O'Driù brings Niche back to its place (Olfactive Obsessions)

dhoakohime

Feb 17, 2013
Thanks Ipp!

Yep i thought about contacting them directly, but that will be like my last resort. I wanted to try asking around here first to see if i had any luck and also to know about others experiences with this brand. :thumbsup:

lpp

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2010
We have a Marketplace here where members sell/swap/etc., but it's unlikely that these will be listed there as they're made in such limited quantities & tend to be treasured by those fortunate enough to have some of them.

As you've been a member for over a year, it may be worth starting a thread in the 'Wanted' section.

We don't trade samples or other quantities in the discussion threads 'though as it's not permitted.

There are a few that I keep intending to submit for inclusion in the Directory and will try to do that shortly.

Mine have mostly been 'blind buys' and very happy ones :)

Last edited:

trex57

Jun 5, 2010
To the OP

First, O'Driu staff are lovely to deal with. Very personable and helpful. I've tried most of their line and have been impressed with all of them. Eva Kant is currently in heavy rotation in my house. An absolute beauty.

I know that BNers are very generous so take lpps suggestion and start a thread. You never know.

Cheers Rex

O'Driù helpdesk

May 3, 2012
J5270_mkt_odri_WET_V04.jpg

WET DREAM – COMING PERFUMERY

A new style by O’DRIÙ is born, based on a creative fecundity, totally independent and free from all the ties and stereotypes.

Milan, July 4, 2014 – the official date of the birth of WET DREAM – Coming Perfumery, a new phenomena of style created by Angelo Orazio Pregoni aka O’DRIÙ, made to define the world of the perfumery just right from the inside, giving it a complete, real independence in the search for the new expressive horizons.
WET DREAM – Coming Perfumery is a creative research, through which the sensory area, de-programmed from the stereotypes of mass market perfumery and commonplaces of that one “of niche”, finds centrality, authenticity, strength again and recovers the original fertility of sensations, emotions and thoughts.
That’s why, in order to define itself, this phenomenon uses metaphor of an erotic dream: if the dream state is where the emotions are sublimated - of which the senses are both subject and object - in the same way WET DREAMS flow and find their way to the creative energy - or, rather, the creative fecundity - of the perfumery, embroiled in the schemes abused by marketing.
In this way, the perfume scent produces olfactory “orgasms” that are finally awaken from the sensory numbness and brings you to a conceptual reality, which is much more interesting from the intellectual point of view, not only just from the sensorial one.
WET DREAM- Coming Perfumery is not a company, an association, a movement or a consortium: it is a philosophy that proposes a different approach to create perfumes. A continuous expression research and the constant transformations of its own codes make WET DREAM impossible to frame in the commercial schemes and the commercial reference categories: the only dogma are the key points with which it is founded. That is where the definition of Coming Perfumery comes from: a perfume that “lives” always one step ahead of the present moment, whose identity is defined by what it will be tomorrow much more than what it is in the instant, from which it is being observed.

 The creative process has no restrictions and is no bond of sorts, but remains as free as an original mindset.

 The act of creating a perfume is concrete act and conceptual act brought together.

 Perfume is a form of communication and expression and as such can join any cultural phenomenon, expressing itself by any language of society, culture or art.

 Perfume as a product is a result of a creative process that represents an expression in its entirety and has a value or disvalue in its totality.

 There may exist various forms of expression linked to the fragrance, these forms represent the habitat of a fragrance’s origin. Commercial categories do not exist, only categories of theexpression are meaningful.

 The olfactory analysis of a perfume is a sub cultural distortion: perfume cannot be described through the ingredients, but only through the olfactory vibrations, unharmonious oscillations of emotions, not of smells.

lpp

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2010
Thanks for the info. :) .

Is there a release date for these please?

p.s. - That's a great-looking logo!

Last edited:
May 5, 2015
In Autumn (2015) Lalfeorosa will be available for the first time in an ongoing series, Lalfeorosa will be the first scent of a collection of three fragrances: Lalfeorosa, Lalfeogrigio and Lalfeoverde.

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003
In Autumn (2015) Lalfeorosa will be available for the first time in an ongoing series, Lalfeorosa will be the first scent of a collection of three fragrances: Lalfeorosa, Lalfeogrigio and Lalfeoverde.

Excellent news on Lalfeorosa in particular. Finally an opportunity to buy my favorite O'driù composition and one of my favorites period.

