Parfum Prissana discussion thread

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
I would give it another couple wearings to reveal itself. I like Oud Zhen a lot but this one is much much more sophisticated in its blending imho. So much more complex and layered. Some of this group knows I’m a big Sultan Pasha fan and at first this one ran a little close to some of his tobacco scents for me, where I thought it might be redundant… but wow, after a couple hours and a couple wears, I became a believer. Might like it better than Tabac Grande/Tabacaurum, even.

I think Oud Zhen is lovely in a monolithic, powerful, singleminded kind of way but Onthamara somehow achieves both a sledgehammer central chord AND manages to peel off a million little layers like Sultan does in his best work. Quite a trick!
After a few more hours, I can see where the blending and complexity that you’re talking about becomes apparent. There is an incense factor coming into play that I’m enjoying. Definitely excited to give this more chances, but I’ll be shocked if I ever get the pure smell enjoyment like OZ presents. You’re right that OZ is a bit more basic/linear, but the smell itself can’t be matched imo. The way OZ captures the realism of burning Oud chips is remarkable!

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
After a few more hours, I can see where the blending and complexity that you’re talking about becomes apparent. There is an incense factor coming into play that I’m enjoying. Definitely excited to give this more chances, but I’ll be shocked if I ever get the pure smell enjoyment like OZ presents. You’re right that OZ is a bit more basic/linear, but the smell itself can’t be matched imo. The way OZ captures the realism of burning Oud chips is remarkable!
To my nose the similarities with Oud Zhen isn’t in a replication of the scent itself but rather the way the spices and incense presents itself. I think there’s a lot of overlap in the use of spices and animalics and to my nose it’s absolutely in the same wheelhouse.

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
To my nose the similarities with Oud Zhen isn’t in a replication of the scent itself but rather the way the spices and incense presents itself. I think there’s a lot of overlap in the use of spices and animalics and to my nose it’s absolutely in the same wheelhouse.
I wish they were more in the same wheelhouse for me, but I still can’t quite get past the first hour or so with Onthamara. The drydown phase is pretty nice, but at this point, I’m glad I got samples first.
I am looking forward to trying the other two samples though, Oq and Ras

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
So, I'm working my way through this sample and I'm really struggling with the decision of whether to open and keep the full bottle of Rahassanai or not. It is such a unique fragrance and a really special experience that I can't really put into words.

The thing I'm worried about most is about how this will age. Lets keep it real, skunk is pretty scary; I kinda like the smell of skunk out in the wild but I'm worried that it's going to increase in strength as it ages and become completely unwearable. What do you guys think about how Rahassanai might age?

JonoBorneo

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 30, 2019
So, I'm working my way through this sample and I'm really struggling with the decision of whether to open and keep the full bottle of Rahassanai or not. It is such a unique fragrance and a really special experience that I can't really put into words.

The thing I'm worried about most is about how this will age. Lets keep it real, skunk is pretty scary; I kinda like the smell of skunk out in the wild but I'm worried that it's going to increase in strength as it ages and become completely unwearable. What do you guys think about how Rahassanai might age?
My guess is the Thai oud will grow stronger. Unsure about the skunk though 😂. Could get better…could get worse.

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016

So I am currently wearing this Rahassanai sample, and it’s very different. I’m not getting perceptible Oud or skunk yet. I’m just slightly confused by it at the moment.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
So I am currently wearing this Rahassanai sample, and it’s very different. I’m not getting perceptible Oud or skunk yet. I’m just slightly confused by it at the moment.
Did you put it in an atomizer and spray it? This stuff has to be sprayed; swipes don't do it.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020

if the skunk ever take a turn for the worst....might I suggest to immediately go camp out by the landfill for a night? the next day I'm pretty sure all of a sudden the skunk juice would smell like roses.😁

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
They are all so good but I'm leaning towards and keep going back to ANATOLIA ANATOLIA, then of course Varuek.

What are your thoughts on ANATOLIA ANATOLIA?
funny that you mentioned that, i was just looking up that profile a few minutes ago, am trying the OG Anatolia as we speak, the AA is supposed to have additional Ouds and got bumped up to 49% concentration. The OG has that Turkish delight, rose water and suede leather with a bit of dried dates type profile, not too bad.

