Parfum Prissana discussion thread

Dr B1414

Oct 21, 2019
Just cracking into my new full bottle of Mandodari and it’s very different than my sample from the initial release of the line. Much more floral/aldehyde forward without the odd animal coffee/smoky undertone. Has anyone else noticed any differences between the thin label original release of Mando and the current large labeled one with the notes on it?
Didn't know that Mandodari was issued in two different presentations. I do, however, find it as you said, a bit more floral-aldehydic than the previous version of it, Morah, which has more stuff going on like the coffee, animalics, and more opium as well.

TNBLUEMIKE

Basenotes Institution
Oct 1, 2013
I wore Rahassanai last night, which is my personal favorite out of the new trio.
In the deep drydown it reminds me of another scent which I hold high, Bortnikoffs Musk Khabib.
I do get a little of Musk Khabib but I find Rahassanai more complex and enduring for me. In fact dare I say this has been my personal favorite of the new releases I have had to opportunity to enjoy this year and perhaps last and that is high acclaim as I have really enjoyed some Agar Aura's, Ensar's, D&Z, TRNP and Xerjoff's through that journey.

Tilt

Aug 9, 2019
I finally got hold of my samples and can confirm all the praise given to these 3 perfumes above.
I've worn each of them once for a whole day. Oqachol was my favourite and I've just ordered a bottle on back order from Bloom. Rahassanai was superb too despite the first half hour not being massively to my taste, but I can't be ordering two bottles! Onthamara is on my arm as I write and it's giving me strong Bois d'Ascese vibes as someone mentioned above, but far more complex and interesting.
This is the most excited I've been by new fragrances for a long time.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Geez every single time I wear Onthamara I like it more. Wore it to a shoot today and everyone was asking me what I was wearing. It was REALLY hot under the lights so I guess the perfume was kicking out hotter than usual. But even our manager asked if he could get a spray and said he prefers “earthy” scents to the “sweet crap everyone wears” which I thought was pretty funny.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Geez every single time I wear Onthamara I like it more. Wore it to a shoot today and everyone was asking me what I was wearing. It was REALLY hot under the lights so I guess the perfume was kicking out hotter than usual. But even our manager asked if he could get a spray and said he prefers “earthy” scents to the “sweet crap everyone wears” which I thought was pretty funny.
that manger has good taste

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
3:
1 inside each elbow. 1 on chest under the shirt. From a full bottle atomizer.
That's how i would usually apply most my perfume as well, or one to two sprays to the chest under a shirt, with a few exceptions where i could only do 1 spray to my arm or risk going nose blind.

Been trying the Arsalan samples a few times now, absolutely love the Ouds from this one, went and pre-order full bottle from Luckyscent, hard to beat the price, especially after 10% discount. This is going to be my 3rd FB from PRIN, still love the Onthamara and Mriga.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Something I don't normally do but I am so infatuated with Rahassanai that I order a second bottle from Bloom and added Haxan to boot. Prin could revitalize this limited edition in the future but I couldn't take the chance. Such a calming and reflective experience for me that puts a big smile on my face on each wear.
I think fragsyndrome is selling his Haxan for cheap, he just got his a day or two ago.

TNBLUEMIKE

Basenotes Institution
Oct 1, 2013
I think fragsyndrome is selling his Haxan for cheap, he just got his a day or two ago.
I missed that. It is a polarizing scent to be sure. Still I got a five percent deal plus saved the VAT with no shipping charges it came out to $116.00 for Haxan so I feel ok with that. Thanks for the info X. I try to stay in house if I can with splits and what not.

Sipy63

Jan 23, 2019
I missed that. It is a polarizing scent to be sure. Still I got a five percent deal plus saved the VAT with no shipping charges it came out to $116.00 for Haxan so I feel ok with that. Thanks for the info X. I try to stay in house if I can with splits and what not.

What's the current 5% code?

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Something I don't normally do but I am so infatuated with Rahassanai that I order a second bottle from Bloom and added Haxan to boot. Prin could revitalize this limited edition in the future but I couldn't take the chance. Such a calming and reflective experience for me that puts a big smile on my face on each wear.
The drydown of Rahassani is pretty incredible. Like the far drydown where you get the sweet, creamy and somewhat oily aspects of the skunk. It almost smells like ambergris mixed with a touch of oud. It’s just awesome.

Funny i just bought Fragsyndromes Haxan.

Theholyfilament

Jul 4, 2014
Just stopping in to profess my devotion to Rahassanai. Every time I’ve worn it it’s been a different experience, today the lavender is really coming through and it’s something else. It’s in my top 3 favorite Prins for sure.

