cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Re: Where to Shop in NYC

Enjoy the city!

My favorite smelling destinations: For niche: Aedes de Venustas (down on Christopher street, many brands from Amouage, Serge Lutens etc etc), Henri Bendel (Etat Libre, Artisan parfumeur, Maitre Gantier etc etc), Barneys (Malle etc etc).
Also, Bergdorf Goodman (both male and female sides. Includes Amouage and a full-range Guerlain counter); Chanel boutique (for the Chanel exclusives and the Chanel extraits).
A few brands also have standalone boutiques (eg Le Labo, Malle), but they can also be found at some of the above.

cacio

hednic

Oct 25, 2007

Not to forget the wholesale fragrance district between 23rd street and 32nd on Broadway for cheapies and designer scents. Cash only accepted. Understanding Punjabi or Urdu is a plus.

Primrose

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 22, 2009

Enjoy the city!

My favorite smelling destinations: For niche: Aedes de Venustas (down on Christopher street, many brands from Amouage, Serge Lutens etc etc), Henri Bendel (Etat Libre, Artisan parfumeur, Maitre Gantier etc etc), Barneys (Malle etc etc).
Also, Bergdorf Goodman (both male and female sides. Includes Amouage and a full-range Guerlain counter); Chanel boutique (for the Chanel exclusives and the Chanel extraits).
A few brands also have standalone boutiques (eg Le Labo, Malle), but they can also be found at some of the above.

cacio

Aedes have a a good selection of scents, but few truly exclusive that cannot be bought elsewhere.

Be prepared to be scowled at or received a snippy answer when you ask questions. The rudeness of the staff have already been discussed on the boards.

30 Roses

Oct 8, 2007

I've had only positive experiences with Aedes, but then I've only visited the store in person, never had to deal with them over the phone as Primrose did, and we have not been treated rudely in person.

The owners/salespeople will let you test without interference, and will assist you when you request it. They are also generous with samples. That is enough for me as a shopper. Visit and form your own opinions, is my advice.

Last edited:

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
The wholesale fragrance district between 23rd street and 32nd on Broadway for cheapies and designer scents. Cash only accepted.

tyler-durden

May 19, 2011
I'm off to New York (first trip to the US) in late November, and will be taking the opportunity to shop for fragrances.

Does anywhere stock L'air du Desert Marocain by Tauer perfurmes?

I have a Guerlain and Chanel exclusifs on my list, but LDDM was going to make the top 3 on the must purchase list.

Thanks.

30 Roses

Oct 8, 2007
I'm off to New York (first trip to the US) in late November, and will be taking the opportunity to shop for fragrances.

Does anywhere stock L'air du Desert Marocain by Tauer perfurmes?

I have a Guerlain and Chanel exclusifs on my list, but LDDM was going to make the top 3 on the must purchase list.

Thanks.

Tauer's website lists this salon in NYC:

USA: Woodley and Bunny, 196 N 10th street, Brooklny, NY 11211, www.woodleyandbunny.com

The website didn't show LDDM in its list of Tauer frags, but I phoned to inquire. The woman I spoke to said LDDM is temporarily out of stock; the package containing LDDM is stuck in Customs (she said) but added that they should have it back in stock in about 2 weeks.

If you know for sure you want one, you might ask them to reserve you a bottle.

linter

Sep 16, 2011
Wanted: NYC shopping experience, sublime to ridiculous!

At the end of the month, I'm going to be in NYC for a day or two, with some time on my hands to do some sniffing if not buying. Mainly, I'm after two (window)shopping experiences:

1/ The craziest and most frantic possible, just to feel what it feels like, in the presence of hopped-up SAs that won't take no for an answer. I'm thinking the Macy's on 34th Street. Think that'll be my best bet? Any other suggestions in this category? What about places that'll take one look at my tattered sneakers and not give me the time of day? (P.S., I'm trying to stay beneath 34th Street ...)

2/ The most delightful and sublime. Are there one or two shops where just stepping into them is going to cleanse me of all that I just experienced in, say, Macy's?

Thanks for any suggestions y'all might have!

30 Roses

Oct 8, 2007
Re: Wanted: NYC shopping experience, sublime to ridiculous!

For the sublime, where you can test all you like and not be bugged to buy, I recommend Aedes de Venustas on Christopher Street in Greenwich Village. Lots of great niche fragrances to try. From what I've read (I haven't been there yet) another may be MiN New York.

I avoid places where SAs push me to buy, so can't recommend any in NYC.

