Ombré nomade help please

Dec 19, 2021
I was wondering if anybody could help me. I purchased a bottle of Louis Vuitton ombré nomade today.

The bottle I smelt in the store was beautiful and from the first spray I could really get all of the notes.

Unfortunately when I got my bottle home and sprayed it smelt very bitter and almost like alcohol.

Do you think it’s maybe gone off? What would you recommend I do.

Thank you.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
I'm of the opinion that some brands, some of the time, tend to use slightly different (better) versions of their fragrances when selling samples, or when using testers. This was an assessment I had long before I was involved in the online world of fragrance and it came from my own experience sampling, trying, and owning different fragrances - long before I knew batch variation was even a possibility.

For the most part, the differences are minor enough to be little more than a slight annoyance. Time often heals: it may be that you forget the one in the store and come to recognise the fragrance you have as just as wonderful. Or, as mentioned, it may be that maceration helps your fragrance to settle, and once you get several ml in to the bottle, it wears exactly the same as the tester bottle.

Time is your friend here. On the other hand, if you didn't buy this directly from Louis Vuitton, you would do well to consider the prospect that it is fake as these are very highly valued fragrances that have very convincing fakes (they are also refilled by scammers). There are some brands that are worth risking a purchase on ebay etc., and some where it's simply not: LV is one where I would advise you only buy directly from the official shop.

Hope this helps. It can be annoying to feel let down by a fragrance when you spend a lot of money on it and I agree that Ombre Nomade is a beautiful fragrance. My sample has changed over time, however, as it is extremely high in oil concentration (the liquid is now a thick, atomic pink-red colour) so I would suggest that it will probably improve as the bottle 'opens up', so to speak.

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Assuming it was purchased from an authorized dealer, sometimes with a new bottle alcohol fumes can fill the space on top and when the bottle is opened are the first thing to escape. If that is the case, the perfume should be okay after a few spritzes.

Dec 19, 2021
I'm of the opinion that some brands, some of the time, tend to use slightly different (better) versions of their fragrances when selling samples, or when using testers. This was an assessment I had long before I was involved in the online world of fragrance and it came from my own experience sampling, trying, and owning different fragrances - long before I knew batch variation was even a possibility.

For the most part, the differences are minor enough to be little more than a slight annoyance. Time often heals: it may be that you forget the one in the store and come to recognise the fragrance you have as just as wonderful. Or, as mentioned, it may be that maceration helps your fragrance to settle, and once you get several ml in to the bottle, it wears exactly the same as the tester bottle.

Time is your friend here. On the other hand, if you didn't buy this directly from Louis Vuitton, you would do well to consider the prospect that it is fake as these are very highly valued fragrances that have very convincing fakes (they are also refilled by scammers). There are some brands that are worth risking a purchase on ebay etc., and some where it's simply not: LV is one where I would advise you only buy directly from the official shop.

Hope this helps. It can be annoying to feel let down by a fragrance when you spend a lot of money on it and I agree that Ombre Nomade is a beautiful fragrance. My sample has changed over time, however, as it is extremely high in oil concentration (the liquid is now a thick, atomic pink-red colour) so I would suggest that it will probably improve as the bottle 'opens up', so to speak.
Thank you for your response.

I purchased it from the LV store so I’m pretty sure it’s authentic. I was more just worried if it was an old bottle or something. Hopefully as you say it will change over time

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Thank you for your response.

I purchased it from the LV store so I’m pretty sure it’s authentic. I was more just worried if it was an old bottle or something. Hopefully as you say it will change over time
Yeah you should be fine. If in doubt, you could always go back with your receipt and ask for their help. They may offer to exchange the bottle - for the price of Ombre Nomade, I would expect top customer service!

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
At the risk of sounding stupid… what is reformulation?
Basically, after a scent has launched and been selling a couple of years, there is some thought that perfumers tinker with the original formula/ingredients. Sometimes due to regulation changes, but often thought to be to reduce the cost of producing the fragrance and thus increasing profit.

