Parfum Prissana discussion thread

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Geez, even if they were smelling it from that distance, I can’t for the life of me imagine what they thought was unpleasant about Oqachol??? Maybe Onth or Rah, lol
I struggle with Oqachal as well. It’s pretty intense and not something I feel entirely confident wearing in public so I’d imagine a soccer mom would be pretty put off by deer musk, ambergris, Thai Oud, and bonfires hahah!

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
I had a woman at the playground I took my son to complain about Oqachol from quite the distance away.

Another person put their mask up walking towards me on the sidewalk and made one of those “something stinks” gestures and they were about 15 feet away. They were not happy at all.

Oqachol is deceptively strong but my nose is much more sensitive than a lot of folks on here and I never wear more than one spray of any perfume ever. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

My son had a sneezing fit from the other room when I sprayed Oqachol as well.
I’ll try wearing it outside and see how that goes.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I struggle with Oqachal as well. It’s pretty intense and not something I feel entirely confident wearing in public so I’d imagine a soccer mom would be pretty put off by deer musk, ambergris, Thai Oud, and bonfires hahah!
Probably would take something like the Nocturnal Poetry to get a thumb up from the soccer mom?! :LOL:

BKKNah

Aug 4, 2021
From FB group :

New release from Strangers and Prissana

Release date should be around July - August

There are 3 from Strangers and 3 from Prissana ( Nimitr not included)

Strangers : Sweet farewell

Base on Thai's dessert called "Kanom Jaak" made from rice powder , palm sugar , coconut milk ,coconut flakes and pandan leaf. Grilled on Nipa palm leave.

Kanom means dessert in Thai

Jaak means Nipa palm also synonym for goodbye or farewell.

Notes:

Coconut milk

Nipa palm leaves

Vanilla

Palm sugar

Cedar

Rice powder

Sandalwood

Musk

Pandan Leaves

Tonka bean

Cashmeran

Ebony

Prissana : Dunhuang

Base on the Silk Road , an ancient trade route that connected the Western with the Middle East and Asia.
Dunhuang is the first trading town reached by foreign mechants located in oasis of Gansu-Xinjiang desert region.

This is re-formulated version from my previous discontued brand. It's not really identical. For me this version is way much better.

Notes

Jasmin Tea

Mandarin

Tangerine

Plum

Jasmine Absolute

Magnolia

Lapsang Souchong

Osmanthus Absolute

Incense

Rose

Angelica

Anise oil

Caraway

Ginger

Black Pepper

Cinnamon

Clove bud

Cumin seed

Costus

Cedar

Sandalwood

Moss

Civet

Patchouli

Amber

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
From FB group :

New release from Strangers and Prissana

Release date should be around July - August

There are 3 from Strangers and 3 from Prissana ( Nimitr not included)

Strangers : Sweet farewell

Base on Thai's dessert called "Kanom Jaak" made from rice powder , palm sugar , coconut milk ,coconut flakes and pandan leaf. Grilled on Nipa palm leave.

Kanom means dessert in Thai

Jaak means Nipa palm also synonym for goodbye or farewell.

Notes:

Coconut milk

Nipa palm leaves

Vanilla

Palm sugar

Cedar

Rice powder

Sandalwood

Musk

Pandan Leaves

Tonka bean

Cashmeran

Ebony

Prissana : Dunhuang

Base on the Silk Road , an ancient trade route that connected the Western with the Middle East and Asia.
Dunhuang is the first trading town reached by foreign mechants located in oasis of Gansu-Xinjiang desert region.

This is re-formulated version from my previous discontued brand. It's not really identical. For me this version is way much better.

Notes

Jasmin Tea

Mandarin

Tangerine

Plum

Jasmine Absolute

Magnolia

Lapsang Souchong

Osmanthus Absolute

Incense

Rose

Angelica

Anise oil

Caraway

Ginger

Black Pepper

Cinnamon

Clove bud

Cumin seed

Costus

Cedar

Sandalwood

Moss

Civet

Patchouli

Amber
Thank you. What is the original name for the Prissana one that is upcoming?

