Parfum Prissana discussion thread

LinePlaneVolume

Basenotes Junkie
May 31, 2020
This one is one of my favorites from Prin. I had to get a backup bottle of it.
I've enjoyed my sample of Haxan quite a lot. I'm trying to decide between it, Eshu, Mondarava, or Chetyre as my first proper Prin bottle (outside of Zoologist stuff). I definitely want to get Ocachol, but am more reluctant to throw down on that one @ 320 USD.

Too many compelling choices!

Rick94

Basenotes Member
May 19, 2017
Any recommendations for an everyday perfume from prin that would be safe around people at the office. The only prin I own is onthamara which I love, but I feel it’s rough on the people around me.

Nov 19, 2015
Any recommendations for an everyday perfume from prin that would be safe around people at the office. The only prin I own is onthamara which I love, but I feel it’s rough on the people around me.
There are so many to choose from. Just a few in no order:

Stranger Perfumerie
Yuzu Soda
Tom Yum
Summer Peaches
Iridescent Sky
Comme un Carrousel
Fleur De Lune
Eternal Summer
Salted Green Mango
+ more - the majority of the Strangers line in my opinion.

Parfum Prissana
Dunhuang
Mandarava

EDIT:
If you were referring to the PRIN line and not the perfumer then I don't think there are any real office friendly scents, maybe Mandodari.

Simonxyzz

Jul 1, 2012
There are so many to choose from. Just a few in no order:

Stranger Perfumerie
Yuzu Soda
Tom Yum
Summer Peaches
Iridescent Sky
Comme un Carrousel
Fleur De Lune
Eternal Summer
Salted Green Mango
+ more - the majority of the Strangers line in my opinion.

Parfum Prissana
Dunhuang
Mandarava

EDIT:
If you were referring to the PRIN line and not the perfumer then I don't think there are any real office friendly scents, maybe Mandodari.
I find Salted Green Mango to be pleasant enough for an office situation (best to sample before, nonetheless).

Last edited:

AZsmells

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 11, 2004
Arsalan today. This one is a bit challenging but amazing. Spices, oud, saffron, woods, cumin, musk, jasmine, and more. This smells like something Areej would make with a Prin twist. Very nice.

AOUD

Basenotes Member
Jun 2, 2019
Mandodari and Chetyre came in today. Chetyre on a t-shirt I have hanging is POTENT. It filled my bedroom and could be smelled at least 5-6 feet away for a good hour and a half. The scent from afar is really pleasing. I see the barbershop/dove soap comparisons and also the smoke/bbq I've read elsewhere. To me, it slightly reminds me of Bandit, although I think I prefer Bandit's further powderiness/shaving cream. I'm not sure I'm sold on Chetyre and need to try it on my skin but my feeling is that the cade comes through too much.

Mandodari on the other hand is hands down amazing. It's as good if not better than Mriga and is definitely sexier in a more narcotic/alluring way. The two are incomparable apart from the musk and generally speaking just how well crafted they are. The opening maybe is too floral and bombastic for me but once I got to the mid and dry down I was enraptured. I'd say Oqachol and Rahassanai are overall more exciting and vanguard and therefore pleasing to me, but Mandodari feels like something I could wear on a night out or even to work due to its utility that's nonetheless jaw dropping

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Mandodari and Chetyre came in today. Chetyre on a t-shirt I have hanging is POTENT. It filled my bedroom and could be smelled at least 5-6 feet away for a good hour and a half. The scent from afar is really pleasing. I see the barbershop/dove soap comparisons and also the smoke/bbq I've read elsewhere. To me, it slightly reminds me of Bandit, although I think I prefer Bandit's further powderiness/shaving cream. I'm not sure I'm sold on Chetyre and need to try it on my skin but my feeling is that the cade comes through too much.

