Papillon Perfumery Spell 125 new release review

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Nobody writes reviews like ClaireV - for my money, she's without peer. She makes me want to try Spell 125, though up until now I haven't even been curious about it. Thanks for the link, cazaubon!

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Papillon is one of my favorite modern houses. Everything Liz Moores creates is done beautifully and bottleworthy, IMO - so it's intriguing to me that, while I'm not usually drawn to lighter fragrances, Liz has expanded her sensibilities in a new direction. Blind buy in July, coming right up! :)

ajmc

Jun 9, 2003
Love Papillon! Having been obsessed with Anubis (my latest purchase) lately, I have already decided I am blind buying Spell 125 as soon as it's available in the US.
Plus, I won't be buying anything in the meantime. Gives me something to look forward to..

Rinx7

Mar 14, 2021
Papillon is one of the finest of the modern indie/niche houses. Much like Tauer everything that Liz Moores makes is superbly composed and doesn't fall into the typical indie trap of having sloppy DIY construction while using excellent materials. Excited to try this new release.

ThVH

Mar 13, 2020
I also love the house. Anubis is a super unique stunner with a performance that fits the scent superbly (a dense but appropriately close sillage that does not fatigue the nose and you as well as others close enough can smell all day). I have not smelled anything that reminds me of it. Dryad is a fresh and elegant greenish chypre with a slightly powdery tone (I admit I‘m far from being a chypre expert). Salome I still have to wear again, but was impressed the first time.

So all in all, her creations seem to be of great technical and compositional skill and I will definitely try this. The notes sound right up my alley. Only thing I‘m a little concerned about is the shelf little, as I have no other experience with purely natural perfumes.

Big Papillon fan :smiley:

ajmc

Jun 9, 2003
I also love the house. Anubis is a super unique stunner with a performance that fits the scent superbly (a dense but appropriately close sillage that does not fatigue the nose and you as well as others close enough can smell all day). I have not smelled anything that reminds me of it. Dryad is a fresh and elegant greenish chypre with a slightly powdery tone (I admit I‘m far from being a chypre expert). Salome I still have to wear again, but was impressed the first time.

So all in all, her creations seem to be of great technical and compositional skill and I will definitely try this. The notes sound right up my alley. Only thing I‘m a little concerned about is the shelf little, as I have no other experience with purely natural perfumes.

Big Papillon fan :smiley:
I love Dryad. It's one of three of hers that I own. Bengale Rouge and Anubis being the other two. Salome was great, until the dry down. It went all wonky on my skin. I blame the cumin. Oddly enough, I usually love cumin, but I now understand how some people hate it.

Anyway, I think Liz is a genius. Love her scents. Love that she is an animal lover. Love her ethos. And she's gorgeous!

Btw, although she does use a high percentage of naturals, she uses synthetics too.
Everyone should check out Papillon's Facebook page. She recently posted a video talking about Spell 125.

ThVH

Mar 13, 2020
I love Dryad. It's one of three of hers that I own. Bengale Rouge and Anubis being the other two. Salome was great, until the dry down. It went all wonky on my skin. I blame the cumin. Oddly enough, I usually love cumin, but I now understand how some people hate it.

Anyway, I think Liz is a genius. Love her scents. Love that she is an animal lover. Love her ethos. And she's gorgeous!

Btw, although she does use a high percentage of naturals, she uses synthetics too.
Everyone should check out Papillon's Facebook page. She recently posted a video talking about Spell 125.

Oh, thanks for the info about her ingredients, didn‘t know that! :thumbsup: Very much looking forward to Spell 125, checking out the video now

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
IAnyway, I think Liz is a genius. Love her scents. Love that she is an animal lover. Love her ethos. And she's gorgeous!
She's kind, too. When customers email her, she writes back reasonably quickly and in a warm, friendly manner. She and her perfumes are among the best in the business.

Blizzard

Jul 5, 2017
I just placed an order for it. It appears to contain the sacred combination of pine and incense, which often warrants a blind buy in my book.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Yes, quite a price hike over my last Papillon purchase ($65 more). The new price is too much for a blind buy, even for me. Samples are $5 at LuckyScent, that's the way I'll go for now. But I've heard their service is not what it used to be.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I got an email from Lucky Scent about this one, and the notes combined with Papillon's reputation certainly caught my attention. Claire's review has me licking my chops.

First Hiram Green Vetiver, and now this. Interesting time in artisanal world!

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
She's so freaking good at it that she makes me want to immediately buy whatever she's extolling, even when I can tell from the notes that it's not something I'd even enjoy!
That's for sure! I'm not crazy about pine at all, yet - had it not been for the price, which I don't begrudge the house - I would have blind-bought this one based on the lushness of Claire's description, alone. Truthfully, I'll probably go ahead and do it anyway. I'm such a sucker for evocations of incense, Egypt, and mystical rites of passage; flickering flames against rock walls, every word of Liz Moores' brief and Claire's seal of approval.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
i bought and look forward to it!
Did you receive it yet? Fingers crossed!

I wonder if it's at all similar to Anubis (a favorite of mine), but I'm thinking probably not, because Ms. Moores is known for mastering wildly different genres. Still, the incense and resin notes make me wonder.

strifeknot

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 28, 2008
This smells like a pine forest after a rainfall. Wet soil, damp wood and herbs, coniferous resin, with other subtleties creeping in. Very complex and evocative.

Blizzard

Jul 5, 2017
Still waiting for my sample but as one who enjoys Dryad this sounds like a winner.

I own Dryad, but it has been a while since I have used it. When I received my bottle of Spell 125, it brought back a bit of a scent memory of Dryad. Please note, however, that I just tested positive for COVID-19 (despite being vaccinated), so I am holding off giving any solid opinions on anything for the time being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest News