Parfum Prissana discussion thread

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013
Some info from Prin Lomros via Instagram (the first sentence refers to Morah)

tZEIB7E.jpg

Wow! this is great news. I always wanted to try Turkish Leather. Thanks Bangkok Hound.

wood&leather

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 27, 2018
I have samples of Ma Nishtana and Mandarava and I'm itching to try them but they came on the same day as my Ajeej Le Dore bottles. Hopefully I can get my nose on them starting Friday.

I admire your discipline, patience, and dedicated "discernment" to each fragrance. I'm much more ADHD than that.

I'll likely try all 4 in a 30 minute window using my textbook "Left wrist, Right wrist, Left bicep, Right bicep" test surfaces then drawing a bold, highly inaccurate conclusion immediately. This will be followed up with a more seasoned basenoter pointing out a nuance i didn't pay attention to and i'll either learn to love it or hate it lol.

Koh-i-Noor I was told I jumped the gun on, but even after aging I find it to be a "less spectacular" Diaghilev. Additionally Bortnikoffs entire latest collection simply fell flat for me (despite me thinking Oud Monarch and his Colognes were the best releases of 2019). On the other hand, words to revisit Baikal Gris and to hold on to "Antiquity" were well advised and I think will pay dividends.

Jack Hunter

Jul 29, 2009
I'm just testing out Ma Nishtana and it's really nice. I'm not really into incense fragrances but this is not cold churchy incense. It starts out the same with the Frankincense and Myrhh and then becomes warm, inviting, smoky, spicy with a slight sweet amberyness. It's not my style but I have to admit it's good, very good.

Jack Hunter

Jul 29, 2009
Mandarava is a beautiful exotic floral but it does cross my too feminine line in the sand. It has a big dose of tuberose which I don't get on with. This note is mixed in with champa and jasmine and I'm sure other notes. It smells like a deeply feminine rosey cherry like scent. It's captivating and bewitching but I just could not pull this one off or feel comfortable wearing it. Though on a lady this would be stunning.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
I enjoy Mandarava and ordered a full bottle that is due to arrive in a few days. Love that type of thing.

I wore Apsarah today which you would not like, a fantastic floral feast supposedly done with an old Thai method of extraction. One of the finest floral scents I've experienced but very "feminine" to many Western noses no doubt. There is wood, ylang ylang, many florals, sandalwood and oak moss. I don't think it has laudanum and is not a chypre, but it is really amazing to my nose and I treasure my bottle.

The other day I wore Aksum, which is goat hair animalics times 100, and that one is a (yet to be) acquired taste for me. I don't know if Nimitr is still available (I see not) but it is kind of in the Bogue Maai camp, to me, with many opposing notes including fruit and spice and aldehydes. It is really outstanding.

Haxan is a fantastic incense fougere, but quite recognizable as a classic fougere as opposed to Kouros, which is a love of mine but I haven't yet recognized the fougere bones in it. Haxan is a very classic fougere but so much more interesting, witch-y and Eastern-ish.

I am so excited about seeing where Prin is going. He has taken a lot of interesting turns. I think Prin has said he's going to do Turkish Leather for the new house, a version of it, and it is one of my all time favorite fragrances, I just love it and luckily bought a backup bottle when it was still available.

I expect that some of these "older" scents will be re-issued. Morah would be one of those with a big fan base. I enjoy it but I'm not a huge fan as it has civet coffee in it and I'm not a fan of scents with much coffee but it is beautiful.

Aranyaka is a love. It has a lot of cypress to it and is super concentrated but nothing like I would expect. It has lavender in it and could be considered by some fougere-ish but I don't see it that way (no more than I would see vintage Yatagan as a fougere.)

It has that soil tincture that one of the Amouage also uses (is it Bracken Man?) and it also has a lot of animalics, frankinsense, cloves nutmeg and leather, but like most of his work, you don't pick up on these notes that easily, at least I don't, as the whole is so much greater than the parts.

wildrnesxperienc

Jun 19, 2018
Finally got my samples just now. Ma Nishtana’s cap broke off and half leaked out! But I put it back together and sprayed. Wow these are both outstanding after the first few minutes. Oh boy...

The thing I don’t like about so many people’s favorite incense fragrances is the almost nose searing sharpness. This is the most full and rounded incense forward composition I’ve smelled yet.