Mandodari on the other hand is hands down amazing. It's as good if not better than Mriga and is definitely sexier in a more narcotic/alluring way. The two are incomparable apart from the musk and generally speaking just how well crafted they are. The opening maybe is too floral and bombastic for me but once I got to the mid and dry down I was enraptured. I'd say Oqachol and Rahassanai are overall more exciting and vanguard and therefore pleasing to me, but Mandodari feels like something I could wear on a night out or even to work due to its utility that's nonetheless jaw dropping
I basically agree with everything you just said. Mandodari is definitely my date night fragrance from Prin. My lady loves it. I love it.

And yes, Chetyre is a really cool perfume. But I think I prefer a Bandit over it and several other Russian leather type things if I’m being honest.

Jul 4, 2014
Testing Karuna today. It opened like those A&W rootbeer candy barrels but immediately took a sharp left into cuminy floral territory. Initially it feels like a mashup between Mandarava and Arsalan but there’s a lot here that feels new as well, specifically the florals and the very heavy aldehydes. Just now I’m reaching the base and there’s a ton of dry cold myrrh and with the cumin I’m almost getting slight Serge Noire territory but with a very strong yellow floral component and some major civet. I think I really like this one but It feels like it could be one of the more polarizing scents from Prissana, like Mohragot. I wish I got more than a one-time use sample, very interested to see what others think about it.

AOUD

Basenotes Member
Jun 2, 2019
^ I've got a sample of Limonsitano but haven't gotten around to smelling it. It might make it on a test strip, since I'm not really drawn to lemony/fresh or summery scents. I usually stick with taif roses in summer for the most part.

Wore Mandodari for a 2nd time today. A couple of odd impressions: The civet/cumin deep within remind me of Luten's Cuir Mauresque but with wilder florals and no syrupy leathers that the Lutens has. There's something about the opening too that feels lactonic and somewhat similar to Ajmal's Mukhallat al Shams. I'm also getting musky skank and powder similar to Luten's MKK. Overall, I'm even deeper in love. Associatively, Mandodari reminds me of someone whispering inches from my face, their eyes half shut, and who's had so much to drink that their breath smells ripe, almost on the verge of bilious.

Oh, and for some reason Mandodari is what I didn't know I was hoping for Amouage's Reflection Man to smell like, when I first smelled it not too long ago. Maybe it's the additional laundered element and sweetness that I sense?

JonoBorneo

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 30, 2019
Sampling Ayutthaya today. It has that familiar Civet/Aldehydic bite up-top that's in a few of Prin's line. Below that, a wonderful spiced, patchouli/incense accord going on. I'm not too far into the dry down for the sandalwood to have taken over, but I suspect its playing more of a rounding role than a front and center prominent one. As the dry down progresses, some sweet resins come to the front...overall its very nice, and definitely one of the better incense offerings from Prin. As far as the new releases, I'm still loving Dunhuang the most.

Jul 4, 2014
Tested out Sweet Farewell last night. It’s totally a full-on gourmand, very vanillic and coconut forward. Normally not my thing, but there’s a savory, toasty component which was triggering intense scent memories of Barnie’s Santa’s White Christmas coffee which I love lol. Crazy performance on this one too, I can still smell it radiating and it’s been >12 hrs. Makes me curious to try Chokedee with the similar note lists.

I wore Ayuthaya yesterday during the day and it was very nice, as mentioned above it has that aldehyde top that immediately made me think Nimitr but it went a more mentholated woody/patch direction which was a little more modern to my nose, less old school fougerey. Eventually it settled into some nice sandalwood that felt a little too indistinct for me to be in love. The ash reminded me of Sohrab a little as well, but Ayuthaya feels safer and less animalic.

I think Nimitr is one of his best and is a must try, Ayuthaya is nice but inessential imo.

toonces

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 1, 2020
Tested out Sweet Farewell last night. It’s totally a full-on gourmand, very vanillic and coconut forward. Normally not my thing, but there’s a savory, toasty component which was triggering intense scent memories of Barnie’s Santa’s White Christmas coffee…

I’m enjoying Sweet Farewell as well. Coconut and toasted sweet rice is how I’d describe it. I’m reminded of Auphorie’s Oud de Nyonya although Oud de Nyonya has more depth than Sweet Farewell.

lfc1892

Basenotes Junkie
Dec 12, 2021
Dunhuang is a good one. Starts out clean and herbal on me. This then slowly dissipates and morphs into something much more incense and floral. Very nice

Nimitr is nice, but, a little too alike to Mandodari for me which I already have so won’t be grabbing this.