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
I'd like to get this wonderful thread out of oblivion now that O'Driù, a cult brand like no other, and after a long silence —with the exception of all its ultra limited editions—, is about to drop 4 new fragrances in the form of a collection.

Many things and ways that are nowadays on the table started with him: the ultra limited editions (some, 1/1 releases), the uber expensive fragrances (up to +2.500 euros [ten years ago(!)]), the extremely quality ingredients and all-natural or mix-media mind-bending works, the top-notch, hand-made and conceptual packagings in collaboration with other artists, the amazing, original and so artistic expertise and out of this world complex and masterful blends (most of them, for many, unwereables [not my case]), the savoir faire, the kraken-like performance, the hidden meanings in every single release, both serious and comic, the play of words in/on the fragrance's names... And all this under the IFRA.

Things like Lalfeogrigio, Laurhum, Londa 1005, Lalfeorosa, Linfedele Haiku, Bomb-Hay, Ladamo and its cousin Pentito... So many masterpieces...

For new aficionados and collectors, most especially those in the artisanal corner in the search of new frontiers, this thread is worth a read and this house should be under your radar, since O'Driù is, whether you like or not the blends, the most experimental and ecclectic brand on the planet, a new virgin land: Perfumery as a (total) art.

If you think Josh (a close friend of him) has a special personality, expect X10 that with Angelo. Just read his reviews before he was banned on Basenotes (he made a special fragrance for this: Basenotes: Kiss my ass [a fragrance with no base notes, by the way]), what he wrote about Bogue and Antonio, his mockery (and self revindication) of the perfumery industry with PathÉtique, a masterpiece made with the most banal ingredients, or what he did with those Chanel Nº5s on Sxcense years ago. A Dalí-esque genius and a clown. An intellectual and a joker.

I am so, so happy for this.

Page with sold out range: http://www.odriu.eu/store/en/24-collections#

Attachments

• O'DRIÙ 42.jpg
    O'DRIÙ 42.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 11
  • O'DRIÙ CAPITE.jpg
    O'DRIÙ CAPITE.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 12
  • O'DRIÙ G.P.S..jpg
    O'DRIÙ G.P.S..jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 10
  • O'DRIÙ MADONNINA.jpg
    O'DRIÙ MADONNINA.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
Angelo and the brand have been silent for too long now. It's exciting to see the new collection finally ready to drop. For us artisanal collectors, Angelo was definitely one of the OG's that paved the way for what the market is today.

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
Angelo and the brand have been silent for too long now. It's exciting to see the new collection finally ready to drop. For us artisanal collectors, Angelo was definitely one of the OG's that paved the way for what the market is today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211029-205929_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-205929_Instagram.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20211029-205215_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-205215_Instagram.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20211029-210344_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-210344_Instagram.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20211029-211644_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-211644_Instagram.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 14

Minotauro

Jul 12, 2021
Just read his reviews before he was banned on Basenotes (he made a special fragrance for this: Basenotes: Kiss my ass [a fragrance with no base notes, by the way])
Could someone tell me what was the reason Angelo was banned from Basenotes? Simple curiosity, I do not know the story.
I think I remember reading some of his reviews and posts years ago but I was unaware of this ending.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
He’s a breath of fresh air, all right. Hahaha. Basenotes Kiss My Ass is still on my longstanding list of fragrances to try…

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
It really is quite a good release, but his Scent & Chemistry Kiss My Ass was the *real* masterpiece from that series to my nose.

Objectively speaking, I agree. But I'd say that I prefer AngelOrazioPregoni Kiss My Ass. The sum of thyme, orange, basil, arabic coffee, juniper berry, coconut, patchouli, orchid, chamomile, tarragon, almond and ylang-ylang is just great on my skin.

Could someone tell me what was the reason Angelo was banned from Basenotes? Simple curiosity, I do not know the story.
I think I remember reading some of his reviews and posts years ago but I was unaware of this ending.

Too... avant garde for the time? :) I don't recall a specific event, but all could have started with this: https://basenotes.com/reviews/angelo-orazio-pregoni.26187513/

Between joke and joke you can find some severe truths, by the way:

Here some interesting and much more serious threads:

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Objectively speaking, I agree. But I'd say that I prefer AngelOrazioPregoni Kiss My Ass. The sum of thyme, orange, basil, arabic coffee, juniper berry, coconut, patchouli, orchid, chamomile, tarragon, almond and ylang-ylang is just great on my skin.