And Mandarava is gorgeous spicy white and yellow florals but it’s not feminine per se. Already excited by these two. The website says everything is sold out. I’m hoping that’s just because he’s away from the business until the end of November.

Edit: maybe Mandarava is a bit feminine. Still amazing and I’d think Bortnikoff lovers would like this. I like it better than Bortnikoff’s offerings.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
Finally got my samples just now. Ma Nishtana’s cap broke off and half leaked out! But I put it back together and sprayed. Wow these are both outstanding after the first few minutes. Oh boy...

The thing I don’t like about so many people’s favorite incense fragrances is the almost nose searing sharpness. This is the most full and rounded incense forward composition I’ve smelled yet.

And Mandarava is gorgeous spicy white and yellow florals but it’s not feminine per se. Already excited by these two. The website says everything is sold out. I’m hoping that’s just because he’s away from the business until the end of November.

I've seen him do this several times. I would imagine they aren't sold out when he returns.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
My wallet doesn’t mind waiting for Prin’s new store in December. Gives it a chance to recover after the walloping it received from ALD5 & more from Francesca Bianchi’s giant-killer The Black Knight and a slew of stuff from phoenix arisen-from-the-ashes Sonoma Scent Studio.

I’m wearing Le Cirque Bleu today. Wears well under presently cool and windy conditions. I’m surprised to encounter some dry incense accords in here. Seems to be a house signature of sorts but I could be mistaken. I recognise it in varying strengths within Ma Nishtana, Nesnas Qareen, and even Mandarava. But I like it.

wildrnesxperienc

Jun 19, 2018
I’m not upset about the wait at all. My wallet is also recovering from ALD and the Harrods sale last month. 2 bottles of Henry Jacques puts a big hurtin on it. And another HJ sale coming up the first weekend of Nov. Plus if slumberhouse releases anything this week... :undecided:

mrmorel

Aug 2, 2018
To those of you who are familiar with all of Prin's many lines—
I bought about 10 samples of Strangers at the beginning of the summer. From the notes they all sounded fantastic, and some are, but I find most of them to be very "safe"—where the interesting and exciting parts of the composition seem tamed into a predictable perfume structure.

I'm curious if the Prissana perfumes come across as a similar style? Especially those in the new natural, Japanese-inspired collection...

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
I think many of the Prissana line go much further into novel or niche or artisan territory. I do enjoy some of the Strangers line, such as Cigar Rum, or Ember, or Scotch Peat. But those don’t have the complexity of Ma Nishtana, or the Pryn lines like Turkish Leather, or Morah, or Aksum (wow Aksum, omg) or Apsarah etc.

wood&leather

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 27, 2018
I've had my Prissana samples for days now, i've just been really busy with personal stuff but overall I enjoyed the Prissana experience.

Summary:
I like how this can be seen as the last piece of the Thaibased-Trio of highend niche. Much like the "Holy Trinity" of highend swiss watch making. Areej Le Dore / Bortnikoff / Prissana vs. Patek Philippe / Audemars Piquet / Vacheron Constantin. You'd never say one is blatantly better than the other, but they all carry a completely different strength at a very very high level.

Ma Nishtana: I flat out need more time with this one because I didn't enjoy it initially.

Thicila: I went through a phase of exploring ensar and feel oud. I remember reading a lot about how Ensar's Oud Yusuf was the easiest to dip your toe in the water and easiest to like. After smelling it i remember being repulsed by a very strong fishy/rubbery note. That went on for a solid 2 hours before i got any sort of enjoyment out of it. As soon as i sprayed Thichila, i thought "This is Oud Yusuf if it was diluted 90% and all of the annoying fish and rubbery topend character removed". I think an ensar fanboy would go crazy over this. I certainly enjoyed it.

Le Cirque Bleu: I make this next statement VERY loosely. But this almost smells like a Bortnikoff Bonheur flanker. Like if Bonheur was an EdP and they made a remix of that EdP. It has the spicy presence of bonheur, but the kick of that spiciness is a light kick to the shin rather than the dropkick to the face bonheur has evolved into. This "lightened remix" then takes the salty ambergris base and replaces it with tobacco and leather. Very nicely done.

Nesnàs Qareen: I have 100% smelled something like this from Parfums de Marly, House of Sillage, or another brand. I can't put my finger on where i smelled this and it's driving me insane but I do like it. Wait a minute... i think it's that new PdM Kalan! People tried to draw comparisons to MFK 540, but when I smelled it I thought that there was too much spice with only a light touch of "rougey red" aroma. Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what I was thinking of. Anywho I enjoyed this one too.