MikeNY

Sep 30, 2009

I second 30 Roses with Aedes de Venustas in the Village and MiN NY on Crosby St. While you're near Aedes, stop by Bigelow and Co on 6th Ave/ Greenwich. There you'll find a huge selection of rare niche brands such as Nasamotto, Maison Francis Kurkjian, Cartusia, etc.

If you're into Bond No. 9, stop by their flagship store at 9 Bond St. Customer Service there is unbelievable. Ask for Veronica or Karina.

As for your first idea, Macy's is a good choice. If you don't mind going a little north of 34th (49th and 5th to be exact) a better option is Saks 5th. You'll get the same frantic snooty treatment, but there's a much better selection.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007

Henri Bendel
Min NY
Aedes
Bergdorf
Saks
Barneys

Macy's and Bloomingdales for the first type of experience

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010

I tend to prefer the area around 57th for perfumes, as indicated by hednic (Henri Bendel, Bergdorf, Chanel, Dior, Barneys). Apart from Aedes, it's hard to think of a richer and plusher place than Bergdorf Goodman, or with quirkier niche than Henri Bendel. But if you want to stay under 34th, for sublime experience, +1 Aedes for niche (and +1 nearby Bigelow on 6th, which has some interesting brands too).

I don't think anybody really cares about the look, at least south of 34th, so I can't think of experience (1). Other stores in Soho I like are the Le Labo on elizabeth street (and Aesop in front of it, for Mystra and Marrakech), the Chanel boutique, and Odin on Lafayette (for Odin and Histoires de parfums).

cacio

firehorse

Oct 21, 2010

Suggestion from a New Yorker: avoid Macy's -- its really depressing this time of year. Unless you are into feeling like cattle being prodded by part time sales staff who don't know anything about fragrance.

My suggestion: go downtown.

Le Labo
two stores down is the new: Artelier fragrance store
Aedes
MIN
Lafco
Bloomingdales
Bond
Diptyche

mrcologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009

Bergdorfs and Barneys - you've knocked out a lot of fragrance lines in just two places. Add some boutiques if you have time. The Creed Boutique is a few blocks north of Barneys. It's fun.

oolafsson

Nov 27, 2011
NYC's Fragrance District is worth visiting. From 34th Street, walk south on Broadway for several blocks and you'll find many shops crammed with fragrances from floor to ceiling.

I can certainly vouch for this. As always with stores like this, you should exercise caution. However, I stopped by Perfume Americana (broadway and 30th Street) today and picked up a 3.4oz Boucheron Pour Homme EDP for $65 with no tax. This fragrance retails for $125 + tax at department stores and is actually very hard to find. Definitely authentic: tight and neat shrink-wrap, quality box with thick cardboard stabilizing interior lid, and completely identical bottle to my department store purchased one that just ran out. For mainstream EDT and EDP (and sometimes gift sets) this store blows away department stores in pricing; even the sales people are very helpful and surprisingly knowledgeable in the area. When I asked the guy about YSL M7 he not only knew that it was discontinued in the US and only sold in Europe, but he offered to call me when they got the occasional shipment in, AND he offered me a 65% discount which was 20% higher than they normally offer customers. Very very good store.

WARNING: sometimes, these stores don't have authentic products, but it should be fairly obvious what's good and what's not. Designers go to great lengths to make everything, from packaging to bottle, look like it's designer quality. If something looks crappy, it's probably fake. It's more of a common sense thing than anything else. But just be wary because even at great places like Perfume Americana I'm sure there will be fakes hiding on the shelves.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I can certainly vouch for this. As always with stores like this, you should exercise caution. However, I stopped by Perfume Americana (broadway and 30th Street) today and picked up a 3.4oz Boucheron Pour Homme EDP for $65 with no tax. This fragrance retails for $125 + tax at department stores and is actually very hard to find. Definitely authentic: tight and neat shrink-wrap, quality box with thick cardboard stabilizing interior lid, and completely identical bottle to my department store purchased one that just ran out. For mainstream EDT and EDP (and sometimes gift sets) this store blows away department stores in pricing; even the sales people are very helpful and surprisingly knowledgeable in the area. When I asked the guy about YSL M7 he not only knew that it was discontinued in the US and only sold in Europe, but he offered to call me when they got the occasional shipment in, AND he offered me a 65% discount which was 20% higher than they normally offer customers. Very very good store.

WARNING: sometimes, these stores don't have authentic products, but it should be fairly obvious what's good and what's not. Designers go to great lengths to make everything, from packaging to bottle, look like it's designer quality. If something looks crappy, it's probably fake. It's more of a common sense thing than anything else. But just be wary because even at great places like Perfume Americana I'm sure there will be fakes hiding on the shelves.