Too... avant garde for the time? :) I don't recall a specific event, but all could have started with this: https://basenotes.com/reviews/angelo-orazio-pregoni.26187513/

going to have a look through but i already like this guy

Minotauro

Jul 12, 2021

I remember reading his reviews time ago.
I think that Basenotes added a sort of tagline in each of them, something like "the comments of this member could generate a conflict of interest" or something similar, do you remember? lol

I find it surprising that someone got banned just for expressing his opinion; As I understand it, Angelo has never insulted someone or overreacted.
Is a member of the perfume sector? Well, I would say that that enriches his presence more!
I remember many members of the industry (parfumeurs included) posting on Basenotes and any of them - as far as I know - was banned; even Luca Turin had an account.

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
To a large degree, I'd say that this was true -- both for the perfumes and Angelo himself.
It was and it is. Just read the concept of his secondary brand, BePolar (https://www.hivegoth.it/), the description of each fragrance, the packaging, the story behind, funny and intellectual at once, a criticism of the first world. Even if I personally think that they are one step behind his best works, these four stand above many of the fragrances out there, including a number of Slumberhouses, a brand I see as the mainstream countrepart of O'Driù, as well as BePolar.
I remember reading his reviews time ago.
I think that Basenotes added a sort of tagline in each of them, something like "the comments of this member could generate a conflict of interest" or something similar, do you remember? lol

I find it surprising that someone got banned just for expressing his opinion; As I understand it, Angelo has never insulted someone or overreacted.
Is a member of the perfume sector? Well, I would say that that enriches his presence more!
I remember many members of the industry (parfumeurs included) posting on Basenotes and any of them - as far as I know - was banned; even Luca Turin had an account.
It wasn't from the mods, but from some basenoters where the attacks came from. This has happened many times here; just remember when so many made that trap to Luca Turin during the Lockdown, to the point that he asked to be banned after many years of membership. It's an endemic behavior. People feel important doing this. To Angelo, Luca and others on Basenotes, to Ensar (constantly) on Ouddict years ago... You can see this happening in every single social network when famous people or creators are active members and haters just don't tolerate new ways of thinking or just the simple thruth.

Anyway, I remember Grant saying that he purchased a bottle of Basenotes Kiss My Ass back in the time :)

Last edited:

Minotauro

Jul 12, 2021
It was and it is. Just read the concept of his secondary brand, BePolar (https://www.hivegoth.it/), the description of each fragrance, the packaging, the story behind, funny and intellectual at once, a critique to the first world. Even if I personally think that they are one step behind his best works, this four stand above many of the fragrances out there, including a number of Slumberhouses, a brand I see as the mainstream countrepart of O'Driù, as well as BePolar.

It wasn't from the mods, but from some basenoters where the attacks came from. This has happened many times here; just remember when so many made that trap to Luca Turin during the Lockdown, to the point that he asked to be banned after many years of membership. It's a endemic behavior. People feel important doing this. To Angelo, Luca and others on Basenotes, to Ensar (constantly) on Ouddict years ago... You can see this happening in every single social net when famous people or creators are active members and haters just don't tolerate new ways of thinking or just the simple thruth.

Anyway, I remember Grant saying that he purchased a bottle of Basenotes Kiss My Ass back in the time :)
Thanks Sinkinggrade (y) now I get an idea of what happened...

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
The irony is that under the new forum software, the disclaimer of his reviews being a conflict of interest is gone.

Likewise, there have been many artisanal or indie/hobbyist perfumers since then that have existed here just fine, although I don't know how many of them write reviews. As I see it, a perfumer reviewing perfumes from another perfumer isn't a conflict of interest unless there's some personal animosity between them, since musicians and directors review, criticize, or even praise each other's work all the time.

ATH reviews plenty of perfumes from other houses on his channel, and I've seen people like Cecile Zarokian or Maurice Roucel talk both good and bad (or really just indifferent at worst) about perfumes they like/don't care for from other perfumers, some of them really old or more recent.

I kind of feel like the nature of the art and the market behind it means the perfumers themselves are probably the least likely people to see each other as competitors or rivals. It's more likely the creative directors, designers, or CEOS themselves behind the big corporate houses or oil firms that are likely to commit schadenfreude on each other, as that's where the egos are.

Minotauro

Jul 12, 2021
Varanis Ridari, I totally agree with your opinion.

This is going to be 99% off topic, but I remember weeks ago that a member posted a thread with the title "Your favorite fragrance when you are pleasuring yourself" or something in the same vein... maybe some of you can remember it.
And after a few hours, 3 or 4 hrs, this thread disappeared: I wanted to reply and it was gone; it was undoubtedly a coitus interruptus.
So the thread was suddenly closed and I saw a link to contact the administrator.

