Office & Work Scents: what do basenoters *actually* wear to work?

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
The trope of the 'office scent' is seemingly integral to the 'fragcomm wardrobe'. However it started, whenever it became what it currently is, irrespective of whether one works in an office or not, it's also one of the few fragrance 'types' than everyone has a functional application for. From Youtuber Top 10 videos, to paid-for blog posts, I'd go as far to say that the 'office scent' is one of the most mythologised and profitable genres as a result; in part due to the changing nature of work (particularly in the era of covid) and the complete overhaul of men's role in the economy producing uncertainty and aspiration in men, which can be related back to the purpose and need for fragrance itself in a work setting.

However, I'm interested to read what everyone actually wears to work. Feel free to share as much or as little as you like about the fragrance(s), why you choose to wear it, how well it fits your work etc.

Obviously most people here have a rotation of fragrances and so there won't be just one particular answer for some of you. No doubt a lot of answers will be 'I wear whatever I like' or 'I wear samples'. Which is great, I understand that, but I'm probably looking to direct this more towards those who have settled on something of a work-specific scent(s). I'm intrigued to see what fragrance enthusiasts choose for a variety of reasons. I think it's interesting to see how the balance between ideas of quality, individualism and so on are compromised for professional acceptability, politeness, and so on - if there is any compromise at all.

So, please share the fragrance(s) you wear or have worn during your working life. :dankk2:

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
Since Covid, I work from home now and will be for the foreseeable future. I did wear a variety back when I went to a physical office. I guess the closest thing now is when I go to the doctor's/dentist's office. That scent is always Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDP.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
So, please share the fragrance(s) you wear or have worn during your working life. :dankk2:
When I was actively involved in the day to day business in my company, I would wear whatever I chose in the morning, but a favorite was Burberry London.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
Ralph Lauren Polo
Azzaro Pour Homme
Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
Cartier Pasha De Cartier Parfum

Usually rotate these for work I have a few I’m going to start using again for work, versatile grabs are my favorite since they just work I like the occasional challenging fragrances too depends on the mood but I never smell cheap that’s for sure LOL!

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
I like to wear quality crowd pleasers that aren't too project-y.
On my return this Fall, it will be:
Creed MI and GIT
LV L'Immensite
MFK Amyris Homme
Xerjoff Mefisto Gentiluomo

That said, I think Bvlgari Pour Homme and YSL L'Homme are THE office scents, and I wore them for ages.

Darvant

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2010
Battistoni Marte, Guerlain Heritage, John Varvados Vintage, Acqua di Portofino Notte, Valentino Vendetta, Aramis JHL.

emtee

Jun 4, 2018
I tend to wear the fragrances in my collection that are least likely to offend others around me as I don’t want to be that guy that chokes out his coworkers with Interlude etc

So I go for things like GiT, Original Vetiver, Colonia, Royal Mayfair, Guerlain Vetiver etc and 1-2 sprays max. Generally fairly fresh and clean smelling I suppose.

If I’m WFH then I’ll wear whatever I want but try to give my less safe scents an outing seeing as I don’t need to consider others. So maybe something like Gucci Guilty Absolute, Polo, Antaeus or Royal Oud

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
Any scent in my collection, as long as the application amount is appropriate for the setting.

This is along my own thinking and been happy to wear almost any of my fragrances with mindful adjustments. A favourite
with fond memories was Chic For Men. These days from Viking to Armani Attitude to Ombre Leather and eveything in between.

Rinx7

Mar 14, 2021
I haven't been to the office in a year, but fougeres (outside of some of the 80's powerhouse fougere + animalic hybrids like Kouros or Balenciaga Pour Homme), fruity chypres, classic eau colognes, and vetiver scents are all pretty office safe I think. If you live in cold dry climates you can even get away with some heavier smoky/leathery scents in the winter/fall. On a typical day though I do ~2 sprays of one of the following:

- Aventus
- GIT
- Eau Sauvage
- Terre D'Hermes
- Grey Vetiver
- Azarro PH
- PDN New York Intense
- Heeley Sel Marin (not quite the same mold as the others, but I think it is actually a great office scent. I don't get the fishyness that some talk about and it has soft sillage and decent longevity)

Sometimes I will go for a light application of a feminine marketed perfume: aldehydic florals like YSL Rive Gauche or Parfum D'Empire's Le Cri are good examples. I also think a bitter chypre, such as Papillon's Dryad, can make a great office scent if you're light on the trigger.

