NEW Ralph Lauren - Polo Cologne Intense Eau de Parfum

eriqesque

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 29, 2020
Absolutely love this. Very fresh and clean with a wonderful dry down. Excellent nod to original.
Scent lasts for a long time on me. Just completed an order through Sephora for an 8 ounce. The price of the fragrance is unbeatable.

ToughCool

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
I've been following your experiences with this one as I think we may have some tastes in common. I don't need a ton of sillage; I wear most scents for me. I do like longevity. How's this one last with maybe 4 sprays for you? EDPs I generally expect to wear a bit close but to hang around most of the day. Not sure if that's the case with a smaller number of sprays with this one?

Sorry just seeing this TRBeck. After the heavy dose the one day I dialed it back to around 4 sprays and it still lasted all day on me. I get whiffs all day. I will say I’m a shirt sprayer though. Chest and shirt. I enjoy this everytime I wear it

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I just noticed on Ulta that methyl anthranilate is used at "listing required" levels, which it was not in Escada Magnetism For Men. Could be interesting. This can add a strong grape effect, but generally makes things like citrus and florals stronger, richer, and wilder. Often used in florientals, per Bois de Jasmin.

Alcohol, Parfum / Fragrance, Aqua / Water, Limonene, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Linalool, Eugenol, Citral, Coumarin, Geraniol, Citronellol, Methyl Anthranilate.

The most common descriptions are earthy and woody - sounds like patch.

For me, the definitive and best part of original Polo is a very tight and long-lasting green herbal and "live coniferous" aspect that lasts and lasts. Hoping they kept that, and looking at the notes chosen for listing, I suspect they did.

TRBeck

May 27, 2008
Sorry just seeing this TRBeck. After the heavy dose the one day I dialed it back to around 4 sprays and it still lasted all day on me. I get whiffs all day. I will say I’m a shirt sprayer though. Chest and shirt. I enjoy this everytime I wear it

No worries. Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking I'll probably pick this one up at some point this spring/summer. I'm a chest/undershirt sprayer, too. I gotta take a break on buying for a bit, but this will be short-listed for my next purchase. Thanks again for the feedback. I guess having tested it in store the next step might be getting a sample to wear for a few days...

Basteri

Sep 8, 2008
Trying to capitalize on the name of a masterpiece usually ends badly.
The only two good example that come to my mind are cars and watches. Porsche has been printing money with their flagship 911 and Rolex has been successfully manufacturing sport tool watches for the past 50 years. Both are kings. Why? Mainly because if something works don't change it. Rolex and Porsche barely modify they product, there is consistency only unchanged by sublet modifications over time.

Polo miserably failed because they did not respect enough their own heritage. The only resemblance to the original is a shade of green that anticipates the disaster to come.
The fragrance itself belong in a discount shops next to any other under 25 dollars.
Is there any hints of Polo Green? For a moment, well hidden in the juice mess you might detect a hologram of Polo Green so ephemeral that makes you wonder if this is a product of your own wishful thinking. However if you close your eyes and think Bleu the Chanel you brain will take you there, if you think Aventus your brain will also say "of course" if you think Viking also there. In other words too many things leading to nothing.

TRBeck

May 27, 2008
I'm wearing this one again today, and right now I'm glad I got a decent-sized decant to sample from, as I'm enjoying this and am intrigued to see how its facets come into view with further wearings.

I'm getting a direct line from Polo Green through Varvatos Vintage to this juice right now. The basil in the opening came through as much as the mint for me today, and the heart revealed itself a little more. That connects it to both Vintage and the original Polo Green, but it's the way the evergreen accord plays here that makes it more Vintage, as there's kind of a soapy juniper feel to it (maybe a result of the use of thyme?). Alongside the violet leaf - which I got more clearly today than on previous occasions - and a touch of jasmine, this feels like the original Polo DNA updated a bit with fresher florals. I can get the lift and scratchiness of the ambroxan in the base, but it mainly seems to have a little flattening effect on the other notes. The patchouli is coming through better today for me, too, although it's really cleaned up isolates and has little of the earthen leather feel of the OG. It's closer to the territory Vintage occupies in that regard. This is not nearly as sweet as the Varvatos and lacks the old-money sheen of classic Polo, but I'm getting the lineage of both of those frags. Anyone else pick up a Varvatos-y vibe in this juice?