They have a website also where you can order directly online if you can't get to their store.

http://www.namebrandsperfume.com/

oolafsson

Nov 27, 2011
They have a website also where you can order directly online if you can't get to their store.

http://www.namebrandsperfume.com/

Yes, hednic is absolutely right here, HOWEVER, if you're able to make it into the store they are flexible on pricing, and in other cases just completely inconsistent. The 3.4oz Boucheron I described in my post above was $65 in the store without any bargaining but is clearly listed at $78, a $13 premium to the in-store pricing, and naturally there is no bargaining through online ordering. Just a heads up.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
The 3.4oz Boucheron I described in my post above was $65 in the store without any bargaining but is clearly listed at $78, a $13 premium to the in-store pricing, and naturally there is no bargaining through online ordering.

I think the bottom line is they just want to make the sale. If they know you have cash and are ready to buy, in store you can get a better deal and walk away with a cheaper purchase. In any case - a very nifty place.

sketchwars

Aug 15, 2008
New Yorkers please help!

I am going to New York in April and I desperately want to get bottles of Mona di orio Vanille and Oud. Does anyone know if it is possible to et Monas fragrances in NY?

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
The Perfume Shoppe in Rehoboth Beach didn't have any of her line in store when I was there, but they can have them sent from the Vancouver store according to the SA.

anderson3120

Banned
Apr 19, 2012
New York City, with a population of over 8.1 million, is the most populous city in the United States. It is known for its status as a center for finance and culture and for its status as the largest gateway for immigration to the United States. According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, it is also a destination of choice for many foreign visitors. Both the state and city were named for the 17th century Duke of York, James Stuart, future James II and VII of England and Scotland.

mr. reasonable

Jan 1, 2009
Anybody know of a retail outlet carrying Vero Kern in Manhattan?

No luck on MIN or Aedes websites (or her own). A friend is heading over in a week or so and offered to pick up something for me - time for Onda!

Many thanks.

PS Thanks to Kevin for replying privately. My friend is over there and it seems Aedes & Min are not carrying the line - shame, I would thought Manhattan would provide an audience for her exceptionally cutting edge and sophisticated work . . .

Last edited:

Redbeard

Jun 29, 2008
Just north of NYC in White Plains, NY (also just a few miles south of Greenwich, CT) is a place called Eau de Luxe. Carries a wide range of stuff from commercial to niche - Amouage, Creed, Serge Lutens, by Kilians, etc...- in store and specializes in hard to find items. Prices are about the same or better than many of the online sites (also currently running a "text to phone promotions" for a 20% discount) and ofetn supplies to Fragrancenet, fragrancex, beautyencounter,etc... The owner is very personable and a pleasure to deal with. No web site yet but may be reached by e-mail at eaudeluxe@gmail.com or by phone at 914-328-3358. The street address is 188 Martine Ave., White Plains, NY 10601.

Not sure if they moved or closed altogether, but I walked by there and this storefront is empty as of today.

msulinski

Aug 29, 2012
I have had good experiences at Saks. The salespeople are friendly and generous with samples, especially the Kilian people. I have enough rose oud in samples that I don't think I'll have to buy a bottle for some time. Also, they seem willing to sell the refills without you having to buy the orIginal. I purchased the travel refills, and am pretty sure I could have gotten a 50ml refill for 135.

They also give out 4oz Tom ford private line samples. Neiman and bergdorf wouldn't give me any Tom ford samples.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know of a store in the fragrance district that sells TF private blends?

Thanks

fannymitsouko

Nov 27, 2011
Found it.

I am under the impression Bendel gets new lines and ditches slow-moving ones on a fairly regular basis. Accurate-ish as of two weeks ago.:

Aftelier
Ajne (I think, I can't make out my own shorthand)
Annick Goutal
Azagury
Caron
Carthusia
Child
Chloe
Chanel (main line only, no Exclusifs)
Comptoir Sud Pacifique
Escentric
Etat Libre d'Orange
Histoires de Parfums
Honore de Pres
Juliette Has A Gun
L'Artisan (separate mini boutique)
Les Senteurs Gourmandes
Lubin
Nasomatto
Kai
Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
Memoire Liquide (with personalized fragrance booth)
Molinard
Neil Morris
Nez a Nez
Povoy (?? Shorthand malfunction?)
Profumi del Forte
Six Scents: Series 1, 2, 3
Smiley
So Oud
Velvet Rope

I think it's Jovoy...my memory associates this spelling pattern with some very "un-niche-like", if not tacky spherical bottles

Akahina

Jun 9, 2011
I would welcome updates on Manahattan perfume shopping since I will be taking my first trip in a couple of months! Very excited.

