New release: Terre d'Hermès Eau Givrée

Jul 7, 2012
If it's anything like Hero, I'm going to be sorely disappointed. A lot of designer juniper notes end up (to me) being more just abstract, slightly astringent green-pine notes that don't have the biting sharpness of real juniper, where it almost verges on cat pee or something.

I agree, but to me, a lot of modern juniper notes smell chemical. There's a shrill harshness to many that doesn't smell natural at all. I sure hope this one doesn't.

basicDave

Feb 7, 2014
Definitely curious to smell this, but I definitely won't blind buy it either. TdH EIV was not good IMO. It was enjoyable for the first hour, and then it kind of fell apart. And I'm still undecided on how I feel about H24. I blind bought it on release and have waffled between liking it and regret. Now I mostly wear a spray or two to the gym. At this point I don't trust the perfumer.

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
I'm looking forward to this as I thought TdH ETF was very nice and Givree is apparently its successor as "TdH Freshie". While I agree juniper (as a note) seems popular recently, I think the scents mentioned are still very different.

basicDave

Feb 7, 2014
The more I think about it, the more I want to smell this. After making that post about not really liking what Nagel's works, I wore the rest of my sample of TdH EIV and did several wearings of H24 from my 100ml bottle. After wearing TdH EIV again, I do like the first two hours a lot. It's a very dry citrus/grapefruit/pepper combination that's fresh and refined. But after the 4 hour mark it seemed to die. There were faint wisps, but it came across as dry, peppery woods.

And H24 is pretty good. The fragrance is kind of hard to pin down. The opening is fresh, a little fruity sweetness at first, dry and green. And then then the narcissus comes in... and the base lasts a long time. I can smell this stuff no problem all day. At first it didn't seem very masculine, but after wearing it a couple times and getting feedback from my wife, it's pretty good.

So overall, if Nagel combines the best elements of TdH EIV (citrus opening, Sichuan pepper) and H24 (fresh, long-lasting), and adds some new twists with juniper, then this stuff could be really good. Again, I really want to smell this stuff.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I haven't seen it yet. I asked the Hermes SA at Bloomingdales about this last week and he said Fall. That doesn't seem right, I mean to get a second opinion.

Seems like a great summer scent. "Fall" would also (IMO) be the expected disinformation for a late spring appearance to get some "OMG, it's here now" buzz.

vertatre

Dec 21, 2010
I visited my local Bloomingdale's on Sunday and the SA who I have frequented a lot told me he was to have "training" for this new fragrance on Tuesday (maybe an Hermes rep introduces it to all the fragrance managers in advance? ). I can't remember if 'training' was the word he used, may have, but it must be coming soon I'd imagine.

Larry Hoover

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 18, 2015
Has this been discontinued?
Yes, apparently someone mailed Hermes and they said:

"European legislation has declared allergen a component widely used in perfumery. Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche contained this component and it was not possible to substitute it without distorting the fragrance. Terre d'Hermes Eau Très Fraîche is thus removed from our collections.
A new Terre d'Hermès Eau Givrée fragrance will be released soon before this summer. It will be different but will offer another interpretation of freshness. We thank you for your trust and understanding."

So if you enjoy this one it's best to buy a bottle now. I just bought a bottle just in case a few days ago.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Yes, apparently someone mailed Hermes and they said:

"European legislation has declared allergen a component widely used in perfumery. Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche contained this component and it was not possible to substitute it without distorting the fragrance. Terre d'Hermes Eau Très Fraîche is thus removed from our collections.
A new Terre d'Hermès Eau Givrée fragrance will be released soon before this summer. It will be different but will offer another interpretation of freshness. We thank you for your trust and understanding."

So if you enjoy this one it's best to buy a bottle now. I just bought a bottle just in case a few days ago.
Ah ok thanks.

bartholomew

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 6, 2016
I just tried it, sprayed twice on the back of my hand.

Have to say I quite like it. Opens up with an intense blast of lemon/citron zest and settles down to fresh, spicy, peppery woods with the citrus still lingering in the background. Similar structure as the original Terre using different notes. I like the fact it’s fresh without being sweet, because the combination of mineral and spicy notes and the citron result in a bitterness and, indeed, an ‘icy’ feel I really enjoy. This should be very nice, refreshing and classy in warmer weather.

Can’t really compare it to Eau Tres Fraiche because I don’t own it and I last tried it a long time ago, but from memory I’d say it’s a lot closer to the original Terre than it is to Tres Fraiche (or any of the other flankers).

Sprayed it on 1.5 hours ago and it’s still radiating from my skin.

basicDave

Feb 7, 2014
I just tried it, sprayed twice on the back of my hand.

Have to say I quite like it. Opens up with an intense blast of lemon/citron zest and settles down to fresh, spicy, peppery woods with the citrus still lingering in the background. Similar structure as the original Terre using different notes. I like the fact it’s fresh without being sweet, because the combination of mineral and spicy notes and the citron result in a bitterness and, indeed, an ‘icy’ feel I really enjoy. This should be very nice, refreshing and classy in warmer weather.

Can’t really compare it to Eau Tres Fraiche because I don’t own it and I last tried it a long time ago, but from memory I’d say it’s a lot closer to the original Terre than it is to Tres Fraiche (or any of the other flankers).

Sprayed it on 1.5 hours ago and it’s still radiating from my skin.
Nice! Let us know what you think about the drydown and how long it lasts all together

bartholomew

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 6, 2016
Nice! Let us know what you think about the drydown and how long it lasts all together
I'm disappointed to say it kinda fell apart into a faint woody dryness after 4 hours or so. I still like it overall but longevity wasn't the greatest on me today. Might have to try again in warmer weather, temperature's around 12C / 53F in my location right now.

I won't rush out to buy it for now however.

Apr 18, 2018
I'm disappointed to say it kinda fell apart into a faint woody dryness after 4 hours or so. I still like it overall but longevity wasn't the greatest on me today. Might have to try again in warmer weather, temperature's around 12C / 53F in my location right now.

How does its drydown compare to the drydown of Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche?

basicDave

Feb 7, 2014

Good to know, thanks. That was my impression of her other TdH flanker EIV. (Opening and first 2-3 hours was very nice, but then it died - the base wasn't very dynamic and didn't come alive again).

An Hermes Boutique just opened up here in Austin, so I might go try it on my lunch break.

Latest News