NEW Ralph Lauren - Polo Cologne Intense Eau de Parfum

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Saw this a bit ago. Polo Cologne Intense, as an EdP.

Edit: Ah, here we go! https://www.ulta.com/polo-cologne-intense-eau-de-parfum?productId=pimprod2023258

Has ambroxan, ehh, hm.

"Irreverent. Confident. Masculine. A Polo cologne for a new generation. The iconic perfume for men is reinvented to combine the fresh elegance of a cologne with the intensity and depth of a sophisticated Eau de Parfum. The Polo Cologne Intense Eau de Parfum from Ralph Lauren is an earthy & woody masculine blend of fresh grapefruit and cooling sage is balanced with the signature smooth tones of intense patchouli.

The iconic Polo classic cologne bottle is updated with a rich modern hue and striking gunmetal cap and Polo Pony logo.

Fragrance Family: Fresh
Scent Type: Woody & Earthy
Key Notes:
Top - basil oil, spearmint oil, grapefruit oil
Middle - clary sage oil, violet leaf absolute, thyme oil
Base - patchouli palette, ambroxan, vetiver oil"

S1O8nah.png

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
Woah, ambroxan. Sounds interesting and definitely worth a sniff.

EDIT: I have to say, that's kind of lame for Ulta to list it on their website, but it's not available to buy or pick up anywhere. I searched several nearby cities and, when in doubt, New York, NY, and nope... not available for online order or in-store purchases. They should have just listed an expected release date.

NettyYeti

Jan 28, 2016
Interesting. The notes and description don’t really excite me, but I will definitely try it.

Also of possible interest: it has the same name (“Cologne Intense”) as the new Azzaro flanker. I haven’t had this kind of deja vu since Dante’s Peak and Volcano were at the box office.

ToughCool

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
I loved Modern Reserve and purchased it in the spot and did an instant review thread. So I can’t see me not buying this just because Polo was my 80s stuff so I’ll take the shot

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Oh that would be blasphemous...worse than the great Kouros excommunication....those are the two most cherished colognes of my youth.

Yves Saint Laurent Parfums is basically Gucci 2.0

A house with zero respect for their own legacy, artistic visions, or accomplishments, zombie-marching into the future with an army of fruity jello cup waters because the HAL 9000 installed by the suits told them that's what people want based on the sales graphs it was fed.

Ralph Lauren isn't quite there (although the big pony scents were bad)

The Cologne Cabinet

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 22, 2014
Sounds like another sad addition to all the other relatively recent horrific Polo offerings. Thank goodness for the brilliant original (and Crest).

+ 1,000

I would love to get excited about this, but man have the flankers been a letdown. Unless the reviews are surprisingly great, I'll sample once it hits Ebay and then go from there....

The Cologne Cabinet

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 22, 2014
Yves Saint Laurent Parfums is basically Gucci 2.0

A house with zero respect for their own legacy, artistic visions, or accomplishments, zombie-marching into the future with an army of fruity jello cup waters because the HAL 9000 installed by the suits told them that's what people want based on the sales graphs it was fed.

Ralph Lauren isn't quite there (although the big pony scents were bad)

I will never say never, but once Ralph passes away that could be all it takes to start "reorganizing" the wardrobe. They won't discontinue the flagship men's fragrance while he is still around.....

ToughCool

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
Sounds like another sad addition to all the other relatively recent horrific Polo offerings. Thank goodness for the brilliant original (and Crest).

Maybe I’m a simple man and in the minority but I feel like they greatly improved the Blue line with the EDP and Blue Gold(the best of Blue). I still find the complete Polo line is quite classy, albeit boring. But that’s me. I kind of like the boringness. It may be the prep romanticism of my youth

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I will never say never, but once Ralph passes away that could be all it takes to start "reorganizing" the wardrobe. They won't discontinue the flagship men's fragrance while he is still around.....

Likely similar explanation for YSL. When he passed in 08, L'Oréal started shuffling older stuff into "La Collection" at higher prices per ml (then discontinued them all), while focusing on the L'Homme lines and Y. I can't say I know exactly what has happened to the femme lines (since women's stuff isn't as prone to trends and tends to stay on the market longer), but it was definitely under rug swept we go once the man was gone.

Anyways, I need a new bottle of Polo, My Cosmair is low and I keep avoiding it for that reason. The old bottom-of-the-bottle blues.

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003
Maybe I’m a simple man and in the minority but I feel like they greatly improved the Blue line with the EDP and Blue Gold(the best of Blue).
Well, Blue was highly disappointing (and unfortunately a blind buy that I quickly regretted and eventually gave away)... I remember trying Blue Gold from a sample years later and thought it smelled better than Blue, but that was a pretty low bar.

ToughCool

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
Well, Blue was highly disappointing (and unfortunately a blind buy that I quickly regretted and eventually gave away)... I remember trying Blue Gold from a sample years later and thought it smelled better than Blue, but that was a pretty low bar.

That’s fine. I never liked the original Blue much but the others I enjoyed. But again, everyone is different. I felt Modern Reserve was a great scent too. The original Polo Green is still my favorite but I’ve enjoyed the line compared to many that try too hard.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
Maybe I’m a simple man and in the minority but I feel like they greatly improved the Blue line with the EDP and Blue Gold(the best of Blue). I still find the complete Polo line is quite classy, albeit boring. But that’s me. I kind of like the boringness. It may be the prep romanticism of my youth

I also really like Polo Blue Eau de Parfum. It's a more mature approach to the modern blue trend while still having a unique identity. I haven't tried the other Blue flankers.

I don't think I've encountered a Polo that I disliked. But I have yet to try the various Reds, Supremes, and the newer Blue variants. And those are all the newest ones, right?

And what a name. Each term could be its own flanker.

I'm guessing "Polo Cologne" is there way of saying "Polo Green" so people don't get mixed up with Polo Blue Eau de Parfum. Presumably if this one is a hit, they would later release an EdT strength.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I'm still hoping they'll bring back the original pine heavy Warner version of Polo green someday...but I know I'm hoping in vain.

I'm extremely curious about the blending of this note list. I'm not generally a fan of thyme in fragrance and I prefer peppermint to spearmint as well in perfume...but hey it's definitely worth a sniff.

If I'm being honest, I'm disappointed that this amazing looking forest green bottle with gun metal cap isn't a fir heavy Polo green formulation. I really do love the presentation for this one...looks nice.

Darvant

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2010
We'll see and smell, not a fan of ambroxan, the classic Polo is a perfect orchestra so I wonder how this "new edp ambroxan-depth" could sensibly be set inside the original Polo olfactive piney-woodsy harmony.

notspendingamillion

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 2, 2018
That bottle is fantastic. Its a nod to masculinity, but updated. Without going all blue, ultra speed, doritos locos, double black, capri sun extreme. There are some guys who appreciate traditional masculinity, but like updated fragrances. I hope this aims for them. The Beau de Jour crowd. The note break down is puzzling, as is the name. Im not optimistic, though i appreciate the sentiment, will try it for sure, maybe even buy it if its half decent.

NickZee

Sep 19, 2014

I completely agree, Ralph Lauren have redeemed themselves for their market, they cant be expected to please perfumistas. Deep Blue, Supreme Leather, Blue Gold, all great.

emtee

Jun 4, 2018
This is actually sounds quite nice and I’m excited to try it. Bottle looks great but lol at Cologne intense eau de Parfum. It’s like they pulled various words out of a hat and stuck them together.

Latest News