oriental vs. occidental what's all this about ?

Kagey

Jan 2, 2011
Not sure what you mean. 'Oriental' is a style of perfume, along with 'chypre,' 'fougere,' etc. Never heard 'occidental' used in the context of perfume.

Or did you mean something else?

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Occidental is indeed no category named like this, as opposed to Oriental, but the "traditional" limitations between fragrances from these apparently separate, distinct regions, provenances, style etc. tend to become-or so I noticed-increasingly more blurred (as one fragrance category starts to increasingly resemble the specifics, features, notes of the other and also the other way around)

zeniba

Jul 15, 2014
Oriental is a family of fragrances, which are generally rich and warm, often with spices, incense, vanilla, woods like sandalwood. It is not Eastern perfumery, but more like a fantasy version of the East for Westerners. I assumed the term came around the same time as Shalimar, the 1920's, so think of French women in turbans or kimono amd smoking from a hookah but not actual Asian (including Turkish, Arab, Persian here as well as Indian, Chinese, etc) perfume. Eastern perfumers do produce these oriental fragrances, but the oriental family is technically Western perfumery. Now when Western perfumers want to make "Eastern" perfumes they make oud/rose/incense fragrances

Last edited:

snifsnif

Aug 2, 2015
Well I saw on the rasasi site that they split Oriental and Occidental perfume category. Occidental being western and Oriental being eastern.

Oriental was said to be intense.

Last edited:

Kagey

Jan 2, 2011
That's interesting, and now I understand. Yes, by 'Oriental' they're talking about the Middle East, and by 'Occidental' it looks like they're talking about everything else/Western fragrances. I've noticed that in the US, Oriental usually refers to China and the Far East, whereas in other countries it refers to the Middle East, and that can be confusing.

cornishlee

Jul 27, 2015
Well I saw on the rasasi site that they split Oriental and Occidental perfume category. Occidental being western and Oriental being eastern.

Oriental was said to be intense.

You've answered your own question there then. Oriental, as others have said, does have a specific use as a term for a type of fragrance in Western perfumery but the website your looking at is not using it this way. Occident and Orient (thus, occidental and oriental) are antiquated words for West (Europe/Occident) and East (Asia/Orient) and that seems to be how they're being used on the website you're looking at.

Darjeeling

Oct 29, 2012
That's interesting, and now I understand. Yes, by 'Oriental' they're talking about the Middle East, and by 'Occidental' it looks like they're talking about everything else/Western fragrances. I've noticed that in the US, Oriental usually refers to China and the Far East, whereas in other countries it refers to the Middle East, and that can be confusing.
As far as I know oriental means the Asia and the definition usually has that starting from Turkey. Think the Oriental Express. It's also how soccer federations are split up, although Israel gets to be part of Europe for political reasons. I think this is quite old fashioned and in Australia the perspective is similar to the US, with the Middle East referred to as that rather than Asia.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
First time I hear these categorization - it is Rasasi's own evidently. Hard to say what they mean exactly from the webpage, I assume their "oriental" mean following traditional arabian combinations like woods-rose-spices, and occidental inferior fresh or fruity stuff. but who knows.

cacio

snifsnif

Aug 2, 2015
beautyspin sells Rasasi fragrances as "oriental" but something that's also "Middle Eastern" like Amouage, isn't sold as "oriental", I don't know why, maybe because Amouage has more of a European vibe to it?

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Indeed, Amouage is created by western perfumers and now makes perfumes in most styles. But, as usual, marketing is just that, every website evidently decides to market things one way or the other.

cacio

Latest News