Oudh Infini reformulated?

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
I have heard from a couple people on Fragrantica and one person here that Oudh Infini has now been reformulated.

Can anyone who has a newer bottle confirmed this? And how different is this new version?

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
Oh no! That would be very sad! I recently got a sample with another purchase but she may have lots of old samples thrown together from old batches. It still smelled great. Don’t know if that really tells us anything though.

Yeah, the samples I have smell exactly like the original. Evidently, though, some people are buying new bottles that are supposedly far less animalic than the first version.

U2u

Jul 26, 2014
Only seen one post so far from a dissatisfied buyer. He gave up after one wearing not giving the product much of a chance. Certainly no need to panic yet. I bought a bottle towards the end of 2019. Same as the several samples I had since it was first released. If reformulated for IFRA compliance it ought to have been done by the time I received mine which was new stock. No reason to reformulate otherwise, given a small house with a fanatical perfumer.

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
Only seen one post so far from a dissatisfied buyer. He gave up after one wearing not giving the product much of a chance. Certainly no need to panic yet. I bought a bottle towards the end of 2019. Same as the several samples I had since it was first released. If reformulated for IFRA compliance it ought to have been done by the time I received mine which was new stock. No reason to reformulate otherwise, given a small house with a fanatical perfumer.

I hope you're right. It was quite the niche hit when it came out, so it would be really sad if it has changed.

U2u

Jul 26, 2014
I hope you're right. It was quite the niche hit when it came out, so it would be really sad if it has changed.

The Fragrantica poster on the reform is the same user name as posted on Basenotes. Oud Infini is my third most worn. I hope if it does change Pissara will be open about it and maybe give fans a chance to get a back up bottle. Her fans deserve that especially since it is the scent that made her brand.

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
The Fragrantica poster on the reform is the same user name as posted on Basenotes. Oud Infini is my third most worn. I hope if it does change Pissara will be open about it and maybe give fans a chance to get a back up bottle. Her fans deserve that especially since it is the scent that made her brand.

Exactly! Especially at that particular price point.

P

piney

If this is true it is such a shame, I have a sample that is heavy in oud and civet and can only imagine it is from an earlier formulation.

rynegne

Jul 25, 2012
I've never tried the two versions and I'm not really sure which one I had when I owned it. It's definitely an Extrait that projects a bit more than others I've owned. It fits somewhere between Slumberhouse and Roja in terms of how it wears for an extrait. Slumberhouse being super heavy and close to the skin and Roja Extraits being a bit heavy but loftier at the same time in terms of more projection.

I got big and luscious...incredible rose from this accompanied by civet and oud. Benzoin in the dry down provided a bit of woody-balsamic-ambery accord. Very nice fragrance, but my wife found the rose feminine-leaning on me which is the only reason I ended up partying ways.

I have another bottle from Dusita, Issara, which I find to be much more toned down than Oudh Infini and much closer to skin. I purchased that one earlier this year.

ben805

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
That's my review on fragantica and also here on basenote. If you're not familiar with Ouds and have never smelled any Hindi/Assam Oud, the Oudh Inifini could very well be still very animalic to majority of the noses out there. scent is subjective anyway, what i perceived as weak it may be too much for your nose, but based on all the older reviews on both youtube and fragrantica, to my nose the new Oudh Infini i received in June 2020 absolutely NOT the animalic beast everyone made it out to be. Out of all the Oud fragrances I own thus far (both designers and niche/artisan, you can check the list on fragrantica) Oudh Infini rank at the rock bottom of my list in animalic and barnyard/fecal potency, as in...the absolute last place.

If you are looking for a steamy dog poop in a can, go for Rania J Oud Assam, you are going to be very satisfied with the animalic and realistic fecal-ness from it, pretty much an atomic diarrhea explosion in your face on that one. But if you're new to Oud, and want something classy, elegant, just a slight hint of filth, then Oudh Infini will do the trick and then some.

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
I would say that that Rania J Oud Assam presents a Barnyard in need of a good scrub and is all Hindi Oud. By no means as raw as some Oud Oils I have nosed that assault the senses with Cheese and Swine filth. Love it for the opening mostly.

To me the Dusita scents as a Dairy of Goat or Sheep that has been scrubbed snd hayed. The Vanilla offers an Orchid-like tail. The Rose de Mai is dreamy and creamy.. The Oud scents much like some clean Organic Oud oils. Love the orchestration which is superb. It is rather ethereal in it's presentation of Rose.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
Yes it’s been reformulated. Without a doubt. I just bought a sample to try and it is a whisper of its former legend. Not worth more than $150 / bottle, like a middle eastern Bleu de Chanel as far as I’m concerned.

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
That's my review on fragantica and also here on basenote. If you're not familiar with Ouds and have never smelled any Hindi/Assam Oud, the Oudh Inifini could very well be still very animalic to majority of the noses out there. scent is subjective anyway, what i perceived as weak it may be too much for your nose, but based on all the older reviews on both youtube and fragrantica, to my nose the new Oudh Infini i received in June 2020 absolutely NOT the animalic beast everyone made it out to be. Out of all the Oud fragrances I own thus far (both designers and niche/artisan, you can check the list on fragrantica) Oudh Infini rank at the rock bottom of my list in animalic and barnyard/fecal potency, as in...the absolute last place.