I contacted the "administration" to ask what had happened, what was the cause of this removal... If someone had closed it for some reason, and if so, what part of the forum's code of conduct had violated.
I did not get any response.

I really found such an attitude pathetic, and even more so considering that in the annals of this forums there have been threads like "Fragrances that enhance sexual performance" or others...

I think - at least most of us - are old enough here for "Big Brother" to control us with such a zeal.
If there has ever been a trigger for progress in the history of mankind, it has been the ability of the human being to oppose the established power.
And surely this last sentence is very pompous after such an anecdote, but I allow you to call me pompous, I am not going to block you.

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
I hope Angelo is willing and able to bring back Peety and Eva Kant someday.
During the lockdown, a initial project was to bring back the entire Wet Dream collection under a new packaging and format (100ml), but you never know with Angelo... These new four are related with some of his last paintings.

Theholyfilament

Jul 4, 2014
Absolutely cannot wait to try the new line. I kick myself everyday for not picking up his work back in the day but the prices were always a little steep for me then. Hopefully they're accessible in the US! I dm'd him on insta a few months about his BePolar line and he said he had no plans or even interest to sell them here (lol).

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
Absolutely cannot wait to try the new line. I kick myself everyday for not picking up his work back in the day but the prices were always a little steep for me then. Hopefully they're accessible in the US! I dm'd him on insta a few months about his BePolar line and he said he had no plans or even interest to sell them here (lol).
(Lol). You can get them here: https://ecuacionnatural.com/categoria-producto/bepolar/ They ship worldwide.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Varanis Ridari, I totally agree with your opinion.

This is going to be 99% off topic, but I remember weeks ago that a member posted a thread with the title "Your favorite fragrance when you are pleasuring yourself" or something in the same vein... maybe some of you can remember it.
And after a few hours, 3 or 4 hrs, this thread disappeared: I wanted to reply and it was gone; it was undoubtedly a coitus interruptus.
So the thread was suddenly closed and I saw a link to contact the administrator.

I contacted the "administration" to ask what had happened, what was the cause of this removal... If someone had closed it for some reason, and if so, what part of the forum's code of conduct had violated.
I did not get any response.

I really found such an attitude pathetic, and even more so considering that in the annals of this forums there have been threads like "Fragrances that enhance sexual performance" or others...

I think - at least most of us - are old enough here for "Big Brother" to control us with such a zeal.
If there has ever been a trigger for progress in the history of mankind, it has been the ability of the human being to oppose the established power.
And surely this last sentence is very pompous after such an anecdote, but I allow you to call me pompous, I am not going to block you.
I've been called far worse and am still here. 😉

I only block when either:

A) a member so intently pits themselves against me as to effectively harass me at every opportunity, likely with the intent to drive me off site. Sorry, bullies don't scare me. All that results from such animosity is the aforementioned block.

B) a member so obsessively posts multiple times in every thread as to dominate the conversation or try to be the only visible person posting on the site. Got no patience for territorial pissing or gatekeeping. Also gets a block.

C) a member makes me aware I've been blocked. No use in seeing contributions to a conversation if I can't interact with them. No hard feelings!

But back on topic: I think the aforementioned thread might have been just a bridge too far and worthy of excision, but I see what you mean. I think it's less about the nature of one's opinion than it is their delivery and willingness to let others challenge, disagree, or add to their opinion. It's code of conduct, not code of thought.

Someone is perfectly allowed to go around the forums saying they hate everything but X, or love everything Y makes unquestioningly, to wax poetic and drone on about their favorite brands, perfumers, and creative directors. The worst that will happen is the rest of the community may have difficulty finding common ground with that person, but they've committed no wrongdoing.

Faux pas isn't fun to be sure, but it's nothing against any rules. I think that's the gist of the whole O'Driu scandal (from before my time) here on BN: knowing the difference between an unpopular opinion/hot take, and an actual offense worthy of corrective action. Somewhere along the line Angelo must have crossed the barrier from the former over to the latter, and he was dealt with. People do get plenty of second chances too, most places online.

Regardless of how good your perfumes are or how valuable your contributions to the knowledge base can be, if you prove yourself toxic, that's when you cross the line. If I cross that line, I expect to be corrected, for the sake of my own growth as a person. Not just here, but anywhere I hang my hat. We don't want to lose any more contributors like Luca Turin, when they throw in the towel to bad actors. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
So finally the new collection is ready and would like to add some info and notes for O'Driùids and tourists.

