New to this world and got some questions

Adham5

Nov 22, 2022
Hello guys im new to the perfumery world and got some questions.

1. Im planning to buy some materials but i dont know where (i found some websites but i dont know if theyre reliable or not)
2. As i said i just started so i dont want to spend much money, as a beginner is starting with 10-15 different materials is enough or do i need more
3. Its not really a question, its more like a recommendation thing, what aromas or smells should i start with that will suit me (a kid in his mid 20's) XD

Thank you all in advance

P.S. I posted this for the 2nd time, 1st time was in the wrong place so i hope this is the right place to do so.

WestOzDave

Basenotes Member
Mar 26, 2021
Hi Adham5,
The answer to pretty much all of of your questions will be found in this forum. They have been asked multiple times, with similar answers... so the best and simplest thing to do is use the search bar top right. A tip...next to where you type your search word or phrase you will see "Everywhere". Change that to "This Forum" and it will refine your questions to where they need to be asked and searched. Have fun reading and learning. Don't be afraid to ask questions ...but remember ..they probably have been asked many times before and a quick search will probably answer most of them for you. Also the welcome to Forum post - will answer a lot of questions too. https://basenotes.com/threads/welcome-new-at-diy-fragrance-members-read-this-first.393147/

chyprefresh

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2018
Since you aren't willing to go all out I'll cut that list 1/4:
You'll need these 25 super useful core materials I recommend to get your feet wet and build the basic structure of many fragrances, albeit without the novel ornamental notes: Dihydromyrcenol, Linalool, Linalyl Acetate, Bergamot oil, Orange oil or Limonene, Hedione, Hydroxycitronellal, Galaxolide, Ethylene brassylate, Citral, Citronellol, Geraniol, Iso E Super, Clearwood, Fructalate, Aldehyde C-12 MNA, Aldehyde C-14, Veramoss, Sandela, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Coumarin, Ethyl maltol, Ambroxan, Norlimbanol. This list covers many fragrance types, giving you flexibility and a chance to learn very quickly.

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Since you aren't willing to go all out I'll cut that list 1/4:
You'll need these 25 super useful core materials I recommend to get your feet wet and build the basic structure of many fragrances, albeit without the novel ornamental notes: Dihydromyrcenol, Linalool, Linalyl Acetate, Bergamot oil, Orange oil or Limonene, Hedione, Hydroxycitronellal, Galaxolide, Ethylene brassylate, Citral, Citronellol, Geraniol, Iso E Super, Clearwood, Fructalate, Aldehyde C-12 MNA, Aldehyde C-14, Veramoss, Sandela, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Coumarin, Ethyl maltol, Ambroxan, Norlimbanol. This list covers many fragrance types, giving you flexibility and a chance to learn very quickly.
Chypre's list is a good starting point, and I would add Exaltolide, and Silvanone Supra, for two more musks to place in the base.

dwsel

Basenotes Member
Jun 23, 2021
I really like Sam Macer analitical approach towards the beginners materials:

Also if you just start you will enjoy the quality tutorials from him.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...