Oqachol has actually lost some appeal to me, I wore it to bed the other night and it just felt too fruity and bright. I’m wondering if it’s the osmanthus. I almost got a passion fruit vibe from it strangely.

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
Just stopping in to profess my devotion to Rahassanai. Every time I’ve worn it it’s been a different experience, today the lavender is really coming through and it’s something else. It’s in my top 3 favorite Prins for sure.

Oqachol has actually lost some appeal to me, I wore it to bed the other night and it just felt too fruity and bright. I’m wondering if it’s the osmanthus. I almost got a passion fruit vibe from it strangely.
Oqachol has actually started doing that for me now too unfortunately! I keep wondering why I smell so much tart fruit. I’ve now used up all my samples from these latest 3, and for whatever reason, I’m more confused than ever. I’m starting to think there’s something in the Prin dna that doesn’t work for me…..at least when it comes to spending on FBs.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019

My thought is that Oqachol needs to be on a warm sunny day(for my taste). That’s when I get the perfect Osmanthus/ambergris combo. On dark rainy days it can tip into too smoky for me and also weirdly a sour fruit vibe that I only get maybe 1/5 times. I’ve actually come to like the borderline pissy top notes when they show up.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
My thought is that Oqachol needs to be on a warm sunny day(for my taste). That’s when I get the perfect Osmanthus/ambergris combo. On dark rainy days it can tip into too smoky for me and also weirdly a sour fruit vibe that I only get maybe 1/5 times. I’ve actually come to like the borderline pissy top notes when they show up.
I wish I got the fruits. I realized that my skin hates Oqachol and all I get now is this intense soapy musk note. That’s it. It’s pure soapy musk until it dries down and then it’s ambergris. On clothing though it’s literally pure perfection. Kinda bummed I don’t get the same results.

TNBLUEMIKE

Basenotes Institution
Oct 1, 2013

Awesome isn't it. A kaleidoscope in one bottle. Always intrigued to see what is next when I reach for it with it's cornucopia of ingredients.

Oqachol is still a solid runner up for me I actually enjoy it's fruity excursion not excessively overdone just right to smooth the edges.

TNBLUEMIKE

Basenotes Institution
Oct 1, 2013
The drydown of Rahassani is pretty incredible. Like the far drydown where you get the sweet, creamy and somewhat oily aspects of the skunk. It almost smells like ambergris mixed with a touch of oud. It’s just awesome.

Funny i just bought Fragsyndromes Haxan.
No problem on Haxan. I hope you like it. I had a small sample a long time ago ordering directly from Prin and it was always a outlier to come back to and purchase as you could say the World had gone wild with so many choices from multiple houses inundating my inbox. But to save on shipping from Bloom it just felt right for the price hopefully you feel the same.

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
I wish I got the fruits. I realized that my skin hates Oqachol and all I get now is this intense soapy musk note. That’s it. It’s pure soapy musk until it dries down and then it’s ambergris. On clothing though it’s literally pure perfection. Kinda bummed I don’t get the same results.
You’re getting the results that I’d hoped for! Lol. Wanted some smoky aspects too, but alas, I got none of that……mostly just the tart fruity notes.

lfc1892

Dec 12, 2021
Mandodari. almost fizzes itself out of the bottle. Effervescent, sweet, fruity, floral and spicy. Gorgeous, although I’ll have to try a sample to see how it wears for a day. May get tiring if it doesn’t soften and settle

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
I’m finally getting to wear Haxan from a full bottle. Spraying this verse swiping a sample is a totally different experience. I can’t believe how three dimensional the herbal floral elements are in the opening. It’s just simply incredible the complexity here. I really feel like this is one of Prin’s best creations. The chamomile and lavender are much more prominent as well.

To my nose this smells almost fully natural with the exception of a well blended ambroxan note with maybe a touch of calone. If there was to ever be an ambroxan scent to have in your collection make sure it’s Haxan as it’s mixed with goat hair and oak moss.

The earthiness is so much more present in the full bottle verse the sample. I was pretty blown away with how the petrichor presents itself as if it’s freshly tilled soil filled with wet leaves. It’s lucid and ethereal. Deep green moss and spices just explode through dark woody cedar wafts of incense.

I dunno man this is just everything I want in a fragrance. It’s versatile, somewhat friendly, smells modern but has enough naturals and originality to keep me interested. The performance is stupid good too. I wasn’t ready for how strong two sprays was going to be. It’s pretty nuclear. Obnoxiously strong.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
I’ve really been trying to avoid posting negative feedback but I think the overwhelming positive reviews of Haxan call for a counter balance.

