Original Creed Viking

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
My question is simple.

To buy it or not buy it while good deals are to be had on the original formulation. I tested the orange bottled reformulated version this week and am currently wearing the older red bottled formula. It's a night and day difference. The orange bottle does not seem as spicy and does not seem to project or have quite the longevity as the red bottled formula. Now, should I blow a portion of my scent budget for the year on a large bottle of the original or not. That's the real question. At 224+ tax it seems like steal.

Thoughts?

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Only you can deduce which one (if any) is truly worth splashing out on and that depends on many factors (some of them personal to you) that we couldn't possibly know.

For me personally, I have a long standing history with Terre d'Hermes. Viking Cologne in the orange bottle gave me a very similar feeling to Terre when I first smelled it not long after it came out. Given that Terre has been toned down since, I had to get Viking Cologne.

I do like the spices and the original Viking is definitely a good scent. From heart to dry down it is enjoyable to me. But that opening spoils it for me with the pseudo-eucalyptus mothballs accord. It would otherwise be a great fragrance in my books.

As with everything, your mileage may vary.

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
Only you can deduce which one (if any) is truly worth splashing out on and that depends on many factors (some of them personal to you) that we couldn't possibly know.

For me personally, I have a long standing history with Terre d'Hermes. Viking Cologne in the orange bottle gave me a very similar feeling to Terre when I first smelled it not long after it came out. Given that Terre has been toned down since, I had to get Viking Cologne.

I do like the spices and the original Viking is definitely a good scent. From heart to dry down it is enjoyable to me. But that opening spoils it for me with the pseudo-eucalyptus mothballs accord. It would otherwise be a great fragrance in my books.

As with everything, your mileage may vary.

I'm also a fan of TDH, I wear quite a bit of the Eau Intense Vetiver but something about the Viking is intriguing. My though with higher end colognes/perfumes is the price really worth the performance though? Then again, what's a few bucks more over what I spend on bottles of TDH.

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
Viking is great, go for it. I haven’t tried Viking Cologne.

I'm not sure what it is that I like about it, more so I love that it seems to go well with days like today, slightly overcast, mid 40's, gentle breeze and about to head out to go fly fishing. I used a sampler that I picked up from the mall a few weeks ago. I also noticed that my German pointers whiffed me down good when I sat to put my shoes on. They don't normally do that with most colognes. The wife seems to like it as well, so that's a plus. I won't wear anything that she doesn't like.

OldSchoolScents

Jun 7, 2019
Now, should I blow a portion of my scent budget for the year on a large bottle of the original or not. That's the real question. At 224+ tax it seems like steal.

Viking is one of my absolute favourite scents, a retro inspired spicy and minty fougere that shines best in the spring but works great in any season and for any occasion. With Creed prices skyrocketing I'd recommend picking it up at this price. I paid $290 Canadian for my bottle and less than a week later the site jacked up the price to $399. It's worth the 290 for sure, 400 not so much.

BTW I believe the difference in bottle colour you're talking about is actually a different fragrance all-together, Viking Cologne. Never smelled it so I can't say whether it is worth it's price tag, but the OG Viking sure is

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
My only worry now is making sure I am getting a legitimate bottle. The price spooks me a bit, but fragrancenet seems to be legitimate according to reviews on here.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
I couldn't help it, I broke down and bought it :embarassed:

If you really enjoy Viking then you should not regret it. I think it's a great fragrance. The spicy opening/mid are fantastic and that advanced (6-hours in) woody dry down with the faint aquatic and light mint is very enjoyable. I am going to fit Viking into a few of my Fall days.

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
If you really enjoyed the scent when sampling it then you it's likely you'll still enjoy it when you have the bottle.

I've tested the original a few times and always loved it, but the price at department stores with their markup is just insane. But realizing I could get it way cheaper online from a legitimate source, that's a game changer for me!

OldSchoolScents

Jun 7, 2019
My only worry now is making sure I am getting a legitimate bottle. The price spooks me a bit, but fragrancenet seems to be legitimate according to reviews on here.

You bought it from fragrancenet? You are definitely good then, they are legit. A bit pricey for me to ship up to Canada, but I order from them from time to time and never received anything remotely questionable. They are a favourite among the American members of this board. Enjoy!

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
2017 Viking, now 4 years old. My bottle has definitely shifted in its tones. The scent now has a perceptible "airy cinnamon" and the effect smells like like similar to what Jean Claude-Elena did with orange in Terre d'Hermes (ie, in how the scent is not 'direct' but rather hangs in the air and is more of a "sillage" than something you smell "up close"). The woods are more pronounced in the dry down. The mint is more green. IMO, don't be surprised if the 2017 Viking bottles become massively sought after as the sauce is now marinated in the bottle long enough to do what Creed scents are famous for. Creed fragrances are best known for their penchant to "improve with age".

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
I don't see the note similarities with Terre d'Hermes, but I supposed in the feel of it, Viking edt may feel similar but I think the notes are very different. I get a weird candy cane vibe with Viking, but I enjoy it.

I know it sounds confusing, but here is a more thorough explanation. The "orange" note (as well as other notes) in Terre d'Hermes fragrances are not "solid", but rather they are "in the air". When you smell TdH up close it's not the same as when you catch the sillage "in the air". In regards to Viking, the CINNAMON (and really only the cinnamon that I can tell) has that same kind of "effect" where it's not something you really can correctly smell up-close, but rather you catch it "in the air" and it's got an ethereal type of thing going on.

When I first got the fragrance in 2017 and after like 3 and a half years, I didn't really pick up the cinnamon.....but after it has aged, I can smell the cinnamon and it's highly interesting how that note is presented. It's got that Jean Claude-Elena "in-the-air-effect" to it. Thin, see-through, veiled, like a transparent mist would be to the eyes. I hope that makes more sense. Surely, the notes don't smell even remotely similar.

Latest posts

Latest News