On the hunt for more Chypre fragrances

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I'm seconding Narciso Rodriguez For Her - both EDT (Black bottle, pink box, slightly more woody, more orange blossom and osmanthus over the musks, slightly more unisex leaning yet still feminine) and EDP (pink bottle black box, more rosy, more fruity, more girly) are great. Also do try other fragrances in the line - you might enjoy them too.

Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely is a very lovely and also affordable take on a musky-floral modern chypre.

If you can find it, do try Bottega Veneta and Bottega Veneta Legere by Bottega Veneta - it's an excellent plummy-suede-y modern fruity-leathery chypre. Legere is of course airier and lighter, less leathery, and the EDP is denser, richer.

Another possible goodie for you could be La Panthere by Cartier. EDP is slightly mossier, deeper, and EDT/legere is airier and fruitier (they both have that lovely fruity-mossy-white wine like accord that's both dry and juicy at the same time). It's elegant, grown up, slightly deep, yet fun.

Do try Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur too - it's very unique rosy musky boudoir like scent.

You have probably already tried Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel, right? You might want to look up the Intense version.

Also Shiseido Zen - it's similar to Coco Mad but slightly less worn thus maybe more interesting at this point?

You were suggested quite a lot of classic chypre fragrances - but keep in mind that classic chypres and modern chypres that you enjoy are very, very different. It's possible to love both styles, but it's common to love just one and despise the other. However, do try the classics - you might find a beautiful gem. For classics, I would look up Magie Noire by Lancome first as it's sweeter, slightly plummy-chocolaty, sexier, not musty at all and also much more modern smelling than the usual classic chypre fare.

Last edited:

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
You have been given some excellent recs so far that cover both the classics and the more modern chypres including the pink chypres that were created when the oakmoss bans first happened so they rely on a patchouli based accord to give a modern chypre feel to perfumes. There are now new moss notes that met the IFRA requirements so some of the newer modern chypres do have some oakmoss/moss notes in them.

I agree with @ClockworkAlice There is differences between classic chypres and the modern ones. The classics tend to have a musty aroma to them. Just a disclaimer: I like the old school chypre smell but prefer a clearer undertone instead of a musty one so my first two recs reflect that....

I will second the Doe in the Snow by 4160 Tuesdays rec, it is a newer chypre scent that leans towards old school chypre but also has a slight modern feel to it. Doesn't goes musty on me like most of the classic chypres. It does have oakmoss in it.

Tiare by Ormonde Jayne is actually a citrus/floral chypre scent that doesn't have the musty undertone but feels more closer to the classic chypre aroma. It does have some moss in it with the patchouli.

I'll also mention Narciso Rodriguez For Her in the EDP (pink bottle) it is a modern pink chypre. Other pink chypres are Lovely by SJP and Gucci by Gucci EDP which was released in 2007 (very different perfume than the original Gucci EDP). The NR for Her EDT (black bottle) is excellent but it veers toward being more of a straight floral musk scent than that of a modern chypre aroma. These have patchouli but no moss.

Another that has a modern floral chypre feel to it is Idylle EDP by Guerlain. I had the original 2009 version so I'm not sure if the current new version is still close the original formula. No moss just patchouli. Someone else may be able to chime in on what the current version smells like?

Edit: I forgot to second the rec for Bottega Veneta, it is a favourite of mine.

CharonLRdraws

Basenotes Member
Jun 19, 2022
I'm seconding Narciso Rodriguez For Her - both EDT (Black bottle, pink box, slightly more woody, more orange blossom and osmanthus over the musks, slightly more unisex leaning yet still feminine) and EDP (pink bottle black box, more rosy, more fruity, more girly) are great. Also do try other fragrances in the line - you might enjoy them too.

Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely is a very lovely and also affordable take on a musky-floral modern chypre.

If you can find it, do try Bottega Veneta and Bottega Veneta Legere by Bottega Veneta - it's an excellent plummy-suede-y modern fruity-leathery chypre. Legere is of course airier and lighter, less leathery, and the EDP is denser, richer.

Another possible goodie for you could be La Panthere by Cartier. EDP is slightly mossier, deeper, and EDT/legere is airier and fruitier (they both have that lovely fruity-mossy-white wine like accord that's both dry and juicy at the same time). It's elegant, grown up, slightly deep, yet fun.

Do try Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur too - it's very unique rosy musky boudoir like scent.