But so far pretty much all the PRIN have a bit of a short-range projection for me, they're like intimate scent bubbles.

Dr B1414

Oct 21, 2019
samples arrived and ofc I had to try them all.

quick impression ranking

Rahassanai >Oqachol >Onthamara for me , though ill see if my perception changes over time when i give each a more studied wearing with pen to paper,

@Dr B1414 how does oqachol face up to HUE from AZ? in your opinion

also any Aranyaka fans haven't tried this one but have tried aran any major differences? also as an Ayothaya enjoyer what would someone recommend me

There are only small similarities between them. The saltiness, the choya nakh, the smokiness. They are quite different overall. Both are nice, but I like HUE more, as it is a bit darker, especially in the base, and more meditative.

As far as Ayothaya, I really don't think there's anything similar to it. I can't compare it with anything, so I can't make good recommendations, other than, Ayothaya:).
Aranyaka is one of my favorites, however, I have never tried Aran, so I can't compare them. I do know for sure that Aranyaka had a great amount of moss and other IFRA-restricted ingredients, Aran is more like an IFRA-friendly version of it.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
funny that you mentioned that, i was just looking up that profile a few minutes ago, am trying the OG Anatolia as we speak, the AA is supposed to have additional Ouds and got bumped up to 49% concentration. The OG has that Turkish delight, rose water and suede leather with a bit of dried dates type profile, not too bad.

But so far pretty much all the PRIN have a bit of a short-range projection for me, they're like intimate scent bubbles.
That is so wild. I find Prin’s to be borderline too much.

Also I find Anatolia Anatolia to be very Hardcore compared to the original. The kind of Oud I appreciate but rarely wear. When I got a test strip of it at Luckyscent my girl said, ANYTHING BUT THAT ONE. She almost made me buy it on the spot from that comment alone lol.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020

Prin’s work has all been crazy performers on me. Definitely a little too strong. Also it’s cool to see Anatolia doesn’t smell like stink bugs anymore! Do you feel like you’re coming around the scent?

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Prin’s work has all been crazy performers on me. Definitely a little too strong. Also it’s cool to see Anatolia doesn’t smell like stink bugs anymore! Do you feel like you’re coming around the scent?

Yes, I'll keep wearing down the samples to see how many I would end up liking, the stink bugs odor wasn't as offensive as the first time around, almost like a licorice type note this time.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Yes, I'll keep wearing down the samples to see how many I would end up liking, the stink bugs odor wasn't as offensive as the first time around, almost like a licorice type note this time.
Anatolia was weird for me. The first wearing I loved it. Then I hated it with a passion. I lost my sample for a solid year and just found it. Now it’s back to being an instant love. The drydown is my favorite though. I def get the licorice aspect.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Anatolia was weird for me. The first wearing I loved it. Then I hated it with a passion. I lost my sample for a solid year and just found it. Now it’s back to being an instant love. The drydown is my favorite though. I def get the licorice aspect.

Could it be the synthetic elements that eventually burn you out? I loved Mriga, but the 3rd time I wore it to bed, there was this very persistent note from it that kept me awake most of the night, can't quite pinpoint exactly what it was but it did eventually get on my nerves. needless to say I wouldn't wear that one to bed again. :ROFLMAO:

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Could it be the synthetic elements that eventually burn you out? I loved Mriga, but the 3rd time I wore it to bed, there was this very persistent note from it that kept me awake most of the night, can't quite pinpoint exactly what it was but it did eventually get on my nerves. needless to say I wouldn't wear that one to bed again. :ROFLMAO:
There are a couple with synthetic notes that burn me out for sure. It’s strange because I love a lot of synthetic perfumes from classic houses. I don’t know what it is with the Prin stuff but I assume that it’s because he dips into the same world as a lot of the all natural perfume houses, so the contrast is really evident in some of them.