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
I would welcome updates on Manahattan perfume shopping since I will be taking my first trip in a couple of months! Very excited.

Twisted Lily in Brooklyn; Osswalds; Bergdorf for JAR; CB I Hate Perfume (might need an appointment). MiN's a bit hit or miss, but the place looks kind of cool; I don't have anything good to say about Aedes, but you should still check it out I guess.

PalmBeach

Apr 5, 2012
Perfume shopping in New York is endless. Deadidol mentioned just a few. Don't forget Barney's and Henri Bendel.

For Bergdorf, they have a Men's store and Women's store. The big perfume department is in the Women's store.

How long are you going for?

Akahina

Jun 9, 2011
I will be in Manhattan for 6 nights. I have very few plans and expect to just find what the city offers on a day to day basis.I am surprised you say MiN is a hit or miss! Really? That is the one place I thought would be my first visit. Hmmm...

Last edited:

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Mentioned this in another thread but Juju S'Amuse on Lexington Avenue between 82nd and 83rd carries Oriza L. Legrand, Olfactive Studio, and Eutopie. Henri Bendel as mentioned above is constantly changing their offerings. They now have Dorin and CB I Hate Perfumes among other lines.

Last edited:

Akahina

Jun 9, 2011
Hednic and Deadidol: I think both of you have read my posts and know me well enough to know my tastes. If you are so inclined and care to look at my wardrobe I would love suggestions of houses to explore. Living where I do I have limited exposure to many niche houses but I have some. I have pretty much explored what is to be had in Portland and in San Francisco I have visited and explored what Barneys, Saks and Neiman-Marcus have to offer plus the Hermes and Dyptique stores and the limited selection at Gumps which most people never mention. I know I want to sniff out Mancera but there are so many more and really need some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
I'd probably need to think about it a little more and maybe add to the list, but I'd actually focus chiefly on the things in the NY stores that you can't find anywhere else. Honestly, it'd be quite a massive list to compile. So were I you, I'd assume you can smell almost anything that Barney's, Saks, and, Bergdorf has anywhere else except for a couple of key things:

JAR, for example, is only in Bergdorf. You should try that entire line as you won't find them anywhere else, but just be warned about the prices and save your pennies just in case ;)

I think the Luten's Bell Jars are only in NY and LA right now, and they represent the best stuff that Lutens has to offer, so I'd look at:

Musc Koublai Khan
Boxeuses
Irish Silver Mist
Sarrasins
Serge Noir
El Attarine
De Profundis
Chene

and Barney's probably still has exclusive rights to:

DS & Durga:
Isle Ryder

Aside from that, I can't think of anything else right now that you can't find elsewhere. Bergdorf has Roja Dove, but they might be a bit too pedestrian. They're essentially new takes on older styles with laughably obscene price tag. They're excellent, don't get me wrong, but I can't imagine they'll do that much for you. Diaghilev's nice, though. Similar to Clive Christian, they're just expensive for the sake of being expensive. Osswalds has them too.

MiN has exclusivity with Kerosene, but aside from "Creature" (his best scent by a mile), I can't imagine it'd be your thing. Aedes have a couple of their own scents (I don't like them myself, but you should smell the rhubarb one). Twisted Lily is probably the best bet for an experience closer to something like Scent Bar, and I'd definitely seek out CB I Hate People's stuff. You should be able to find them in the city somewhere without actually having to go to the Brooklyn shop.

If you've never been to Le Labo, that's worth a visit. It's close to MiN and Santa Maria Novella in SoHo.

Last: pro-tip. Demeter have massive displays of their whole line in drugstores in NY. The Duane Reade on 35th and Broadway should have them all. Honestly, some of them are pretty decent and they're like $15 each or something. I still wear Funeral Home quite often.

If I think of more, I'll let you know, but I'd hit the NY only stuff first and foremost.

Last edited:

PalmBeach

Apr 5, 2012
Twisted Lily now offers DS Durga and have just added Masque Milano. Osswalds offered the full range from Profumum, MDCI and several others.

I think you will find the experiences at Twisted Lily and Osswalds quite enjoyable. As Deadidol mentioned or subtly referenced, others can be a bit pretentious or off putting.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Wherever you wind up Akahina on your fragrance journey, take a few credit cards with you that have lots of room to absorb!

Akahina

Jun 9, 2011
Looks like Osswalds and Bergdorf are on my short list. Will probably go to Barneys too since their SF store treats me so well and I need to check out the bell jars there. JAR is something I have never sampled so I must seek them out too. Thanks for the help shortening my list! I also need to seek out Guerlain, which I think is Saks. And if I make it to Brooklyn, Twisted Lily too!

Last edited:

Latest News