Fugufish

May 30, 2020
I used to wear Montblanc Legend a lot in my old job. It gathered many compliments.

In my new job I wore/wear Creed SMW in Summer and TF Oud Wood in Winter mostly. I did also wear Aventus a lot in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
MDCI INVASION BARBARE
YSL RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME
GUERLAIN VETIVER
MALLE VETIVER EXTRAORDINAIRE
ORMANDE JAYNE MAN
CREED BOIS DU PORTUGAL
LUBIN IDOLE
CHANEL POUR MONSIEUR EdP
HOUBIGANT FOUGERE ROYALE
CREED BAIE DE GENEIVRE
CREED ROYAL SCOTTISH LAVENDER
GENDAMRE EdP and 20
MALLE GERANIUM POUR MONSIEUR
FLORIS NO. 89
NICOLAI NEW YORK INTENSE
CLIVE CHRISTIAN L FOR MEN
PRADA AMBER POUR HOMME
PRADA INFUSION D'HOMME
CREED ROYAL OUD
PENHALIGONS RACQUETS

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
I've mostly worked at banks (non-client facing), and would wear pretty much anything to work. Therefore, in my case, you might be interested in what I did not or would not wear to work, and this largely depends on whether I had meetings in the first half. In such cases I would exclude stuff like Carnal Flower, Tubereuse Criminelle, Leather Oud etc.

There are some perfumes I feel/felt were just right, and actually miss wearing them to work (even before the pandemic I had been working from home for a year). This would include Grey Vetiver (when I had it), Itasca, New York Intense.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Over more than 3 decades of office work, I wore everything, but not without incident, and not without complaint. Never anything that got to HR levels - but that kind of environment is where I worked. Sillage was always a bit risky, depending upon coworkers and position, with upper management being skillful but "involved" to avoid fragrance bans.

Chuck is absolutely right about application level, but even with that accounted for, in a large organization in North America, if one pushes outside "clean and fresh and light", against thousands of people over many years, both a range of compliments and courteous complaints and "hints" will be encountered.

Re-application of modern candyfloss fruity florals "because I can't smell it after 15 minutes" was the most common problem where management needed to get involved. Anything distracting to other employees was fair game for management. "Leave the bottle at home" cured almost every problem. Note that the exact same fragrances were "office scents" to 10 other people who wore them discretely.

Nevertheless, discretion was not enough in our environment. Unusual and noticeable scents, especially niche or catchy, new, or avante-garde designers, would get noticed easily, even at low levels. Often positive, but sometimes negative. I have some great "half-spray" and "one-spray" stories. :evil:

Bleu de Chanel was my "most positive with zero problems" scent. Sel de Vétiver was my "most and strongest reactions of any kind" scent - both positive and negative. Most "WOW" reactions was easily Creed. GIT, both Tabaromes, Aventus, VIW. There were many people who loved that vibe.

goliatrgs

Sep 17, 2018
I use to rotate them, but here are some of my favourites:
- Aventus
- SMW
- Original Santal
- Original Vetiver
- Viking
- Bracken Man
- New York intense
- Cedrat Boise
- Chanel Bleu EDP
- Chanel Egoiste
- Chanel Egoiste Platinum
- Dia man
- Epic man

Enviado desde mi SM-N986B mediante Tapatalk

RawM.I.A.

Wait, What's That Smell?!
Basenotes Plus
Jan 25, 2017
I had a work rotation, but would add to that as time went on.

The only time I received bad feedback was when I wore Grand Soir & I think that was only cause I oversprayed.

There were some that received much fanfare like:

Ormonde Jayne White Gold
LV Au Hasard
Ormonde Jayne Nawab Of Oudh/Nawab Of Oudh Intensivo
Xerjoff Pikovaya Dama
Boadicea The Victorious Dasman
Marc-Antoine Barrois Ganymede

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I tend to wear the fragrances in my collection that are least likely to offend others around me as I don’t want to be that guy that chokes out his coworkers with Interlude etc

So I go for things like GiT, Original Vetiver, Colonia, Royal Mayfair, Guerlain Vetiver etc and 1-2 sprays max. Generally fairly fresh and clean smelling I suppose.