Dr B1414

Oct 21, 2019
All this talk about Anatolia makes me wonder if the part that some seem to be struggling with is the Raki accord. I haven't tried Anatolia, but in Turkish Leather there is a huge Raki accord that I still have a hard time with. I'm very familiar with this spirited drink as it is very common here in the Balcan area, and boy, I really hate the smell of it. Because of that, the first couple of hours with Turkish Leather are tough, but it gets better afterwards. I also don't get much of the leather accord, I get the oud, which has a leather quality to it, supposedly creating the leather feel. But yeah, a very weird perfume from Prin, more so to me, because of that Raki. I'm shocked to see that it is one of his more popular.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Wearing Oqachol in the rain today, not getting any smoke… I’m wondering if it’s a cool weather/atmospheric pressure thing to let that come out. I saw people mentioned Tonkinh Musk in relation to this one. I think it’s the deer musk note up top… maybe the way it’s sweetened against florals and ambergris? After a half hour I don’t see it so much(for the record, I think the heart of Tonkin Musk is my fav part… if Ensar is only using essential oils and no fractions, no absolutes then I don’t know how he’s getting such good clarity in the heart of that one… he must be more talented than I even realized and I like his work). Also the GF loooooves Oqachol when I wear it. Makes me so happy as she generally prefers barbershop and woody frags on me, not ouds or musks, like I like for myself.

Also, gave my neighbor who’s into perfume three strips for the three new Prin perfumes and he said that he liked Rahassanai the least because it was “rubbery and medicinal”(which I don’t get from it). BUT he took the three strips to an event at a perfumer’s house(I think it might be the Charenton Macerations guy) and he was shocked that EVERYONE picked the “skunk one” as their favorite and were asking him the name of the perfume so they could buy it. Very interesting to me the different reactions that one gets.

JonoBorneo

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 30, 2019
if Ensar is only using essential oils and no fractions, no absolutes then I don’t know how he’s getting such good clarity in the heart of that one… he must be more talented than I even realized and I like his work).
HAHAHA that’s what they would have you believe with the recent vindictive marketing, alas, I can assure you that absolutes, CO2’s et all are used.

FWIW Ochachol has grown on me a bit. Stretching out my sample to the point of selling some more things and buying a bottle.

Theholyfilament

Jul 4, 2014
Anatolia is nice but I find I get tired of it very quickly. It’s sort of one note, droning on and on with the sweet leather theme all day, I almost wish I got Raki or Licorice out of it instead of Powdered sugar dusted rose water and leather. One of the few Prins that leans synthetic to my nose.

Finally get to try the new trio tonight, secretly hoping I don’t love them because they’re a bit out of my budget at the moment lol.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
The latest Luckyscent discount code is PERFUMEROOM10. Decided to pull the trigger for a bottle of Mriga, love this type of foresty scent, and the faux musk is quite convincing. 😆

Oqachol is the clear winner for me out of these last three! A vibrant marine scent, a fruity muskiness, some sea green aspects, seems like the right amount of a salty ambergris…..and has some similarities to Atlantic Ambergris II to me. Really enjoyed this today!
Did you get the full bottle or just the sample? The swipe stick vile sample doesn't show the full spectrum of this one for me, the dry down is quite lovely though.

All this talk about Anatolia makes me wonder if the part that some seem to be struggling with is the Raki accord. I haven't tried Anatolia, but in Turkish Leather there is a huge Raki accord that I still have a hard time with. I'm very familiar with this spirited drink as it is very common here in the Balcan area, and boy, I really hate the smell of it. Because of that, the first couple of hours with Turkish Leather are tough, but it gets better afterwards. I also don't get much of the leather accord, I get the oud, which has a leather quality to it, supposedly creating the leather feel. But yeah, a very weird perfume from Prin, more so to me, because of that Raki. I'm shocked to see that it is one of his more popular.
The leather from Anatolia smell quite different than the type of leather from say EO1, I got the impression of fresh suede leather, like the smell of brand new suede goods, a bit brighter and sharper, with a hint of earthy undertone, but has a bit of synthetic/chemical note in there somewhere.