So everything is sold out. Am I completely gutted like I was when I missed out on Inverno Russo? Nah. Would I happily take a 5 or 10ml of Thicila or Le Cirque Bleu in a heartbeat? Absolutely. I'll just fondly look forward to the december releases, with my wallet a little more comfortable had I discovered this house 2 months ago.

911LambMelb

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Sampled a few of these fragrances over the last few days. I find that they sting my nose, not sure what that is. Really enjoyed Ma Nishtana and Nesnas Qareen despite this.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Picked up a bottle of Wicked John by Strangers Parfum and WOW, I love it. It’s an exclusive with Bloom in London and it’s based on John Wick but it smells incredible. Great smoky/fresh lavender.
Lavender orris leather tobacco gun powder ink metal hay absolute rose Elemi cedar and soil

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
Picked up a bottle of Wicked John by Strangers Parfum and WOW, I love it. It’s an exclusive with Bloom in London and it’s based on John Wick but it smells incredible. Great smoky/fresh lavender.
Lavender orris leather tobacco gun powder ink metal hay absolute rose Elemi cedar and soil

Sounds bloody fantastic! Too bad it’s another city exclusive (Aren’t they always?)

Last edited:

911LambMelb

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Cigar rum sounded right up my alley. Again some super strong synthetic note ruined it for me. Can't get past it. Tapping out with this/these brand(s)

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
Just ordered a bunch of new samples from his Prissana line. Would love a bottle of Ma Nishtana but I doubt I’ll ever finish a bottle.

Jcelello

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2019
I have been on a bit of a Prissana kick. I already owned a bottle of Ma Nishtana, which is my favorite incense fragrance.Picked up a bottle of Haxan last week. It’s a really unique and addictive fougere. A love for me. I also have Mandarava and Thichila on order. Mandarava is really special. It has a vintage chypre vibe all the way through. Thichila is a blind buy.

Having sampled about 8-10 from the Strangers line, I just haven’t found any to be FBW. I respect the artistry, but they have all been too safe or too specific and strange. His Prissana line is pricier, but the quality is obvious and the creations are on another level IMO.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
I like both lines. I like Cigar Rum, Scotch Peat, Ember, these are amazing and even all the others in the Strangers line worth having and are quite interesting and I enjoyed them, e.g. Gheorge.

I think the Prissana line is higher end and really incredible. Ma Nishtana is the greatest incense I’ve ever experienced. Haxan is witchy fougere. Turkish Leather is an all time favorite. Coming back soon.

Last edited:

CordonBeige

Oct 20, 2017
I haven't seriously given it thought, but I love how the herbs and spices hit me in certain southeast asian dishes (laab and pho being my faves), and Prin is giving it a shot with Tom Yum. My interest is piqued. If it turns out to be a dud, I'm down for a remake/re-release of Morah under Prissana.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
I have been on a bit of a Prissana kick. I already owned a bottle of Ma Nishtana, which is my favorite incense fragrance.Picked up a bottle of Haxan last week. It’s a really unique and addictive fougere. A love for me. I also have Mandarava and Thichila on order. Mandarava is really special. It has a vintage chypre vibe all the way through. Thichila is a blind buy.

Having sampled about 8-10 from the Strangers line, I just haven’t found any to be FBW. I respect the artistry, but they have all been too safe or too specific and strange. His Prissana line is pricier, but the quality is obvious and the creations are on another level IMO.

Wow where’d you find Haxan last week? I’ve been dying to try that one.

LuciferSan

Dec 8, 2019
I've got Lava Rose. It was beautiful to my nose... until I got to the weird metallic. Not for me.

I also have Thichila (Prissana) waiting for me to try. It will be interesting to see if there is real oud in there. I'll make sure I post my findings here.

mrmorel

Aug 2, 2018
I think the answer it, "It's not", but I'm actually heading to Thailand over the holidays and was curious if anyone knew about local stockists of Strangers or Prissana?
I assume it would be on their website, and it doesn't list anywhere, but just thought I'd ask.

farang

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 26, 2012
I have seen Prissana bottles in a fashion shop inside the Siam Center mall. But I cannot remember the name of the fashion shop. You have to look around.

Latest News