If you are looking for a steamy dog poop in a can, go for Rania J Oud Assam, you are going to be very satisfied with the animalic and realistic fecal-ness from it, pretty much an atomic diarrhea explosion in your face on that one. But if you're new to Oud, and want something classy, elegant, just a slight hint of filth, then Oudh Infini will do the trick and then some.

So you have not smelled the original?

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
So you smelled the original?

I have not smelled the original. But I have watched and read enough reviews to know 100% definitively that my sample was of a completely different perfume. I think to call it a reformulation would not adequately describe the deviation from the original formulation that many have described as fecal,/ barnyard, and repulsive.

rynegne

Jul 25, 2012
My experience mostly aligns with that of deadidol and purecamel The oud has a bit of funk but I've tried some really really funky ouds so I'm not as inclined to call it overtly barnyard or fecal. I think it's there but more reserved. I think maybe there are some people that have shared reviews here and there that say it's a fecal barnyard grossly oud-forward fragrance but have not experienced any real oud maybe outside of this fragrance or synthetic ouds but who knows.

Some people that experience real oud for the first time are overwhelmed or grossed out but some that have tried oud before might say...hmmm I don't really see it here in all it's funky glory because there's more going on.

I remember reading this about Strangelove NYC...saying it's gross and nasty, smells like poop. When I smelled it I was just enamored by how good the oud was in combination with everything else going on but I could see how those that haven't experienced oud might find it repulsive. Resisting in varying reviews.

ben805

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
So you have not smelled the original?

Like i said in the review, this stuff is weaksauce in the barnyard department, i don't care how and what the old one (original) smell like, all i care about is what i bought, the new one from luckyscent, is no where near the animalic beast it was portrayed to be.

My suggestion to you? go to the store and smell it for yourself, if you're happy with it, buy it from the store, if not, then don't, if you want to roll the dice blind-buying online like some of us do, then be prepare if it isn't what you expected it to be.

ben805

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
My experience mostly aligns with that of deadidol and purecamel The oud has a bit of funk but I've tried some really really funky ouds so I'm not as inclined to call it overtly barnyard or fecal. I think it's there but more reserved. I think maybe there are some people that have shared reviews here and there that say it's a fecal barnyard grossly oud-forward fragrance but have not experienced any real oud maybe outside of this fragrance or synthetic ouds but who knows.

Some people that experience real oud for the first time are overwhelmed or grossed out but some that have tried oud before might say...hmmm I don't really see it here in all it's funky glory because there's more going on.

I remember reading this about Strangelove NYC...saying it's gross and nasty, smells like poop. When I smelled it I was just enamored by how good the oud was in combination with everything else going on but I could see how those that haven't experienced oud might find it repulsive. Resisting in varying reviews.

exactly this.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
There many other accounts of this disparity. We’ve not gone blind to the barn - we know what the barn is, what it looks like, and how it smells. saying that’s it’s been reformulated is doing all other reformulations a disservice. This is like a different fragrance.

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
I am not sure how close to original scent it was, however it was from a Dusita sample initially sent to our ClaireV. My first sniff was mid 2016 of this sample. I remember the initial reaction was Whoa! Memories of a soapy clean Goat or Sheep barn. The Fecal is a Musk that remains after a good cleaning. Mammalian Herbivore stink. Varnishes of Organic clean oud and a stunning Rose bouquets through the centre. Projection seemed much like an Eau de Parfum with a fresh background of a Parfum.
Shortly after that I won a sample give away from a Perfume site. It scented much the same. It only differed in colour. Rather thsn the tint of Aged Bordeaux this sample was Golden straw.
Third sample I ordered directly from Dusita as in a set of 5 including Sillage Blanc La Douceur Siam. This edition returned to the Bordeaux tint and maintained the same scentwise as previous.
The next sample was obtained as part of a split from a well established Basenote Splitter. It maintained the resonance as the original with a little bump up of the Varnish.
The bottle I purchased was last of stock held in a distributor in Canada. As to year of production is a guess sometime in 2018. This scents with a slight bump of Varnish, element of earth, touch of rubber burn and holds closer to the skin, however blooms Rose as the original.
All retain the beautiful butter of quality Sandal and Rose.
Qualifier I place more value to structure and less to Projection performance.

rynegne

Jul 25, 2012
Not discounting you, personally...I know you've smelled the real stuff! However, there are so many people that discard real oud immediately if they haven't smelled it. I was thinking, this could account for the variance in reviews. Personally, that's been my experience with several fragrances, Strangelove NYC and Malles The Night in particular. I was like... What are these people talking about? This smells amazing. Reviews said it was rank, shit, animalic, barnyard
Again, it's a matter of experience and subjectivity as it's how you experience a fragrance yourself. Just trying to see why this might be represented in various ways.