I would highly urge anyone considering Haxan to try a sample first, do not blind buy this stuff! It just smells like cheap synthetic designer perfume; I found it totally revolting. I got a LS sample vial along with that FB I bought so I after I sold the FB, I brought the sample over to a friends place (along with other Prin samples). My friend is a collector of natural fragrances, attars, and ouds and a natural perfumer; he got his nose on Haxan and was revolted by how synthetic it was, commenting that it smelled like “mall perfume”. He loved Rahassanai, Oqachol, Onthamara, Varuek, and was intrigued by Anatolia Anatolia, found Ma Nishtana a bit off putting and synthetic but Haxan is in a whole new category of cloying synthetic mall perfume.

So, you’ve been warned. If you’re into natural fragrances and find mainstream synthetics to be off putting the do not blind buy Haxan. Sample it first.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
I’ve really been trying to avoid posting negative feedback but I think the overwhelming positive reviews of Haxan call for a counter balance.

I would highly urge anyone considering Haxan to try a sample first, do not blind buy this stuff! It just smells like cheap synthetic designer perfume; I found it totally revolting. I got a LS sample vial along with that FB I bought so I after I sold the FB, I brought the sample over to a friends place (along with other Prin samples). My friend is a collector of natural fragrances, attars, and ouds and a natural perfumer; he got his nose on Haxan and was revolted by how synthetic it was, commenting that it smelled like “mall perfume”. He loved Rahassanai, Oqachol, Onthamara, Varuek, and was intrigued by Anatolia Anatolia, found Ma Nishtana a bit off putting and synthetic but Haxan is in a whole new category of cloying synthetic mall perfume.

So, you’ve been warned. If you’re into natural fragrances and find mainstream synthetics to be off putting the do not blind buy Haxan. Sample it first.
I told you

Theholyfilament

Jul 4, 2014
I absolutely echo the sentiment that there’s something synthetic and designerish about Haxans base but it doesn’t bother me. In fact I think that’s why it reads as so accessible and why it seems to be a compliment puller, it hits the sweet spot between creativity and accessibility for me personally, but definitely wise advice to sample all Prins first imo. When I first tried it I remember thinking the drydown reminded me of Leau D’issey Intense lol.

That being said I’ve never liked Ma Nishatana and find it overly synthetic and droning. Whatever the chem that’s in a lot of olibanum scents is absolutely destroys my brain. Worst of all is Masque Mandala x.x

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
T

Thankfully the majority of Prin’s fanbase is well aware of his use of synthetics and his ability to create mainstream scents with artistic and left field sensibilities. I don’t think every perfume house that gets hype in the artisanal community needs to be judged on the basis of creating entirely natural smelling perfumes or else they should smell cheap. I mean it’s one thing to say you don’t like his use of ambroxan but it’s kind of throwing the baby out with the bath water if you don’t follow the journey of the fragrance itself. There is absolutely an incredible use of lavender and oakmoss here which compliments excellent natural materials to create a completely off the wall fougere scent. I would hope that anyone that read my review would understand what ambroxan smells like and even calone and if that material is something which they find revolting they should probably steer clear of it.

I don’t find anything wrong with a perfumer exploring all possibilities of perfumery and Prin is one of the few who can do that. I think that’s his entire appeal. It’s cool to see more of the crossover happening with the Ensar/ALD crowd but I will always stand by Haxan being an excellent form of perfumery showcasing incredible blending and a deft use of ambroxan. A material which can easily ruin a scent in my opinion. Here he nailed it.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
T

Thankfully the majority of Prin’s fanbase is well aware of his use of synthetics and his ability to create mainstream scents with artistic and left field sensibilities. I don’t think every perfume house that gets hype in the artisanal community needs to be judged on the basis of creating entirely natural smelling perfumes or else they should smell cheap. I mean it’s one thing to say you don’t like his use of ambroxan but it’s kind of throwing the baby out with the bath water if you don’t follow the journey of the fragrance itself. There is absolutely an incredible use of lavender and oakmoss here which compliments excellent natural materials to create a completely off the wall fougere scent. I would hope that anyone that read my review would understand what ambroxan smells like and even calone and if that material is something which they find revolting they should probably steer clear of it.

