Parfum Prissana discussion thread

Dr B1414

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 21, 2019
For those of you that are familiar with Turkish Leather, how different do you find Anatolia to be? I'm asking because I've heard many people complaining that Anatolia is too sweet and linear. Because to me, Turkish Leather has a minimum amount of sweetness, it's very, very boozy, with a strong Raki accord, very spicy, and it ends up with this leathery Laotian Oud. Not really sweet, smells like a drunk person, and it changes a lot. This one took the most time in order to grow on me, mainly because of how strong and pungent that Raki accord is. I'm very familiar with the smell of that drink as well as the smell of the people that overindulge in it:))).

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Wow Covid really changed my nose. Saringkarn was the last fragrance I wore before I lost my sense of smell. There’s these acacia trees in my neighborhood with this very subtle sweet perfumey smell that I use to gauge where my nose is at. On good days my whole street smells like this warm, sweet ambery yellow aroma. Well I could finally smell them again so I pulled out my decant if Saringkarn I ordered right before Covid.

So far I’ve only tried S-Karn from my sample vial which was basically a warm, cinnamon spiced chocolate rose scent that’s almost gourmand with a slightly animalic beeswax and musky drydown. Very chill overall but rose heavy.

Fast forward to my first time spraying it and this is basically pure incense. It’s like chocolate tinted incense. Dr. B said it best when he described it as nag champa. I’d say the drydown is almost like Song of India’s “temple incense” but the opening is like Nag champa.

I don’t smell the rose anymore and this is weirdly challenging in a way I don’t remember it being. Like there’s an slightly urinous/musky quality in the heart and drydown and really the whole scent is just full on incense.

I’m not complaining though I love it but it’s almost a completely different experience from my sample. I wonder if Prin has batch variations or if my nose really is that different now.

AZsmells

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 11, 2004
I received Dunhuang and Karuna bottles yesterday. Trying Karuna out. This one is a shapeshifter but is really nice. Starts out with a hint of citrus and some florals with a hint of spice. The frankincense is evident later along with orange blossom. I don't get the civet or sandalwood. The cumin is subtle but present. As with most of Prin's work the blending is great and some of the individual notes are hard to pick out. Well blended. I am pretty new to Prin and still going through a lot of my purchases so not sure if this compares to anything else he has made.
So far a thumbs up on this. Wil try Duhuang tomorrow.

Jul 4, 2014
Wearing Burning Ben today. I wore it a few years back on a great trip to Savannah GA with my girlfriend and at the time really liked it but found it non essential and a little too synthy.

Now it’s like I’m immediately transported back to that trip lol. It doesn’t even matter to me that it’s mostly due to the association, I think I love it now. Such an uncommon experience for me when a scent is elevated due to past positive associations (unfortunately it’s usually the inverse, great scents ruined by bad experiences/associations lol). Then some scents I appreciate from a craft angle but that are somehow impersonal and I struggle to associate them with any emotional experiences at all…Prin never falls into the latter category imo.

The depth of the coffee and the intensity of the smoke really makes it a distinct one, and it feels pretty challenging for the strangers line/price point, in a good way! I’m not a coffee-in-scents fan due to the usual diabetic showings in gourmands, but here it’s like deep rich Italian espresso, almost nutty. Paired with the sort of old-smoking-lounge tobacco. Definitely synthetic but no more so than Haxan or Anatolia imo. Any other BB fans?

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Burning Ben is really nice. One of my favorite from the Stranger's Line.
Dunhuang yesterday was really nice. Tea, florals, fruits, and spice.
Nimitr today and wow this one is really nice. I am still trying to figure out the notes but just a very nice leathery opening.
Mmm dunhuang sounds really nice. Ordered Aged Tea from pan seven who just won the art & olfaction award. Been really feeling really scents lately. Is this one mild, intense, bitter, sweet?

JonoBorneo

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 30, 2019
Mmm dunhuang sounds really nice. Ordered Aged Tea from pan seven who just won the art & olfaction award. Been really feeling really scents lately. Is this one mild, intense, bitter, sweet?
I’d call it fruity but not sweet if that makes sense. I really liked it a lot. Debating selling some things to pick up a bottle. Maybe a decant.

AZsmells

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 11, 2004
The tea is mild, slightly smoky but mostly floral. I actually wish the tea note was stronger. There is a bitter note in it but I don't know if its the tea or something else. I'm not big on florals but this one is really good.
Nimitr is just amazing on me today on a cloudy rainy day.

heavy black heart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 20, 2022
fell for Mandodari & pulled the trigger on a bottle - such a unique scent!!

like I can tell it’s floral without it smelling like florals smell but at the same time I know it is a floral does that make any sense I don’t know!

also tried Nocturnal Poetry & wow this one is dirty dirty dirty smells like horse’s ass but I think it’s quite beautiful and dare I say sexy???? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
fell for Mandodari & pulled the trigger on a bottle - such a unique scent!!

like I can tell it’s floral without it smelling like florals smell but at the same time I know it is a floral does that make any sense I don’t know!

also tried Nocturnal Poetry & wow this one is dirty dirty dirty smells like horse’s ass but I think it’s quite beautiful and dare I say sexy???? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN

Yes Nocturnal Poetry is one of my favorites because it is VERY animalic and VERY good. It has tons of hyrax that really is quite apparent. Love it.

In Amber

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 12, 2019
The main one is called Thursday but also No Devotion, United Nations, and for a time Ink & Dagger.
that's cool . I used to promote shows and put on a show with your band quite a few years ago , it was a package with yourselves and The Movie Life and I think there might have been another band but I can't recall . it was at The Sallis Benney Theatre in Brighton UK . I used to put on a lot of US bands from the alt/ hardcore genre . I am now in management rather than promoting but some good memories and some great bands

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
that's cool . I used to promote shows and put on a show with your band quite a few years ago , it was a package with yourselves and The Movie Life and I think there might have been another band but I can't recall . it was at The Sallis Benney Theatre in Brighton UK . I used to put on a lot of US bands from the alt/ hardcore genre . I am now in management rather than promoting but some good memories and some great bands
Our first Uk tour back in 2001 I think?

Also everyone here is very sweet. Ty ty

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
that sounds awesome, actually
It is hahah! It’s one of my favorite fragrances. The calone and ambroxan freaks people out in here though and they all think it’s a designer scent which is why my post was poking fun at that 🤣

But if you haven’t tried Haxan imagine a neoclassical fougere done Prin style with an incredible lavendar and chamomile opening with aquatic petrichor and fiery incense. There’s a touch of calone that brings this watery vibe to a super mossy, earthy, musky goat hair note. It’s very clean though. Like clean dirt. Then it’s all witchy herbs like rosemary and sage with peppery incense and woods. Easily one of the best things I own.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
This one is one of my favorites from Prin. I had to get a backup bottle of it.
it’s such an easy going but complex scent. I rarely think about my confidence when I wear perfumes because most of the time I know what I’m wearing smells like shit to the average person but it’s nice with Haxan knowing that folks will give me compliments and I won’t scare away babies.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
To me Haxan =Shiseido Zen(at least the bottle i had many years ago when i first got interested in fragrances)

Latest News