If I’m WFH then I’ll wear whatever I want but try to give my less safe scents an outing seeing as I don’t need to consider others. So maybe something like Gucci Guilty Absolute, Polo, Antaeus or Royal Oud

Are you kidding me - those are office safe! :D

Maybe they are, I personally love them but I prefer to play it safe so don’t tend to wear anything spicy or too strong.

My wife forbid me from wearing Antaeus to work! :D

HFMIII

Nov 29, 2016
Some of my favorites for the office:

Aventus
Original Vetiver
Viking
EROLFA
Dior Homme Cologne
L'homme Ideal Cologne
Castile
Sartorial
Vetiver Tonka

I often pick other scents, but I seem to gravitate more towards those I've listed and lately I've added H24.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Here's some interesting ones I actually wear/wore to work in the recent past (office environment for the most part):

Today: Guerlain Cuir Beluga
Monday: Hermes Epice Marine
Thurs 6th: MFK Cologne Pour le Soir
Tues: Eau de Guerlain
Apr 27th: Amouage Memoir Man
Apr 22nd: Dior Leather Oud original formulation, I think.
Apr 19th: Au Coeur du Desert
Apt 15th: Fahrenheit
Apr 8th: Xerjoff 1888
Apr 7th: Chanel Sycomore EdP
Apr 6th: Eau Sauvage
Apr 5th: M. Micallef Gaiac
Apr 2nd: MDCI L'Homme aux Gants
Apr 1st: Acqua di Parma Colonia Vaniglia
Mar 31st: Lancome Oud Ambroisie
March 30th: Guerlain Gourmand Coquin
Mar 23rd: Xerjoff Wabar, I think?
Mar 17th: Le Labo Rose 31
Mar 9th: Xerjoff Dolce Amalfi
Mar 8th: Lancome Parfait de Roses
Mar 4th: MDCI Chypre Palatin
Mar 1st: Le Galion Sang Bleu
Feb 25th: Xerjoff Italica
Feb 23rd: Dior Oud Ispahan
Feb 22nd: Amouage Interlude Black Iris Man, I think?
Feb 11th: Dior Homme Parfum
Feb 10th: Amouage Interlude Man
Feb 9th: Tom Ford Lost Cherry
Feb 8th: both Jicky EdP and Jicky EdT at the same time.
Feb 4th: Chanel A Gentleman's Cologne 'layered' with modern Pour Monsieur EdT.
Feb 3rd: Kerosene Blackmail
Jan 25th: Roja Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
etc.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
It's more about how much I wear, not what I wear. One spray under the shirt of almost anything is pretty "office safe". Especially if you let it dry down before putting the shirt on.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I work alone (even more so during the pandemic) and often am outside, so I only have to match the weather, rather than mind my sillage around others. This lets me pretty much wear whatever.

Jul 7, 2012
I work from home, but if I have a meeting I wear something clean. Chanel Eau De Cologne from the Les Exclusifs line is a winner. Castile is great too. If the circumstances were right, I'd wear 1725, but it's been ages since I've had formal meetings.

For work, I never try to impress people with my scent. I want to impress them with my work.

dogtoe

Aug 5, 2016
I retired early to start a part time consultancy. My go-to work fragrance at my corporation was Hermès TdH or Hermès Orange d’Vert. I’d throw in Montblanc Homme Exceptional, Baldesarini Ambre, Drakkar Noir, Baldesarini Hugo Boss or pretty much anything I had from time to time. I didn’t try any of the MFKs, Malles, Creeds, or niche fragrances I wear now until years after my retirement, and at home, the only customer I can horrify is my wife (I try not to do that often).

Monsieur Montana

Jan 14, 2015
Choosing the day’s perfume is the most difficult task in the morning.
Sometimes I wake up knowing what i am going to wear.
Most of the days I spent a few minutes looking at the bottles of my collection waiting for a bottle to “talk” to me.I don’t use specific perfumes at work. My scent of the day is my work perfume.

Latest News