AZsmells

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 11, 2004
Saringkarn today. This one is really good. The opening is amazing. This is reviewed as a rose-oud fragrance but it has a lot more going on that I am trying to figure out. Saffron, dark chocolate, prune, champaca are some other notes that stand out.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Saringkarn today. This one is really good. The opening is amazing. This is reviewed as a rose-oud fragrance but it has a lot more going on that I am trying to figure out. Saffron, dark chocolate, prune, champaca are some other notes that stand out.
Yeah I always viewed it as a rose Oud only in a very loose sense. it’s the rest of it that make it interesting.

lfc1892

Basenotes Junkie
Dec 12, 2021
Yeh I’d be surprised if Prin did a standard rose Oud combo.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Put in a big order for the new samples and I’m excited for that. Also finally received Aged Tea from Pan Seven, the Taiwanese perfume that won the Art & Olfaction award this year. Very nice. Lightly radiant and bright tea notes in every stage: top notes are oolong and grass and citrus, mids: black tea and black plum… base notes are woody but with a smoky “aged” tea note as the name implies. Really good stuff. Much more sheer than any tea notes I’ve smelled in Prin but maybe relevant to some of the people who explore Prin’s offerings. Thumbs up!

AZsmells

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 11, 2004
I'm wearing Sohrab today and this stuff is awesome. I received some Hindi oud oils today and accidentally layered one with Sohrab and it is even more awesome.
Also there is a bottle of Prin Aran for sale on Mercari. I am new to Mercari and I tried to buy something else from the seller last month and couldn't get my payment to work. I guess he thought I was a deadbeat customer and he blocked me so I can't buy it. Interestingly I found Bloom had one bottle of Aran in stock so I ordered from them. This is a blind buy but Aran sounds great.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
What’s funny is that from my sample vial it was pretty rose forward with a chocolate/saffron backdrop and then a musky, clean beeswax drydown. I got Covid once my decant arrived but now that my nose is back in working order I was surprised at how incensy this is. Very nice work and it’s one of my favorite Prin’s. It’s night and day from what I remember smelling the first time and I love it.

I need to let you try Aranyaka. I have 50ml’s and there’s no way I’ll go through this bottle in my lifetime.

AZsmells

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 11, 2004
What’s funny is that from my sample vial it was pretty rose forward with a chocolate/saffron backdrop and then a musky, clean beeswax drydown. I got Covid once my decant arrived but now that my nose is back in working order I was surprised at how incensy this is. Very nice work and it’s one of my favorite Prin’s. It’s night and day from what I remember smelling the first time and I love it.

I need to let you try Aranyaka. I have 50ml’s and there’s no way I’ll go through this bottle in my lifetime.
I got a 50 ml bottle of Aranyaka recently. I love it. I hear Aran is a lesser version of ir but still good.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Put in a big order for the new samples and I’m excited for that. Also finally received Aged Tea from Pan Seven, the Taiwanese perfume that won the Art & Olfaction award this year. Very nice. Lightly radiant and bright tea notes in every stage: top notes are oolong and grass and citrus, mids: black tea and black plum… base notes are woody but with a smoky “aged” tea note as the name implies. Really good stuff. Much more sheer than any tea notes I’ve smelled in Prin but maybe relevant to some of the people who explore Prin’s offerings. Thumbs up!
Yeh been wanting to look into this one and the one day offering.

I’d also recommend looking into Mayan choclate

Jul 4, 2014
Yeh been wanting to look into this one and the one day offering.

I’d also recommend looking into Mayan choclate
Really enjoying Mayan Chocolate, this years A&O winners were really solid imo. Sort of reminds me of the opening to old Ore slowly evolving into a green bell pepper thing.