You have probably already tried Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel, right? You might want to look up the Intense version.

Also Shiseido Zen - it's similar to Coco Mad but slightly less worn thus maybe more interesting at this point?

You were suggested quite a lot of classic chypre fragrances - but keep in mind that classic chypres and modern chypres that you enjoy are very, very different. It's possible to love both styles, but it's common to love just one and despise the other. However, do try the classics - you might find a beautiful gem. For classics, I would look up Magie Noire by Lancome first as it's sweeter, slightly plummy-chocolaty, sexier, not musty at all and also much more modern smelling than the usual classic chypre fare.
Thanks for describing your recommendations, really helps a lot and I already own both Coco Mademoiselle and the intense version bought them years ago and love them and funny you should mention Agent Provocateur got that one too. I'll look into the others and RIP my wishlist.

CharonLRdraws

Basenotes Member
Jun 19, 2022
You have been given some excellent recs so far that cover both the classics and the more modern chypres including the pink chypres that were created when the oakmoss bans first happened so they rely on a patchouli based accord to give a modern chypre feel to perfumes. There are now new moss notes that met the IFRA requirements so some of the newer modern chypres do have some oakmoss/moss notes in them.

I agree with @ClockworkAlice There is differences between classic chypres and the modern ones. The classics tend to have a musty aroma to them. Just a disclaimer: I like the old school chypre smell but prefer a clearer undertone instead of a musty one so my first two recs reflect that....

I will second the Doe in the Snow by 4160 Tuesdays rec, it is a newer chypre scent that leans towards old school chypre but also has a slight modern feel to it. Doesn't goes musty on me like most of the classic chypres. It does have oakmoss in it.

Tiare by Ormonde Jayne is actually a citrus/floral chypre scent that doesn't have the musty undertone but feels more closer to the classic chypre aroma. It does have some moss in it with the patchouli.

I'll also mention Narciso Rodriguez For Her in the EDP (pink bottle) it is a modern pink chypre. Other pink chypres are Lovely by SJP and Gucci by Gucci EDP which was released in 2007 (very different perfume than the original Gucci EDP). The NR for Her EDT (black bottle) is excellent but it veers toward being more of a straight floral musk scent than that of a modern chypre aroma. These have patchouli but no moss.

Another that has a modern floral chypre feel to it is Idylle EDP by Guerlain. I had the original 2009 version so I'm not sure if the current new version is still close the original formula. No moss just patchouli. Someone else may be able to chime in on what the current version smells like?

Edit: I forgot to second the rec for Bottega Veneta, it is a favourite of mine.
It really helps when I have people describe the fragrances they recommend and thank you for your recommendations.

And I'm now realising I sound like a broken record.

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Just applied some NR for Her EDT (black bottle) and it does have a very modern chypre aroma when I first spray it on but then it quickly turns into a floral musk scent on me. My skin really amplifies musk notes so it could be just me that reads it as more EgyptIan musk than chypre.

CharonLRdraws

Basenotes Member
Jun 19, 2022
Just applied some NR for Her EDT (black bottle) and it does have a very modern chypre aroma when I first spray it on but then it quickly turns into a floral musk scent on me. My skin really amplifies musk notes so it could be just me that reads it as more EgyptIan musk than chypre.
I've heard in the great-vine NR is very good with musks, I'll have to test it myself see what happens I know that skin chemistry plays a vital part in how fragrances react.

Rodolfo

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 2, 2008
I must admit that in recent years I have been more focused on vintage fragrances than new ones, so my suggestions are vintage, I'm sorry if it's an inconvenience. But I would like to add:
Cabochard de Gres
Miss Balmain de Balmain
1000 Patou
Givenchy III
Guerlain Sous Le Vent

CharonLRdraws

Basenotes Member
Jun 19, 2022
Henry Jacques Merveilleuse de HJ, Naylor is running a split currently. This is a grail chypre, so so good.
I must admit that in recent years I have been more focused on vintage fragrances than new ones, so my suggestions are vintage, I'm sorry if it's an inconvenience. But I would like to add:
Cabochard de Gres
Miss Balmain de Balmain
1000 Patou
Givenchy III
Guerlain Sous Le Vent
Sous Le Vent is one of my all time favorites. Unfortunately it's difficult to find.
Finally worked out how to mass-reply, I only started collecting fragrances seriously in my late 20s so some of this stuff is still new to me and honestly these recommendations have been enlightening.

Latest News