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
The latest Luckyscent discount code is PERFUMEROOM10. Decided to pull the trigger for a bottle of Mriga, love this type of foresty scent, and the faux musk is quite convincing. 😆

Did you get the full bottle or just the sample? The swipe stick vile sample doesn't show the full spectrum of this one for me, the dry down is quite lovely though.

The leather from Anatolia smell quite different than the type of leather from say EO1, I got the impression of fresh suede leather, like the smell of brand new suede goods, a bit brighter and sharper, with a hint of earthy undertone, but has a bit of synthetic/chemical note in there somewhere.
I got the samples, but transferred them into the little spray vials I have. The drydown of Oq is showing itself with some creaminess today!

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
Nice, I've got to revisit that neck pain juice again, you've got the full bottle right? what kind of performance are you getting out of this one?
I was working with a LS sample vial of Rahassanai that I transferred into an atomizer. I've got the full bottle cracked open now and just did a single spray from the FB.
It's pretty nuclear right out of the sprayer and tapers down after an hour but continues to perform. I'm having a hard time gauging it's performance since I haven't been able to do an outdoor wear of it yet. I tend to go anosmic pretty quickly indoors, especially in my WFH office (I'm on a hybrid schedule and spend half the week in the office, half the week at home).

I've been having a pretty tough time figuring out Oqachol. I'm going nose blind to it super quick. Hoping it opens up for me when worn outdoors.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
Oqachol is so faint on me, I can barely smell it in the air around me. If I smell it off my arm, it's still extremely faint. Am I just going noseblind to this juice? What are ya'll experience with the performance of Oqachol?

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Oqachol is so faint on me, I can barely smell it in the air around me. If I smell it off my arm, it's still extremely faint. Am I just going noseblind to this juice? What are ya'll experience with the performance of Oqachol?

It has low projection on me, mriga is a lot more potent in comparison.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
I lost it for a few hours and then the big ambergris ending was puffed out in the air around me at the drydown. So either I went noseblind to it in the heart or my body temp went up and it started projecting again. Very hard for me to tell how strong this one is. When it gets smoky on me, I perceive it to be really strong. When it goes sweeter/muskier/floral it seems like peekaboo.

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
I lost it for a few hours and then the big ambergris ending was puffed out in the air around me at the drydown. So either I went noseblind to it in the heart or my body temp went up and it started projecting again. Very hard for me to tell how strong this one is. When it gets smoky on me, I perceive it to be really strong. When it goes sweeter/muskier/floral it seems like peekaboo.
I haven’t even gotten the smokiness yet unfortunately, I think that would put it over the top and I’d go FB!

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
I had a woman at the playground I took my son to complain about Oqachol from quite the distance away.

Another person put their mask up walking towards me on the sidewalk and made one of those “something stinks” gestures and they were about 15 feet away. They were not happy at all.

Oqachol is deceptively strong but my nose is much more sensitive than a lot of folks on here and I never wear more than one spray of any perfume ever. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

My son had a sneezing fit from the other room when I sprayed Oqachol as well.

HabibiGotIt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 9, 2020
A week of wearing Onthamara after its arrival, and this perfume has developed into a smooth, spicy, deeply musky, lightly smokey oriental. This perfume is what I wish Agar de Noir smelled like. This is the best Prin perfume I have experienced (except for maybe Aksum) and one of the finest deer musk perfumes available. What an amazing scent. At first it felt closed and difficult to read. It is the complete opposite now. Just, damn.

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
I had a woman at the playground I took my son to complain about Oqachol from quite the distance away.

Another person put their mask up walking towards me on the sidewalk and made one of those “something stinks” gestures and they were about 15 feet away. They were not happy at all.

Oqachol is deceptively strong but my nose is much more sensitive than a lot of folks on here and I never wear more than one spray of any perfume ever. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Geez, even if they were smelling it from that distance, I can’t for the life of me imagine what they thought was unpleasant about Oqachol??? Maybe Onth or Rah, lol

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020

geographic location and the weather may have something to do with how well and far it projects as well, cooler climate with high humidity may come off a bit muted, maybe in the dryer and the warmer zone would be able to push out much more? Just a thought.

Latest News