Wearing Sohrab today and my girlfriend had a viscerally negative reaction to the opening, she swears it smells like morning breath lol. Guess this is a no-go for date night :LOL:. Funny because she normally doesn’t mind Prin’s animalics.

AOUD

Basenotes Member
Jun 2, 2019
Chetyre on skin is a different beast, though I wonder if it's projection far from the body is similarly smoky as I perceive it off a shirt, hanging in my room. The leather comes through and the deeper facets that are barbershop in spirit. Very deep into the dry down, Chetyre almost gets medicinal and rubbery, not unlike some Montale offerings/the oud in TF OUD WOOD. This stuff lasts forever and is the most nuclear of Prin, along with Anatolia Anatolia, although it's not as cloying as the latter, since there's no sweetness, even if it starts to drone a bit.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Chetyre on skin is a different beast, though I wonder if it's projection far from the body is similarly smoky as I perceive it off a shirt, hanging in my room. The leather comes through and the deeper facets that are barbershop in spirit. Very deep into the dry down, Chetyre almost gets medicinal and rubbery, not unlike some Montale offerings/the oud in TF OUD WOOD. This stuff lasts forever and is the most nuclear of Prin, along with Anatolia Anatolia, although it's not as cloying as the latter, since there's no sweetness, even if it starts to drone a bit.
Cheddar is definitely nuclear. I accidentally washed my 2.5ml spray decant and it broke open in the dryer. I had Covid at the time so I didn’t realize that my entire load of laundry smelled like Chetyre because to me it just smelled normal or like nothing. A few weeks later I realized some of my clothes smelled like Chetyre so I have a feeling I was walking around smelling like dove soap and leather for a while.

JonoBorneo

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 30, 2019
Cheddar is definitely nuclear.
depends on how aged it is, but 100% yes ;).

All kidding aside, that happened to me years ago with some zoologist sample, I can’t remember which, but my whole laundry load ended up smelling awful. Somehow the heat and water turned the fragrance into the most screechy, pervasive musk I’ve ever encountered.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
depends on how aged it is, but 100% yes ;).

All kidding aside, that happened to me years ago with some zoologist sample, I can’t remember which, but my whole laundry load ended up smelling awful. Somehow the heat and water turned the fragrance into the most screechy, pervasive musk I’ve ever encountered.
Happened to me with Moth which I loved up til then and now have ptsd with.

Jul 4, 2014
my whole laundry load ended up smelling awful. Somehow the heat and water turned the fragrance into the most screechy, pervasive musk I’ve ever encountered.
oh man, I had this happen with an Orto Parisi sample..I think it was Boccanera. It was unbearable and I swear some of the shirts still have a hint of it.

Trying Lava Rose today, it’s so good. It’s synthy and a touch screechy, but it’s like an avant garde take on a rose/oud that leans into the weird burning plastic facet of some synth oud accords in an almost CDGish way. It’s up there with SP and BB for best of the Strangers line imo, I think I prefer it to Saringkarn and Vollee as well lol.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Wearing Nimitr today. So it reminds me of a fougere version of Mandodari… anyone else get that at all or am I still covid nosed? It’s not like “oh this is just Mandodari” but there is overlap, right?

Edit to say: oh man this is good, huh? I wonder if it’s just the aldehydes being repeated or if there’s other similar notes… tobacco incense maybe… yum.

lfc1892

Basenotes Junkie
Dec 12, 2021
Wearing Nimitr today. So it reminds me of a fougere version of Mandodari… anyone else get that at all or am I still covid nosed? It’s not like “oh this is just Mandodari” but there is overlap, right?

Edit to say: oh man this is good, huh? I wonder if it’s just the aldehydes being repeated or if there’s other similar notes… tobacco incense maybe… yum.
I get a large overlap too, which is why it’ll be a sample only for me. Dunhuang is a different beast altogether though, which I need some time with .

Latest News