4 avant-garde and mixed-media works of art inspired by Angelo's books and paintings, but also by his moods. 100 pieces per work, produced by 10 each time, so limited distribution.

A concentration of at least 20%, what wears on skin, as usual with most of O'Driùs, like a most dense extrait (if not like an attar) with exceptional performance.

The packaging is completely handmade composed with the O'Driù-esque underground touch, using steel, glass and aluminum.

Price is 295€ per fragrance. Size is 50ml each.

Official notes...

—Mosca Cieca GPS (mysterius, magical, mystical): Several amber notes following and chasing each other, velvety musks, castoreum, cypirol, incense, cardamon, woods and legendary secrets by nature or by the will of fate.

—Linea 42 (avant-garde yet ancient, sensual, intense): Amber, peach, oud, absinthe, mushrooms, roots..., the genuine primal forces of the rose and magnolia and a thousand shades of flowers and sacred woods, plus cocoa and tonka beens.

—A l'Ombra della Madonnina (sacred and profane, transcendent, exhilarating): Incense, amyris, bergamot, icing sugar, mimosa of spring, coconut of a secret island, english tobacco and musks.

—Pane pro Capite (futurist that speaks to us of yesterday, one of its kind, atavistic): Toasted bread, violet, jasmine, carnation, olibanum, fenugreek, fig, mandarin, cherry, the vigorous and fascinating palpitations of coffee, as well as sandalwood and amber, which are hidden.

*Oud in 42 is organic and also has (the oud) an added 3% of synth accord, being both just another part of the blend in order to get a specific and bigger effect within the composition as a whole. Not an oud centered perfume.

*Interested in the full range can email Anna Bagnoli or you can write me by DM and will provide her work email for pre-order it with their usual generosity with big collectors.

*Don't really know if traditional O'Driù retailers will have stock due to the special distribution method chosen by the house, but I tend to think that they will, yes.

This is Angelo's new statement. Old manners on virgin canvases. Perfumery as a manifiesto, art with an eye towards the not near future. Not about tastes. I put my word on this.

Last edited:

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
So finally the new collection is ready and would like to add some info and notes for O'Driùids and tourists.

4 avant-garde and mixed-media works of art inspired by Angelo's books and paintings, but also by his moods. 100 pieces per work, produced by 10 each time, so limited distribution.

A concentration of at least 20%, what wears on skin, as usual with most of O'Driùs, like a most dense extrait (if not like an attar) with exceptional performance.

The packaging is completely handmade composed with the O'Driù-esque underground touch, using steel, glass and aluminum.

Price is 295€ per fragrance. Size is 50ml each.

Official notes...

—Mosca Cieca GPS (mysterius, magical, mystical): Several amber notes following and chasing each other, velvety musks, castoreum, cypirol, incense, cardamon, woods and legendary secrets by nature or by the will of fate.

—Linea 42 (avant-garde yet ancient, sensual, intense): Amber, peach, oud, absinthe, mushrooms, roots..., the genuine primal forces of the rose and magnolia and a thousand shades of flowers and sacred woods, plus cocoa and tonka beens.

—A l'Ombra della Madonnina (sacred and profane, transcendent, exhilarating): Incense, amyris, bergamot, icing sugar, mimosa of spring, coconut of a secret island, english tobacco and musks.

—Pane pro Capite (futurist that speaks to us of yesterday, one of its kind, atavistic): Toasted bread, violet, jasmine, carnation, olibanum, fenugreek, fig, mandarin, cherry, the vigorous and fascinating palpitations of coffee, as well as sandalwood and amber, which are hidden.

*Oud in 42 is organic and also has (the oud) an added 3% of synth accord, being both just another part of the blend in order to get a specific and bigger effect within the composition as a whole. Not an oud centered perfume.

*Interested in the full range can email Anna Bagnoli or you can write me by DM and will provide her work email for pre-order it with their usual generosity with big collectors.

*Don't really know if traditional O'Driù retailers will have stock due to the special distribution method chosen by the house, but I tend to think that they will, yes.

This is Angelo's new statement. Old manners on virgin canvases. Perfumery as a manifiesto, art with an eye towards the not near future. Not about tastes. I put my word on this.
Thanks so much for sharing all of this initial information. It's exciting to see the brand coming back to life a bit!

Latest News