I've been a Basenoter long enough to have some doubts about how rampant and frequent these "reformulations" really are, especially on scents that are only a few years old like Ombre Nomade.

I think it easy to romanticize our first experiences with a frag we love. Green Irish Tweed will NEVER smell to me as good as it did the first time I wore it. If you gave me back the acutal first bottle I bought in 1996, it would not smell the same in my mind.

But I've also been a perfume consumer long enough to have experienced some changes to favorites scents as well.

Personally, I don't think it has been reformulated.

I'm guessing you are fairly new to pricey fragrance purchases and you may have some jitters.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
Basically, after a scent has launched and been selling a couple of years, there is some thought that perfumers tinker with the original formula/ingredients. Sometimes due to regulation changes, but often thought to be to reduce the cost of producing the fragrance and thus increasing profit.
Succinct explanation!

thescentguru

Basenotes Junkie
May 12, 2019
If after a day or so and a few wearings it's not working out for you, the LV boutique will exchange or refund if you ask. I had a similar issue with Les Sables Roses, I love the scent, amazing scent but unfortunately it didn't work for my skin at all, it was a skin scent in minutes on me.

parfumeur081

Basenotes Member
Apr 16, 2016
Any feedback on the performance?

I sampled it few days ago in the LV boutique (4 sprays). It is a strong and projecting fragrance, but not a beast mode as I've expected. Some of the fragrances I've sprayed recently stayed on my skin much longer (Fetish, Enigma Cologne, Ganymede, DHP, BR540 etc).

Also, it is similar to my vintage Tuscan Leather. I was thinking to purchase the ON as a backup for the TL, but the performance on my skin wasn't as beastly as the people say.

Dec 19, 2021
The other posters were correct in their predictions of it improving.

It’s very very good. The projection is huge and you can smell it on clothes for literally a week +

I guess if might be different for everyone but on my skin it performs all day long

parfumeur081

Basenotes Member
Apr 16, 2016

If the juice inside is the cheapest part of the whole package (bottle, presentation, marketing, transport, boutique etc), why would they save on the juice? Except because of IFRA or if you are using some very rare ingredients.

Some of the parfumers talked about that. After everything is calculated, cost of the juice is bellow 5%. But the juice is the most important part for the customer at the end. Who cares about packaging and other things when he or she sprays the fragrance.

Just my 2 cents.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
The other posters were correct in their predictions of it improving.

It’s very very good. The projection is huge and you can smell it on clothes for literally a week +

I guess if might be different for everyone but on my skin it performs all day long
Glad to hear this. It is an extremely strong fragrance. I think 30-50ml would suffice for a bottle as I think this is a wonderful romantic fragrance that ought to be worn with purpose (not day to day). And 1-2 sprays is absolutely plenty. It's one of the best designer fragrances I've tried, in all honesty, and with maceration it will likely continue to develop and become more rich and potent for you (I think this is heavy on the oil as it leaves quite a greasy sheen on me whenever I apply it). Enjoy it. (y)

If the juice inside is the cheapest part of the whole package (bottle, presentation, marketing, transport, boutique etc), why would they save on the juice? Except because of IFRA or if you are using some very rare ingredients.

Some of the parfumers talked about that. After everything is calculated, cost of the juice is bellow 5%.
How are you costing this? Perfumery may be hugely profitable but, no offence, this doesn't really make sense. The margins come across as very 'bro maths'. 5% of what cost?

Of course brands will "save on juice", whether that means cheaper ingredients or simply decreasing the perfume oils in the blend.

ultravisitor

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 4, 2014
Any feedback on the performance?

I sampled it few days ago in the LV boutique (4 sprays). It is a strong and projecting fragrance, but not a beast mode as I've expected. Some of the fragrances I've sprayed recently stayed on my skin much longer (Fetish, Enigma Cologne, Ganymede, DHP, BR540 etc).
I've always felt that the talk about Ombre Nomade's performance is a bit overstated. Yes, it opens very strongly, but it does die down a bit after a while. However, in terms of longevity, it hangs around F O R E V E R. I've worn shirts once while wearing Ombre Nomade, put them in the wash weeks later, and then when I take them out of the dryer, they STILL smell like Ombre Nomade.

