instance Bergamot. EO is a great dilutant if you don't want to use IPM, ethanol, DPG, etc. The trick is, of course, if you dilute 50/50 for instance in Bergamot, then be sure you are using Berg in your formula to at least that amount...LOL
Another practical approach, with valid reasoning! This could work with certain materials!
thank you dear 🙏🙏

Casper_grassy

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2020
Just keep in mind that many things, more so crystals/powders could still be unusable at 50% dilution as in you’d still have to heat/melt it, eg: Musk Ketone, Celestolide, Rose Crystals, Coumarin . . .

So either 1. deal with the heating or 2. Dilute to 10%. It isn’t a big deal adding diluent to a concentrate that will be further diluted anyways.

For myself, something like Cocoa Absolute or Immortelle absolute are both so damn thick and I find it annoying to use, so I dilute them and can weigh them accurately and effectively with ease, and I’ll always keep undiluted stock just in case.

David Ruskin

Basenotes Institution
May 28, 2009
Keep it simple. Many solid ingredients do not need diluting, they can be dissolved in your perfume concentrate. Some materials (e.g. Galaxolide) are too viscous to be used easily, these are diluted to make it easier to use them. In all the time I was working I only ever used Galaxolide 50(either in DEP or in Benzyl Benzoate). Some ingredients are too strong to be used undiluted, and so it is necessary to use a suitable dilution.

If you wish to use a solution, then regard that solution, simply, as an ingredient. Judge how much you need to use by its smell, and strength. That's it. The only time you need to worry is if you want to make a larger batch of the same formula. You can either use the solution, or split it into solvent and solute. Both should be used as they were both in the original formula.

In the first place I worked, we had the compounding factory on site. Some ingredients were kept in a hot room ( well, a warm room really) so that they were always liquid and so easy to use; if used quickly, before they solidified.

Keep it simple.

LaFou

Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2022
Thank you guys, i will reply to all here, instead of one to one,
the above is well received and much appreciated, I thank you all 🙏

But it’s worth to note, that I was researching and reading about this and apparently no it doesn’t make any difference, for the material effect itself when diluted in DPG! so the material will behave the same regardless of dilution of DPG (alcohol or other dilution mediums will affect), this is made on no scent interference Between diluting material with DPG

but, it is to be considered the following: the material molecular weight and it’s vapor pressure intensity 1 to 10 Hg / or/ 10 to 1000 microns
Noting the materials will loose 1 level of intensity when ever it’s diluted by 40% , (100% - 60% - 24% - 9.600000000000001)!

hence, the actual strength or effect of material is unchanged, regardless of the DPG dilution!

i felt I should share this with you guys :)

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...

pp