I don’t find anything wrong with a perfumer exploring all possibilities of perfumery and Prin is one of the few who can do that. I think that’s his entire appeal. It’s cool to see more of the crossover happening with the Ensar/ALD crowd but I will always stand by Haxan being an excellent form of perfumery showcasing incredible blending and a deft use of ambroxan. A material which can easily ruin a scent in my opinion. Here he nailed it.
I also think a lot of us have different levels of sensitivity to things like Ambroxan, Exaltolide and Norlimbanol. So for the person who has a similar sensitivity to the material as Prin, Haxan will probably read more as complex than one-note-synth… people who are extremely sensitive to ambroxan will wonder what Prin’s smoking. I’ve had the benefit of talking to a few perfumers who’ve confirmed my suspicions that I’m not smelling the whole picture when those particular chems are involved. I LIKE synthetics but there are a couple that completely blow me out so I can’t even tell what the perfume is supposed to smell like.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
I also think a lot of us have different levels of sensitivity to things like Ambroxan, Exaltolide and Norlimbanol. So for the person who has a similar sensitivity to the material as Prin, Haxan will probably read more as complex than one-note-synth… people who are extremely sensitive to ambroxan will wonder what Prin’s smoking. I’ve had the benefit of talking to a few perfumers who’ve confirmed my suspicions that I’m not smelling the whole picture when those particular chems are involved. I LIKE synthetics but there are a couple that completely blow me out so I can’t even tell what the perfume is supposed to smell like.
I like the way ambroxan smells so for me it’s a complementary note which melds perfectly with the chamomile and lavendar to create a sort of aquatic swampy floral vibe that feels so incredibly smooth and earthy. The lavender accord is one of my favorites in perfumery and it’s right up there with Eiderantler in my opinion. In fact this feels like the ancient swamp grandpa to Eiderantler whose been sleeping in a hollowed out tree for decades.

I guess to my nose there’s so much happening it feels unbelievable to have it reduced down in such a way that it could be called a cheap designer. If there’s cheaper fragrances that do what this does I absolutely want those in my collection hahah.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
Sorry CS but I literally can’t get past the synthetics in Haxan to appreciate the art in it. I believe your opinion on it 100% and I know a lot of people love this fragrance but to me, it just smells like a hodgepodge of designer synthetics.

I know first hand how talented and creative Prin is; I love his latest creations and think he did an outstanding job with Mriga. I'm sure there's many more gems that I haven’t tried yet. I'm not knocking Prin as a perfumer, just reporting in with both my opinion and my friend's opinion of this popular fragrance and cautioning other natural perfume snobs to sample this one before buying it.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
I like the way ambroxan smells so for me it’s a complementary note which melds perfectly with the chamomile and lavendar to create a sort of aquatic swampy floral vibe that feels so incredibly smooth and earthy. The lavender accord is one of my favorites in perfumery and it’s right up there with Eiderantler in my opinion. In fact this feels like the ancient swamp grandpa to Eiderantler whose been sleeping in a hollowed out tree for decades.

I guess to my nose there’s so much happening it feels unbelievable to have it reduced down in such a way that it could be called a cheap designer. If there’s cheaper fragrances that do what this does I absolutely want those in my collection hahah.
I wish I could smell the lavender. For me it’s all ambroxan and petrichor. But that’s what ambroxan does to me, just swamps me with one note. I don’t hate it… just smells exactly the same in everything from drugstore cheapies to Sephora testers to roja dove luxury scents. I can never smell what else is supposed to be going on. And honestly, in this case, I’m super jealous. A lot of people I really respect love this one and their descriptions make me think this would 100% be my jam(I’ve got a bottle and I keep trying!).

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Sorry CS but I literally can’t get past the synthetics in Haxan to appreciate the art in it. I believe your opinion on it 100% and I know a lot of people love this fragrance but to me, it just smells like a hodgepodge of designer synthetics.

I know first hand how talented and creative Prin is; I love his latest creations and think he did an outstanding job with Mriga. I'm sure there's many more gems that I haven’t tried yet. I'm not knocking Prin as a perfumer, just reporting in with both my opinion and my friend's opinion of this popular fragrance and cautioning other natural perfume snobs to sample this one before buying it.
It’s okay. You don’t like Slumberhouse either but we can still be friends 😂😂😂

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
I wish I could smell the lavender. For me it’s all ambroxan and petrichor. But that’s what ambroxan does to me, just swamps me with one note. I don’t hate it… just smells exactly the same in everything from drugstore cheapies to Sephora testers to roja dove luxury scents. I can never smell what else is supposed to be going on. And honestly, in this case, I’m super jealous. A lot of people I really respect love this one and their descriptions make me think this would 100% be my jam(I’ve got a bottle and I keep trying!).
Knowing your tastes I would’ve assumed you’d like this one BUT my sample is waaaaay toned down on the ambroxan compared to the full bottle so I have a feeling in time that note will mellow out.

But to speak on your point here I used to have this intense visceral reaction to Cigar Rum because all I could smell was this weird cloying synthetic/generic ashy shampoo note and nothing else. After a few months I can smell tobacco, raisins, dried fruits and an actual gorgeous rum note. Funny how that works.

Latest News