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Wearing the Homas tonight, 6 tiny sprays from the little sample, probably equivalent to 2~3 sprays from full bottle. Man, it's very dense projection, didn't go nose blind to it at all, but it's chokingly thick and dense scent cloud. There's something very persistent and synthetic accord that is giving me a headache, have a very strong Parfum de Marley vibe, the chemical concoction type deal, came off heavy in a combination of incense, soap bar, spices, and resins. Probably would end up skipping this one, it's on backorder anyway.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Rahassani is a strange one. It leaked in the package and from the package I could smell the skunk. It had a strong rubbery, permanent marker smell. On skin however I don’t smell it all. Instead I get a spicy, Smokey incense fragrance with a strong Oud presence. Like the Oud is front and center.

I get a slightly fizzy aldehydic floral opening as well but the florals are deep, dark and brooding. This is very similar to Onthamara but with less ambery sweetness and a stronger incense presence.

Rahassani is my favorite out of three. I don’t get any of the camphor vibes or medicated balm notes. Overall it’s slightly less challenging than Onthamara and not as soapy on my skin as Oqachol.

Rahassani is a sleeper and if you can get over the mental aspect of the skunk it’s actually rather enjoyable. Like really enjoyable. The blending here is just insane and the Oud is so smoothly accentuated that the overall accord is just velvety and regal almost.

If you’re a fan of Prin’s incense offerings this to me is the pinnacle of that vibe. If this is what your grandparents smelled like you must be extremely lucky grandchildren because it’s such a beautiful aroma.

I get a lot of dried fruit with this one as well. I’m guessing that’s from the Thai Oud. This is worth picking up for the Oud alone.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
If you’re a fan of Prin’s incense offerings this to me is the pinnacle of that vibe. If this is what your grandparents smelled like you must be extremely lucky grandchildren because it’s such a beautiful aroma.
probably why this one clicks so much with me, the first bit not the grand parents bit LOL

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
Does anyone have a working coupon for Bloom or expect them to have a sale soon? I'm trying to score a deal on a Onthamara backup.

luckyopium

Aug 14, 2021
When I saw comparisons between Notes from Underground and Onthamara, I had to try the latter. After trying the sample, I was glad that I didn't blind buy a bottle. This is in no way a cheaper alternative to NfU. There may be a superficial resemblance with the rough tobacco and spicy notes in the opening of NfU. But the resemblance stops there as NfU blooms into an iris oud perfume with never ending depth and fractal complexity, while Onthamara continues with this very familiar incensy tar thing from other Prin perfumes. No doubt a great perfume and value, but doesn't come close to competing with NfU, unless all NfU is to you is the immediate opening.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
When I saw comparisons between Notes from Underground and Onthamara, I had to try the latter. After trying the sample, I was glad that I didn't blind buy a bottle. This is in no way a cheaper alternative to NfU. There may be a superficial resemblance with the rough tobacco and spicy notes in the opening of NfU. But the resemblance stops there as NfU blooms into an iris oud perfume with never ending depth and fractal complexity, while Onthamara continues with this very familiar incensy tar thing from other Prin perfumes. No doubt a great perfume and value, but doesn't come close to competing with NfU, unless all NfU is to you is the immediate opening.
i bought and sold a 10ml partial of NFU PP at a loss. I’d much rather have a bottle of Onthamara on scent alone. Bring price into the equation and it’s a bargain.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
i bought and sold a 10ml partial of NFU PP at a loss. I’d much rather have a bottle of Onthamara on scent alone. Bring price into the equation and it’s a bargain.
Agreed. I find it much nicer than NFU. The Iris/oud might be nice at some point… the opening and early heart are just far too discordant for my likes —-and I love mushroom notes(musc from Bruno Acampora or Burvuvu from JSP for instance). I don’t love that umami soy sauce note that creeps into some of the darker Ensar creations. But fair play to him using only natural ingredients and not shying away from the earthy browns that so many people detest. I think it’s always cool to embrace the dark and ugly in perfume. I personally don’t like it enough to pay nfu money for it.

