Out of Time: The Allure of Smelling Retro

NickZee

Sep 19, 2014
Basenotes members definitely have higher expectations than the typical social media reader, but lots of houses are catering to those expectations and it would be a shame to ignore their efforts while we keep going around in circles discussing Azzaro and Giorgio and Kouros and Polo etc

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
I agree with OP. They can be distracting when I wear them at work or when out socializing.

But in my alone down time, they take me back to a nostalgic era. I started wearing fragrances as a teen with stuff like Cool Water and Curve. But the previous two decades is what I have an affinity for. I have little nostalgia for my actual era (the 90s).

Drakkar Noir, Polo, Kouros, Azzaro Pour Homme, and oddly enough Brut, remind me of Lamborghini's, New Wave music, bomber jackets, Pac-Man, country clubs, and tennis.

Z-14, 1-12 and Paco Rabanne Pour Homme remind of Three's Company, shag carpets, Atari 2600, and disco.

I almost always regret wearing a retro scent just shortly after application. The older I get, I realize that nostalgia is a dangerous trap and I feel healthier mentally when I focus on moving forward.

And I agree with this. I was on a retro kick since I signed up here, but for me, it feels odd to be going backwards fashion-wise. I might prefer old school scents, but I feel cleaner and more confident wearing newer stuff.

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
Yatagan, Giorgio for men, Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, Quorum make me travel back in time, so I'm not able to wear them if not in my leisure time.

Anyway i still feel the allure of smelling "Retro"!!!

What's your take on this?

Any similar experience?

I very much relate to it. Vintage scents are sometimes time capsules, even though I weren't wearing them (or even born then) when they came out. They are a sort of an escape mechanism. At the psychological core of it is a romanticization. And that's done best in leisure time.

Staff online

Latest News