New perfume house "Yili olfactory art"

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Hello everyone, stumbled upon a new perfume house from China whos creations speak to me even by names themselves.
Hustler, Pimp, Witch, Hunter, Thief, Desperado - its all i want to be when i grow up :grin:

Jokes aside, this does look interesting, they even have oud themed perfume which might not be novelty theme wise but interesting how Chinese work with it. They seem to take care in aesthetics as well. It is the first house from China that i have heard of so wonder if anyone tried them, if there is any feedback as i didnt find any. Perfumes not cheap either, and i would be glad to order samples, but shipping is a killer as well.

https://www.yiliperfume.com/shop

Thanks for taking a look and any feedback :)

Last edited:

the blood on 530 27

Dec 5, 2016
Still haven’t got a chance to try (they’re really … shy? For us oversea-er). But I heard a lot of good things about their works, they have some solid stuff. Especially the one featuring tea: Kala.

Minotauro

Jul 12, 2021
Hi, I live in China and I know Yili and her perfumes, as I have mentioned before in one thread called "Made in China".
It is a very interesting brand.

As I have said previously in recent years things have changed a bit in China with a greater spread of perfume brands, especially in women and young people.
Many niche perfume brands are opening boutiques in the country's biggest cities and making their way.

And many national brands try to do things well, a month ago I was able to try AroMag fragrances and they are very clear about how to do something attractive (and it is not the only company).
They collaborate with well-known perfumers such as Olivier Cresp, Frank Voelkl etc (and is not the only company).
You can see their offers in this Taobao shop link (you can use web translator):
https://shop583994792.taobao.com/search.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.0.0.25b03b8atSKYww&search=y

I tried most of all and they smell very good; I am thinking of buying some, although I have to re-test them again since some seemed to have a rather short longevity.

On the other hand I have met by chance the Yili brand, a nose that makes niche type perfumes from Beijin.
Yili Li is a very nice, cultured woman and a great connoisseur of the history of perfumes. '
She is talented and constantly learning, she knows very well the most iconic perfumes in history and the launches of the big brands.

What attracted me the most about it is her laboratory, since it has very interesting raw materials, such as deer musk, oakmoss (if you get my drift lol).
In her shop she has an option called "bespoke" perfume: it is not as professional as going to visit her often and participate in the creation of your own perfume (which may also be possible with her, I do not know .... Beijing it is far for my city), but it is something a bit customized.
She asks you many questions, she wants to know your tastes in general, the notes that you like, dislike, etc. etc.

It was clear to me, I wanted a perfume whose heart was oakmoss and musk deer and that also had a small note of narcissus; somewhat animalic but versatile enough for day to day.
The result is a fragrance that I really like, because it smells very natural and different from most of the things we have today.
Reminds me a bit of the Davidoff for men from 1984.

The bottle is very beautiful, it is made in France, with a light wooden box that is very stylish.

Their latest releases ("Raphael collection") are really nice.

I don't know if it is possible to buy these perfumes from outside of China.

And I think they don't know what IFRA is here ... :tongue:
It may sound crazy, but if things continue like this, maybe in 20-30 years you will have to come on a pilgrimage to China like people used to go to Grasse ... :lolk:

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Yili is the mNPA Chairman of the jury - 2021
Old Man from Yili's brand won an award in 2020.

China_niche_perfumery_awards_2019.jpg

Set to become an annual event, the mNPA – Minorité Niche Perfumery Awards – is a collaboration between the niche Chinese fine fragrance and distribution company Minorité and Firmenich, the largest privately-owned fragrance and flavour company.

‘The awards encourage the creation of innovative fragrances with an artistic touch, based on a unique approach. The nomination jury included leading perfumers, senior fragrance critics and Key Opinion Leaders who were responsible for nominating the candidates and shortlisting the finalists for each award category. Winners were then chosen by public vote.’

And the winners were…

Best Independent Niche Perfumes 2019: Fig-Tea by Nicolaï; Hermann A Mes Cotes Me Paraissait Une Ombre by Etat Libre d`Orange; The Orchid Man by Frapin.
Best Niche Perfumes Affiliated with a Group 2019: Oolang Infini by Atelier Cologne; L`Ombre Dans L`Eau (EDT) by diptyque; Florabellio by diptyque.
Best Chinese Niche Perfume 2019: Insects Awaken by KONG BAI; Wind by UTTORI; Rosmanthus by O D’HORA.

For the second installment of mNPA, held in Shanghai, Firmenich was tapped as the exclusive partner for minorité's event.

The mNPA showcases authentic Chinese niche creations that reflect domestic social and cultural influences, while celebrating international niche fine fragrance brands that have gained recognition in China.

Winners were selected for the creation of innovative fragrances with an artistic touch and based on a unique approach.

The nomination jury included leading perfumers, senior fragrance critics and key opinion leaders who were responsible for nominating the candidates and shortlisting the finalists for each award category. Winning perfumes were then chosen by public vote.

IMG_8734.JPG

The winners of the mNPA 2020 included:

Best Independent Niche Perfumes 2020: Atramental by Room 1015; Black Tar by Parfumerie Particulierè; Sottosopra by Calé Fragranze d’Autore; Mad Madame by Juliette Has a Gun.
Best Niche Perfumes Affiliated with a Group 2020: Tender by Miller Harris; Fou d’Absinthe by L’Artisan Parfumeur; Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle.
Best Chinese Niche Perfumes 2020: White Dew by Kongbai; Farouche by Uttori; Old Man by YILI Olfactory Art.
Annual Niche Perfume of the Year 2020: Dans Tes Bras by Frederic Malle.

Out of the list of winners so far, I have only tried Atramental by Room 1015.

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
And I think they don't know what IFRA is here ... :tongue:
It may sound crazy, but if things continue like this, maybe in 20-30 years you will have to come on a pilgrimage to China like people used to go to Grasse ... :lolk:
The Chinese market is huge. China's luxury market it will soon be the largest in the world.
They're probably not interested in the Western market yet.

But in 10-20 years they will comply IFRA rules and the Western market will be flooded with quality affordable perfumes.
That will be good for the Chinese companies, for distributors in the Western countries, for buyers, but not for the Western companies and jobs here*.
C'est la vie.

*I don't live in one of the Western countries, but we are in Europe, it will affect us too.

Latest News