NEW from Frédéric Malle, "Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle"

hawk

Aug 8, 2009
"Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle" is to be released in February.

the Notes which look amazing: (quoted from fragrantica) citron, sandalwood, guaiac wood, saffron, Spanish jasmine, tonka beans, Cashmeran/blonde woods, vanilla and musk.

This sounds interesting: "Not only is the collaboration with a fashion designer news, it's also an innovation on the formula front, as the new Malle perfume is touted to be inclusive of a new, natural Indian sandalwood from a sustainable source. Indian sandalwood, for those who didn't know, had essentially been eradicated from perfumery in the last 20 years or so, due to concerns and regulations on the sustainability of the Mysore sandalwood. The news therefore is a leap of hope for the industry in general and sure to create a real peak of interest in the heart of every perfume fan out there. The new fragrance is an oriental woody, smooth and polished like the designs of Van Noten."

forfreddie

Aug 10, 2011
Re: NEW from Frédéric Malle, "Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle"

Why am I not excited about it :(

OctaVariuM

Jul 28, 2012
Sounds interesting. Unfortunately my experience with sandalwood is limited (OS, MBI), and I didn't care for OS at all. I'm interested to see what Malle asked the nose to do with it.

sjg3839

Aug 21, 2012
Re: NEW from Frédéric Malle, "Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle"

Will try to sample when I get a chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Will try to sample when I get a chance.

DreamerII

Aug 29, 2005
some day Malle should release a magnolia perfume (with C. Benaime), the perfume created with Grojsman and of cource the next one with Ropion

gtsb

Jan 15, 2011
I get nervous about vanilla in perfumes... not exactly the most subtle note. The danger is that the vanilla could overwhelm the sandalwood note that is supposed to be the centerpiece of this perfume.

But if anyone can do it, Malle can, so I'm interested to see how it turns out!

Birdboy48

Jul 10, 2011
I've always admired Malle's approach to fragrance, and the way that they don't just pop out new frags one after another.

But I do wonder about this one. If it's going to have a fashion designer connection, and it's made by someone who's not a part of Malle's stable, how exactly will the association with Malle fit into the equation ?

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
Apparently Van Noten had been selling Malle's fragrances in his boutiques for some time, and this is what led to the collaboration. According to Fragrantica, this fragrance is the first of a new line for Malle in which he'll be collaborating with several fashion designers.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006

Kagey

Jan 2, 2011
I smelled it on Saturday. Nice but it didn't blow me away. Very sweet, woody, milky, spicy. Of course, I don't have the most sophisticated nose, but what's left on the card reminds me of M7 but with a bit of cream.

And nothing jumped out at me to scream "real Mysore sandalwood." This is from someone who used to wear the oil daily as a perfume and misses it like crazy.

hawk

Aug 8, 2009
I smelled it on Saturday. Nice but it didn't blow me away. Very sweet, woody, milky, spicy. Of course, I don't have the most sophisticated nose, but what's left on the card reminds me of M7 but with a bit of cream.

And nothing jumped out at me to scream "real Mysore sandalwood." This is from someone who used to wear the oil daily as a perfume and misses it like crazy.

Does it share anything with Costume National's 21 ? Sweet and milky is what I get from "21"

mr. reasonable

Jan 1, 2009
Judging by Denyse and Kagey's comments still sounding very interesting to me, Mike . . .

I used to wear pure oil in the 70's Kagey, and my nose is pretty finely attuned to mysore. Always on the lookout! I look forward to this regardless because even without any discernible mysore it sounds like my kinda thing, anyway and I doubt Malle would let anything sub-par slip thru, particularly given this is the launch of a diffusion line for him. And I am absolutely sure he wouldn't quote mysore from a sustainable Indian source in the press release if there wasn't at least SOME of the stuff in there somewhere :)

Several people described Santal Massoia as 'milky' as well - I like that one enough for 'what it is' but personally I think that was a misnomen, even if it does contain the Australian sandalwood - there is absolutely no resemblance IMO and I have compared both EO's over a few days.

Let's see.

Kagey

Jan 2, 2011
Does it share anything with Costume National's 21 ? Sweet and milky is what I get from "21"

Sorry, hawk - I'm not familiar with 21.

I can't wait to hear what others think when they try it. My assessment is probably totally off base. I didn't find it too similar to Santal Massoia, though. But I don't have the vocabulary to articulate it properly!

gandhajala

Sep 3, 2010
Sniffed it briefly yesterday : lactonic, sweet, with citrus in the opening and a balsam like accord. Anyone expecting a real Mysore sandalwood fragrance will, I fear, be disappointed. Might appeal to fans of P.G.'s Cadjméré.
Ultimately too sweet for my taste.

Latest News