Parfum Prissana discussion thread

Dr B1414

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 21, 2019
I grew up on a goat farm so I don’t really smell anything I’d associate with goats in Haxan. Not even in Aranyaka either which scares me because that’s all people talk about. I think my association with the way goats smell is just a tad bit too literal to pick up on it in fragrances. Even Sibet lacks any goat note for me but I can kind of see how it would be considered to have a goat musk accord.
I'm also quite familiar with the smell of goats and goat fur having spent a good part of my childhood in the countryside. I don't get the goat hair tincture in Haxan either, at all. In Aranyaka I do get it, but only in the dry down, and not really the actual goat smell but more of that creamy-milky quality that the ingredient has. I get it stronger in Aksum, it is quite puzzling and vivid there, and even more so in Homa. Maybe try Homa and see if you can smell the goat there:)). I'm pretty sure that Sibet never had any actual goat hair tincture in it, rather Josh attempted an accord based off various musks. I think Prin is the only one to have used actual goat hair tincture in his perfumes, or at least successfully use it. I also think that Abder Salaam offers goat hair tincture on it's own if you want to try that. I love the smell of it and I can't compare it to any other musky ingredient. To me, it does smell of goat's fur, and it has a creamy and milky quality to it. Very different from musk, civet, or castoreum. I'm really curious if one could tincture any type of animal fur and successfully extract the scent of it. I'd be curious to attempt with wild boar and other game. I find the smell of wild animal fur intoxicating and primal.

Bangkok Hound

User of Toilet Water
Basenotes Plus
Nov 4, 2015
Has anyone else tried Ahuizotl? Rajesh’s review has me convinced I’ll love it but Hednic wasn’t a fan. Really tough one to imagine without sampling

Don’t think Hednic has liked any Prin though?

Oh I didn’t realize, I only saw on the “what’s disappointed you recently” thread that he considered it a “confusing mess” which made me nervous lol

You do realize that Hednic basically only likes fragrances from houses he collects, right? With few exceptions, he just automatically craps on everything else. He's the absolute last person you should consider when determining whether you'd like a scent!

Jul 4, 2014
You do realize that Hednic basically only likes fragrances from houses he collects, right? With few exceptions, he just automatically craps on everything else. He's the absolute last person you should consider when determining whether you'd like a scent!
Damn, I’ve never realized that lol

I’ve never taken stock of his opinions or anything , I just searched Ahuizotl and his post was one of the few takes that came up. I’ll definitely keep that in mind when seeing him sh*t on things I like from here on out 😂

AZsmells

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 11, 2004
Has anyone else tried Ahuizotl? Rajesh’s review has me convinced I’ll love it but Hednic wasn’t a fan. Really tough one to imagine without sampling
I really like it. I've only tried it once so far but my initial impression was good. Starts off with a wet soil note, ambergris and a salty sea note that I am guessing is choya nakh. On the drydown I smell frankincense but it isn't listed in the notes. I didn't get a lot of the other notes listed but I think I need to spend more time with it. This is dark and mysterious. If you like Prin's dark fragrances you will enjoy it.

Greenzo

Jun 6, 2021
I tried it, and although I love and own much of Prin's work (Aranyaka, Thichila, and Oqachol are particular favourites) and I seem to enjoy his dark and also his green fragrances, sadly it wasn't for me. It is certainly dark, but ultimately the bitter/sour green herbalness and the marine saltiness were unpleasant and clashed, so I scrubbed it off. For me Oqachol is far superior for this price point. It has the ambergris, but also the osmanthus and the perfectly balanced smokiness along with the siberian musk, all of which work together harmoniously over the wear.

That said, do grab a sample of Ahuizotl, as it may be just what you are looking for but just my 2 cents. Still love Prin though, his work is always worth checking out.

Last edited:

Dr B1414

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 21, 2019
I tried it, and although I love and own much of Prin's work (Aranyaka, Thichila, and Oqachol are particular favourites) and I seem to enjoy his dark and also his green fragrances, sadly it wasn't for me. It is certainly dark, but ultimately the bitter/sour green herbalness and the marine saltiness was unpleasant and clashed, so I scrubbed it off. For me Oqachol is far superior for this price point. It has the ambergris, but also the osmanthus and the perfectly balanced smokiness along with the siberian musk, all of which work together harmoniously over the wear.