There many other accounts of this disparity. We’ve not gone blind to the barn - we know what the barn is, what it looks like, and how it smells. saying that’s it’s been reformulated is doing all other reformulations a disservice. This is like a different fragrance.

U2u

Jul 26, 2014
The bottle I purchased was last of stock held in a distributor in Canada. As to year of production is a guess sometime in 2018.

By chance are you the one who scored the last bottle when he had the 30% off sale?
I just missed it and believe I got the first of the next batch.
Some very good points being made in this thread. Maybe some batch numbers would reveal a pattern tying in with the various reports?

MrPod

Jan 10, 2018
I tried a few sprays in Les Senteurs a couple of years ago when I was looking for another Oud Perfume, and was very impressed at the Oud. I ended up with Stragelove's Deadofnight at the time. But I revisited it at the start of the year, as I remembered it as a lovely animalic oud. Went down to Les Senteurs and tried a few sprays again just to make sure. I couldn't believe I had been so impressed first time around. A very tame oud, hardly animalic at all, and very soft. I thought I must have been less accustomed to oud first time around - but a reformulation makes much more sense.

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
Like i said in the review, this stuff is weaksauce in the barnyard department, i don't care how and what the old one (original) smell like, all i care about is what i bought, the new one from luckyscent, is no where near the animalic beast it was portrayed to be.

My suggestion to you? go to the store and smell it for yourself, if you're happy with it, buy it from the store, if not, then don't, if you want to roll the dice blind-buying online like some of us do, then be prepare if it isn't what you expected it to be.

I have tried it. My point is just that it is probably not the best idea to claim that a scent has been reformulated it you have never smelled an earlier version.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019

Yes it’s been reformulated. Without a doubt. I just bought a sample to try and it is a whisper of its former legend. Not worth more than $150 / bottle, like a middle eastern Bleu de Chanel as far as I’m concerned.

I have not smelled the original. But I have watched and read enough reviews to know 100% definitively that my sample was of a completely different perfume. I think to call it a reformulation would not adequately describe the deviation from the original formulation that many have described as fecal,/ barnyard, and repulsive.

I think this one is a bit strange, I've found it quite beautiful and balanced since the first time I tried it, but my partner finds it absolutely horrifying. She thinks it's way more revolting than Oud Assam, which we both find quite sweet with a little Hindi kick. So, this one is really different from person to person. If you haven't smelled both, it's hard to swear that it's been reformulated. I think Starblind already loves it(as I do) and wants to know if it has been changed-- not if we consider it hardcore.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
I think Starblind already loves it(as I do) and wants to know if it has been changed-- not if we consider it hardcore.

Alright, here’s the definitive solution.
One of you can volunteer to order a sample and let the rest of us know definitively if it’s been reformulated a little, a lot, or if it’s the same exact fragrance.

I bought my sample from the following website for $5 + $5 shipping and got it delivered in 4 business days.
https://indigoperfumery.com/products/oudh-infini-by-dusita?_pos=1&_sid=e5cced628&_ss=r

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
Alright, here’s the definitive solution.
One of you can volunteer to order a sample and let the rest of us know definitively if it’s been reformulated a little, a lot, or if it’s the same exact fragrance.

I bought my sample from the following website for $5 + $5 shipping and got it delivered in 4 business days.
https://indigoperfumery.com/products/oudh-infini-by-dusita?_pos=1&_sid=e5cced628&_ss=r

Well, I have a sample of the older version and have a bottle that was recently made coming in the mail, so we will soon see.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
Well, I have a sample of the older version and have a bottle that was recently made coming in the mail, so we will soon see.

That sounds good. Please do let us know.

I do hope that your bottle is to your liking regardless of its formulation since that’s a lot of money to drop on a fragrance just to receive something other than what you sampled.

P

piney

Not discounting you, personally...I know you've smelled the real stuff! However, there are so many people that discard real oud immediately if they haven't smelled it. I was thinking, this could account for the variance in reviews. Personally, that's been my experience with several fragrances, Strangelove NYC and Malles The Night in particular. I was like... What are these people talking about? This smells amazing. Reviews said it was rank, shit, animalic, barnyard
Again, it's a matter of experience and subjectivity as it's how you experience a fragrance yourself. Just trying to see why this might be represented in various ways.

+1, Completely agree with what you've said rynegne

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
I did find a much older sample in a box from before I had a small bottle of Oudh Infini. Looks like the vial AND label WAS actually different. Sprayed one sample on one arm, one on the other. I can’t be positive that these are different batches or that the fragrance hasn’t been reformulated since my newer samples. BUT they both have that characteristic high-pitched medicinal oud//civet//rose opening that always makes me see ultraviolet light in my mind. Neither side seems very skanky— as it usually doesn’t seem that way to me, I’m not surprised. I can’t comment on the performance since the sillage/projection, which is good(wafting around when I move, lingering in my small bedroom), could be coming from either arm. Longevity test isn’t fair either since my arms eat perfumes at much different rates. I hope this is a good sign for your bottle, Starblind!

Latest News