socalwoman

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2004
I heard from Diane at Caron today who finally heard back from the powers that be in Paris about Caron Parfum Sacre extrait.

The scent was discontinued in that formulation many, many years ago but they do have some very well stored (in aluminum cannisters) juice available still, but only at the two Caron boutiques in France. She did try to get some sent to her at the NY boutique, but they won't do it.

To get it, you can go through http://www.parfumscaron.com/ and use the CONTACT US feature to send them a message that mentions "Diane said this is available..." and ask to have some sent. They will decant it into 20 ml, 50 ml or 100 ml bottles.

I have been hoarding my precious, tiny 1/4 oz bottle of this like Gollum. If you like the EDP, you will ADORE the parfum. It is even smoother, richer and deeper.

Last edited:

N_Tesla

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 29, 2008
Parfum Sacre Vintage vs. current incarnation.

How different is the vintage from the current formulation of Caron Parfum Sacre and in what way is it different?

Last edited:
H

Hillaire

Re: Parfum Sacre Vintage vs. current incarnation.

I JUST saw this. I have two distinct vintages and once smelled the latest version, which comes in the white box.

The older of my vintages is a parfum in a gold, lyre-shaped little flagon. It's the most powdery and "rich" of the three; it also seems to deliver a sweeter "malt"-ness no other version I have tried has does. Finally it LACKS the tonic, cologney quality my vintage edt has, and it's not as blatantly peppery.

Parfum-Sacre_vignette_parfum_grande.jpg

The other vintage version I have is a 1 oz edt in one of the ubiquitous, unpretentious black-capped nineties Caron bottles; its onlydecoration a small black label with a golden lyre on it. This is my favorite version. It is cologney, very peppery, zesty and effervescent. What smells malty in the parfum, is like fermented hint of meal or grain in this formulation. It's quite masculine to my nose

NOCTURNES_D_CARON_W.jpg
This bottle-style...

The latest version is decidedly thin-smelling. Something about it strikes me false, as if it is "trying" to be symphonic -- like the revision-responsible perfumer substituted some pre-fab "sparkling" accord of aldehyde and rose for the missing darkness and depth imparted by it's original, unique notes. Moreover, its "bracing" effect is gone, and it is hence less "unisex". I cannot say it's unlikable, but in the face of the older versions, it's incredibly banal.

1034W.jpg

Last edited:

BayKAT

Feb 4, 2010
Resurrecting this... any one else have any comments on the parfum version, versus the EDP or EDT? Thanks!

BayKAT

Feb 4, 2010

Resurrecting this one too, although Hillaire lays it down. Just curious to see if anyone else has compared the various versions.

N_Tesla

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 29, 2008

How old is the "lyre shaped" bottle that is clear glass and is it vintage?

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News