But I also don’t find Onthamara linear. I get tobacco moments, smoke moments, fougere moments, pure animalic stages. Lots of fun. Not necessarily groundbreaking but very very expertly crafted. I’d call it the perfection of “the Prin style”… he’s made a lot of different perfumes along these lines but they’ve never gotten to this level. Don’t know if it’s the power of real musk or just experience as a perfumer. But it’s great. In my opinion of course. And I wouldn’t expect there to be any kind of consensus on beauty!

JonoBorneo

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 30, 2019
Treated myself to Nutella toast and one spray of Onthamara with this morning’s coffee.

1) Perfect Combo. 10/10 recommend.
2) Onthamara is STRONG. I must have been blasting my nose out with multiple sprays in my previous wearings.
3) I know Nutella is bad for the planet, but I don’t eat it everyday…and it’s just so dang good.
4) The chocolate facets of the deer musk really shine in this composition. There’s so much to like here.

I would love to see a natural-musk take on Varuek, since that’s also a pseudo-gourmand musk-centric stunner from Prin.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
I’d rather wear my Oud oil neat than to spend the prices that are necessary to kind of sorta smell the Oud in the drydown. Onthamara provides a much more enriching perfume experience in my opinion. I can always just swipe some Vietnamese oil on my wrist or heck I can even put a few dabs of Emperor of China for a true Kinam experience if I wanted that extra Oud in the drydown without paying NFU prices.

JonoBorneo

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 30, 2019
I’d rather wear my Oud oil neat than to spend the prices that are necessary to kind of sorta smell the Oud in the drydown. Onthamara provides a much more enriching perfume experience in my opinion. I can always just swipe some Vietnamese oil on my wrist or heck I can even put a few dabs of Emperor of China for a true Kinam experience if I wanted that extra Oud in the drydown without paying NFU prices.
I can’t defend the price, but as for its creativity, there’s nothing out there that paints a similar picture in the drydown. The deepest, darkest orris I’ve ever experienced, and probably ever will…that being said, Onthamara is 100% on equal footing In regards to its use of dark tones of musk.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I don't find Onthamara being linear or flat, it goes through a few different transitions, the deer musk from this release is authentic and stay true to the raw musk grains and tinctures, even more so than any musk fragrance I've ever tried from ALD, which tend to come off too powdery for me. I especially love how PRIN does animalic, it's wild but not overly done to the point of smelling like i just came out of spending the night in the cage at the zoo :ROFLMAO: When it comes to animalic....PRIN has got the best game in town in my opinion.

me too. And Mriga for that matter. There is nothing like real deer musk.
Second this, Mriga is stunning, my 2nd full bottle from this house. LOL It would be awesome being done in real deer musk!!!

Theholyfilament

Jul 4, 2014
Absolutely love the new trio. Only tried some tester strips so far but my ranking is Rahassanai>Oqachol>Onthamara which is the exact opposite order I was anticipating. Shocked with how fresh Rahassanai is while staying musky and deeply naturalistic. Onthamara almost has a bit of Bois D’Ascese to me, that slightly metallic boozy woodsmoke vibe, with hints of a few other familiar scents that I can’t seem to place.. Oq was quite a bit higher pitched and brighter than I anticipated at first but returning to the strip a few minutes later, the drydown is beautiful and complex. Excited for an actual on skin wear for each!

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
One of the attractive aspects of the Mrigra is the price point, it's hard to beat for $190. If using real deer musk would mean the price increae to say $350, would you guys still buy it? real musk ain't cheap.... haha.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
One of the attractive aspects of the Mrigra is the price point, it's hard to beat for $190. If using real deer musk would mean the price increae to say $350, would you guys still buy it? real musk ain't cheap.... haha.
I’d prob buy it for $250-$280 max.
I dunno, maybe I wouldn’t buy it at all.
I loved the original Mriga but it gave off old man vibes, so much so that my spouse teased me into selling it.

Theholyfilament

Jul 4, 2014
Just cracking into my new full bottle of Mandodari and it’s very different than my sample from the initial release of the line. Much more floral/aldehyde forward without the odd animal coffee/smoky undertone. Has anyone else noticed any differences between the thin label original release of Mando and the current large labeled one with the notes on it?

Latest News