Note obsession: telll us about the times you went "note crazy" - just obsessed with a single note

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
Note obsession: telll us about the times you went "note crazy" - just obsessed with a single note

I'm in my Neroli phase. Love and have a bunch of neroli fragrances.

Had a patchouli phase, OMG, wonderful patch!

And a vetiver phase. Love love love it.

What about you?

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Re: Note obsession: telll us about the times you went "note crazy" - just obsessed with a single not

While a bit off topic, since including far more an array, an accord and/or combination of notes- powerhouse, often beast mode and vintage chypre note combos from the late 90s/early 2000s until today (and likely beyond as well)

Clarissochka

Jul 1, 2015
Re: Note obsession: telll us about the times you went "note crazy" - just obsessed with a single not

Sandalwood phase. Still in it, still going strong. :)

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020

I had a leather phase. Still enjoy the note, though.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007

I enjoy leather as a note very much.

MisterK

Dec 22, 2003

Recently it was a cumin phase but as we go into Autumn, I know I will go into a sandalwood phase (probably increasingly wearing Fahrenheit)

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019

0fecdc86e104e5996545ea52ecbbdaac.gif

Tobacco. All day, every day.

Though I've gone through a neroli phase and a fig phase. I'm actually in something of an incense phase right now.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015

Haha, I've also been on a neroli phase! Discovering Hermes Neroli Dore last summer kicked it off then moving to Florida for awhile kept it going for almost a year. Did you find a favorite?

Last couple months I also had a green phase, Bel Respiro, Christal and No. 19 all found their way into my wardrobe.

Not sure what will be next, but I do find myself eyeing quite a few rose fragrances lately.

I'm in my Neroli phase. Love and have a bunch of neroli fragrances.

Had a patchouli phase, OMG, wonderful patch!

And a vetiver phase. Love love love it.

What about you?

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018

Haha, I've also been on a neroli phase! Discovering Hermes Neroli Dore last summer kicked it off then moving to Florida for awhile kept it going for almost a year. Did you find a favorite?

Last couple months I also had a green phase, Bel Respiro, Christal and No. 19 all found their way into my wardrobe.

Not sure what will be next, but I do find myself eyeing quite a few rose fragrances lately.

I like Creed Neroli Sauvage and so many others lol. I am liking Neroli blanc Intense Eau de Parfum by Au Pays de la Fleur d’Oranger

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

Vanilla - went on a journey find the holy grail for vanillas - Indult Tihota. Discovered many other vanilla scents along the way.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020

Vanilla - went on a journey find the holy grail for vanillas - Indult Tihota. Discovered many other vanilla scents along the way.

I don't recall having heard about this one from you, but I do know you're quite the fan of Guerlain's SDV. Who makes Indult Tihota?

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

I don't recall having heard about this one from you, but I do know you're quite the fan of Guerlain's SDV. Who makes Indult Tihota?

Indult - It's a small house originally created by Francis Kurkdjian who also founded MFK. You should give it a sniff, it's the purest vanilla scent there is.

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010

This has happened to me several times over the years. l started off going through the various white flowers: gardenia, jasmine, tuberose, etc. Then moved through amber, sandalwood, fig, incense & so forth. lt's been some time since l went on this kind of hunt though, so maybe l'm over it...

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019

Same here. When I started this hobby (less than 2 years ago), I was desperate to find the greatest vanilla. I went through all the Eau Duelle, Memoirs of Trespasser, Spiritueuse double vanille etc... Have not tried the Indult one yet!

Today, I would probably say Fig. I love Philosykos, especially the edp, but wanted to find something just as good but with better performance. Have not find it yet, Fico di Amalfi is close 2nd but much more summery. Gris Charnelle by BDK is an excellent, super long lasting fragrance with dominant Fig note, it is now one of the 2 signature scent of my wife

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009

A rose fascination is what caused me to find Basenotes. Domenico Caraceni was the first scent I bought after signing up and researching.

There have been a lot of notes I have brief "flings" with, but no one note has really sent me into a buying/sampling frenzy since rose. Lavender is kind of a constant attention getter, but that's in so many scents. If I see a lot of comments about a strong cinnamon note, I pay attention.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021

Oud (real oud) going strong along side deer musk :)))))))))))))))

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005

At various times in my perfume journey it’s been amber, orange blossom, incense, sandalwood, iris. I still pay attention whenever I see any of those mentioned.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021

Have you tried Bortnikoff Musk Cologne?

i have not tried anything from bortnikoff ( surprising i know) but il add this to this list (the lsit grows bigger by the day ;//)

sjg3839

Aug 21, 2012

Had an amber phase years ago.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015

I cycle through phases all the time, so my wardrobe embodies many notes, genres, styles, houses. White flowers are foundational, and then there are times when the only notes I crave are tobacco and leather, or rose, or rich floral orientals and ambers, or incense, always oak moss and birch tar. The only notes that seldom call to me, even briefly, are citrus (except as topnotes) and heavy lavender.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

Osmanthus. Can't seem to get enough of it.