That said, do grab a sample of Ahuizotl, as it may be just what you are looking for but just my 2 cents. Still love Prin though, his work is always worth checking out.
I also have made a habit of trying out all his releases (except Strangers, didn't like any). But that doesn't mean I'll buy all of them. I think I only purchased 2 after Pryn. Nevertheless, I did enjoy all.

DavidSG

Basenotes Member
Oct 20, 2019
I also have made a habit of trying out all his releases (except Strangers, didn't like any). But that doesn't mean I'll buy all of them. I think I only purchased 2 after Pryn. Nevertheless, I did enjoy all.
I have noticed you added a bottle of Narasimha (Extrait) to your collection. May I ask, where do you got it?

Aug 26, 2022
Yeah he really loves every single Montale gourmand release. Like LOVES them. It makes sense why he wouldn’t enjoy Prin and that’s not a slight against Hednic either. I appreciate his thoughtful reviews but I’d be weary of basing my choices on wether or not he enjoys Prin’s slightly more raw and chaotic style. I personally love the chaos of Prin’s style. It’s the best chaos in the game.

Aug 26, 2022
I’m curious if the calone note will rub people the wrong way since the calone used in Haxan had folks calling it a cheap designer scent.

For those that have smelled Ahuizotl does the calone come across as strong as Haxan or is it more subdued? Is there any similarities to Hayra which was also a mythical amphibious creature scent?

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
I’m curious if the calone note will rub people the wrong way since the calone used in Haxan had folks calling it a cheap designer scent.

For those that have smelled Ahuizotl does the calone come across as strong as Haxan or is it more subdued? Is there any similarities to Hayra which was also a mythical amphibious creature scent?
for me with haxan something in it made my throat feel itchy rather then it smelling cheap :(

Shadowartisttxl

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 25, 2016

Not sure if it was the calone that bothered people - I just didn't find the composition to be particularly interesting.

Jul 4, 2014
Narasimha extrait is fantastic. It evolves more dramatically than other Prin fragrance, with a different note coming to the forefront every 30 minutes. It has so many facets, yet the whole remains balanced throughout. He should've made this mainline release.
You sold me , just ordered this one from Prin, absolutely ecstatic to try it.

Just as a heads up I think Prin only has one more bottle 👀

Jul 4, 2014
Narasimha extrait is fantastic. It evolves more dramatically than other Prin fragrance, with a different note coming to the forefront every 30 minutes. It has so many facets, yet the whole remains balanced throughout. He should've made this mainline release.
After trying I agree, so so good. Admittedly similar to Sohrab up top but better and different in the drydown settling into the oud. I love it.

Shadowartisttxl

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 25, 2016
I think Ahuizotl is actually something quite nice. Got 5ml from Strifeknot and it’s impressing me rather more than the recent batch of releases. Best since Onthamara Oqachol Rahassanai imho. Take from that what you will, considering my tastes.
Perfume General's Warning: Reading of this comment may lead to a compulsive blind buy. Read with caution.

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
I asked Prin a few days ago, no reply... Hopefully he's just busy pounding it out!

want-it-i-want-it.gif

Jul 4, 2014
I think Ahuizotl is actually something quite nice. Got 5ml from Strifeknot and it’s impressing me rather more than the recent batch of releases. Best since Onthamara Oqachol Rahassanai imho. Take from that what you will, considering my tastes.
I finally gave in and blind bought some Ahuizotl myself courtesy of SK, I trust your praise, Proust!

…And I finally caved and picked up a bottle of Ontha thanks to Fragnanimous’ Black Friday sale

The Prin addiction grows 🤦‍♂️

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Oh man, you didn’t freak out over it? Maybe I was overreacting but the way the top is green and fresh, leading into a salty ambergris/Immortelle base… I thought it was genius. It had aspects of Haxan but in a way that moved and felt really really good to me. But I also wonder if that’s just skin chemistry that made this one feel so head and shoulders above dunhuang and Nimitr and karuna and all those. Maybe it’s just because I’m in a green phase and also an ambergris phase so getting a scent that blends the two??? Just hitting my sweet spot.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...