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
I sampled this on the paper strip today along with Bleu de Chanel, and K by D&G. I think people said earlier in the thread that it had a shower gel vibe to it, so I wanted to contrast it with those type of scents.

Bleu de Chanel had been a while for me, and it reminded me of a bolder Missoni Pour Homme. Good scent, not nearly as chemical as I remember, but kind of boring now that I smelled that style everywhere.

K by Dolce & Gabbana is extremely fresh and almost sweet/fruity smelling by comparison. I really like it, but a bit sharp but fresh if that makes sense. My nose was kind of burning from these two strong scents.

Polo Cologne Intense was like a different animal. It was an olfactory relief first off, because it was more subdued. And it turned out to be a surprise hit with me, at least on paper. It's probably just the name and colored bottle influencing me, but I feel like it's got the spirit of the OG Polo, just done for 2021. It's got that modernity that the dark blue scents have but it has some maturity to it without being an outright "mature" scent. I was kind of getting some light Polo Safari vibes from it too, just not dated.

I'm going to have to do a skin test, but so far i'm really impressed with this. I'm digging it way more than the original Polo.

TRBeck

May 27, 2008
Wearing this again right now. I may be in the minority, but I’m enjoying it more every time I wear it. The Polo DNA is cleaned up and blended differently, but it’s apparent all the way through the heart, which lasts for quite a while on my skin. Even the patch/ambroxan duo in the base is done better than in most modern fragrances. Distinctive and versatile enough to be a signature scent IMO if one is into that. I think there’s been some harsh judgment on this; it’s neither boring nor abrasive and just works in every phase of its development.

eriqesque

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 29, 2020
Wearing this again right now. I may be in the minority, but I’m enjoying it more every time I wear it. The Polo DNA is cleaned up and blended differently, but it’s apparent all the way through the heart, which lasts for quite a while on my skin. Even the patch/ambroxan duo in the base is done better than in most modern fragrances. Distinctive and versatile enough to be a signature scent IMO if one is into that. I think there’s been some harsh judgment on this; it’s neither boring nor abrasive and just works in every phase of its development.

Agree wholeheartedly. Very wearable and likeable refresh of a classic.

TRBeck

May 27, 2008
I wish this was in the directory! The latest K flanker and Light Blue got in, so come on. I wear this about once a week or so and I'm much less anosmic to it (FINALLY) than when I first got my bottle.

Agreed. I can’t even properly mark it as my SOTD. Glad you’re enjoying it still and that you’re picking it up better. I am getting good longevity and ample projection for my preferences, too.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I wish this was in the directory! The latest K flanker and Light Blue got in, so come on. I wear this about once a week or so and I'm much less anosmic to it (FINALLY) than when I first got my bottle.

Agreed. I can’t even properly mark it as my SOTD. Glad you’re enjoying it still and that you’re picking it up better. I am getting good longevity and ample projection for my preferences, too.

I just submitted it using the page. Grant will have it up in a few days.

https://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

This is an old page, but Grant is using it heavily now because it's faster for him.

Minimal data is name, house, gender, but launch year, notes, official description, perfumer(s), and URL of an official picture help. Watch this one when it comes up.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
I just submitted it using the page. Grant will have it up in a few days.

https://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

This is an old page, but Grant is using it heavily now because it's faster for him.

Minimal data is name, house, gender, but launch year, notes, official description, perfumer(s), and URL of an official picture help. Watch this one when it comes up.

Ah, thank you, sir!

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
Agree wholeheartedly. Very wearable and likeable refresh of a classic.