I would probably have a lychee (litchi) frenzy too, if somebody made a decent perfume from it, but those I've tried have been pathetic. Lychee smells exactly like elderflower, to my nose.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018

Osmanthus. Can't seem to get enough of it.

I would probably have a lychee (litchi) frenzy too, if somebody made a decent perfume from it, but those I've tried have been pathetic. Lychee smells exactly like elderflower, to my nose.

Yes osmanthus is one I’m going through.

And I forgot. Immortelle. Oh my I’m such a fan — blasted through that phase.

akadem

Jan 11, 2017

Chocolate, after I put myself on a low carb diet. Own quite a few delicious chocolate fragrances now.

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012

Usually it's leather for me.

For most notes that I like - I tend to get bored of monolithic compositions based on any one note. Best examples would be patchouli and vetiver, especially patchouli. I tend to much prefer a nuanced accord. For e.g., Heritage, Coromandel, Mazzolari Lui, Givenchy Gentleman etc. over some monolithic patchouli composition.

Exceptions would be rose, lavender, and to an extent tuberose and tobacco.

Leather is a fantasy note mostly, and there are so many different styles.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009

i have not tried anything from bortnikoff ( surprising i know) but il add this to this list (the lsit grows bigger by the day ;//)

No not surprising. I hadn't tried any either until a couple of months ago. Saw a fair amount of positive comments about Musk Cologne from people I wouldn't expect so tried it.

If you like deer musk, RUN, don't walk, to try Bortnikoff Musk Cologne...

I'm not a "deer musk guy" but this...this is spectacular stuff.

Not many I would just gush about randomly. Very pricey but he has a 9ml decant.

Shadowartisttxl

Mar 25, 2016

Oh man, I've had a bunch.
Licorice, Lavender, Rose, Jasmine, Tuberose, Oud, 'Amber', Neroli, Sandalwood, Olibanum, Myrrh, 'Leather,' Castoreum, Aldehydes, Cumin.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
I'm sure there will be many more.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021

No not surprising. I hadn't tried any either until a couple of months ago. Saw a fair amount of positive comments about Musk Cologne from people I wouldn't expect so tried it.

If you like deer musk, RUN, don't walk, to try Bortnikoff Musk Cologne...

I'm not a "deer musk guy" but this...this is spectacular stuff.

Not many I would just gush about randomly. Very pricey but he has a 9ml decant.

i will add it to the list, have a few things ahead of it like more ensar lol

Bis100

Aug 7, 2019

Tobacco and "barbershop"

A very distant 3rd: Vetiver

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

Same here. When I started this hobby (less than 2 years ago), I was desperate to find the greatest vanilla. I went through all the Eau Duelle, Memoirs of Trespasser, Spiritueuse double vanille etc... Have not tried the Indult one yet!

Depends on what kind of vanilla that you're looking for. Are you looking for straight up vanilla or a vanilla as a dominating note to other notes or vanilla blended well with other notes?

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020

Indult - It's a small house originally created by Francis Kurkdjian who also founded MFK. You should give it a sniff, it's the purest vanilla scent there is.

Interesting. Thank you for the suggestion.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020

I don't think I've ever gone "note crazy" as in starting to buy bunch stuff just because of one particular note. But I have had phases, certainly.

Early on, I deducted I must love vanilla. Uh, I'm glad I only bought Armani Code and Code Absolu before I realized they're unnecessarily sweet. As of late, I've started to appreciate vanilla again - but only in vintage formulations, where it's not so blatant but blended in.

Patchouli, rose and honey are all notes I initially was on the fence with but certainly have "gone crazy" with them later, one after the other.

I think my latest discovery has been coconut, present in the base of many vintages. Once again, it's not something I would have predicted I'd grow to like.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014

I’ve focused on many different notes over the years. I realize that I like a certain note or perfume ingredient and then decide to look for other options. Not “crazy” at all, but a very good way to organize your perfume explorations.

Some notes that I’ve investigated are —

iris
rose
jasmine
narcissus
galbanum
vetiver

Ed Wardian

Oct 28, 2020

I've been buzzing around honey lately... Not sure why but something about the older honey patchouli classics are resonating with me like Givenchy Gentlemen (originale still searching for that elusive reasonable priced vintage), Giorgio for Men, Smalto by Francesco Smalto more than ever.... Cartier l'envol has me in a swoon, even some of the Middle Eastern cheapies like Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, 24 Gold Elixir (coconut, honey! much better than any of the line IMO and slightly traditional than their "pop hits") have me in a spell...

Latest News