Ombre Nomade is no shrinking violet when it comes to longevity. Four sprays of it is kind of a lot. It’s definitely loss that you’re suffering from olfactory blindness.

parfumeur081

Basenotes Member
Apr 16, 2016
How are you costing this? Perfumery may be hugely profitable but, no offence, this doesn't really make sense. The margins come across as very 'bro maths'. 5% of what cost?

Of course brands will "save on juice", whether that means cheaper ingredients or simply decreasing the perfume oils in the blend.
As I already said, perfumers were speaking about the cost of juice. Just to mention some - Andy Tauer and Aaron Terence Hughes. And these are "small quantities" in xomparasion with Louis Vuitton for example.

LV has better access to raw materials. Due to huge volume, price is lower. And they have their boutiques. Distribution and shops have their margin at around 60-70%. And for 30%, you have to do everything else (juice, packaging etc.).

Meaning that there is no way that LV will tell save money on juice. Except there is an IFRA regulation, or some ingredient has become unavailable.

Smaller perfumers also don't want to reformulate juice to save costs. Because they risk to lose their customers. They have to fight for each of them.

Also, lowering the level of perfume oil in fragrance means they have to put it on the bottle. Like Parfums de Marly. Otherwise, it is a crime I believe.

GUERLAIN

Basenotes Member
Jan 18, 2022
I was wondering if anybody could help me. I purchased a bottle of Louis Vuitton ombré nomade today.

The bottle I smelt in the store was beautiful and from the first spray I could really get all of the notes.

Unfortunately when I got my bottle home and sprayed it smelt very bitter and almost like alcohol.

Thank you.

It's interesting that you purchased it from the store but when you try it at home it smells completely different... Had you ordered an authentic LV online you would probably have argued that it was 'fake'!
The reason I think the perfume smells so different at home is because in the store people try to many perfumes and you actually have a combination of them lingering in the air.

ozzazi

Dec 17, 2022

Thank you.

Did your problem got solved? I just bought the fragrance 2 days ago original from the lv store but I got the same issue. After 2 or max 3 hours The smell is gone!

Dec 19, 2021
Did your problem got solved? I just bought the fragrance 2 days ago original from the lv store but I got the same issue. After 2 or max 3 hours The smell is gone!
Yeah the problem totally sorted itself out. After a few weeks. It’s by far my best performing fragrance

ozzazi

Dec 17, 2022
Okay I am glad to hear that for you buddy. Was the fragrance also a little bit weak / less performing in the beginning for you? I got the same issue. I might give it some time as well

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
I doubt there is a difference in formula of the store test bottle and the brand new one you bought. The test bottles in stores have been sitting out on display for a year or more with bright lights warming them up and with each spray the perfume inside the bottle matures and rounds out as the juice mixes with air and yes they smell fuller and richer than the new ones. After you have had your bottle in use and sitting out it will warm up and smell more like the test spray. I can't prove this idea but it is what I have observed.

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
Air from the atmosphere is pushed into the perfume bottle to force the spray out. Over time this air mixes with the perfume and the bottle will smell different from the brand new sealed off bottles of perfume. The location of the atmosphere air is also a factor in how the scent will evolve. Ocean air like what would be mixed into the sprayer at the Louis Vuitton shops next to the beach on Kaanapali Beach will more ozone and salt air than the atmosphere of the store in Dallas. Also a fragrance like Ombre Nomade has several very pungent notes that change in the development of the fragrance. Give it time and it will evolve.

Cryodus

Basenotes Member
Mar 20, 2020
Hi, have you found that your ombre nomade has improved with time? I got mine last week and the performance has been substandard so far.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...

pp