I gave this a skin test the other day and I wasn't as impressed. The opening and middle very much feel like a refresh or modern day remix of the classic. I think this part of it is great. And I agree that the ambroxan is done very well, very smooth. But when it dries down the base it gets kind of boring and generic to me. I probably gotta give it some more wearings though. I mean, I was disappointed in Rive Gauche when I finally got it, and it took me like 10-15 wearings to finally see the magic in it.

All in all though, I think it's a worthy attempt at modernizing the original. I'm not going to buy it right now, but I'll try sampling it some more times to break it in. It seems like it does have the potential to be a signature scent.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008

ToughCool

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
Thank you for the update! And a great review in there from the even greater Varanis Ridari (Zealout).

Agree! Great review and agree that this can hold its own without the comparison. My only problem with this is it’s the only scent in my collection where I don’t really have a feel of when to wear it. I’ve gone way above my normal bottle limit this year ..which is still small…so this one seems to get passed over at times for a new buy/present or something older. I started to think it was meh and then lately started smelling the sprayer and using it off and on and it’s really nicely done and has grown on me….and honestly my original descriptions still stand.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Thank you for the update! And a great review in there from the even greater Varanis Ridari (Zealout).

Yeah, I can tell you that's a brilliant review, not even having smelled it, because his sidebar throwaway tangential thought on H24, which I have smelled, is the wisest thing since Luca Turin and Chandler Burr!

yourthemannowdog

Jan 22, 2021
I like this better than Ralph’s Club. This is more it’s own thing. To me this is Polo Crest Summer.
i didn't smell any polo crest in the bottle i sampled .polo crest was basically vintage polo greens base just brighter and the bottle i sampled smelled like savage not crest

TRBeck

May 27, 2008
i didn't smell any polo crest in the bottle i sampled .polo crest was basically vintage polo greens base just brighter and the bottle i sampled smelled like savage not crest

Comparisons to Sauvage are off IMO. There’s some ambroxan. It isn’t overdosed, it’s balanced by patchouli and a dose of evernyl, there’s no monster bergamot blast, and there’s nothing parched or scratchy about it. It is made with modern ingredients but doesn’t smell much like any other contemporary frag.

Mikeaveli2682

Apr 18, 2018
Comparisons to Sauvage are off IMO. There’s some ambroxan. It isn’t overdosed, it’s balanced by patchouli and a dose of evernyl, there’s no monster bergamot blast, and there’s nothing parched or scratchy about it. It is made with modern ingredients but doesn’t smell much like any other contemporary frag.

THIS. There's very little in common with Sauvage to my nose apart from ambroxan in the note listing.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019

I’m wearing this again today in pushing-80 Seattle weather, and the more I spend time with it, the more I enjoy it. I agree with this though, it doesn’t have that scratchy Sauvage vibe. To me it’s closer to Aventus in its use of ambroxan. The note pyramids are different, but the overall effect is reminiscent. Smooth, fresh, herbal and green with a good mix of modern formulation Polo DNA and well-integrated synthetics. I like layering it with Cedrat Boise.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
After a few wears, I kind of lose my love for this. My nose tires of it rather quickly. But I have found that I really enjoy this after leaving it on the shelf for a week or so and coming back to it. It has that classic Polo in the background with a refreshing citrus and zest in the opening that surprises me when I make myself leave it on the shelf for several days and then revisit it.

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
After a few wears, I kind of lose my love for this. My nose tires of it rather quickly. But I have found that I really enjoy this after leaving it on the shelf for a week or so and coming back to it. It has that classic Polo in the background with a refreshing citrus and zest in the opening that surprises me when I make myself leave it on the shelf for several days and then revisit it.

I can see that.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
I have to make it a point to give this one a couple more sample wearings. The opening and middle are pretty nice, and I get a hint of the OG Polo just modernized. It's when it dries down further that it kind of gets into generic territory. But maybe that's pretty good in a casual, work-scent, sports deodorant type of way. It smells "blue" to me, but I don't think it's nearly as fizzy as stuff like K by D&G and Dylan Blue.

Latest News